jacketsdb23

OK - 80's skydivers...Need help with identifying this rig.

So I've attached a picture of me from my 3rd or 4th grade science project. It was on Skydiving. Notice the dope drawings I made with stock PD colors :)

I remember my dad giving me an older rig to bring in for the project but I don't remember who made it.

Any guesses? I realize its not the best picture. This would have been the late 80's. Abut 20 years ago.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I would go wonder-hog. It has the full round harness ring making it a pre 81. Some of the early ones had the blast handles. I had a 77 or 78 with R-3s, and belly band piolt chute, converted to BOC for my Eddy Mosher "Swing -Wing".Does the pilot chute bridle fold to become the closing pin for a shock cord loop?

Well I've confirmed its a Wonderhog - about 1980. It has a 5 cell Unit in it and a 26' Lopo reserve.

People used to jump that crap? :P I kid!

It was funny I had to call my dad up two years ago and tell him that at 300 jumps (at the time) that I had more ram-air parachute malfunctions then he did when my x-fire 2 spun up and I had my first reserve ride.

He says, "you cut away line twists? Pussy" He would certainly jump that Unit over my X-fire anyday. He thinks I'm nuts.

In his 180 skydives with a "round" main he had a maywest and baglock malfunction. The remaining 700 skydives with the UNIT, PD210 and Challenger 220 ram air mains he never had a reserve ride.

Love the history of this sport and it will always continue to impress me the way the sport has advanced. Big thanks to all those who made what we have now possible.

Now if we could just learn how land these little napkins without hurting others or ourselves.

Marcel

EDIT: This post just made me wonder if we are too nonchalant about reserve rides these days. oh a different subject for a different time I guess. B|

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

If it's not a wonderhog, it could be a RTS. The yoke is what makes me think RTS or hog. Very have to tell with out seeing the back side.

Wasn't the original RTS made with the handles reversed? Reserve handle on the right and cutaway on the left. I remember borrowing one and being very careful! :)

Hi zoo,

I do not know if they made them that way but I have heard that Silly was a very strong advocate of them being that way.

So am I.

JerryBaumchen

The idea that the most important handle be on the dominant hand side makes a lot of sence EXCEPT that emergency ripcords have been on the left side since Christ was a corpral. A good idea about 75 years too late.

I used to advocate (facetiously) that all the manufacturers put their handles in different places in order to get Darwin back into the sport. :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

If you've confirmed from your dad that it was indeed a Wonderhog, ok, but it sure looks like a Handbury rig to me. I've still got one in my closet somewhere, and the yoke design, the way the cutaway handle is longer and the corners more squared off, the way the 3-rings attach, the two tack points of the reserve ripcord housing by the three ring, and a few other points sure make it look like one of Jim's rigs to me.

Oh well, could be wrong...

If you've confirmed from your dad that it was indeed a Wonderhog, ok, but it sure looks like a Handbury rig to me.

You've got a point.
In some ways it is like a Handbury in my basement, but I can't tell how it might resemble a Wonderhog.

The rig in the photo:
- Looks kind of like it has that smooth, thickly padded backpad of a Handbury
- It almost looks like there's a bellyband, as on some Handburys, sitting across the chair, but I can't tell.
- The reserve housing attachments are like a Handbury.
- The thin white strip at the left would be the side of the rig, barely visible. It seems rather wavy, which could be the plastic reinforced side that existed for a while on Handburys.

However, the chest strap buckle is on the opposite side to the Handbury I have.

Someone who is familiar with Wonderhogs may be able to say whether it looks more like one or not.

If you've confirmed from your dad that it was indeed a Wonderhog, ok, but it sure looks like a Handbury rig to me.

You've got a point.
In some ways it is like a Handbury in my basement, but I can't tell how it might resemble a Wonderhog.

The rig in the photo:
- Looks kind of like it has that smooth, thickly padded backpad of a Handbury
- It almost looks like there's a bellyband, as on some Handburys, sitting across the chair, but I can't tell.
- The reserve housing attachments are like a Handbury.
- The thin white strip at the left would be the side of the rig, barely visible. It seems rather wavy, which could be the plastic reinforced side that existed for a while on Handburys.

However, the chest strap buckle is on the opposite side to the Handbury I have.

Someone who is familiar with Wonderhogs may be able to say whether it looks more like one or not.

Ok, I left Booth's shop just before the 3-Rings went into production, but this looks like a Wonderhog to me. The yoke is exactly what we made, the chest strap is the same. I can't speak to the reserve tackings since on the capewell equiped rigs, the housing ended above the chest strap (See attached photo). The backpad is consistent with the original Wonderhog also. I don't think Silly reads this forum, but he was still working for Booth when this type of rig hit the market, so he could probably identify it one way or the other (as could Booth who does log in here).

http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Personal/Left_to_right_Roger_Clark_-_Traci_Trimble_-_Greg_Baker_110879.html

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

From the "for what it's worth" file: The reserve handle pouch on my Handbury is in-line with the chest strap. Looks like that handle pouch is below the strap.

Count me as another vote for Wonderhog.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Just about any rig in production at that time had a belly band, I would think.... Sure looks like a wonderhog to me....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone