SEREJumper

Vintage find!

Well, I was out and about and decided to stop at a garage sale in town the other day. They had the usual stuff, but in the corner on the garage I saw something interesting. It was an old looking emergency back parachute with shot and a half capwells. It was all packed up and I asked the guy if he was selling it. He said yes and that it used to be his fathers back in the 1960's. His father had died and he came in from out of state to sell off some of the estate and get the house ready to put on the market. I took a chance and bought it. I thought some of you old time jumpers would find this interesting.

Not knowing if this was going to be a real emergency chute or a civilian chute inside, I pulled out my camera and I pulled the ripcord! Out popped a MA-1 pilot chute dated SEP 1958, it had a home sewn repair on the fabric, but otherwise good condition. The pilot chute was attached to a blue and red sleeve. I pulled the sleeve out and started to unstow the lines, only two rubber bands broke, the rest were really strong and flexible, but you could tell they had been packed up for a long time. Now for the real suprise, what was inside? Paracommander, C-9, T-10? I pulled up the skirt to reveal a solid green T-10 parachute. I pulled the sleeve off and started inspecting the canopy and for it's age looked really good. The canopy was dated 1963. It had a few minor rigger patches, but everything looked good. I also found that this canopy had been modified to become steerable and after some searching found out this pattern was called the "Hustler" modification. Basically one large and one small hole in the back and to both sides of the jumper. The Hustler modification and steering toggle installation were very well done and it looked like a lot of care was taken to do it.

The container had some interesting modifications on it, like some added "V" rings that were hand tacked (possibly for the chest mount reserve?) which I thought was interesting. I think this was a very early rig and can appreciate the daring of the pioneers of this sport.

Now after I get the canopy checked out, change out the risers and get a different container, lets see how this thing flys :) Well maybe for a water jump!

I thought this was a very neat piece of skydiving history, so enjoy.

I've posted some photos of the rig here:

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Chute/
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I stand corrected, I got them mixed up

From PPM:

Capewells are a type of canopy release with a cover, then a release mechanism inside. With a 2 shot, the cover is opened, then two buttons are depressed simultaneously to release the riser. With a shot and a half, a short cable loop replaces the buttons. The cover is opened, then you put a thumb through the loop and pull, releasing the riser. With a single shot, all you have to do is pull the cover open. PPM says "the button style Capewell release is often difficult to operate as both sides have to be depressed simultaneously. The cable conversion is simpler." He goes on to explain that Capewells were originally designed only for releasing canopies on the ground (with rounds, you wouldn't break away before deploying the reserve). The shot and a half and one shot were modifications to make cutaways in the air easier.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Strat- I need to find someone to school me on packing this thing for jumping. There are a lot more land jumps than water jumps going on, so I'm sure it will be tested over land.

He was asking $150 and I talked him down to $100 for it. He didn't want me to pop it, but I did see the sleeve inside that gave it away as a civilian style, but I didn't know what condition the chute was in, I was hoping better than the container was (which it was).;)

Hi Johnny Yuma!!!!!!,
'Ya got an interesting find there. Photo's look good, I'd have ta' check out the rags ta' see ifn' it's any good?? The hand tacked "V" rings (if they are located just below the Ripcord pocket) sound like they can be really scary!! Otherwise I'd have someone who's been around the Sport for a while to check it out. Go up to Ghoulidge or Eloy and see if you can find Zing or Wierd Wayne. I had an old Southland Skydivers bud "Jim Eskew" who had a rig with sewn on Reserve "D" rings, fortunately he never used them and the main lift webb T/XIII was threaded "Through" the D ring and they were not sewn on the "OUTSIDE" as were on a few early Skydiving fatalities!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Nice score there, the sleeve look real nice condition. Packing is as simple as it gets, flake it, check your wind channel, sleeve it, stow your sleeve retrainer line and then stow your lines, put in container.

T-10's can be real nice ride as long as your not a fat ass and it's not worn out, I got a vintage switlik.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I don't have pics of that at the moment, but they are hand tacked on the wing flaps with thread the side of suspension line inner core. It makes sense that these were just to help keep the belly wart tight and not have any load bearing properties.

Strat- I hear what you are saying, I'm sure it is easy, just need some hands on with it. Vintage switlik...nice!

T-10's can be real nice ride as long as your not a fat ass and it's not worn out, I got a vintage switlik.

Yeah last time I jumped one in 2003 it came down a tad faster than I remember "back in the day"

I think SEREJumper "might" know how to do a PLF:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Packing,, easy stuff, tension, flake, split in half , then I always folded the skirt up to the lines then fold over about thirds and check the air channel, then sleeve it..... I also knew plenty of people that speed packed... Flake.. lay it down to one side and sleeve it. Others may do it differently but option 1 is how I always packed them.

I say go for it:)

The Hustler mod was supposed to be pretty good according to Thom, the guy who runs the skydiving history website, see link below.

My 7TU cheapo C9 kinda sucked. I never jumped a Hustler mod.

[/url]http://60sjumper.skydiveworld.com/start.htm[url]

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Sounds like fun. Be sure to learn a 4 line check.

It's pretty simple and is the best way to ensure the canopy is not tangled or inverted somehow. You should do this check after every jump.

With tension, just separate the canopy into left and right riser groups. Walk it up to the skirt and in the middle will be the center front and rear panels. Reach under with your arm and lift the 2 center panels as you drop the lines. The two panels should be clear to the apex. Walk the 4 lines back to the risers. They will be the inside line(s) on each riser. If not, untangle and recheck.

Pretty easy! Once you get used to it, it's a whole lot less intimidating than meeting a square for the first time! :)
As for packing, I'm not Dan Poynter (sp?). So I won't try to describe the reach under needed to flake it. Just have an old timer show you. Split pack or side pack, they all pretty much open most of the time!;)

My first canopy I bought was a Starlite and I split packed it when not rushed. If rushing to make the next load I just side packed it, slammed it into the sleeve and pulled a little higher.

We used to say, "Rounds are sound, but a square will get you there!"

Have fun and post some pics as you pack and jump.

Ok, I took a few more pics tonight.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Chute/

- The sleeve has the faint symbol of a parachute inside a circle with the possibility of wings on the parachute (not certain). It also has printing that says "35ft. Launching Sleeve No guarantee on sleeve when long or short sleeve to canopy retainer lines are used", also is Serial #592. Anyone know the maker of this sleeve?

- I included a few pics of the repairs, the larger radial seam repair was near the apex and looks very well done.

- I wanted to show the "hustler" mod so I took a pic of one of them. and some detail of the sewing job, looks really good. The large mod is about 7 ft tall and the small one is about 4 ft tall. This is a different hustler mod then what Thom has documented, but I'm sure there were wide variations in design, hopefully this one worked :)

- A photo of the hand tacked "V" ring on the wing flap and a home done cone repair on the closing flap.

- The harness was made in what looks to be 1951 (althought the "1" could be a 4 of 7). It is on the seat and is very faded.

- Interesting note, you can see on the legs straps were the previous owner marked in red pen how tight to make the leg straps! It's a surplus harness, mark away:D

Hi SERE.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The mod is not cut all the way down to the skirt band. That material left is known as a Mitchell Lip.

2. It does look as though the D-rings might be installed properly. I did notice a confluence wrap and it looks as though they are mounted behind both layers of the main lift web.

3. I would suggest that you take a little 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil to the snaps, the capewells, etc to just make sure everything works properly. Do not use too much oil; about 1/2 drop should work.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this mod done on a T-10 or C-9. Yes, I believe the D-rings are installed properly, but I would be jumping this harness/container. There are to many surplus H/C in better condition out there (although I'm sure this one would work in a pinch, just that I'm not in one :) Thanks for the info!

The sleeve appears to be a Danny Latchford of Midwest Parachute Sales in Novi Michigan styls.
The actual function of Capewells was to be able to inter-change canopies and harnesses. The original system the harness became the risers,they led to solid links then the suspension lines sewn to the solid links. If you had a canopy land in a tree and damaged you threw away the whole thing. Vice versa a rig drug on the ground by high winds etc again pitch the whole thing. It was jumpers that came up with the cut-away. Some Navy pilot ejector seat rigs had a capewell on one side only. to help collapse the canopy in water landings They also had ejector hardware and sea-pockets.
By the way Capewell was the name of the company that designed the system.
One -Shots seldom did. You could bring them down as far as possible with your finger tips then reverse your hands and swat them with your palms. This helped if your Cross-Bow had the one riser only RSL.
The "Vee" attachment on the side flap wasnt the usual reserve belly band connector . The regular was the utility and or life raft one with the straight cross piece truncating the "Vee".

His father had died and he came in from out of state

Did you happen to get the father's name so some of the historians here might add to this...?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN- I called the guy back today (we exchanged numbers in the event he found anymore of his dads skydiving items...he hasn't). Anyways his dad's name was Joseph "Joe" Kesecker and lived in and around Montgomery, Indiana. There is also the name "Brooks" written on the container.

Nearest dropzone's to that city are:

Indiana Skydiving Academy - Goshen - 82 miles
Jerry's Skydiving Circus - Franklin - 96 miles
Skydive Greensburg - Greensburg - 115 miles
Jump Indy Skydiving Center - Lebanon - 116 miles

Not sure if any of those were around in his time, but it is worth a shot right

:P