47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Skyjack must be a hot item. I took the hour drive into the city. No luck at all. wal-Mart,Target, Borders and a few other stores. I could order it but it might be a couple of months before I return. SOL I guess.

Send me $27.33 and a couple bucks for postage, Greenie, and I'll buy you a copy at my Barnes and Noble and mail it to ya. Note: It might take a little while as my truck has a blown head gasket, but, patience is a virtue. "Skyjack" will be delivered. Promise.

Robert99 wrote

377, There is no evidence that Cooper knew that a C9 canopy was (supposedly) in that container or that it would be a (supposedly) hard pull.

If Cooper pulled the packing card (no proof that he did) he'd know what canopy was in the rig. If he was an experienced jumper he'd know that a military bailout rig like that, in 1971, with no D rings for a reserve VERY likely had a 28 foot C9 or 26 foot Navy Conical round canopy in it. Those miltary canopies were built like tanks, but the sport ones were not. They didnt need to be rated for high speed deployments (above 150 mph) and the designers strove for minimizing pack volume.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Bruce wrote:

Lastly, how come the FBI doesn't return my phone calls or emails?

Simple. You don't look like Marla Cooper. Try hiring a gorgeous female assistant and have her make the FBI inquiries Bruce.

The pharma companies figured out years ago how to get some face time with doctors. Have you ever seen a drug rep?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

377: Excelent Idea but I'm not sure risking Snow's life is worth it. I don't have as much faith in his abilities as you do. Remember I'm also experienced in Rock climbing High altitude climbing and Glacier travel and rescue as will as assault climbers course I was even an Instructeor in these fields. In Alaska. So forgive me if I have my doubts. Jerry

Jerry,

The disagreement between qualified people about the survivability of the jump is why an empirical real world test jump needs to be made in similar conditions.

I know you have good reasons for your opinion and others have good reasons for opposing ones.

I've never made a wilderness jump. I did get totally lost in a massive Illinois field planted in tall corn. Happened on a jump from a helo that was made off DZ. I though I'd never find my way out of that maze.

Bruce wrote:

Lastly, how come the FBI doesn't return my phone calls or emails?

Simple. You don't look like Marla Cooper. Try hiring a gorgeous female assistant and have her make the FBI inquiries Bruce.

The pharma companies figured out years ago how to get some face time with doctors. Have you ever seen a drug rep?

I dated one. (smile). Once.

But we're still friends.

Hmmm. I wonder what the name of Barb's doc was...where's that phone number? Arrrghh. So many DB Cooper files, so little time.

Ah, but then I could sneak past the guards at Blevins' workshop at Auburn Days, too!!!

And I wonder if Tina would talk to me then? After all, she talks to Jo. And maybe Jane would answer the door, since she talks to Jo, too!

377, ya just can't ask a woman to do a job you're not willing to do yourself; know what I mean?

Farflung wrote

I would have used the interphone like a pro and even said, ‘Ahhhhhhh roge…. ahhhhh pilot, hijacker ahhhh…. say bearing and DME PDX over.’

Priceless Farflung. I wonder if you could program an audio processing module to go between the microphone and VHF transmitter on small planes. I hear the Cessna drivers trying to sound all hunky and pro with their wimpy "ahhhh(s)" and squeaky tentative "good day(s)". Your box could make it come out just right, like the guys with four engines or in your case eight. There is a market here. Snow could design the system and you could provide the templates.

Robert99 wrote

377, There is no evidence that Cooper knew that a C9 canopy was (supposedly) in that container or that it would be a (supposedly) hard pull.

If Cooper pulled the packing card (no proof that he did) he'd know what canopy was in the rig. If he was an experienced jumper he'd know that a military bailout rig like that, in 1971, with no D rings for a reserve VERY likely had a 28 foot C9 or 26 foot Navy Conical round canopy in it. Those miltary canopies were built like tanks, but the sport ones were not. They didnt need to be rated for high speed deployments (above 150 mph) and the designers strove for minimizing pack volume.

377, In several decades of checking an emergency chute's packing card before each flight, I don't remember a single one that listed the type of canopy or its speed rating. That includes civilian chutes as well as "composite" military chutes.

The FAA "low speed" emergency parachutes are rated to 150 MPH and their "high speed" emergency parachutes are only rated to 160 MPH. I have owned both types of FAA chutes.

In the case of the military chutes, I never knew what it was actually rated for speedwise. However, I have seen test data for some military chutes that indicated they were good to 225 MPH depending on the weight of the jumper and load being supported.

For high speed aircraft, as well as zero-zero ejection seats, the speed rating is way up there.

377 Disagree with you that is not in my nature. Damn I just told a feb. All points that have been made today are good ones.Still I bet you'll think twice before landing in a corn field again. I know McCoy didn't like his LZ imediatley after he landed. He had a we bit of a limp. Jerry

I've never made a wilderness jump. I did get totally lost in a massive Illinois field planted in tall corn. Happened on a jump from a helo that was made off DZ. I though I'd never find my way out of that maze.

Did you not mean "..out of that maize"? ;)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Good one, really good Orange. But kinda corny.

Good one, really good Orange. But kinda corny.

:D:D:D

Robert99 wrote

377, In several decades of checking an emergency chute's packing card before each flight, I don't remember a single one that listed the type of canopy or its speed rating. That includes civilian chutes as well as "composite" military chutes.

The FAA "low speed" emergency parachutes are rated to 150 MPH and their "high speed" emergency parachutes are only rated to 160 MPH. I have owned both types of FAA chutes.

In the case of the military chutes, I never knew what it was actually rated for speedwise. However, I have seen test data for some military chutes that indicated they were good to 225 MPH depending on the weight of the jumper and load being supported.

For high speed aircraft, as well as zero-zero ejection seats, the speed rating is way up there.

I've only owned one emergency chute FAA approved for civilian use and it DID have the canopy type and serial number listed on the packing card, but no speed rating. I'll defer to your experience. I only have a single sample. The only speed ratings I've seen are on sport canopies and rigs themselves, never on a packing card.

I've seen no credible evidence that Cooper checked any packing cards. An author saying he did, even if the author is an FBI agent, doesnt make it a fact.

as far as we know, the rig was a hard pull.

We only assume it was a hard pull because Cossey said so. Cossey seems to enjoy spoofing and playing with people who inquire about the Norjack gear. We have a few examples of that.

A C9 canopy in an NB6 rig doesnt have to be a hard pull, even if the handle has been moved to right outboard. Cossey allegedly has told some people it was an NB8 not an NB6. An NB8 has a larger container volume. Even an NB6 container can be extended giving more volume inside the closed rig. It's an easy job for a rigger and many surplus rigs had this mod done.

The bailout rig that Cooper jumped was originally configured as someone's last chance to survive.

It was probably made for a jumpship pilot. Does it make sense that you'd set it up to be nearly impossible or highly difficult to open? Some jumpship pilots have bailed out VERY low as most wait for all the passengers to get out first if there is a fire or structural failue. A hard pull adds deadly seconds to deploying a chute. Does that make sense for an emergency rig?

Think about it.

377 buying into a conspiracy! Do you realize what you just said above?

Reminded me of something Knoss said to me on the phone one time and I told him he was nuts. He had claimed that the chutes were prepared for this jump by someone connected to this "group". He even suggested that the chutes may have been rigged so that Cooper would not survive. Maybe the guy was NOT so crazy after all!

If this was an "operation" they wanted Cooper to die and this just might explain why later the Government put such an expensive plane into the search.
If it was an "operation" Cooper could not get caught - he had to die! Oh What if?

Nahhh! that doesn't make sense. Or does it? Remember I am entitled to theories just like everyone else . This is a "just maybe you are on to something" moment - to borrow Florences remark about a suspect.

Sure makes a good take off for Gray's next book and I have a feeling that is the direction he is headed in. His last chapter - I thought he was just having fun with all of this - but, then maybe he was "on to something". Nnnaha!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Blevins keeps railing about Bruce and the photos
of Tina. Bruce didnt take those photos. Galen Cook
did, obviously with Tina's awareness. Bruce then
published the photos with Galen Cook's permission.
So what's the bug up Blevin's patoot about ?

Hey, I thought it was supposed to be a SECRET about Galen taking those photos! He sent me one a LONG time ago and told me not to tell anyone. He even tried later to get me to post it - but, I am not a damn FOOL. I also had more consideration for Tina. So he got Bruce to 'jump" for him.
I had NO intentions of destoying any chance I might ever have to spend a few moments with Tina.

I even spared her from me - and that took lots of self-control on my part.

Jo Geof states he is Coopered out and he will not write another book on this case.How ever so you and all others Know you can order the Book through Barnes and Noble and it will arrive in about a week Shelly said she ordered one and it cost 15.95.As for a government conspiracy that is a hard one to believe. Still you are intitled to your opinion on that. Jerry

Jo Geof states he is Coopered out and he will not write another book on this case.How ever so you and all others Know you can order the Book through Barnes and Noble and it will arrive in about a week Shelly said she ordered one and it cost 15.95.As for a government conspiracy that is a hard one to believe. Still you are intitled to your opinion on that. Jerry

I am trying NOT to respond to your post, but you just are asking for this one. You are totally encapable of comprehendeing when someone is joking around. I was referring to Grey's little "play" of buying into the Black Ops thing in his last chapter. He mentions a newpaper clipping in Duane's old wallet.

You see I know this clipping has another meaning and what it means. Nothing mysterious about it and nothing Black Ops about it.

:D:ph34r:;):S
Whatever Cugie Wants Cugie get! It is hilarious what one can read into a small clipping in a dead man's wallet... Especially one who has confessed to being Dan Cooper.

Perhaps the story really starts in N.Y. with Roach Studios. I am not trying to be funny right now, but I am cracking up!:D:D:D

The next line and unrelated is "The Disenchanted". I am not from N.Y. and have only been there twice - never did get to see a Broadway Musical. Maybe Duane and his wife of the times did. Both told me they spent New Yrs. in N.Y. - and the only yr that could have been was 1972.

By the way - isn't this when Cooper supposedly contacted MAX Gunther?:) Oh, and by the way - supposedly they were separated at that time.
Hmmm! Maybe this story will make a 90 degree turn on a clipping in an old wallet. You Think?

Guess it all depends on how much information is on a small clipping in an old wallet.

Black Ops code or a New York Musical in 1972??? Just depends on what one is looking for - a story or the truth. I will settle for the truth.

Next episode - Searching for Max Gunther's files in N.Y.

I didn't compare it to today. However, in a way you can because this case is well known and lingering and people are still claiming Cooper as a relative. Where's the one's coming forward that actually went missing if Cooper died?
Certainly, a person can go missing from outside the juristiction and not be missed but I would bet that the great majority of people that do go missing ARE MISSED.
As far as Cooper making it or not I am on the fence.
My opinion stands that he did it alone and had a vehicle somewhere to hike back to and pick up his stuff which he wouldn't be walking around with...he left the Portland area and returned to it for some reason as opposed to staying on and jumping somewheres near Reno.

This has to stop Guru. but not before I say one more thing.

Maized and Cornfused, You know the Led Zeppelin song, right?

377 it is a good thing that you were lost in the 'maize' and didn't get 'creamed'.
Melvin Luther Wilson - Missing Person since September 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QLnFvk8Fs

I have a couple of thoughts on the front/back parachute request. Maybe the hijacker hadn't jumped in a really long time and was unfamiliar with the current terms used by sport parchutists in 1971.

Or perhaps he gave them just enough info to get what he wanted without revealing he knew a LOT about jumping.

Or maybe he just wanted two front and two back parachutes. ;)

While sports parachuting was still relatively new in 1971, there was no problem with the lingo. Cooper wanted front parachutes that could be attached to the back parachute harness.

According to Tosaw's book, when Cooper saw that the front chutes could not be used with the back chutes, he told Tina that "they" should have known what he meant. And that was two functional sets of chutes each consisting of a front and back chute.

I didn't compare it to today. However, in a way you can because this case is well known and lingering and people are still claiming Cooper as a relative. Where's the one's coming forward that actually went missing if Cooper died?
Certainly, a person can go missing from outside the juristiction and not be missed but I would bet that the great majority of people that do go missing ARE MISSED.

Mel Ward went missing. He was already a wanted felon and has never been found.