47 47
quade

DB Cooper

That's why I'm going with the hijacker getting to a pay phone.

A not too far-fetched scenario:

"Hi, I made it. The sign on the tavern says I'm in Ariel, WA. I gotta go, Get here as fast as you can, I'm &*%$# FREEZING! I'm pretty banged up. Will tell you all about it when you get here. Just pull up to the front of the tavern. I'll be hiding, but I'll see you."

If he'd only had a cell phone with GPS :)

Lee,

In the Thailand 727 jump film I think the stairs are actually removed leaving just an open door and a passage to the outside. Stairs get in the way of rapid sequential exits of multiple jumpers.

No big deal though. Look at the photo of the military jumper at the bottom of the 727 stairs during the FBI sled drop tests. No obvious bouncing or even big wind blast. I think it was pretty stable and reasonably calm down there.

I can give a believeable scenario that puts Cooper under an open canopy. After that, it gets a lot more problematic. Safe landing, yeah its possible. Rendezvous with a ground accomplice? Now that's a really tough one. Cooper wasn't in control of the flight path. No radio was seen onboard. So how does the accomplice find Cooper?

I love the walkie talkie idea, but it's a bias tied to my fascination with wireless. There is no evidence that Cooper jumped with any kind of radio gear.

Yep, you're right about the stairs being removed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqdmXxBZjI

I tend to go with what is plausible and also apply "Occam's Razor" to what people say. ?

The problem with Occam's Razor is that it is biased
against complexity. The strength of Occam's Razor
is that a common sense judgment is sometimes the
correct one.

The weakness of Occam's Razor is its failure to
recognize that the cosmos is, in fact, hideously
complex. The idea that the simplest explanation is
invariably the best one sometimes fails empiracally.

Who would have guessed that the orbital elements
of the planets was elliptical? Not Occam, Aristoteles,
or Euclid. Quite often archetypes are wrong but can
serve as models against which actual observational
data can be judged, and then modeled more
correctly. Does this apply to Cooper?

Note: Jo Weber does NOT know how to use Facebook. I have tried but it is way over my head. I was able to go to Knoss's site by invitation and a couple of others - managed to make a post on one, but that is all.

This site and other sites like this one are my main means of communicating about Cooper. I do everything else hands on with a search and with the help of many people who have came to my aid. With maps I can hold in my hands and talking to people on the phone.

Now certain individuals realize I have some very special maps - but they do not recognized that I obtained some of these on my own by paying a person to go to Clark Co to do the research work - the person did NOT ask for any re-imbursements, but I gave her what I could. Others have provided me with documents and maps, such as Sluggo and other very generous souls in this thread and the other threads, but the FBI never provided me with anything....except the Ben Gazzard look alike composites I could find NO WHERE in 1996 or 1997. The agent of record actually mailed me the composites and I am the one who has made the Gazzard look-alike available as they appear in the media today in color - not counting the one someone altered for the benefit of Cook/Gossett.

Until then all anyone had was what had appeared in a newspaper or book. Seems like the FBI would have made all of the composites available to the public every yr on the anniversary, but that did not happen in the East or South. Cooper was not going to stick around the N.W. and wait to be arrested.

JT never provided anything...not one IOTA to me. Right now there is a surveyor in WA chewing at the bit, but I can't ask him to do what I need done without some kind of compensation, otherwise I would pick up the phone and say do it and I need to be in WA with him , but my health will not permit that at this time. I can't seem to say in words or describe to anyone what I was shown by Weber in 1979.

Now it has been so long and so much developement - it seems like an impossible task, but I need to find where that tower was and there are other areas I did not get to see in 2010. 15 days with my feeling my way around with some maps and my gut instincts. I just did not have the time or the money to say any longer and the last 3 days I was down in my back.

If I could find where that tower used to be - there might be something there, but I expect why I couldn't find it is that the area is now developed, because the land was flat and wooded not hilly. Yet, where ever that tower was is a key. The road would still be there and from the road it would be at 10:30 on the clock and to the rails for the logging road. What is on the other side of that Logging road and where did it go.

Did it go to one of the other places he took me. How did he know all of the places without a map?

......I just love it when you start talking in the third person........................I'll keep it short Jo...........................do you just sit around and dream some of this stuff up?

I am a very dull person, not too bright. I have
simple thoughts. Complex things only confuse me.
Lets say everyone was following Occam's Razor:

Nov 24 1971
Sunrise: 7:21am
Sunset: 4:33pm

Wheels Off PDX: 14:53 (15:00) 3:00pm
Expected arrival SEA: 15:30 3:30pm
Refuel ~30min 16:00 4:00pm
Take off: ~16:10 4:10pm
Arrival jump area: 30min? 4:40pm max

Arrival time wanted: ~4:00-4:15pm !

Sunset: 4:33pm

Twilight jump - what night jump ?

That is applying Occams Razor.

So you see, if everyone had done precisely as they
were supposed to, according to Cooper and Occam,
there would have been no night jump - only a
twilight jump, along an interior land route, just as
planned/expected by Cooper.

As it turned out, he had to make a night jump.
That is another matter. I will consult the Occam
Transformer and give the rest, later.

You must allow that Cooper applies Occam also.
Its not reserved for you alone. This is Cooper's
hijacking; not yours.

:D 73s . .

Requests $200,000 by 1700 (5 PM) local on the ground.

Cooper planned a night jump or decided against an abort.

November, 3 PM departure, 93 minutes to complete all tasks.

I’m sensing a planned night jump.

Applying Occam's Razor he threw 5pm in just to
confuse them.

:D

Requests $200,000 by 1700 (5 PM) local on the ground.

Cooper planned a night jump or decided against an abort.

November, 3 PM departure, 93 minutes to complete all tasks.

I’m sensing a planned night jump.

Do I recall correctly that he asked for the cabin lights to be turned low or off? He knew that much at least.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I'm reading a number of snarky comments about Marla. I'm inclined to go the Ronald Reagan "trust, but verify" route with her story. If there are gross inconsistencies or she changes her story over time then her claims would be suspect.

As it stands right now, the only person who knows or knew the complete truth about what happened that night was the guy who jumped out of the plane. Everything else is theory or speculation apart from the concrete evidence left behind.

I tend to go with what is plausible and also apply "Occam's Razor" to what people say. Maybe Marla's claims will get blown out of the water. When the prints from the guitar strap are compared with what the FBI has on file we'll know for certain it was D.L. Cooper if the prints match. However, if they don't match and it can't be conclusively proven that the prints the FBI has came from the hijacker then it only proves that the prints don't match and nothing more. It would make Marla's case weaker, but not rule D.L. out completely.

That said, I'd like to know what Marla has said in the past regarding what happened to the $200k Has that story changed over time?

There weren't any usable prints on the guitar strap. She heard that the money was lost on the way down.
The Money Connection

I'm reading a number of snarky comments about Marla. I'm inclined to go the Ronald Reagan "trust, but verify" route with her story. If there are gross inconsistencies or she changes her story over time then her claims would be suspect.

As it stands right now, the only person who knows or knew the complete truth about what happened that night was the guy who jumped out of the plane. Everything else is theory or speculation apart from the concrete evidence left behind.

I tend to go with what is plausible and also apply "Occam's Razor" to what people say. Maybe Marla's claims will get blown out of the water. When the prints from the guitar strap are compared with what the FBI has on file we'll know for certain it was D.L. Cooper if the prints match. However, if they don't match and it can't be conclusively proven that the prints the FBI has came from the hijacker then it only proves that the prints don't match and nothing more. It would make Marla's case weaker, but not rule D.L. out completely.

That said, I'd like to know what Marla has said in the past regarding what happened to the $200k Has that story changed over time?

There weren't any usable prints on the guitar strap. She heard that the money was lost on the way down.

...................arfuller, once again...............OLD NEWS...........everyone on here knows that..........................

Reasons Cooper might have decided not to freefall.

He had no altimeter. Even if he had one unless it was lighted it wouldn't be of any use in freefall.

Didn't know terrain altitude. Visibility of ground from plane was poor.

Worried about spin/tumble/instability in freefall.

The solution is to pull immediately. It eliminates/ mitigates a lot of risks.

I demonstrated, using an audience volunteer, that putting on an NB8 isn't intuitive or easy for someone who has never worn a chute.

Jerry has questioned my claim that Tina reported that Cooper put on his chute with ease. It's in the FBI 302 report form. I think she did say it.

I think Cooper had worn a chute before. It's speculation but based on evidence: Tina's observation.

Tina was not a chute expert but my symposium experiment showed that difficulty in donning an NB8 (which differs inconsequentially from an NB6 in form) is readily apparent to non experts.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Clown, I was informing LeeW274. Do you have a problem with me responding to people?

Yeah...............especially when it's old news...............have you not read this thread? ...........................no need to be repetitive arfuller..............

Now I know why you call yourself classclown. Your're ridiculously funny. Seems to me this whole thread is the same info being discussed over and over.

Hey clown, did you hear the one about flight 305 hijacked back in 71? There was a guy that called himself Dan Cooper like the guy in that comic book.
The Money Connection

I can also state from firsthand knowledge that dynamite - at least back in the late 1950's was the color of a manila envelope.

I used to work with dynamite a little, and all of the dynamite that I handled was pink. But, that was in the early 90's. Wonder why the color change, or if different colors indicate a different type of dynamite or even a different manufacturer? I don't now about 1971, but today dynamite sells are recorded. If someone detonates a piece of dynamite, there are actually small particles left behind that could be used to trace back who purchased it.
"They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in. But later that night, they were shining those lights back down on that mountain again." - Todd Snider

Lemme hep ya with Marla’s computer literacy:

http://www.facebook.com/marla.cooper

Nice silk suit, black tie (black tie) and sunglasses eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn2-b_opVTo

It is a nice picture. I sent her a friend request last week. She accepted within 20 minutes.
"They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in. But later that night, they were shining those lights back down on that mountain again." - Todd Snider

Clown, I was informing LeeW274. Do you have a problem with me responding to people?

Yeah...............especially when it's old news...............have you not read this thread? ...........................no need to be repetitive arfuller..............

Seems to me this whole thread is the same info being discussed over and over.

...............Exactly........................same info being discussed over and over....................BY YOU.............

Seems to me this whole thread is the same info being discussed over and over.

...............Exactly........................same info being discussed over and over....................BY YOU.............

If you don't like repetition then why do you use repeating periods. It's kind of annoying.
The Money Connection

Reasons Cooper might have decided not to freefall.

He had no altimeter. Even if he had one unless it was lighted it wouldn't be of any use in freefall.

Didn't know terrain altitude. Visibility of ground from plane was poor.

Worried about spin/tumble/instability in freefall.

The solution is to pull immediately. It eliminates/ mitigates a lot of risks.

I demonstrated, using an audience volunteer, that putting on an NB8 isn't intuitive or easy for someone who has never worn a chute.

Jerry has questioned my claim that Tina reported that Cooper put on his chute with ease. It's in the FBI 302 report form. I think she did say it.

I think Cooper had worn a chute before. It's speculation but based on evidence: Tina's observation.

Tina was not a chute expert but my symposium experiment showed that difficulty in donning an NB8 (which differs inconsequentially from an NB6 in form) is readily apparent to non experts.

Oh come on.. we made LOTS of jumps back in the 70's from 7500 feet... known as a 30 sec delay.... we counted.. and hell we even touched 2 or 3 other people while in freefall while counting :ph34r::ph34r:

And yes... we did some of those at night too

I was in the Columbia River gorge the night of November 24,1971. It was one of the rainiest, windiest nights I'd ever experienced, before or since. If Cooper jumped anywhere near the Columbia Gorge (does 12 miles north of Portland, on V23 qualify?), isn't it possible that the wind could have carried him east -- a lot east, like into the Washougal? Just wondering.....

I was in the Columbia River gorge the night of November 24,1971. It was one of the rainiest, windiest nights I'd ever experienced, before or since. If Cooper jumped anywhere near the Columbia Gorge (does 12 miles north of Portland, on V23 qualify?), isn't it possible that the wind could have carried him east -- a lot east, like into the Washougal? Just wondering.....

Nope.. the CR Gorge is a micro-climate and if you get a few miles north of it or west of it..... and you would not even know how much wind is in it....

This is why thousands flock there every year for some kick ass boarding and kiting.

Not to simplify it too much, but anyone who would even consider parachuting from a jet with no prior experience in jumping would have to be psychotic.

Cooper, as far as we know, exhibited no symptoms of psychosis. Impatience with the fueling delay, yes. Psychosis, no. ;)

Alan Fuller: I dropped by your Lulu.com book page. Dump them. Pick up a ten-block of ISBN's from Bowkers and move your stuff HERE. Trust me, this is good advice.

Well you know I am in the camp that says that jumping from airplanes or jet airplanes is indeed survivable... even at night... even in bad weather.. just like many thousands of aircrew bailouts, even from airplanes that were not flying straight and level proved in WW II and Korea and during the South East Asian War Games.