22 22
quade

DB Cooper

How We Figured Out the Truth on the Ha Ha Ha book allegedly written by D.B. Cooper: 

The picture below speaks for itself. Once we took on this minor investigation, it didn't take us long to get to the truth of things. One key fact we knew for sure was that Rod Addicks was IN prison at the time the book was published in 1983. We knew this because a family member of the guy he killed went to Addicks' parole board hearing in 1987, asking he NOT be released. That incident was covered in a New York Times article. Our conclusion is that Addicks wrote the book in prison, sent the manuscript to Judy Van Cleave (Judi), and she arranged everything. That includes the artwork from Greg Ellingson of Portland, the printing of the book, and any distribution. We don't know how they planned to pay off the alleged reward. But without Addicks to promote the book, or do book tours, sales went nowhere. She still has many copies of the book, even today. Addicks was convicted of murder in 1975. The penalty was a minimum of 25 years in prison, even if it was second-degree murder. We concluded he was probably released around the year 2000. Today, he does taxes for other people and there is no record of him getting into further serious trouble. 

LastEmailtoVanC.jpg

HaHaHaFrontCover2.jpg

HaHaHaBACKcover.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

New York Times reporter Billy Jensen told me in an email that he advised them (Colbert's team) that they were 'barking up the wrong tree' (his words) trying to name Robert Rackstraw as the hijacker, and after the TV show aired, wanted nothing to do with anything related to investigating Rackstraw further. 

In my opinion, the entire show, ('D.B. Cooper - Case Closed?') was a farce and merely a vehicle to launch Colbert's book alleging Rackstraw as the hijacker. (Book was released at Amazon the day after Part Two premiered.) The low point for Colbert was when witness Tina Mucklow, after seeing pictures of Rackstraw taken recently and then more around the time of the hijacking...as well as an old video where Rackstraw is plainly seen, and speaks as well...then Mucklow tells viewers she was sure Rackstraw was NOT Cooper. At that point, it WAS 'case closed,' but only for Tom Colbert. At the end of the show, Colbert hints that Mucklow might be going senile, which just makes him look like an idiot.

A researcher at LMNO Productions, the company who produced the show, contacted us at Adventure Books of Seattle and asked to see what 'we had' on Kenny Christiansen. We sent them the 54-page public release with the documents and pictures. They completely ignored it, more or less. 

At the same time this was all happening, the production company itself was raided by the FBI and files were seized. Their main bookkeeper was embezzling funds from the company and when confronted, took the financial records with him to another location and then tried blackmailing the production company. The end result was that LMNO Productions lost the contract on a few other TV shows they were producing, due to the scandal. Later, they got some of them back. 

Basically, it was a mess all around. Rackstraw ended up losing his prized boat due to the negative publicity, and refused to speak with Colbert's team for the show anyway. 

(As far as being 'disinvited' to the Cooper Con events, anyone can show up if they wish. All they have to do is buy a ticket. I have not attended any of them in person, and I am not likely to do so. I did attend NorWesCon (Northwest Science Fiction Convention) a few times, though. That's more my style as far as conventions, although I enjoy holding outdoor party-type events related to Cooper. That is ALSO more my style. I never felt 'disinvited' to Cooper Con, I just didn't want to go, and it's a long drive, especially from where I live now. We toss our once-a-year Cooper/UFO party event and that's the extent of it.) ¬¬

Edited by RobertMBlevins
More in depth regarding Mucklow's non-ID of Rackstraw as Cooper

What,, Eric Ulis is branching out from DB Cooper and now on The Secret Treasure hunt... 

I worked on two of these puzzles a few years ago and have solved them.. Montreal and Charleston WPG..

Problem is getting permission to go dig them up..

I bought a first print of the book for $250 a few years ago and it is worth about $2500 now in mint condition.. worn ones sell for less.

The new versions of the book are poor reproductions, you need the original printing, it has better images and *hint* there are more clues in the original printing.

The_Secret_treasure_book_cover.jpg.a99eb3905d03f874e84cbf67a3bc640e.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

Well...I don't really care much what Eric Ulis does. He's a hustler. I cannot in good conscience have anything to do with whatever thing he has going lately. 

Because our July outdoor event is limited to a max of 75 people without getting a special permit from the US Forest Service, we will never be able to get the number of people he has managed to get for these Cooper Conventions. Or what other events he may sponsor. 

The only thing I can guarantee is that people will generally have more fun and there will be more camaraderie than anything Ulis can conceive. The main reason being we don't host these outdoor soirees to bring attention to ourselves. We just bring the gear and turn people loose to have fun. The first time we tried this, the one last July, we only got about 30 hard core folks. And a lot of drop-ins, mostly people who saw the map at the AB website and decided that since they were four wheeling in the area anyway....why not drop by to see what it was all about. But in general it was a much smaller group that Eric brings to the conventions. 

I guess you could say we go for quality over quantity. And we don't make it easy for people to show up. We actually make it hard for them, even though we don't charge money. This tends to weed out the non-serious folks, so that when the dedicated folks DO show up...they are very enthusiastic about the whole thing and want to meet everyone who is already there. 

Colbert is doing another show Monday..  apparently James Comey not only tried to frame Trump for the false Russia collision.. but he also covered up DB Cooper's identity.

If the DOJ wasn't politicized Comey would be in prison,, but they have always been politicized.

Edited by FLYJACK

On 12/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, RobertMBlevins said:

New York Times reporter Billy Jensen told me in an email that he advised them (Colbert's team) that they were 'barking up the wrong tree' (his words) trying to name Robert Rackstraw as the hijacker, and after the TV show aired, wanted nothing to do with anything related to investigating Rackstraw further. 

In my opinion, the entire show, ('D.B. Cooper - Case Closed?') was a farce and merely a vehicle to launch Colbert's book alleging Rackstraw as the hijacker. (Book was released at Amazon the day after Part Two premiered.) The low point for Colbert was when witness Tina Mucklow, after seeing pictures of Rackstraw taken recently and then more around the time of the hijacking...as well as an old video where Rackstraw is plainly seen, and speaks as well...then Mucklow tells viewers she was sure Rackstraw was NOT Cooper. At that point, it WAS 'case closed,' but only for Tom Colbert. At the end of the show, Colbert hints that Mucklow might be going senile, which just makes him look like an idiot.

A researcher at LMNO Productions, the company who produced the show, contacted us at Adventure Books of Seattle and asked to see what 'we had' on Kenny Christiansen. We sent them the 54-page public release with the documents and pictures. They completely ignored it, more or less. 

At the same time this was all happening, the production company itself was raided by the FBI and files were seized. Their main bookkeeper was embezzling funds from the company and when confronted, took the financial records with him to another location and then tried blackmailing the production company. The end result was that LMNO Productions lost the contract on a few other TV shows they were producing, due to the scandal. Later, they got some of them back. 

Basically, it was a mess all around. Rackstraw ended up losing his prized boat due to the negative publicity, and refused to speak with Colbert's team for the show anyway. 

(As far as being 'disinvited' to the Cooper Con events, anyone can show up if they wish. All they have to do is buy a ticket. I have not attended any of them in person, and I am not likely to do so. I did attend NorWesCon (Northwest Science Fiction Convention) a few times, though. That's more my style as far as conventions, although I enjoy holding outdoor party-type events related to Cooper. That is ALSO more my style. I never felt 'disinvited' to Cooper Con, I just didn't want to go, and it's a long drive, especially from where I live now. We toss our once-a-year Cooper/UFO party event and that's the extent of it.) ¬¬

You know, Robert, it wouldn't hurt you to actually show up at some of the Cooper events,actually meet some of the people that you have been at odds with over the years, vice versa.  It might good for everybody...I think you would find that they are not so bad and they would find that you are nor so bad either.  Your reputation with the Cooper guys over there needs a little help.  I would encourage you to make an effort to go.  Please don't regurgitate all the reasons you have for never wanting to meet them.  Georger is a great guy, Tom Kay is too, so is 377....go meet them, it will do you good.  Meyer

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, FLYJACK said:

The takeaway is that the money went into the Columbia River in a Spring from 72-79.. 

Eric's burial/retrieval theory is flawed as he claimed the only Spring that the River reached the money was during either the '72 or '74 extreme flood events. This is false, those recorded floods reached about the 21 ft mark and the money was at about the 5.5-7.5 foot mark. That puts the money 12-15 feet underwater.. but the Columbia River reaches the money spot every year and the Spring is highest seasonal water flow. So, you don't need a record flood event to reach the money spot and it isn't restricted to the floods of 72 and 74. It could be any Spring from 72-79. So, Cooper would have had to retrieve money well under the water in 72, the theory is extreme speculation and is IMO borderline ridiculous. Cooper could have buried the money anywhere and he chose next to a River (damaging it) then returned 6 months later to dig it up 15 feet underwater,, silly stuff.

What does make sense is that the money went into the Columbia in the spring 72-79. While the money spot was underwater the money was pushed along what would then essentially be the bottom of the river to its spot.

Suction dredge doesn't seem to make sense. Never did really.

The question is, where was the money after the hijacking and how did it get into the River.

Another note.. A Sioux City Sarsaparilla Soda can was found with the money in the same layer.. that was not sold until 1974. It is not related to Cooper but may date the debris deposit.

I have several theories,, one is entirely new that would blow up the Cooper case for a while. I have been researching it but can't prove anything. I was going to post it but it is too much work to explain for now.

Another thing Tom and everyone still misses, is that the money went to Cooper in rubber banded bundles of packets, individual packets of 100 were rubber banded in groups. So, it probably arrived on TBAR as a single bundle. The money arrival is not constrained by three separate packets arriving together. For the money to arrive together as 3 separate packets they had to be separated from its rubber banded single bundle after Cooper got the money. Doesn't really make sense. The rubber band frags found attached to the money may have been holding the single bundle together.

The uniformly rounded ends of the bills suggest that the money tumbled as one bundle along the bottom before landing on TBAR. The Willamette bottom is gravel and the Columbia is sandy. One of my theories involves the Columbia and the other the Willamette.. none are suspect specific and both maintain the "FBI" flightpath and dropzone.

One other important consideration, if the money went into the River at least six months later (or more) and stayed intact until it reached TBAR that indicates human intervention. Since rubber bands begin to deteriorate outside within months that makes it unlikely the money landed somewhere and sat in nature until it got washed into the River.. the rubber bands would have deteriorated. So, there must have been some human intervention along the way.

How about this little theory...I'll just throw it around?  The money ended up in the Columbia River because Cooper ended up in the River.  The money stayed intact inside the bag (eventually got free from Cooper); the money bag continued to tumble down the River, it got hung up in the River, upstream from Tena Bar.  High water event eventually freed the bag, The bag ended up at Tena Bar for just a short time (the water eventually receded, taking the bag back out to the River bottom again),  The bag was quite torn and tattered by this time it arrived at Tena Bar.  Three packets managed to break free from the bag before the bag got taken back out. 

The rubber band was still intact as it was protected quite well inside the tightly wrapped money bag.  Ingram must have found the money packets not too long thereafter, as the rubber band(s), although very degraded, were still wrapped around the packets, This means the 3 bundles could not have been at Tena Bar for very long before Ingram found them.  An estimate: the 3 bundles arrived late 1979, a few weeks before Feb 1980.  

MeyerLouie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MeyerLouie said:

You know, Robert, it wouldn't hurt you to actually show up at some of the Cooper events,actually meet some of the people that you have been at odds with over the years, vice versa.  It might good for everybody...I think you would find that they are not so bad and they would find that you are nor so bad either.  Your reputation with the Cooper guys over there needs a little help.  I would encourage you to make an effort to go.  Please don't regurgitate all the reasons you have for never wanting to meet them.  Georger is a great guy, Tom Kay is too, so is 377....go meet them, it will do you good.  Meyer

None of them support our outdoor events. Four Cooper Campouts over the years, and the Cooper/UFO Skywatch Party last July. They probably won't support THIS year's party either. So why I should I support theirs? Ask yourself why they haven't been able to convince either Geoff Gray or myself to attend their Cooper Cons, even though we are Numero Uno and Numero Dos in the Cooper book department? Me being number two. (LOL 'I try harder') 

Who knows? You have a point, but if they want me or Geoff to show up, people like Bruce Smith and his minions, all of whom are running phony identities with him, but are also members of Shutter's DB Cooper Forum...have to stop playing games. I don't need Cooperland. We're a US wholesale trade publisher with the second-best selling book on Cooper since January 2011. With no end in sight. Month in, month out, between 50-300 copies of Into The Blast find their way into the hands of readers. I couldn't stop it if I tried. And I don't want to try.

I see your point, but there must be cooperation on both sides. 

I have met 377, his lovely wife, and Tom Kaye at the Ariel parties. Finer people I have not met. Ever met someone you just knew was a better human being than you are? That is how I think about them. Both of them have contributed tremendously to the case, and I sometimes communicate with them privately. I have a great admiration for them. But the problem is that others involved in the case don't realize that OUR event...and THEIR event...are pretty much the ONLY remaining Cooper-related events going anymore. Once Cooperland realizes this, and that it is in their best interest to support BOTH events, then we can talk. As far as the next Cooper Con, I don't need to speak to an audience. I wouldn't mind just sitting in the audience and hearing what others have to say. But I don't go where I'm not wanted. Especially when it's a few hundred miles drive each way. I am friggin' lazy. ¬¬

If none of that is possible, then they can do their thing, and we will do ours and never the twain shall meet. But this attitude, this policy, is not good for Cooper fans in general. I have decided that the July 2022 event, lacking any support from the main core of Cooperland...will be the last time we associate that event with Cooper. After that, it will go strictly UFO/Bigfoot/I Was Abducted by Aliens. (*smiles*) These people are fun as hell and very interesting to say the least. 

This is the last chance, this coming July. No one except myself and Eric Ulis is willing to put up the money for these things. The July 2021 event cost us about $2,500 and this year is expected to cost more. I am not going to waste any more money after this next one on Cooper without moral support from Cooperland. 

And like the Budweiser commercial once said, "I love you man..." 

8 hours ago, MeyerLouie said:

How about this little theory...I'll just throw it around?  The money ended up in the Columbia River because Cooper ended up in the River.  The money stayed intact inside the bag (eventually got free from Cooper); the money bag continued to tumble down the River, it got hung up in the River, upstream from Tena Bar.  High water event eventually freed the bag, The bag ended up at Tena Bar for just a short time (the water eventually receded, taking the bag back out to the River bottom again),  The bag was quite torn and tattered by this time it arrived at Tena Bar.  Three packets managed to break free from the bag before the bag got taken back out. 

The rubber band was still intact as it was protected quite well inside the tightly wrapped money bag.  Ingram must have found the money packets not too long thereafter, as the rubber band(s), although very degraded, were still wrapped around the packets, This means the 3 bundles could not have been at Tena Bar for very long before Ingram found them.  An estimate: the 3 bundles arrived late 1979, a few weeks before Feb 1980.  

MeyerLouie

It is a theory..  I have three good theories myself.

One problem is the money went to Cooper in packets of 100's rubber banded into bundles.

So, the individual packets of 100 bills were not separate in the bag, if they did arrive on TBAR separate, somebody had to have removed them from the rubber banded bundle. Therefore, it is more likely the money arrived as one rubber banded bundle of packets. You don't need a bag/container to reconcile the money arrival.

The other problem is the LZ, the evidence does not support a Columbia River landing.

There are infinite theories and possibilities. We will never know the real story, but some theories fit the evidence better than others.

If I had to bet, based on all the evidence, Cooper landed near Heisson.. but we will never know for sure.

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

If I had to bet, based on all the evidence, Cooper landed near Heisson.. but we will never know for sure.

One of the few things we agree on in the Cooper case. I think Paul Soderlind's team, in cooperation with the FBI and ATC, got it right all along. Once I heard Soderlind at NWA was involved in the tracking process, (Flight Ops Director for NWA and a friggin' aviation genius for SURE) I had much more confidence in their results. 'Results' being defined as comments included in FBI files, the notes on where they think Cooper landed, and the flight path map. 

I really meant what I said back there about there only being TWO remaining events each year about Cooper. I've come to the idea that ours will always be the smaller one, but it is SOMETHING for Cooper fans. And it would not be good if either of them, or both of them, were to cease running. But my patience with Cooperland is wearing pretty thin. I keep wondering why I agreed to do a sixth Cooper-based event and toss much of AB's annual revenue behind it again, when I could just switch it over to a full-blown SUFON (Seattle UFO Network) event and enjoy instant success.

Eric and I would be the first to tell you these things are not easy to pull off, and are not cheap to do, although there are substantial differences between HIS event, and OURS. 

For example, Eric's is more of a gathering of the armchair experts, a meeting of the minds for the public to enjoy. 

Ours, to be frank about it, is a PARTY, with all of the usual trappings that go along with that sort of thing. It's our 'replacement' for the annual Ariel Store parties, although nothing can really replace Dona Elliot's crazy Cooper-infused celebration. (And before her, the late, great Germaine Tricola's, who was the store owner before Dona.) But we try. Picture of Germaine below. 

About the only advantage to our outdoor event over the annual Ariel Store party is that people don't have to drink themselves silly...and then try driving home at 2AM. At the Ariel Store, people started showing up around noon, and by dark many folks were on the eighth or ninth drink. But the whole thing ended at around 2AM. We don't want people to try that one. So...they just hit the sack right there (stumbling to their RV or tent or camper van lol)...get up the next day...and start the entire process again on Saturday. They get free BBQ on Saturday. Sometimes people do karaoke or get up on the mike and PA for other stuff. Or they run something on the media projector.

It is a hoot, I'll admit. On Sunday morning everyone goes home. 

GermaineTricola.jpg.04518900269f5e8759a94c6c6f7104bf.jpg

Down Memory Lane with the Ariel Store:

IndieTitleImage.jpg.774077134dd39797fff4e959cb206cfc.jpg

NeonSign.jpg.b4900be0d4585a8eec0376b09c0d3e3f.jpg

77382701_PictureofBar-Copy.jpg.b14ba2d59abcb3ddc5fc4efb3e5b58ef.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I have about 5 theories for the source of Cooper's name..

One not suspect specific but is Vietnam specific and is the Cooper-Church amendment.

Senators John Sherman Cooper and Frank Church effectively ended the Vietnam war by cutting funding in 1971.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/nixon-defends-invasion-of-cambodia

If Cooper's grudge was the Vietnam war ending and losing work in 1971.. he may have blamed the Cooper-Church amendment..

Edited by FLYJACK

4 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

I have about 5 theories for the source of Cooper's name..

One not suspect specific but is Vietnam specific and is the Cooper-Church amendment.

Senators John Sherman Cooper and Frank Church effectively ended the Vietnam war by cutting funding in 1971.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/nixon-defends-invasion-of-cambodia

If Cooper's grudge was the Vietnam war ending and losing work in 1971.. he may have blamed the Cooper-Church amendment..

We explored the idea of the Cooper comic possibility over here, but we were never able to reconcile the timing of the first appearance of the magazine (around March 1954) to Kenny Christiansen's service with NWA on Shemya Island. The reason we explored this angle in the first place is because the radio operator on Shemya at that time told us that planes came in to Shemya from everywhere for refueling, and that many of them were in fact from Canada, or even flights that began in Europe. (Both military as well as cargo and commercial aircraft) He also said there were only two things to do on Shemya. One was the library, the other was the bar. Or you could walk around on 'Schmoo' as everyone called it. 

And when these planes came in, the people servicing them would practically beg the pilots to let them have any reading material that happened to be on board...and that the most popular with the guys were comic books. In fact, NWA workers scoured the aircraft for anything to read, and all of it eventually ended up in the little library on Shemya. So, yeah...we looked at that angle fairly closely. 

The timeline on the magazine was 'too close to call' though. We know that Christiansen left Shemya in 1954, hung around in Seattle for a while doing odd jobs, and then got a call from a contract company working for the AEC (Atomic Energy Commission) and that he took a job on Bikini Island some months AFTER the Castle Bravo test. 

And since Castle Bravo was done in March 1954, the same month the comic first was published...we know Kenny was already back in Seattle by that time. (Bernie Geestman left Shemya Island first and was back in Seattle himself working as a mechanic for NWA for a while, then later at Boeing on the 727 program.) 

Christiansen took the job on Bikini Island as a telephone operator, but we don't know exactly WHEN he arrived. Sounded maybe like June 1954 though, from what we could tell. We do know it was a few months AFTER the March 1954 Castle Bravo nuclear test explosion. And we do know he left after six months on Bikini Island and came back to the USA and trained for a purser job with NWA.

(Side note: His family blames his work on Bikini Island as a likely reason he died from a very aggressive form of cancer later.) 

But the timeline of the magazine is so close, that there was no way to establish for sure whether Christiansen could have seen the magazine during the last bit of his time on Shemya. It didn't look like it to us, so we gave up on that angle. I suppose it's possible he saw copies later in the Seattle area, or perhaps some of his NWA buddies on Shemya brought some back to Seattle when THEY managed to 'escape' from Shemya. (No one liked being there much.) Without any proof of anything, and the timeline of the magazine so close, we filed it under Unable To Establish and Unable To Prove. 

The comic is an interesting angle indeed. We do know that Kenny took French in high school...but that doesn't prove a thing either. I think the comic remains a tempting clue that no one has so far been able to link to anything or anyone...including Kenny Christiansen. 

Is Christiansen's family right to point to Castle Bravo, and his service there as a telephone operator for six months as the reason he contracted cancer later? Good possibility. Although KC didn't actually work on Bikini Island itself, (no one could go there after the test, but he worked not far away on another island) the fallout from Castle Bravo reached thousands of miles and was one of the biggest nuclear tests in history.  (Link leads to the Wikipedia article) And had disastrous results. Below is a video. 

One of the projects Greg the Techie Guy and I are working on for next July's Cooper/UFO Party near Mt. Rainier is an extensive and fast-moving video of every legitimate bit of film footage shot of UFO's. Not the crazy, photoshopped stuff presented all over the internet these days, but the historical stuff. We will separate the footage with short explanations of what each one represents, as well as the date, the circumstances, and other details. Greg is going around the internet and gathering these up from YouTube and other sources. 

He submits them to me, and then it is my job to edit them into an entertaining video for attendees to the event. We think people will love it. The final version will NOT be uploaded to YouTube separately because we would have to get permissions from more sources than I can count on my fingers and toes. This was Greg's idea and probably the best one he has ever proposed. We will present the finished product on the big screen in high-definition next July. We're aiming for a 30-40 minute video. 

Greg said it was time someone did this, and it will help cut through the baloney from the US government, who may admit UFO's now exist, but who also haven't been as forthcoming as you might believe about the whole thing. I can hardly wait to present it for people next year.  ¬¬ Greg thinks we should preface it with the DB Cooper in Three Minutes or Less video as a warm-up. I agree. That guy is so smart, I swear. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

UPDATE: We have collected all the historical UFO footage we need, as well as some newer stuff, but nothing from the usual hoaxers. Official sources or solid witnesses only are being used. About a third of the material are old news reports and interviews from the 1960's and on back. Some is more 'modern'. 

But...I received two emails today calling 'foul' if we don't do the same thing regarding Cooper. I discussed this situation with Greg, and he agreed. So both of us are going to download certain pieces of footage and pictures, and edit them into a 30-minute presentation. This presentation will NOT be an attempt to point at one suspect over another. It will just be an entertaining overview of the case since Day One until the present. '50 Years of D.B. Cooper' is our name for this video. 

Anyone out there in Cooperland who has suggestions on what should be included in this video, (no long segments please) just drop me a message. We will be using a great deal of historical news footage, but not the full videos, not generally. I will try to edit in a sort of timeline fashion...from the early stuff to the more recent. There will be bits from Larry Carr, Himmelsbach, etc. That is a given. And statements from other Cooper investigators. Before you decide to start complaining about copyright, etc I will tell you first that neither of these videos (UFO or Cooper) will ever be uploaded to YouTube or the like. They are simply research and entertainment vehicles taking extracts from other material under Fair Use rules. 

And that both of the videos will only be used for presentation purposes at the July event. 

Anyone wishing to contact me about these projects can find me on Facebook, or do direct email at adventurebooksofseattle AT G Mail Dot Com. 

UPDATE..

I sent 3 Vietnam era sodium chloride samples to Tom for testing.

He found that all were too pure vs the sodium chloride on the tie.

That is interesting, the sodium chloride on the tie was not pure, there are many forms of less pure sodium chloride used for different things..

Looking into those.

On 12/4/2021 at 4:03 AM, RobertMBlevins said:

How We Figured Out the Truth on the Ha Ha Ha book allegedly written by D.B. Cooper:

Darren Told me, and I doubted him, but he was right. 

We concluded he was probably released around the year 2000. Today, he does taxes for other people and there is no record of him getting into further serious trouble. 

There you go Robert, I fixed it for you.

If you did any sort of "investigation" then why didn't you know Rod Addicks was released in 89? Why didn't you know he died in May 2020? He worked as an unlicensed CPA in Washington and had a handful of DUI's.

If you're doing an "investigation" shouldn't you at least read the book about the guy instead of guess what happened?

Edited by The Cooper Vortex
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Cooper Vortex said:

There you go Robert, I fixed it for you.

If you did any sort of "investigation" then why didn't you know Rod Addicks was released in 89? Why didn't you know he died in May 2020? He worked as an unlicensed CPA in Washington and had a handful of DUI's.

If you're doing an "investigation" shouldn't you at least read the book about the guy instead of guess what happened?

Nobody asked you to fix anything for me, and I was not interested in his entire life history. 

I was merely trying to figure out who owned the rights to the book, and whether it was feasible to republish. I have been getting mass emails...and I mean MASS of them...from the Forrest Fenn folks wanting copies. It's a friggin deluge. I am certainly not going to waste my money on a book I would only read once, about a guy I couldn't care less about. He's a convicted murderer and that's all I need to know. But I had to find out about the the rights ownership. Those rights belong to Judi Van Cleave out of Portland, OR and inquiries about copies are being directed to her. She told me she has a couple of thousand copies remaining in the original boxes they were shipped in, and that these books are sitting in a storage unit. So...people should go to her about this and not me. Greg, Susan, and I made the decision not to offer to republish the book, and we are not interested in buying any further copies. Greg has a copy. Susan and I have two copies. That is enough. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

13 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Addicks also has arson for insurance and real estate fraud on his resume.

That was a real disappointment, finding out the author of Ha Ha Ha was nothing more than a convicted killer with a friend on the outside willing to publish his book. Really?  

Truth be told, I was highly pissed off to find this out. What a waste. And he's not even a bad storyteller. He should have instead had Van Cleave submit the finished product to a traditional publisher, and then started working on another book, because then maybe he would have turned out more like O Henry or something. (LOL...hopefully WITHOUT the heavy drinking O. Henry was known for, though.) Maybe Addicks could have turned his life around, or maybe he could have come forward initially as the author of the book, become somewhat famous for that, and straightened his ass out for good. Maybe found some redemption for the crap he did, maybe tried to be sincere and apologize to the victim's family. None of that happened apparently.

Something. ANYTHING. Instead, it turns out the one thing he was famous for, no one found out about anyway, and he never really became a person with any character. I wouldn't go near that book on a republish even if I could move 50,000 copies a year. I wouldn't do it because it would be an insult to real writers, and a slap in the face to his victim's family. I'm not bad at this small press publishing business, but there are things even I won't do for money. 

I was completely and utterly disappointed to find out that one of the most mysterious and entertaining books in fiction ever done on a Cooper theme...was written by a guy like Rod Addicks. It was even more disappointing than finding out Bruce Smith sold off the rights to his book to a publishing house that doesn't even distribute in wholesale through Ingram. The first was a sham. The second was plain stupid. 

Yes, it was foolish for Bruce to hand over the publishing rights to that company like he did. I see at Amazon that so-called 'used' copies are being offered by book jobbers now at over $70 a copy, and the cheapest version in six/nine paperback is a whopping $30...even more than the LAST edition cost. How many books does Bruce think can be sold at thirty dollars a pop plus shipping in paperback? 

Anytime one of you self-published Cooper authors gets the idea you know more about book publishing, and how to market a book than I do...just stick that thought into your back pocket and forget it...because you do not. I offered to assist Bruce for free and get him on the Ingram distribution chain worldwide. But he hasn't spoken to me or responded to messages ever since A-) I caught him lying about me. And B-) Since he started allowing others to trash people anonymously on his own website. 

And even after all of that, I still tried to help him, as foolish as that sounds. My plan would have put his 500+ page paperback out there for about $9.00-$10.00 in wholesale with a profit margin of about $4.50-$5.00 per copy. Retail price on the cover at $17.95-$18.95 USD, also stated in GBP and Euros. Jobbers, retailers, wholesalers worldwide would have either stocked copies or listed it for sale. Bruce would have made a steady $4.50-$5.00 per copy sold, whether moved in wholesale or retail. On a case sale, he would pocket about a hundred bucks per case. (His book size says that his case size would have run about 20-22 copies per case.) Many wholesalers and Amazon jobbers would have offered the book up for less than the retail price on the cover, since they could obtain it for much less in wholesale. They COMPETE with each other for sales. That's how the system works. The author makes the same amount per sale no matter what others sell it for. That's the beauty of the whole thing, plus they basically work for you and gladly list your book. How many entities, retailers, jobbers, bookstores, and wholesalers are we talking about worldwide? TENS OF THOUSANDS. 

Sales for him, since it is a more general book on the Cooper case and recognized to be the main authority on the case...would probably have surpassed even our own book (Into The Blast) eventually. And it would have gone into distribution on every continent, with printing and shipping done locally...except Antarctica. And in order to do all this, and collect all this with a reasonably successful book through Ingram/LSI at wholesale, Bruce would have had to do...EXACTLY NOTHING. 

Once your book is out there in the wholesale distribution chain worldwide, all you have to do is check your bank deposits and your PayPal once in a while...and pay the $12 a year to keep that book in the print database. Forever, if you wish. The sales reports and the money just come rolling in automatically each month. 

Instead...he handed over the rights to probably the best book on the case to a bunch of amateurs who now have him locked into a contract that will never make him any real money for all his hard work. Hell, with that kind of non-marketing, even the publisher doesn't make that much money. 

It is difficult to feel sorry for people who take their own hard work and just flush it down the shitter like that without listening to advice from experts first. And yes, I AM an expert. I've been running AB at a good profit with only a few titles out there, and have edited more than sixty books on my own since about 2006. So yes, folks...I do know what I am doing. Then you have Bruce and the Peanut Gallery folks who hang on his every article with their hateful comments. Bruce did this to himself simply over personal issues and hatred going with the person trying to assist him.

Sometimes people really DO get what they deserve. I think over the next two/three/maybe five years remaining on whatever contract Bruce signed with that publisher, he will learn a hard lesson. And that lesson is that it IS important to get your books into the hands of readers in the most efficient and the most professional way possible. Bruce is stuck in a basically high-priced vanity press situation and after a few pitiful royalty payments over a few quarters...he will realize he screwed up and good.  

Edited by RobertMBlevins

5 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Eric Ulis.... quite the wild theory, pure speculation. A new narrative, a new adventure..

When you have nothing make up a new story and goal ... to stay in the social media. Its called 'staying in the game'. It keeps the game going. At some point winnings vs losses determines a new game/tactic. Its all about Ulis. Spectators must stay in the game to decide later if it has anything to do with - Ulis vs DB Cooper! We had Colbert. Its now Ulis. Its an internet soap opera with tv productions to come ... stay tuned. This may have something to do with DB Cooper, or not! Keep up your membership to find out... two to five years to go! With weekly updates along the way. KEEP THE GAME GOING! YOU CAN WIN!

Edited by georger

Here we go,,  Ulis has his facts wrong... 

He claims because Cooper had no luggage and insisted on taking off with airstairs down he intended to jump in the outskirts of Seattle. But Cooper's initial demand was airstairs to be opened inflight. It was changed to down on takeoff during negotiations with the crew after Reno was in play then ultimately agreed to lowered inflight.

This is clear in pilot transcripts and the FBI docs...

Not sure what no luggage means.. he can't jump with luggage.

So, Ulis has developed his theory based on a false premise... 

Since Cooper's initial demand was airstairs lowered inflight he didn't plan to jump in the outskirts of Seattle,,  and besides there is no way to jump near enough to a stashed rental car.

Then Ulis has Cooper going back to Seattle in a rental car and flying back East..   this is crazy.

It looks like Ulis is trying to write a movie script.