Pammi

Mr. Bill

Seriously hoping not to get flogged after this question, but here it goes...
What are some possibilities of things going wrong on a Mr. Bill and just how difficult is it to pull off? I have always thought it looked fun, and it didn't seem too big of a deal that if you don't get it, you fall off the other person then you pull yourself at the correct altitude. I know you also have to have a large canopy to accomodate two people's weight...but there has to be more to it or it'd happen more often then it does.
What else?
Closing pin jewelry

I watched a successful Mr. Bill at the Free Flight Festival. The tricks are
Big slow opening canopy
The only person with arms inside the harness is the one wearing the deploying rig (Too much force in deployment for the other to have arms inside harness. Thats how they get broken)
The one with container staying closed throws the pilot chute after a 1 sec or so delay out the door. Don't take too long and go unstable!!!!
Watch the handles!!!!
Watch your altitude once under canopy. It will go by pretty quick with double the loading.
Have fun....Smile!!!
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Easier and safer way......
Have Mr. Bill reach between the rig and back of the other jumper and hold their own wrists. Then have them wrap thier legs around Socko's legs allowing room for them to reach thier PC. Socko needs to step off the strut and deploy themselfs. Once the canopy opens, Mr. Bill can move around and if wanted, sit on Sockos shoulders for a bit. Socko needs to be prepared for Mr. Bills exit before they leap. Then its a simple jump for Mr.Bill, either from Socko's lap or sholders.
If there is a mal in deployment, there is no unwraping of people from harness's, just have Mr. Bill let go with his legs and wrists and off he falls.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

A few practical notes...
Do this dive in an old t-shirt and shorts (Mr. Bill is notorious for ripping clothing on opening).
If possible, an exit altitude of 7 or 8k is ideal. Mr. Bill needs to jump off by 5500 or so, and if he falls off on the first opening, Socko won't be stuck at 13500 all alone. It goes by quickly, but Socko will be ready to get rid of Mr. Bill after 3 grand of piggy backing anyhow.
I have done all my Mr. Bill dives from an Otter, most under a Sabre. The other posters have given some good options for how to hold on. I would highly recommend that you check with your S&TA for tips on how to pull this off safely. He or she will almost certainly have some useful input and things to avoid. Show him/ her how you plan to hold on. Walk through an exit at the mockup. I have been static lined on a few of my Mr. Bills. If you have someone you trust to do it for you (preferably an instructor) it is a good idea and will get you under a canopy with the softest opening.
I recommend tying a line with some slack between Socko's leg straps to be used as a foot hold for Mr. Bill AFTER THE OPENING. This makes it easier for Mr. Bill to climb up to your shoulders.
Thats about it, plan carefully and be safe. Oh yeah, enjoy the second freefall!!
Bryan

I saw with my own eyes (and JVC) a Mr. bill from a Super Otter under a VX 97. Adam and Jon flew the thing for 10,000 ft. while Lee docked a couple of times with a VX 69 I believe. I just followed along under my Vengeance 135 (feeling like a tandem floating along) shooting video. I had to go home after that one, and missed the one where they did the same thing, THEN, Jon drops 50 ft. of rope, and Adam rappels to the end and drops into space. Saw the video though. Looks cool as shit.
Anyway, Pammi, any canopy that opens slowly should work. But the smaller you go, the more "interesting" the flight will be!
And frappe hats are great for this if nothing else, they keep the tooth marks out of the forehead area, while not knocking the teeth out like a helmet might!!
Missy the 225 lb. Meat Missile
Sky World

Yup, what Farmer said. Use a C-182, IAD it, use a sniveller, don't take a grip that can't be broken without breaking you and TAKE A HOOK KNIFE!
Also, you might want to give Palmer a call, he invented the thing after all (seriously). :)Kris

My thoughts of doing a Mr Bill after an incident at our DZ....
Sort of goes like this:
1. The two guys go off linked but start to roll on the pull.
2. The passenger gets his foot caught in the lines as they are coming out of the container.
3. Passenger falls off pulling half of the now opening canopy down.
4. Semi inflated canopy now starts to spin wildly, with passenger still entangled in the lines. Who is now hanging
5 feet below his friend.
6. The lines are now cutting into the neck of "friend" who is now in a great deal of pain and losing orientation.
7. Passenger is shouting "Don't Chop it"
8. Spin increases in ferocity, so much so they are both going
horizontal.
9. Passenger is now screaming "Chop it, Chop it"
10. Friend chops main and falls onto spinning friend. Smokes it down to 2500 and deploys reserve!!!
11. Passenger is now upside down, spinning and entangled in the now chopped main.
12. He now manages to crawl up entangled leg and pull the lines from round ankle.
13. With great effort frees himself, falls and deploys main.
Both land safely and with only mild injuries and great embarrassment.
So how do I know that this is exactly what happened?
Just to say the video is awesome......... shot from below looking up.
Think I'll give it a miss and take up CReW instead, much safer.