bkoch

What do you like about doing Tandems?

Hey folks,

I'm interested in getting my Tandem rating as soon as I have 500 jumps, which I hope to have by this time next year if the waters don't rise. I only want to do Tandems one day a week and not have it as a primary job. I've heard what people don't like about Tandems, but I'd like to hear the brighter side as well.
What do you like about doing Tandems?

Brad

The energy from your students as soon as the canopy opens!!

Oh, no doubt! That's an amazing moment to share with your student. Nevermind all of that cool energy they have after landing.

Its even cooler when its a Cat A or Cat B tandem and they really start learning with you setting the foundation for their entire skydiving career.

Any more the only two jumps I get really excited about is a tandem and hop-n-pops to go swoop. Everything else is still a lot of fun, but man I love doing tandems...and swooping.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Brad-
At first they'll all be quite exciting. Scarry even. Tandem skydiving is a whole other aspect to this sport that most skydivers don't ever want to experience. But they don't know what they are missing. I've known a whole lot of people that never made it past 100 tandems. To them the risk wasn't worth the reward. No problem with that. We all choose our own paths. Hopefully when you do start doing tandems, you'll be in an environment that fosters safety and education. Choose your mentors wisely. And remember, just because someone has some more experience that you do at this doesn't mean that they are right. Use your head. Common sense rules. Never feel afraid to say no to a situation that you are not comfortable with. If you do that you may have a chance to give advise to the next person that asks the same questions that you are asking.
With all that out of the way, I agree that the smiles and the yahoos! that you get from your tandem students make you feel on top of the world. You never know who is going to give you that energy. Could be grandma, could be the sweaty hairy italian dude. Could be the big fat chick. Maybe you'll jump up and down when you get your paycheck. Maybe it will work for you when you take that hottie 22 year old and she meets you in the bar later that evening and you are her hero.
But this is not nearly as glamorous as some may think. You will get puked on. You will have people freak out, even pass out on you. There will be days when you can't buy a decent student. What it will come down to is if the good stuff out weighs the bad for you. And you'll never know until you try.
Good luck!
Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

Here is an old thread on the same subject. My answers remain the same.

I will add that tandems have allowed me to grow a lot as a skydiver and as a person. I have had people share with me afterward that their tandem was literally a life-changing event for them. My youngest sister made a tandem with me in 2002, and told me exactly that. She and I now share a bond that we didn't have before, which made us closer. I would not trade that particular skydive for the biggest of winning lottery tickets.

Great question!
Arrive Safely

John

Thanks folks for letting me know the bright side of tandems and the link to the other thread about this topic.

I'm jazzed about advancing in this sport. Since I'm in the Psychology field I am also intrigued at how people respond to an experience like skydiving for the first time.

Brad
"What kind of man would live a life without daring? Is life so sweet that we should criticize men that seek adventure? Is there a better way to die?"
- Charles Lindberg August 26th, 1938

You only get to make your first jump once, but every tandem allows another little taste of it by proxy.

Blues,
Dave

That's a good way to put it, Dave. It's great being right there as they are whooping and hollering and such. Being right there after the canopy opens and asking them "wasn't that GREAT?!" I love all forms of instructing, but I get the most "instant gratification" from tandems.

Chuck

You only get to make your first jump once, but every tandem allows another little taste of it by proxy.

Blues,
Dave

That's a good way to put it, Dave. It's great being right there as they are whooping and hollering and such. Being right there after the canopy opens and asking them "wasn't that GREAT?!" I love all forms of instructing, but I get the most "instant gratification" from tandems.

Chuck

And since I am not a TI - I get the same feeling when talking to the "students" on the way back to the hangar... That is awesome... Most are so excited - and I love to see the change from the way they looked in the plane to the way they look on the ground...B|

OK. I do enjoy giving people that first jump ex[erience. I am very part-time with tandems as I work in the other world during the week and don't want to take the fun out of my hobby. The people you take with you are the best part. But... Tandems are a lot of work and responsibility. It is the only skydive that you are directly responsible for your passenger right down to the ground. This is not to say that aff instructors don't sweat out their students canopy flights. Take a day and shadow a tandem instructor and see if you still want to deal with the whole package that is being a tandem instructor.