howardwhite

What is this canopy? #32756

Where's the seventh color? I see red, white, black, blue, yellow, green

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yep. I figured it had to be orange, but with the lighting on the other one, I just couldn't tell.

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OK Howard. Your having way too much fun with this one.

So... we give up. What is this canopy?

I think he already answered - post #14 (One of Jalbert's early contraptions...looks like it has proto-cells and flares. This could be like the "growing-legs-and-crawling-up-on-the-beach" stage of evolution of ram-air, cell-type canopies:)

OK Howard. Your having way too much fun with this one.

So... we give up. What is this canopy?

I think he already answered - post #14 (One of Jalbert's early contraptions...looks like it has proto-cells and flares. This could be like the "growing-legs-and-crawling-up-on-the-beach" stage of evolution of ram-air, cell-type canopies:)

Oops, Thanks. I mixed up that name with the picture attached to post #13.
:$

looks like it has proto-cells and flares. This could be like the "growing-legs-and-crawling-up-on-the-beach" stage of evolution of ram-air, cell-type canopies)

Oddly, the same issue of Spotter had a short piece -- maybe contributed by me -- describing the new deployment system Pioneer was providing for the Volplane, replacing the hydraulic reefing system.

The new system consists of four D-rings interconnected in a rectangle by a "diaper" of webbing and fabric.....
During deployment the device momentarily keeps the bottom of the canopy reefed, then slides down the lines toward the risers.

Hmm, wonder what that thing was called?

HW

Hi captain,

Glad to. Take a good look at Howard's photo. You will see two steering LeMoigne slots on each side of the canopy. Also you will see three LeMoigne slots at the rear of the canopy.

A Pioneer Lo-Po (1.6 as they were called 'back in the day') was a flat canopy that had holes cut into it (fabric removed).

These two manufacturing methods, for creating forward speed, where not related to each other. One (the P/C) used formed fabric to redirect the airflow creating some lift. The other (the 1.6 & all flat canopies) had holes cut into them to let air out, resulting in some forward speed but no lift.

Does that help explain it?

JerryBaumchen

PS) Please do not confuse the term Lo-Po with being for a reserve canopy only. Pioneer used a low porosity fabric of 1.6 oz for their line of sport mains ( both 28 ft & 32 ft) where as the Lo-Po reserves (from both Pioneer & Security) used a low porosity fabric of 1.1 oz.

Hi Jerry,

I am familiar with the 28' 1.6 lopo as I owned a checkerboard model.

Since we are in the trivia section I will add that I loaned it to Kevin Shea of the skydiving team Exedus. While hanging on the side of Mister Douglas it deployed and he went for a nice ride, cut it away and it was never seen again.

we had several experimental canopies jumped at our DZ in the 70's.

Jim Lowe brought out all kinds of weird stuff as I think he worked for Paragear at the time. I confirmed with an old jumper friend at breakfast that we did have a 28 lopo of some kind and it had some oval slots.

When I saw the picture I just assumed it was the same thing.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

As noted earlier, the canopy is identified as a Multi-Cell from Jalbert.
That is all I know about it.

HW

Here's some interesting reading:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3131894.pdf

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3285546.pdf

.......and I think this is the one that describes your pic in post #1:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4270714.pdf

It seems to work a little different than I imagined by looking at your picture. The patent was filed in 1979 so your picture could have been an experimental design leading towards his patent. This patent does not use the term "mult-cell" in it's title but does say "multiplicity of cells" in the text. The earlier patents do use "Multi-Cell" in the title and they look to be a bit more likely to be directly on the evolutionary path to modern ram-air designs.

Hi captain,

And I'm not perfect either. I'm also glad to help anyone wanting info.

Jim Lowe...he worked for Paragear at the time

Yup, here worked there for quite some time. That is when he began building his own Para-Foils. They were all 189 size 9-cells and he would only jump them on accuracy jumps.

He was one of my best friends in this whole, great big world of ours. A great guy & one of the most intense competitors ever; and it never showed.

JerryBaumchen

Hi captain,

And I'm not perfect either. I'm also glad to help anyone wanting info.

Jim Lowe...he worked for Paragear at the time

Yup, here worked there for quite some time. That is when he began building his own Para-Foils. They were all 189 size 9-cells and he would only jump them on accuracy jumps.

He was one of my best friends in this whole, great big world of ours. A great guy & one of the most intense competitors ever; and it never showed.

JerryBaumchen

The history and beginnings of this sport fascinate me. Regarding the history of this sport, I am convinced that there is not much you do not know. As for people from the past you either knew them personally or know of them. That is so cool. If you die before me I am going to cut the top off of you head and get all the good stuff out.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

looks like it has proto-cells and flares. This could be like the "growing-legs-and-crawling-up-on-the-beach" stage of evolution of ram-air, cell-type canopies)

Oddly, the same issue of Spotter had a short piece -- maybe contributed by me -- describing the new deployment system Pioneer was providing for the Volplane, replacing the hydraulic reefing system.

The new system consists of four D-rings interconnected in a rectangle by a "diaper" of webbing and fabric.....
During deployment the device momentarily keeps the bottom of the canopy reefed, then slides down the lines toward the risers.

Hmm, wonder what that thing was called?

A reefer?

Well the picture looks a lot like the third patent listed in post 38, but the picture in post 14 looks like the second of the other two patents?
I don't see the "Cell" structure in post one?

In fact the first two patents in that post, described as multicell, show a triangular and a square shape canopy.
Both Dated in the 60's
The thir patent shows the round canopy and is dated in 81?:|

Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Well the picture looks a lot like the third patent listed in post 38, but the picture in post 14 looks like the second of the other two patents?
I don't see the "Cell" structure in post one?

In fact the first two patents in that post, described as multicell, show a triangular and a square shape canopy.
Both Dated in the 60's
The thir patent shows the round canopy and is dated in 81?:|

In the third patent, Fig.2 shows a diagram of one gore with triangular bits on the sides. If I'm looking at it corrrectly, the triangular panels are folded and sewn to make a "cell" or channel along the inside of the gore. Fig.8 shows a side view of the assembled piece. It looks like the "cells" are there more for maintaining the cross-sectional shape of the canopy than for channelling air. Kinda like a gusset. That feature is hard to see in Howard's picture in post #1 if it exists there at all. Howard says that pic was published in 1973 and there were probably a few refinements before the patent was filed. I wonder if a canopy like the triangular one in the first patent was ever built and flown.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry, I do remember one of those squares as it was the first one I ever saw. He told me he built it himself. I was pretty young at the time and was quite amazed that someone could actually build a parachute.

I also remember he was super nice and kind of a quite guy. I heard he moved to the west and bought it in a turbine of some kind. I'm happy to have his signatures in my logbook.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Jerry - Right you are but for the 21' Piglets...damn I saw some folks "pound in" under those things but the 23' Piglets were a bit more manageable. Used to watch Kevin Gibson pound in on his 21' at Georgetown, TX. many times...I got an RWPC. Regards***Here hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry, I do remember one of those squares as it was the first one I ever saw. He told me he built it himself. I was pretty young at the time and was quite amazed that someone could actually build a parachute.

I also remember he was super nice and kind of a quite guy. I heard he moved to the west and bought it in a turbine of some kind. I'm happy to have his signatures in my logbook.

Hi Cap,
'Ya must be talkin' bout Jim Lowe?? He showed up at Scare-us-valley one day and was flyin planes out there. First I ever met and had an opportunity to hang around and talk with him. Really nice guy. He was flyin' that Helio Stalion and after he dropped some jumpers and was comming down he developed problems!! Seems the Stallion had a full flying tail and to control the thing ya' flew it with the electric trim tab on the yoke. Seems the trim jammed in the "ON" "Down" position and ran out to the stop!! This happened about 2500' when Jim was settling into the traffic pattern to land. Heard about the accident and the next weekend out at Scare-us-valley all I remember seeing was some twisted orange/yellow wreckage of the plane. It was toast!! Really a drag about losing Jim. It was a really sad day.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hello Howard,
I found a white paper with almost the same picture in it.
It is a Domina Jalbert Parafoil
From Notre Dame Aero-Space ~1967

The University of Notre Dame took what was a cross between a concept and demostration-type kite, and converted it into an efficient, aero-dynamic device.

At every other air-cell membrane location, a series of flares is attached beneath the Parafoil wing. There flares act to distribute line forces and cannel air flow such that span-wise flow is reduced, tip looses lessended, and aerodynamic efficiency improved. The distribution of force and aft flare area is critical to stability avout the three axes.

The paper is from the AIAA 5th Aerospace Sciences Meeting in New Your / Jan 1967

AIAA Paper No. 67-200
FLEXIBLE WINGS FOR MANEUVERING AND LANDING
by:
G.T. Barte, Jr
General Elctric Company
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

This paper has a great comparison of supened flexible wing systems.
Modified Parachutes:
-Parasail and Para-Comander by: Pioneer
-Cloverleaf by: Northrop

Single Membrane Flexible Wings:
-All flexible Parawing by: NASA/LaRC & Irvin (I worked for Ed Drumheller on the Irvin wing when I was 19)
-Sailwing by: Barish & Pioneer
-Small Leading Edge Parawings: Conical, Cylindrical by: NASA

Double Membrane and Inflated Wings:
-Goodyear Wing by: Goodyear
-Jalbert Parafoil by: Norte Dame
-Large LE Parawing by: NASA/LaRC & Others
-Slotted Circular Wing by: North America Aviation S & ISD

The paper also talks about:
-A few Republic Close-Coupled Parawing Bomlet
-Kaman Rotchute
-Barish Flexirotor
-Nielsen-Burnell Flexible Rotor