howardwhite

What is this canopy? #32756

I don't think it even has a pulled-down apex. I'm not nearly old enough to recognize it :):P though.

Looks like some derry slots on the side to go along with the drive holes in the back of the canopy.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Now we know why his ideas never went anywhere.

Well, it (the original picture) is a "Multi-Cell" by Jalbert Aerology Labs; pic was from a '73 Spotter.

HW

...........................................................................................

The "muiti-cell" configuration would be more obvious if we saw a photo from the top.

Well, my secret decoder ring is a bit rusty, but I think he's probably referring to the fact that that the Pioneer LoPo used 1.6 oz fabric. Security used 1.1 oz. And I guess he's saying that none of the Pioneer LoPos had those mods.

On the other hand, maybe it's a Masonic code and now I'm on a hit list.

Hi captain,

Glad to. Take a good look at Howard's photo. You will see two steering LeMoigne slots on each side of the canopy. Also you will see three LeMoigne slots at the rear of the canopy.

A Pioneer Lo-Po (1.6 as they were called 'back in the day') was a flat canopy that had holes cut into it (fabric removed).

These two manufacturing methods, for creating forward speed, where not related to each other. One (the P/C) used formed fabric to redirect the airflow creating some lift. The other (the 1.6 & all flat canopies) had holes cut into them to let air out, resulting in some forward speed but no lift.

Does that help explain it?

JerryBaumchen

PS) Please do not confuse the term Lo-Po with being for a reserve canopy only. Pioneer used a low porosity fabric of 1.6 oz for their line of sport mains ( both 28 ft & 32 ft) where as the Lo-Po reserves (from both Pioneer & Security) used a low porosity fabric of 1.1 oz.

A Pioneer Lo-Po (1.6 as they were called 'back in the day') was a flat canopy that had holes cut into it (fabric removed).

Here's a picture (published in Parachutist last year) of a 1964 Pioneer lopo jumped in Orange, MA in June 2009.

HW

That is one ugly canopy.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals