10 10
quade

DB Cooper

Tom,

Another, the Lycopodium Clavatum.. the pill lubricant.

The conclusion was Cooper was a pill popper.

Hahneman had and used Dramamine and Compoz during his hijacking.

How do we find out if these contained Lycopodium Clavatum, especially the Compoz as it had a foil wrapper which requires a pill lubricant.

I have researched the early Compoz tablets and can't determine if it was coated. It was changed in the late 70's as one of its ingredients was banned.

FBI - "Prior to eating a Dramamine pill, the hijacker broke the pill in half and required the First Officer to consume half of the pill. The First Officer stated he thought the hijacker would parachute from the plane once they were airborne. He further suggested that this individual should be compared with D. B. Cooper, who hijacked a Northwest Airlines plane in Seattle previously."

FBI - Compoz - “This tranquilizer was given to stewardess ________ on 5/5/72, by the Unsub hijacker of flight 175. According to ______ hijacker handled this foil package without the benefit of gloves.”

"Compoz contains a long list of ingredients, some of which are known to have sedating effects at doses higher than those in the patent medicine. The contents are scopolamine (a sedative), the antihistamines methapyrilene and pyrilamine maleate (which also have sedating effects), salicylamide (a pain reliever), extract of passion flower (believed to be sedative at high doses) and the B vitamins, thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine and niacinami de."

"Dr. Rickels said that scopolamine, to name one ingredient, could produce such side effects as blurred vision, increased pressure in the eye, urinary retention and, at high doses, mental confusion, excitement and delirium."
https://www.nytimes.com/1973/01/14/archives/study-criticizes-effect-of-compoz-review-by-fda-ingredients-listed.html

Compoza.jpg.8ac709b347a2ce4f6f67e871b9466546.jpg

compoztest.jpeg.2bbe711fff661c67f38fa90c4d88fe92.jpeg

I made my first road trip in a few weeks today (to Alabama of all places, the very week of the Alabama - Tennessee game). 

I'm a little behind on podcasts, so today I finally got around to listening to the Marla podcast. I gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to hang out with Marla some time and throw back a few Miller Lites. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I made my first road trip in a few weeks today (to Alabama of all places, the very week of the Alabama - Tennessee game). 

I'm a little behind on podcasts, so today I finally got around to listening to the Marla podcast. I gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to hang out with Marla some time and throw back a few Miller Lites. 

Haven't heard that one. Hers was the only story I didn't care to listen to, because I have interviewed her myself and found her testimony lacking. As in full of holes like a pound of Swiss cheese lacking. Otherwise, she's probably an okay person. 

From the Newsvine article, Ten Questions for Marla Cooper

Hi Robert.
At lease five of my wisest friends advised me to just ignore you. I don't always follow good advice, especially when my gut tells me to do otherwise. I just could not resist the opportunity to write my own answers for once. My inner Dave Barry came out a little. 

To keep things simple, I made my words red. I like red. But I like the blue dress you put on me in your cartoons even better!

Marla Wynn Cooper

Hi Marla,
I will list the questions below and leave space in between, in case you want to do cut and paste and just fill in the blanks. Or you can just print this up and give your answers. I tried not to get too specific on some questions. We're not trying to trick you here. Just attempting get the facts as best as you can recall. We understand you were only eight years old at the time. 

1) When your uncle showed up at your grandmother's house the day after the hijacking, you said he was injured. To your best recollection, what was he wearing and how badly do you think he was hurt?

Marla:  He was wearing a bloody white t-shirt. He was badly wounded. I would say he was delirious. I don't remember him speaking at all. The tie and sunglasses were conspicuously absent.

2) $5,800 of the ransom was discovered on the banks of the Columbia River in 1980. Do you have a theory on how the money arrived there? 

Marla:  I agree with the theory that the money was dredged to the location where it was found. My dad told me LD dropped the money when he had a problem with the chute. 

3) One question that arises persistently is about verification from your other family members regarding events at your grandmother's house the day after the hijacking. Your mother has gone on record saying that she had suspicions LD was the hijacker. Have any other of your family members gone on record, and what do they say? 

Marla:  No one was around when the two arrived on Thanksgiving morning. My mother and grandmother had left the house. My brother and sister were probably sleeping. It was early in the morning. I'm not sure if anyone has "gone on record."

4) In recent news articles, you have claimed that Curtis Eng, current FBI case agent in Seattle for the Cooper case (or the Seattle FBI media agent) met with you and said he believed your uncle was either the best suspect, or that he believed LD Cooper was the hijacker, and that regardless of the print results on LD, that the FBI is planning to drop the case reasonably soon. Do you stand by these statements?

Marla:  Yes. Except he said "close" not "drop" the case. Are you sure these aren't trick questions? That one was pretty tricky!

5) You've been quoted in a couple of news stories as saying the FBI showed pictures of LD Cooper to at least some surviving members of Flight 305's flight crew, and that at least one of them identified LD as possibly being the hijacker. Which flight crew were shown the picture, and which one(s) identified him as possibly being Cooper?

Marla:  Well gee Robert, the FBI didn't invite me to tag along for their investigation, so I couldn't tell you "which one." I was told that a crew member had said: "Of all the photos you've every brought to me, this one sure looks like him." My guess would be it was one of the flight attendants who said that.

6) There has been much research done on the famous Cooper comic book. It was mostly distributed in France, Belgium, and some parts of eastern Canada. Very few copies reached the United States. Yet you claim your uncle had several copies on the wall of the bedroom at your grandmother's house. When you think about it today, do you have any theories on how he might have acquired them?

Marla:  Yes I do. He had a car. I'm pretty sure he could drive it. The trek to Canada isn't impossible under those circumstances. One of my theories is that he bought them in Canada. Since I only saw my Uncle once a year, he had plenty of time to do things I wasn't privy to. However it's more logical to me that he discovered "Dan Cooper" while serving in the Navy during the Korean war.

7) One well-known quote in your story is your Uncle LD saying, 'We did it. Our money problems are over...we hijacked a plane.' Were any other still-living family members present when LD allegedly made this statement? If they are no longer living, then who else heard him make this statement?

Marla:  You're mistaken. My uncle Dewey, not LD, said this to my father. Nobody else was around to hear it. Sorry about my dad's untimely death. Really. It's been damned inconvenient overall.

8) In your research on LD Cooper, did you discover any evidence that he may have had at least a minimum experience in using a parachute?

Marla:  Evidence? No. You seem to be assuming that my book research involves some type of sleuthing into all things DB Cooper. It does not. Someone in my family had told me LD was a paratrooper. There has also been speculation he could have taken skydiving lessons. Lots of people do that sort of thing.

9) The Deschutes County Sheriffs Department near Sisters, Oregon has been made aware of your claim about LD Cooper saying he was in a car accident, and that was how he received his injuries. You say it was a result of a bad landing after the hijacking jump, based on his statement that he and Dewey actually hijacked a jet instead. How will you respond if they discover an accident report from the time of the crime with either LD's or Dewey's name on it?

Marla:  Let's start by getting strait AGAIN about who was Dewey and who was LD since you seem to be having trouble with this. Dewey: Younger brother. Shiny bald head. Man on the ground. Drove the car. Did the talking on Thanksgiving morning. Dewey told me they had been in a wreck when I asked what happened to LD, who was wounded and bleeding in the passenger seat. LD: Guy with slicked receding dark hair and heavy duty sideburns. Didn't talk to me on Thanksgiving Day, just sat in the passenger's side of the (not wrecked) car while being badly wounded, which alarmed me. Bloody uncles in cars had been virtually absent from my life up until, and pretty much after, that morning.

I know what I saw Thanksgiving morning. The car wasn't wrecked. When the Deschutes County Sheriff's Department produces a document stating my uncles were in an accident on that day, I will begin formulating my own conspiracy theories like maybe it was Kenneth Christiansen wrecking cars and claiming to be my Uncles! Kenny looks really happy.

Robert says:  Portland FBI and Deschutes County have been told about your claim. No one knows if they are actually researching the old records, but it is likely they could be checking.

Marla:  Why is it likely they would they be checking? Because YOU asked them to? ooooh! I'm really really scared now. Here's another thing Curtis told me a long time ago Robert. When "Decoded" did the story about Christiansen, I asked him "What do you think about that theory?" Curtis sort of groaned in that cool Asian guy way of his and said "We ruled him out a long time ago. There's no way he could have done it. We all just wish that guy would just sort of go away." I don't think he was talking about Christiansen, being that he was previously dead by having died before that and all. I think Curtis was probably talking about YOU. I bet he would even "go on record" to say it too. Go ahead. Call him up. Or maybe get Bruce or Jerry to do it. Bruce especially likes calling people up, and Jerry has Curtis's number.

10) During the time that LD Cooper stayed at your grandmother's house, was he known to have his own car? Optional: Do you know what type of car he owned? 

Marla:  He had a car. I think it was a blue Triumph. 

Submitted by Robert Blevins
12/12/2011
My thanks to you for agreeing to answer these questions.

Marla:  You're welcome. And thank YOU for contacting me for a "fair" interview, even if you had to be smoked out of your hole to do it. Don't forget, I have it on record that you "will not change one word" of my answers. We'll see if you really meant it. 

If you managed to wade through all that, I can tell you it was one of the most bizarre interviews I have ever done. Many of her answers were peppered with smart ass comments, most of which I deleted so she wouldn't look TOO bad. But there were many obvious discrepancies in her story. She believes in the dredge theory, but claimed at first her uncle landed in Sisters, Oregon. When someone reminded her about the Tina Bar money, she changed her story, saying her other uncle drove up in a blue Triumph to Washington and picked him up near Tina Bar. 

Her own brother saw her story on Marla's Facebook page and commented:  "I'm not going near this one," and he was present at the grandmother's house during the hijacking. Same with her sister, same with her mother, who only voiced a weak suggestion that LD 'could' be Cooper but offered no testimony.

None of them would verify her story. I could go on...but why bother? Supposedly everyone still had Thanksgiving dinner together the next night and somehow no one noticed Uncle LD's condition, or remembered it. She admitted being under a doctor's care and prescribed drugs for AADD (Adult Attention Deficit Disorder) and made fun of Geoff Gray's sudden drop in book sales after she came forward. (All of this on her Facebook, yes) She bragged about 'creating her own media frenzy' as well. A book publisher later dropped her from consideration, so she self-published at Amazon instead. That in itself is not bad, but the other things show someone who was definitely out to make a buck, and providing the truth to any real questions, or offering any viable witnesses...was irrelevant to her. 

Still...when I did the article at Newsvine about her, I did say she was a popular figure in Cooperland, and mentioned her famous nickname, Twisty Butt.

I basically saw her as harmless, but not exactly truthful. B| 

Marla1.gif

Marla2.gif

marla3.gif

marla4.gif

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

The more I run our '100 Hijackers/100 Days' series (with the support of author Brendan Koerner) over at the Quora Site on Cooper, the more I realize just how many books hijackers have written that I have never heard of. Number 11 in the series is Anthony Bryant, a claimed Black Panther who hijacked a plane to Cuba in 1969 thinking he was entering a Utopian society. But on the way there, he robbed passengers of their cash, and ONE of them was a Cuban intelligence agent. Uh, oh. His book details his immediate arrest in Cuba, and the horrors he survived for more than a decade afterward. Now...this book I recommend. I have put it on my Wish List at Amazon and will be ordering it soon. If you do the same thing, make sure you check Details carefully before ordering...and get one that includes the dust jacket. If it doesn't have the jacket, skip it.
EDIT: Book ordered from Amazon. I have to read this one for sure. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

21 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Tom,

Another, the Lycopodium Clavatum.. the pill lubricant.

The conclusion was Cooper was a pill popper.

Hahneman had and used Dramamine and Compoz during his hijacking.

How do we find out if these contained Lycopodium Clavatum, especially the Compoz as it had a foil wrapper which requires a pill lubricant.

I have researched the early Compoz tablets and can't determine if it was coated. It was changed in the late 70's as one of its ingredients was banned.

FBI - "Prior to eating a Dramamine pill, the hijacker broke the pill in half and required the First Officer to consume half of the pill. The First Officer stated he thought the hijacker would parachute from the plane once they were airborne. He further suggested that this individual should be compared with D. B. Cooper, who hijacked a Northwest Airlines plane in Seattle previously."

FBI - Compoz - “This tranquilizer was given to stewardess ________ on 5/5/72, by the Unsub hijacker of flight 175. According to ______ hijacker handled this foil package without the benefit of gloves.”

"Compoz contains a long list of ingredients, some of which are known to have sedating effects at doses higher than those in the patent medicine. The contents are scopolamine (a sedative), the antihistamines methapyrilene and pyrilamine maleate (which also have sedating effects), salicylamide (a pain reliever), extract of passion flower (believed to be sedative at high doses) and the B vitamins, thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine and niacinami de."

"Dr. Rickels said that scopolamine, to name one ingredient, could produce such side effects as blurred vision, increased pressure in the eye, urinary retention and, at high doses, mental confusion, excitement and delirium."
https://www.nytimes.com/1973/01/14/archives/study-criticizes-effect-of-compoz-review-by-fda-ingredients-listed.html

Compoza.jpg.8ac709b347a2ce4f6f67e871b9466546.jpg

compoztest.jpeg.2bbe711fff661c67f38fa90c4d88fe92.jpeg

Where is the information saying he had these type pills?  I think I heard this before but was wondering where. Thanks.

2 hours ago, BParker said:

Where is the information saying he had these type pills?  I think I heard this before but was wondering where. Thanks.

This was Hahneman.. not Cooper, he had Dramamine and Compoz for the crew for his hijacking. 

Cooper also said he had pills for the crew.

Lycopodium Clavatum, a pill lubricant was found on the Cooper tie.

19 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

She's a really cool gal. I agree, I'd love to have beers with her.

Thanks for listening to the show.

• Like 1

(edited)

Small note on the Compoz pills:  The usual dose of scopolamine, when prescribed by a doctor, is 1.5 mg, about ten times more than what is found in a Compoz pill. So many pills have...and have HAD coatings on them of so many different types it is hard to narrow down that the substance found on the tie was 100% from a pill coating. As far as the specific ingredient in the pill coating being discussed, ( Lycopodium Clavatum) that stuff is all over the place. Homeopathic remedies, pill coatings...sure, but even an ingredient in fireworks...or it used to be. 

The homeopathic assignments are almost off the scale for Lycopodium Clavatum. It's been prescribed for damn near everything except polio or pancreatic cancer. The plant it comes from is common in North America and it is the pollen which is the main source for LC. 

This substance on the tie could have come from a number of sources. Blowing off fireworks, a homeopathic remedy, or...yes...a pill coating. But it is/was so commonly used that it is almost like saying Cooper's tie had water on it. In order to narrow down a substance on Cooper's tie, you need to find a substance that is used for one thing...and one thing only...and linking that substance with a particular job or activity perhaps. 

An example:  If you found a substance on the tie that was used only in the professional growing of white roses, you could say with some certainty that Cooper was a fan of white roses and probably had a few bushes around his house. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
spelling correction

(edited)

It wasn't just lycopodium clavatum..

"was in fact a powder residue made up of titanium dioxide, silicates and alumina."

but it is true that finding a match isn't conclusive, it is part of a comprehensive profile..

Edited by FLYJACK

All three of those materials have something in common. They can all be included somehow in the manufacturing of aluminum. They have many other separate uses, sure. But all three have been used in the aluminum industry, depending on the use for that aluminum. One *possible* way all three of those materials could end up on a tie is if the owner worked in a place that cut, or did grinding on aluminum parts of different types. Yes, this could be Boeing of course. 

It could also be someone who worked in one of the many subcontractors associated with Boeing. I once did some restoration work for a now-defunct place in Kent, WA named Valley Tool Company. That place had a Boeing contract, and took all kinds of metal work that included tons of grinding. They worked with titanium, aluminum, high-speed steel, you name it. Constant grinding and cutting and drilling all over the shop with buckets of the chips sitting near all the machines. The stuff got on your clothes just walking through the place. 

When the buckets got full, they would haul them to recyclers for sometimes big money, depending on the type of chip or leftover material in the bucket. High-speed steel paid especially well, but so did titanium chip. The owner sometimes sent me to the recyclers to get the money, even though my main job was to try and level an old building next door. Brother...if you have never picked up a five gallon bucket full of high speed steel chip, you should try it sometime. LOL...really, really heavy. I could barely lift it and you didn't use the handle or it would tear free. 

8 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

All three of those materials have something in common. They can all be included somehow in the manufacturing of aluminum. They have many other separate uses, sure. But all three have been used in the aluminum industry, depending on the use for that aluminum. One *possible* way all three of those materials could end up on a tie is if the owner worked in a place that cut, or did grinding on aluminum parts of different types. Yes, this could be Boeing of course. 

It could also be someone who worked in one of the many subcontractors associated with Boeing. I once did some restoration work for a now-defunct place in Kent, WA named Valley Tool Company. That place had a Boeing contract, and took all kinds of metal work that included tons of grinding. They worked with titanium, aluminum, high-speed steel, you name it. Constant grinding and cutting and drilling all over the shop with buckets of the chips sitting near all the machines. The stuff got on your clothes just walking through the place. 

When the buckets got full, they would haul them to recyclers for sometimes big money, depending on the type of chip or leftover material in the bucket. High-speed steel paid especially well, but so did titanium chip. The owner sometimes sent me to the recyclers to get the money, even though my main job was to try and level an old building next door. Brother...if you have never picked up a five gallon bucket full of high speed steel chip, you should try it sometime. LOL...really, really heavy. I could barely lift it and you didn't use the handle or it would tear free. 

You have conflated the "powder"... with other particles.

The Lycopodium Clavatum was a powder "residue made up of titanium dioxide, silicates and alumina."

There were other particles which suggest some type of industrial environment.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the Marla Vortex yet. And a quick search shows a fair amount about Marla, but not so much about her uncle other than how he relates as a possible suspect.

Where was he from, and was it ever established whether he was/became a jumper?

The reason I ask is, and forgive me if I'm wrong, this is a very old memory, but I seem to remember a Lynn Doyle jumping at Southern California drop zones in the early 80's. Don't remember 'Cooper' being part of his name, just Lynn Doyle, everyone just called him 'Doyle'. Would/could this be the same guy?

I don't think it was ever established that he had any jump experience. There really isn't that much that we know about him. The FBI called him their "most promising" suspect, but there's really nothing that I have seen that would justify that. They obviously saw something there that peaked their interest, but I have no idea what that was.

Marla was actually here on DZ for a short period after her story broke. She wasn't treated very well. Someone brought up some personal stuff that had no place here and she got pissed and left. Can't say that I blame her.

(edited)
3 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I don't think it was ever established that he had any jump experience. There really isn't that much that we know about him. The FBI called him their "most promising" suspect, but there's really nothing that I have seen that would justify that. They obviously saw something there that peaked their interest, but I have no idea what that was.

Marla was actually here on DZ for a short period after her story broke. She wasn't treated very well. Someone brought up some personal stuff that had no place here and she got pissed and left. Can't say that I blame her.

Her own Facebook postings...probably. Or something else. She was insistent that her uncle landed outside Sisters, Oregon and that the other uncle was waiting for him on the ground. And that she saw radios...and that's how they did the rendezvous. She said this a few times to national news as well. 

But later, when she was asked to explain the Tina Bar money...which was a great deal of distance from Sisters...she changed her story entirely, saying he jumped at Tina Bar and lost some of the money on the way down. At that point, a lot of people began not buying her story. I only did the one interview with her. The unedited version is pretty bad. 

Also, people wondered why nobody in her family...ALL of whom were at the grandmother's house in Sisters until the following Saturday after the hijacking...would back her story or offer a single bit of supporting testimony. It was a period of months between the time she got her police connection to contact the FBI for her, and by the time the story broke, someone else...mother, sister, brother...(especially MOTHER, who was an adult at the time of the hijacking)...should have had something to say. 

Flyjack says in part:  "The Lycopodium Clavatum was a powder "residue made up of titanium dioxide, silicates and alumina."

I thought LC was a natural substance. Description on it says it comes from a plant. 

To Everyone Else...and concerning Marla Cooper:

I call it like I see it. I am not in a popularity contest, nor do I believe in the concept of 'Cooper Royalty,' where some folks...no matter what ridiculous thing they try to do or say in the case, or with the public..if it is wrong, a lie, or negative...

...is magically overlooked or forgiven...

...just because they are 'accepted' by the other members of Cooper Royalty. No one is above the truth. Not me, not you, not anyone...when it comes to Cooper. There is already enough BS floating around on it now. 

I get messages from people, encouraging ones sometimes...telling me that at least they trust me to give it to them straight and without an agenda. If that puts me outside the small, rather closed Cooper community, then so be it. I would rather be there than spend time back-slapping with others telling each other how cool we all are, or how someone else is so bad because they don't support the concept of Cooper Royalty. B| I do have a certain set of morals, and I'm not pointing fingers, but my biggest pet peeve is PHONIES...no matter where they are or who they represent.

Positive and truth are rewarded. Negative and phony are brought into the light of day, sometimes for all to see. This policy automatically makes you a few enemies, but I would rather live in that world than in the alternative. It makes it easier to look at yourself in the mirror each morning. 

Nobody has achieved perfection in truth or accuracy when it comes to Cooper. Not even me. A couple of examples:  When I said that I had the Palmer Report coming from Portland State University, when I knew I had only APPLIED to get it...and never got it anyway. Or when I insisted that Captain Scott actually walked back to speak with Cooper. There are more examples, I'm sure. Just goes to show we're all basically riding the same ship...but some people hang out in different staterooms than others. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert, as I said above, I've never seen much in the way of evidence that would lead me to consider LD a viable suspect. However, IF he was Cooper, Marla was a child at the time that it happened. Any landing spot for him would be pure speculation on her part even if he was the hijacker. For that reason, I don't look at that as one of the reasons to dismiss her story. 

9 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Her own Facebook postings...probably. Or something else. She was insistent that her uncle landed outside Sisters, Oregon and that the other uncle was waiting for him on the ground. And that she saw radios...and that's how they did the rendezvous. She said this a few times to national news as well. 

But later, when she was asked to explain the Tina Bar money...which was a great deal of distance from Sisters...she changed her story entirely, saying he jumped at Tina Bar and lost some of the money on the way down. At that point, a lot of people began not buying her story. I only did the one interview with her. The unedited version is pretty bad. 

Also, people wondered why nobody in her family...ALL of whom were at the grandmother's house in Sisters until the following Saturday after the hijacking...would back her story or offer a single bit of supporting testimony. It was a period of months between the time she got her police connection to contact the FBI for her, and by the time the story broke, someone else...mother, sister, brother...(especially MOTHER, who was an adult at the time of the hijacking)...should have had something to say. 

Flyjack says in part:  "The Lycopodium Clavatum was a powder "residue made up of titanium dioxide, silicates and alumina."

I thought LC was a natural substance. Description on it says it comes from a plant. 

To Everyone Else...and concerning Marla Cooper:

I call it like I see it. I am not in a popularity contest, nor do I believe in the concept of 'Cooper Royalty,' where some folks...no matter what ridiculous thing they try to do or say in the case, or with the public..if it is wrong, a lie, or negative...

...is magically overlooked or forgiven...

...just because they are 'accepted' by the other members of Cooper Royalty. No one is above the truth. Not me, not you, not anyone...when it comes to Cooper. There is already enough BS floating around on it now. 

I get messages from people, encouraging ones sometimes...telling me that at least they trust me to give it to them straight and without an agenda. If that puts me outside the small, rather closed Cooper community, then so be it. I would rather be there than spend time back-slapping with others telling each other how cool we all are, or how someone else is so bad because they don't support the concept of Cooper Royalty. B| I do have a certain set of morals, and I'm not pointing fingers, but my biggest pet peeve is PHONIES...no matter where they are or who they represent.

Positive and truth are rewarded. Negative and phony are brought into the light of day, sometimes for all to see. This policy automatically makes you a few enemies, but I would rather live in that world than in the alternative. It makes it easier to look at yourself in the mirror each morning. 

Nobody has achieved perfection in truth or accuracy when it comes to Cooper. Not even me. A couple of examples:  When I said that I had the Palmer Report coming from Portland State University, when I knew I had only APPLIED to get it...and never got it anyway. Or when I insisted that Captain Scott actually walked back to speak with Cooper. There are more examples, I'm sure. Just goes to show we're all basically riding the same ship...but some people hang out in different staterooms than others. 

To clarify,,

Lycopocium Clavatum is a natural substance, however Kaye found that it was a "residue made up of titanium dioxide, silicates and alumina." on the Cooper tie.

It wasn't pure,, that "powder formulation" led Kaye to conclude it was a pill lubricant.

Lycopodium Clavatum can be found in many things but this powder formulation seems to be specific. It was also used for a latex lubricant but it was eliminated from the market. Not clear if it was still used at the time.

There were other particles of pure titanium, aluminum and silicon which are not related to the LC  powder.

Up early this morning and found another book at Amazon by a hijacker who was let off the sky pirate charge on mental issues. Fooled them good, I guess. Added to my Wish List at Amazon and will be ordering soon. Like some of the other recent 'books-by-hijackers' I've found, I didn't know this guy either. 

Found this one after I posted #14 of the Brendan Koerner series, 100 Days/100 Hijackers at the Quora Cooper site. No links. You probably know where all that lives anyway. B| 

Koerner might know more about hijackers over the years than any of us do. 

4 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Up early this morning and found another book at Amazon by a hijacker who was let off the sky pirate charge on mental issues. Fooled them good, I guess. Added to my Wish List at Amazon and will be ordering soon. Like some of the other recent 'books-by-hijackers' I've found, I didn't know this guy either. 

Found this one after I posted #14 of the Brendan Koerner series, 100 Days/100 Hijackers at the Quora Cooper site. No links. You probably know where all that lives anyway. B| 

Koerner might know more about hijackers over the years than any of us do. 

What are the details of this person being let off on mental issues?  Did he have to go to a mental home at all? Was this before or after Cooper? I ask because I wonder how many people got off on a hijacking charge claiming mental illness.  Given that there were a lot of hijackings, did anyone else get off on that?

(edited)
6 hours ago, BParker said:

What are the details of this person being let off on mental issues?  Did he have to go to a mental home at all? Was this before or after Cooper? I ask because I wonder how many people got off on a hijacking charge claiming mental illness.  Given that there were a lot of hijackings, did anyone else get off on that?

Yes, there were others. Arthur Barkley was crazy as a loon. The easiest way to find out about these things is to examine all 102 or so (some are 'bonus' hijackers) in the series about hijackers done by Brendan Koerner. I will link you to the main series HERE. We're running them one a day over the next hundred days at Quora Cooper. I didn't read them all in advance. I just read them one at a time while posting them to Quora. 

Frankly, it's more fun that wayB| Once in a while, one of them writes a book. I intend to collect them all, no matter how crazy the book ends up. 

But if you want to see all one hundred entries at once, then use the link above. Or you can go one at a time. Up to you. As far as Arthur Barkley, his picture alone (shown below) tells you this guy doesn't have both oars in the water. Barkley is #12 on the Koerner list. 

skyjackerArthurBarkley.jpg

Arthur Barkley: Definitely certifiable. Asked for a hundred million dollars from the airline, but not to be paid by THEM...but from the US Supreme Court. That much cash would have taken up most of the cargo hold, probably. :) He got a bit angry when the airline came up 99.9% or so short on the cash delivery. He ended up in a mental hospital. 

Trivia Fact:  If they had actually paid Barkley the money he wanted (in twenty dollar bills) the cash would have weighed 11,000 pounds, which is five and a half tons. (This approximate figure is based on the 22 pounds that Cooper's ransom weighed at $200,000 in twenties) Even if they paid him in hundred dollar bills, the load would have run just over a ton. Guess he wasn't planning to go the parachute route. 9_9

Edited by RobertMBlevins

US 727 hijackings for ransom with parachutes..

Only Cooper, McCoy, Hahneman, Heady and McNally actually jumped.

November 24, 1971  Dan Cooper aka D B Cooper 

January 12, 1972  Billy Gene Hurst, Jr - Apprehended after crew secretly escaped. Never jumped. History of mental illness.

April 7, 1972  Richard Floyd McCoy, Jr -  arrested and convicted.

April 9, 1972 Stanley Harlan Speck - tricked by crew and apprehended sent to mental institution.

May 5, 1972  Frederick William Hahneman - jumped into Honduran jungle surrendered 4 weeks later.

June 2, 1972 Rob Heady - apprehended next day on ground.

June 23, 1972  Martin J. McNally - fingerprints led to McNally.

July 12, 1972  Melvin Martin Fisher - demanded ransom and chute opened door and decided to give up.