47 47
quade

DB Cooper

snowmman,

Ah okay.

It doesn't matter anyhow. The transponder is lost at 8:54 PST in the transcript. So that was well after the interesting time for Cooper. (edit) as a sanity check: at 200 MPH, they would have gone about another 87 Miles in 26 minutes. So say 190 mile range for the radar, roughly. (edit) just remembered they didn't go in a perfectly straight radial from Seattle, so max radar range was probably less than 190 miles.

I'm assuming the earlier ident requests, and the transponder lost message at 8:54, meant the radar operator had transponder up to 8:54, so minimally, had radar blip till 8:54, from Seattle ARTCC.

Now: if the flight map radar data was from McChord, I'm assuming it was at least as good as Seattle ARTCC, otherwise they would have used Seattle ARTCC. Unless Seattle ARTCC didn't have recording capability or something like that.

I have been lurking awhile and I see a common error in your view of the Seattle ARTCC (ZSE). You think there is one big radar antenna in Auburn Wa. In fact there is no radar antenna at Auburn. ZSE is broken up into many sectors, both high altitude and low altitude, I know there are many radar antennas that make up the ZSE coverage from the Canadian/Washington border to the north all the way down to northern California and east to Montana. They also cover the Northwestern corner of Nevada.

I do not believe there is a one to one sector-to-radar. But one radar feeds many sectors. A long time ago I saw either a chart or document that had these radar locations. I did a quick/lame google search and did not find out any info, but I am sure it is out there.

I also believe that both McChord and ZSE were tracking 305 and the Idents were just the controllers trying to verify which radar taget was 305, all an Ident does is cause the corosponding radar return to brighten, wheter or not the radar return has a data block or not.

No I am not ATC, but have flow in the airspace.

I have been lurking awhile and I see a common error in your view of the Seattle ARTCC (ZSE). You think there is one big radar antenna in Auburn Wa. In fact there is no radar antenna at Auburn. ZSE is broken up into many sectors, both high altitude and low altitude, I know there are many radar antennas that make up the ZSE coverage from the Canadian/Washington border to the north all the way down to northern California and east to Montana. They also cover the Northwestern corner of Nevada.

I do not believe there is a one to one sector-to-radar. But one radar feeds many sectors. A long time ago I saw either a chart or document that had these radar locations. I did a quick/lame google search and did not find out any info, but I am sure it is out there.

I also believe that both McChord and ZSE were tracking 305 and the Idents were just the controllers trying to verify which radar taget was 305, all an Ident does is cause the corosponding radar return to brighten, wheter or not the radar return has a data block or not.

No I am not ATC, but have flow in the airspace.

Excellent info.
I usually just post whatever current info I have or understanding.
So I expect it to be incomplete.

My hope is always that it triggers a reply or something that gets me going in a direction to finetune stuff.

Your post is an excellent example of why it's useful to post whatever one's current thoughts/data are.

The ARTCC issue is important I think, because those guys would have been tracking the expected V23? And we have the transcripts of the comms from the ARTCC.

It does appear that the military info was used for radar on the flight path map though? instead of ARTCC?

It would be really interesting to know if the ARTCC back then had storage (tape) capability.

Also: all the computerization stuff was just rolling out in '71 (up to like '74 throughout the USA)

It'd be interesting to know the exact gear they had.

And like you say if they had data feed from multiple places, then knowing what was where, would be interesting.

I'm still wondering why they used USAF data, as opposed to the FAA/ARTCC data.

okay, I've got a sector map, high and low altitude, with voice comm frequencies for each sector. I won't attach that because I don't think it adds any information, radar-wise.

I've read there's a number of secondary transmitters for voice comm.

But I think the number of radar locations for Seattle ARTCC is small. I still think it might just be one.

I think this is one: Fort Lawton.
Picture attached. from http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3508

Here's a comment from a guy who worked there:
"Yep, we still use Amplitrons in our FAA ARSR-1/2 long range radars, used for air traffic control. Most sites have been upgraded, but we still have a few, including one nearby at Discovery Park, in Seattle. I was the facility manager for several years."

The following Fort Lawton site history is from the radomes.org Website:

The 635th AC&W Squadron relocated to this site which by 1960 was a joint-use station with the Army and the FAA. This site used an FAA ARSR-1C search radar and two Air Force AN/FPS-6A height-finder radars. (The Army also had 2 AN/FPS-6 variant height-finder radars of their own.) Circa late 1962 an AN/FPS-26 height-finder radar was installed. In March 1963 the Air Force directed the site to close, and the 635th Radar Squadron (SAGE) deactivated. [However, the squadron would be reborn in 1972 at Dauphin Island AFS, AL (Z-249) when that site re-opened as part of the Southern Air Defense System.]

The Fort Lawton radar site remains in use by the FAA today, still operating the ARSR-1E search radar.

Coordinates are: N 47° 39.434 W 122° 24.824

(edit) From another page:
"The Air Route Surveillance Radar Model 1E (ARSR-1E) is based on a 1970s vintage radar that has been updated through Service Life Extension Program (SLEP). It is a long-range radar system with a maximum detection range of 200 nautical miles (nmi). The ARSR-1E is a surveillance system used to detect azimuth and slant range of en route aircraft operating between terminal areas. It also provides weather intensity data. The ARSR-1E is interface to a collocated Common Digitizer Model 1/2 (CD-1/CD-2) or other digital processor which provides digitized output.""

(edit) attached an overhead current satellite shot of the radome from Google Maps. It is about 8 miles NW of Seattle.

This is a corporate matter just as I have said. The FBI
is being directed by NWA, maybe with a little input from
McChord.

But it is NWA wagging all tails, not the FBI, not McChord. The FBI and LE are totally reliant on NWA for everything. That's the chain of command dictated by
WHO has the flight info! The probably were many
phone conversations and some with H, all from NWA.

I will say it again: the one source we have nothing zero zip from is ..... NWA! The gaps in info are with NWA.
H probably doesnt know and never knew all of the
discussions and decision making that got passed to
the FBI from .... NWA. Everyone including the FBI
was dependent on who? ... NWA. That is where the missing links are ... at NWA ... and they will never
talk. Why should they! This is a corporate matter.
H doesnt even have all the answers ... H was in
Portland. NWA was at Minneapolis.

Very important insight, G. I like it.

I thought of you when I wrote it, actually.
I think its 80% true.
I have wondered if someone at the FBI looks at the
Cooper case and thinks: hmmmm nice phd thesis
in organisational crime investigation management,
there. I say this under the assumption modern
investigative organisational methods have
improved! And some guy at the FBI is reading
this thinking ... "what a throwback!'.

You're psychic G. Before I jumped in with you DBC'ers I was writing a book about really big money and really big power - what NY Times bestselling author John Perkins calls the "corporatocracy." I was writing about how I see their influences at the local level, like the county sheriff's, fire departments, etc.

I see their fingerprints every where I go, ie: why does corporate America push so hard for No Child Left Behind? The Mauck murders, which I think I posted about a week or so ago. Flight 800. The syringe wash-ups in NY in 1988 that closed the beaches for the summer. These are stories that I've covered/investigated and after thirty years I'm sensing a pattern, a familiarity to it all.

And now with the economy! It's all deja vu all over again, again. I'd really like to talk with Tim Geitner's boss when TG was in charge of the NY Fed. What is Big Boys' end game? They already control all the money - what more do they want?

As for NWA and the FBI-DBC. Whew............yeah, let's go to the Minny Apple and talk to some guys.....

You can't suspend entropy or natural selection.
Nobody can.

Persuasion had nothing to do with.
Yesterday the 27th of March would have been Duane's and my anniversary - All I was doing was TRYING to think what was going thru Duane's mind when he did the Hijacking in 1971.

Note that Quade did not say the whole synopsis was illogical, but part of it was. When I read what I had written I agreed that part was not logical.

PS - Dan Cooper died 14 yrs ago today - March 28th 1995.

If it were only true. How simple life would be.
And turns out it is simple, in this case!

Okay from http://nas-architecture.faa.gov/nas/location/location_data.cfm?fid=20

I think this might be a list of current long range radar used by ZSE ARTCC..this seems to align with what dy8coke was saying:
Note the local tracon and aiport stuff isn't included, just long range stuff.

(edit) some are shared with other ARTCC's?

LAKESIDE LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [QLS] Northwest Mountain Region; Flathead County; Lakeside, Montana. ARSR-4. Shared with Salt Lake City ZLC?

KLAMATH FALLS LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [LMT] Northwest Mountain Region; Klamath County; Klamath Falls, Oregon. Shared with Oakland ZOA?

FOSSIL LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [QVN] Northwest Mountain Region; Wheeler County; Fossil, Oregon. Shared with Salt Lake City, ZLC?

MAKAH-NEAH BAY LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [QKW] Northwest Mountain Region; Clallam County; Neah Bay, Washington

MICA PEAK-SPOKANE LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [QMI] Northwest Mountain Region; Spokane County; Spokane, Washington. Shared with Salt Lake City ZLC?

PENDLETON WxRR (SURVEILLANCE) [PDT] Northwest Mountain Region; UMATILLA County; PENDLETON, Oregon

RAINBOW RIDGE-RIO DELL LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [QZZ] Western Pacific Region; Humboldt County; Rio Dell, California. Shared with Oakland ZOA?

SALEM LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [SLE] Northwest Mountain Region; Polk County; Salem, Oregon

SEATTLE LRR (SURVEILLANCE) [SEA] Northwest Mountain Region; King County; Seattle, Washington (listed as ARSR-1E still, so maybe it's the Fort Lawton site?)

also, just noticed there are 26 current facilities considered ARTCC, not 21 like I said before. (they include Toronto, Vancouver, Guam, Honolulu, San Juan CERAP).

Nasa is doing this plane that uses SAR for ultra-precise flight path, and they have an agreement to not come within 10 miles of the FAA long range radar sites, because the frequency they use is similar.
377 might like looking at that: http://uavsar.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html
It's being designed to operate on an UAV, but initially uses a Gulfstream. 10 meter diameter precision on the flight path.

They have a map of all FAA long range radar sites here, and a KML file is downloadable.

http://uavsar.jpl.nasa.gov/fieldsites/faamap.htm

basically confirms what I posted for ZSE, but shows all locations on a map, nicely. (we launch the UAVs tonight!)

(edit) I think my list for ZSE above was more complete, as this map is missing the ARSR-1E in Seattle.

Snow,

You really find great radar info. Keep it coming.

There is a new approach to inexpensive marine radar that I think will interest you and G. It uses an very linear FM chirp in the transmitted signal and apparently looks at the frequency of the echo to determine distance. The radiated power is only 100 milliwatts!!! You can stand in in front of the radar antenna, something you'd never want to do with the standard 4+ KW X band radars that this unit will compete with.

Check out the video, the resolution in the radar echo
displayed are pretty amazing.

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en/Products/Leisure/Broadband-Radar/Broadband-Radar/

The synthetic aperture radar (SAR) you referred to produces amazing pictures, almost like photos. It uses aircraft displacement and various timing and phasing tricks to create the equivalent of a huge airborne radar antenna thus giving very high spatial resolution.

Quade should challenge a few other of Jo's assumptions and conclusions. She does seem to listen to him. Nobody is going to convince her that Duane had nothing to do with NORJACK, but Quade might use Occam's razor to slice off some of the far out fringe stuff.

How can people say that the Cooper mystery will never be solved? All it takes is finding remains and an unopened rig, or some hot twenties in a safe deposit box or anything like that. The case is very solvable, but it takes a lucky break. Methodical plodding isn't likely to do it.

377 on the 377th page of this forum.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Okay, there's all this anecdotal info about how they're confident Cooper jumped before the Columbia. I think that's based on Rataczak testimony, if I remember Ckret's posts correctly.

But in the same breath, we believe Rataczak said something odd..i.e. that the bump was before the lights of Portland. (not Vancouver).

And it appears in 1980, Rataczak is a little wrong about how far east he thought the plane was, relative to V23, if we believe the 1980 meeting with Himmelsbach. (I suspect Rataczak just made an offhand comment, and Himmelsbach drummed it up into a big story like he does..i.e. Mr Blowing Like Billly Hell.

So Rataczak is this mixture of good and bad testimony. How to resolve?

The post from Ckret is
"They do have conversation, however, Radazcak said he could see the northern suburbs of Portland when this occurred. He also said it occurred 5 to 10 minutes after last contact at 8:05 PM."

So I was thinking "What if Rataczak saw the Williamette, and thought it was the Columbia? That would make sense for the testimony. And it would make sense for Cooper jumping and landing in the Columbia"

Luckily the new GE 5 with it's historical imagery has some b/w imagery around Portland from Jul 5 1970.

I've attached it. Pretty cool. The Williamette has all those bridges crossing it. In fact when I was looking, I was confused for a bit, before I remembered the center of Portland is not next to the Columbia, it's next to the Williamette.

So if Cooper jumped right at the Columbia, I think all of Rataczak's testimony can be resolved with other data. Remember it was overcast/broken clouds. (I've read two layers of clouds, but unclear)
The imagery doesn't extend to Vancouver.

(attached)

Green is V23. Blue is the flight path. We don't have flight path tick marks past 20:18 (really 20:17)

I had pushed Ckret hard before on why they knew Cooper jumped before the Columbia.

His answer was typically lame. I hammered on what "felt" meant..

But I think my theory about the Williamette could be good.

Ckret said:
For Cooper to have gone into the Columbia 305 would have had to cross the Columbia. This, according to the flight crew didn't happen, they felt Cooper jumped before this point.

377 on the 377th page of this forum.

i bet that's a first ...... BEER!!!!!!!B|

Only 1,969,535 pages to go for me:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I had pushed Ckret hard before on why they knew Cooper jumped before the Columbia.

Ckret said:
For Cooper to have gone into the Columbia 305 would have had to cross the Columbia. This, according to the flight crew didn't happen, they felt Cooper jumped before this point.

Hmmmm Snow, that's not a bad theory. Not bad at all. It never ceases to amaze me how you parse new stuff out of old info that to me, has been thoroughly analyzed and isn't worth revisiting.

I have viewed aerial landscapes at night and made errors based on seeing what I expected to see rather than what is actually there. You initially make the scene fit your expectation and ignore the inconsistent stuff. In a short time as a window gazing passenger, you realize your error, but the NWA crew was very busy with other stuff and probably wasn't spending a lot of time looking at the ground landmarks.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Ckret said:

Hmmmm Snow, that's not a bad theory. Not bad at all. It never ceases to amaze me how you parse new stuff out of old info that to me, has been thoroughly analyzed and isn't worth revisiting.

I have viewed aerial landscapes at night and made errors based on seeing what I expected to see rather than what is actually there. You initially make the scene fit your expectation and ignore the inconsistent stuff. In a short time as a window gazing passenger, you realize your error, but the NWA crew was very busy with other stuff and probably wasn't spending a lot of time looking at the ground landmarks.

If you go back and look at when I was beating on Larry about how they knew Cooper jumped before the Columbia, it was weird. He provided very little information..Nothing more than the one liner I posted above. Yet he was confident Cooper jumped before the Columbia.

This mirrors the absolute fact Jerry believes he got from Himmelsbach, although Jerry didn't repeat whatever Himmelsbach said. (I think Himmelsbach is good at sounding factual, when he's just spouting his personal theories/stories, so it's easy for listeners to be swayed, and then when they get home, they can't remember exactly why they were convinced...)

So: it got me thinking..why would Larry be so dogmatic about anything? Why would he care?

I think Larry tends to get dogmatic when the evidence is weak. I don't know why. He did the same thing when I pushed back on the age thing.

So: We need the "Guaranteed To Have Jumped Before The Columbia" evidence that's being held secretively. (note that even if it's true: how soon minimally before the Columbia? 30 seconds? 1 minute? What's the theory/data/interview say and why is it correct?)

What's weird is that Larry was perfectly happy to say the Jump Point was incorrectly calculated at 8:11. We had data/report that showed how that error occurred.

But we don't have data that would help us on the rest. I guess it's the Rataczak interview. Don't know if there's anything else.

(edit) Things to think about: Vancouver was much smaller then. Both rivers have similar widths. Both rivers have bridges over them. They're both going roughly east-west when 305 crosses them. And Rataczak said "Portland". And Rataczak was not from the Northwest.

Is there any indication of how much turbulence 305 encounterd? I was wondering if turbulence would cause the airstairs to bounce thus causing the pressure bump. Also, how big is the cabin altitude indicator on the flight engineers panel. Would the FE always be looking at the gage and would he notice any other jumps of the cabin pressure that would not noticy be felt by the ears?

If not then cooper could be almost anywhere.

Ckret said:

True. The word Felt masks all the hard data. I find
that very strange. Maddening frankly. If they "felt"
Cooper had jumped then why didn't they "feel" to
take some hard bearings? It almost sounds as if
nobody cared.

I can only go back to what 'I think' pilots would.
The bump occurs and Scott, Rat, and Anderson
recognmise that as 'maybe just jumped'. So failing
to take hard notes (we dont know they didnt!),
Rat looks around because he's flying the airplane,
Scott in on the radio, and Rat sees (off in the distance out his right front window?) they are approaching Portland and the Columbia. He cant
see the Columbia or the Willamette but he can see the the light Portland coming up. The question is, how far off?

Rat never mentions Vancouver at all! Rat doesnt say: "Vancouver and Portland". He just says Portland.

The fact he names only Portland may mean they were close and Portland was literally coming up
ahead and the most prominent single object ahead
or to directly to the right. He never mentions Vancouver being in his field of view so that
potentially gives us a clue about distance.

If they had been 20 miles away it would have been both, the lights of Portland-Vancouver. So they are closer than say 20 miles and whatever Rat's angle with respect to Portland, its either directly ahead or out his right window and they are close enough Rat doesnt bother to include Vancouver in his statement.

To me, those elements define "felt".

I have to assume they knew where they were and
where the Columbia and Willamette were not because they were looking at these objects specifically but because they knew where these rivers
fit in the general perspective of "Portland only"
ahead or immediately to Rat's right-front ... coming
up on Portland.

Dont forget (Rat knew this). The Columbia is before Portland. If they havent crossed the Columbia then
they arent "in" or "over" Portland yet. And this defines exactly what Rat said ... "could see the suburbs of Portland ahead" ?

Ckret said:

I think a lot of this depends on how well Rat and Scott and Anderson knew the area, Tina too. How
many times had they flown V23 before coming south?

When Rat says "can SEE the suburbs of Portland ahead" thats very specific to me. Likewise, had not
crossed the Columbia yet". But Vancouver is not
mentioned so they were close enough for it not to
be mentioned OR they were headed at Portland with
Vancouver not in their thoughts.

If you go back and look at when I was beating on Larry about how they knew Cooper jumped before the Columbia, it was weird. He provided very little information..Nothing more than the one liner I posted above. Yet he was confident Cooper jumped before the Columbia.

This mirrors the absolute fact Jerry believes he got from Himmelsbach, although Jerry didn't repeat whatever Himmelsbach said. (I think Himmelsbach is good at sounding factual, when he's just spouting his personal theories/stories, so it's easy for listeners to be swayed, and then when they get home, they can't remember exactly why they were convinced...)

So: it got me thinking..why would Larry be so dogmatic about anything? Why would he care?

I think Larry tends to get dogmatic when the evidence is weak. I don't know why. He did the same thing when I pushed back on the age thing.

So: We need the "Guaranteed To Have Jumped Before The Columbia" evidence that's being held secretively. (note that even if it's true: how soon minimally before the Columbia? 30 seconds? 1 minute? What's the theory/data/interview say and why is it correct?)

What's weird is that Larry was perfectly happy to say the Jump Point was incorrectly calculated at 8:11. We had data/report that showed how that error occurred.

But we don't have data that would help us on the rest. I guess it's the Rataczak interview. Don't know if there's anything else.

(edit) Things to think about: Vancouver was much smaller then. Both rivers have similar widths. Both rivers have bridges over them. They're both going roughly east-west when 305 crosses them. And Rataczak said "Portland". And Rataczak was not from the Northwest.

My guess is, Larry already knew 'everything' we have come up with, except for when you came up with the
comic book. I have a strong suspicion that is the case, or some close relative of that.