18 18
quade

DB Cooper

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RobertMBlevins said:

 I would simply delete the whole thing, save a ton of bandwidth, and let people do their DB Cooper battles elsewhere. The truth is that Dropzone is a very good website dedicated to everything skydiving, and its members don't deserve to be burdened with such a thread. 

They are the RULES set by this website. I simply agree with them. what part of that don't you understand? 

You are harassing me through the PM function on this site? I don't need your permission to post that. if anything, you need my permission to post things off my site where you are banned? you are disrupting this thread with speaking about others and putting words into there mouths. this is not your thread to decide what content applies, the administration has made it clear. I asked you three times to stop sending PM's only to continue sending them. you are adding fuel to Derek's protest disrupting the thread further..

??????????

"posts that are not related to the case and merely address other users are not what this thread is for, and we will start handing out more warnings to posts that violate this approach." 

Added: "We opened the thread because the topic is fascinating and we want others to be able to follow the case, not so that people have to wade through user's public conflicts."

The only "battle" appears to come from your end only...

Edited by mrshutter45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert, you are wrong. These so called allegations from an anonymous emailer to you are none of mine or anyone else's business, including yours. They have nothing to do with the DB Cooper case. If Eric has done something wrong, then someone should go to law enforcement. Otherwise, people need to mind their own damn business. I know that's hard for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather was kinda crappy and I had a few other things to do, so I didn't go to the dropzone this weekend. That means that by the time I go next weekend, it'll be two weeks between jumps. Man, my feet are gonna be sore from standin' on the ground so long...

Anyways, I thought I'd exercise a bit of futility and throw a few cents in.

Robert and Shutter, if this thread gets shut down again, I'm gonna blame YOU. The two of you constantly bickering the same crap back and forth in a public forum is embarrassing, and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. And now you want the thread trashed because you can't have the last word? How selfish and petulant is that? Seriously, you two should just get on the phone and argue about it privately. Better, you should just drop it. Apparently it's old crap and you're not going to agree. Rather than trash this thread, Meso should just ban the two of you. WHICH WOULD BE A SHAME, because the two of you are clearly long time, knowledgable researchers on the case, and your input ON THE CASE is valuable. So PLEASE...

Derek's constant spamming is annoying, but at least he's got some humor about it, and it's easy to skim past. (That photo of the Sirhan Band, or whatever it was, was hilarious.) But trying to pick the needles like the latest Vortex podcast or Flyjack's contributions out of the haystack of balderdash between you two, THAT'S what is annoying.

Again, gentlemen, PLEASE...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Robert, you are wrong. These so called allegations from an anonymous emailer to you are none of mine or anyone else's business, including yours. They have nothing to do with the DB Cooper case. If Eric has done something wrong, then someone should go to law enforcement. Otherwise, people need to mind their own damn business. I know that's hard for you.

Why didn't you give this speech to Bruce Smith when he showed up uninvited at stew Tina Mucklow's door and harassed her? Or when he wrote that horrible, and untrue article about her sister's family, the Dormans? That was so bad...and the Dormans saw the article...that they will no longer speak to anyone regarding the Cooper case? Or when he allows those filthy comments about Gayla and myself to exist at his website? You can't have it both ways. 

All right. I have read all the posts on these issues today, including taking a real good look at the one done by Dudeman, and this is what I will do. And all of you should listen real close, because I have had quite enough of the baloney, I can assure you. I'm also going to give all of you credit for intelligence. 

Let me say this:  We know now who sent the messages, and the people they concern and it wasn't Eric's ex-wife. I don't have to repeat those allegations. Unless you're really slow, you've seen them at Quora or WordPress by now. Also by now...you've figured out two things. First, that I was right when I said that Eric did one of the most dirty tricks ever pulled on the Cooper public when he accepted the hosting job to a combination event that people worked on months...and then deliberately trashed it in favor of a much crappier event where people are now asked to pay a whopping fifteen bucks a ticket. 

Second, that the allegations now have substance (because we investigated further), and when Eric came onto Dropzone and immediately blamed his ex wife without even knowing a thing about what was said...is extremely suspicious in itself. Why? Because it indicates to me he knew something was up and and what it was all about...without even being told. That kind of reaction is called guilt, folks. Or haven't you wondered WHY he hasn't offered up one single defense to anything alleged, the most important being the combination event, for which he HAS no explanation unless he planned to trash the event once he got control of it. NOW...he asks all of you to support his new 'thing' even though you know in your heart it will probably be only The Eric Show and a big crash and burn. If he couldn't get people to attend last year's event for free, what makes you think they will cough up fifteen bucks for this year's version?

The lesson here is:  Don't place blind loyalty behind someone just because they are a member of a certain website or designated 'Cooper Royalty'. This is foolish. You should stand up to Eric and demand to know the truth on why he has done the things he did. Not the personal incident so much...but things that he asks YOU to involve yourself in personally. Like his pathetic version of Coopercon that is coming in about seven weeks and will probably be poorly attended. Ask yourself why he took the original job and then made sure it disappeared. Who benefits from him doing that? Only Eric. And then ask yourself if you would support ME if I had the gall to do such a thing. 

However, after some long thought I have reached a compromise on all of these issues, and I will list what I intend to do. Read carefully, and please don't bitch about them otherwise I might change my mind:

1) I have decided to re-instate the original plan for the final Cooper Campout of the year and everyone has been informed that it is ON for next weekend. All but one person has responded that they will attend. 

2) I have decided to cancel the two videos I was going to do concerning certain subjects and go with something else. Or do no videos at all. It depends. 

3) I will assume you have intelligence and now understand the two main points I made regarding Eric and his actions in the Cooper case, the MAIN ones. First, that he deliberately trashed an event that was to be the biggest thing EVER on Cooper for the public...and that was his intention from the start. Second, that it is alleged by now-confirmed sources...that Eric *MAY* have used his position at last year's Coopercon for something he knew better than to do, and that it was frankly an ugly thing. (I'll assume for the sake of argument most of you went to either WordPress or Quora and saw the details.)

4) The remainder I will leave to your consciences. Deep down, I figure you must realize I didn't just make this stuff up regarding Eric's actions on both issues. That what I told you was the truth. I turn the job of deciding what, if anything, to do about all that over to you. Peer pressure is certainly needed here. That's an opinion. In a perfect world, all of you who were asked by Eric to attend and speak...likely to a mostly empty venue...should demand to know why you SHOULD. I certainly would. 

You get the events you deserve. Don't settle for crap. Support only the things Cooper-related that are POSITIVE, or make sense. 

5) I'm going to remove the posts at Quora and WordPress about the upcoming videos and replace them with the original announcements on the Cooper Campout and leave it at that. 

In about seven weeks, we will all know whether Eric's current plan was actually a better idea for you, and the public...or only served Eric and little else. One of the reasons I tried to help on the combination event is because some of the people who would have been involved, like Marty Andrade, and Bruce Smith, have books out there they are trying to promote...and it helps when there are actually media (Oregon Public Broadcasting) and a real audience to listen to you. I was doing this for all of you...not me. I wasn't even going on stage except for a moment or two with the Decoded cast. 

Now NEXT year...I want you to consider the idea of supporting AB's event in Seattle and I will guarantee you one thing and one thing only. When you stand up there onstage and look out at the audience, you won't see a lot of empty seats. And I will not ask you twice for your support, or whether you want to participate. Consider those things before you make any decisions. If you are on auto-guidance mode non-supporting anything partly or completely hosted publicly in the Cooper case by Adventure Books, you might want to reconsider that position later. But wait until you see the results of Eric's efforts this year, to give both of us a shot for results. And base your support and decisions on RESULTS, not who happens to be the Flavor of the Month. 

As far as Eric goes, I'm counting on the idea that he has seen the allegations and will cease those activities if he is guilty of them. And...that he will either come through for the people who support him this year, or they will finally see reason about him. 

And...that if you finally want the bickering to cease once and for all...stop going to other websites and either making or supporting negative comments. You want it all to stop? You have to do a housecleaning first and examine your own consciences. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

More Placard evidence..

I found a better image of the "placard",, also a pic of the 727 control panel Boeing decals.

The letters DO NOT not match the Boeing era font, note the "C" (more open), the "A" (sharp top) and the E (mid line length). The Placard has a different/newer font.

The font does not match Boeing 727 external decals either.

 

Conclusion,, based on this and the other facts it is extremely unlikely the "placard" came from NORJAK.

 

727airstairsplacard.jpeg

727_47.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Seems like every time I 'drop by Dropzone' I have to put someone on the ignore list before I go any further. B| You know how it is...you get tired of scrolling past the posts and all. This is the sixth time in a couple of weeks, but not a real big deal I guess. 

Some Cooper-related updates:  We got an inquiry from the EXU staff working on another DB Cooper episode, so I sent them an extended message with links and updates. Things have changed somewhat since we worked with them back when the last party at the Ariel Store happened. Mostly, I gave them background on what AB of Seattle has been doing since that time, and directed them to our Quora Space on Cooper, as well as the WordPress blog and the YouTube channel. My thanks to Amanda, Tony, and Nicole for remembering us. To be fair to others who have also been contacted about this show, I informed EXU (Expedition Unknown TV show) there had been some 'rifts' between our group at AB of Seattle, and the people who mainly hang out at The DB Cooper Forum, but that yes...we could work with them if necessary. 

I had to switch the dates for the upcoming Cooper Campout because we had a cleaning customer whose dishwasher flooded their place and we had to reschedule them to the next day. This means the campout has been moved to Friday, October 4th through the following Monday. It was originally scheduled for Thursday through Sunday. TODAY I am off work and prepping for the trip. Tomorrow I work, and Thursday as well. We leave on Friday morning very early. This actually works better for us because some of the folks attending this event can now listen to all the NFL games on Westwood One radio network, if we can't get them over the air using our digital TV antenna. That far out, sometimes you can get a few Seattle stations, and sometimes not. But radio is no problem. We have two radios that will work, and we simply attach a fifty foot wire to the antenna and toss it over a tree. Works every time. 

In a more 'fun' kind of thing, I started doing a daily pinned post at the Everything DB Cooper Space at Quora. Author Brendan I. Koerner...I am a big fan and we are Facebook friends. (His book: The Skies Belong to Us - Love and Terror in the Golden Age of Hijacking) Well...Brendan did this wonderful series of short articles on 100 different hijackers, and we started posting them in order, one per day. I thought it would be fun to drop that on our followers there for the next few months. 

Other than all that, just the usual stuff. We work, we play out in the woods, we do the occasional Cooper thing. :) On a side note, even BEFORE Cooper pulled his little stunt, J Edgar Hoover was definitely getting pissed off about all the hijackings, and started making suggestions to the White House about how to stop them. Below is a now-unclassified letter he sent to the White House in 1970:

 

 

UnhappyHoover.jpg

Of course, there are minor errors in my notes on the letter. First, Hoover was dead by the time the Statute of Limitations came around on the Cooper hijacking. And it was actually just over ONE year prior to the hijacker when this letter went out, not two years. My bad, but it doesn't take away from the fact Hoover was getting seriously tired of the all hijackings. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
'Sunday, not SATURDAY'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Seems like every time I 'drop by Dropzone' I have to put someone on the ignore list before I go any further. B| You know how it is...you get tired of scrolling past the posts and all. This is the sixth time in a couple of weeks, but not a real big deal I guess. 

Some Cooper-related updates:  We got an inquiry from the EXU staff working on another DB Cooper episode, so I sent them an extended message with links and updates. Things have changed somewhat since we worked with them back when the last party at the Ariel Store happened. Mostly, I gave them background on what AB of Seattle has been doing since that time, and directed them to our Quora Space on Cooper, as well as the WordPress blog and the YouTube channel. My thanks to Amanda, Tony, and Nicole for remembering us. To be fair to others who have also been contacted about this show, I informed EXU (Expedition Unknown TV show) there had been some 'rifts' between our group at AB of Seattle, and the people who mainly hang out at The DB Cooper Forum, but that yes...we could work with them if necessary. 

I had to switch the dates for the upcoming Cooper Campout because we had a cleaning customer whose dishwasher flooded their place and we had to reschedule them to the next day. This means the campout has been moved to Friday, October 4th through the following Monday. It was originally scheduled for Thursday through Sunday. TODAY I am off work and prepping for the trip. Tomorrow I work, and Thursday as well. We leave on Friday morning very early. This actually works better for us because some of the folks attending this event can now listen to all the NFL games on Westwood One radio network, if we can't get them over the air using our digital TV antenna. That far out, sometimes you can get a few Seattle stations, and sometimes not. But radio is no problem. We have two radios that will work, and we simply attach a fifty foot wire to the antenna and toss it over a tree. Works every time. 

In a more 'fun' kind of thing, I started doing a daily pinned post at the Everything DB Cooper Space at Quora. Author Brendan I. Koerner...I am a big fan and we are Facebook friends. (His book: The Skies Belong to Us - Love and Terror in the Golden Age of Hijacking) Well...Brendan did this wonderful series of short articles on 100 different hijackers, and we started posting them in order, one per day. I thought it would be fun to drop that on our followers there for the next few months. 

Other than all that, just the usual stuff. We work, we play out in the woods, we do the occasional Cooper thing. :) On a side note, even BEFORE Cooper pulled his little stunt, J Edgar Hoover was definitely getting pissed off about all the hijackings, and started making suggestions to the White House about how to stop them. Below is a now-unclassified letter he sent to the White House in 1970:

 

 

UnhappyHoover.jpg

Of course, there are minor errors in my notes on the letter. First, Hoover was dead by the time the Statute of Limitations came around on the Cooper hijacking. And it was actually just over ONE year prior to the hijacker when this letter went out, not two years. My bad, but it doesn't take away from the fact Hoover was getting seriously tired of the all hijackings. 

Re-posted just in case some of you haven't yet put whats-his-name on your Ignore list. One thing is for sure. Derek, by his actions (a petulant, spoiled-child attack on Dropzone using multiple identities), has completely lost all credibility in the world of D.B. Cooper. No one is listening to him anymore. And now no one ever will. 

And people said I was bad....(laughs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Message from a retired NWA stewardess named Pam, who worked at the airline before the Cooper hijacking and afterward. Thought Cooper fans might want to see it. Not because she sort-of considers KC as a good suspect, but because of her insights regarding the time around the hijacking from a former NWA stew. The content below is COPYRIGHTED, since it was sent to us exclusively and we have gained permission to use it in another venue. 

Quote

 

'Hello Robert,

I did read Into the Blast and found plenty of interesting facts about how you have researched this case.  It will be fun to see the movie when it comes out!

I’ve also watched DB Cooper: Case Closed a couple of times and found that interesting also, but the info they presented didn’t quite convince me.  Robert Rackstraw just didn’t quite seem to fit the bill of what we know about Kenny Christianson’s background and his life after the hijacking.  I did think that the evidence of the hiding place discovered in the attic of the house he lived in and the sudden improvement in his personal finances after the hijacking  was pretty compelling. 

The last time I spoke with Ralph Himmelsbach he said he thought that the hijacker was dead.  It seems like many people involved in the original investigation thought that there was just no way that anyone could have survived that jump, but the evidence we now have about the jump training many military personnel were given in those days shows that that simply  wasn’t true.  Plus the fact that it was soon done again by someone who did survive proves that.

There has also been talk about why wasn’t the hijacker identified by the flight crew if he was a NWA employee. Easy.  Flight crews on that schedule were almost always based in Minneapolis and very seldom flew on the Orient routs.  In the 5 years that I worked for NWA I only flew one Tokyo flight.  I knew very few of the Seattle based crew members. 

Having had to find work to help me get through the long layoffs that occurred at NWA, I can absolutely imagine why Kenny had a grudge against the airline. You probably know that in those days pursers (almost all male) were paid more than the stews (almost all women).  IN 1969 our union sued the pants off NWA for wage discrimination and won.  Mary (last name deleted by Robert B) inaugurated this suit and eventually married one of the lawyers that helped bring this suit to a successful conclusion, although it did take more than thirteen years.  My settlement check was about $24,000, a pretty tidy sum in those days!  Since Mary was Seattle based, I never met her until a few years ago.  She still lives in Seattle and became a good friend of my youngest daughter.   They met because at one time they lived in the same neighborhood..  Small world! I consider Mary a hero!! She was also involved in the earlier lawsuit that made it illegal for the airline to fire female flight attendants when they turned 32.

Hope I get to meet you some time.  It would be fun to chat!

Pam' (last name withheld by Robert)


*This material copyright 2019 by Adventure Books of Seattle and the original author.*

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
12 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

More Placard evidence..

I found a better image of the "placard",, also a pic of the 727 control panel Boeing decals.

The letters DO NOT not match the Boeing era font, note the "C" (more open), the "A" (sharp top) and the E (mid line length). The Placard has a different/newer font.

The font does not match Boeing 727 external decals either.

 

Conclusion,, based on this and the other facts it is extremely unlikely the "placard" came from NORJAK.

 

727airstairsplacard.jpeg

727_47.jpg

Okay. I'll buy it. Maybe a small issue or two, though. The instructions on the outside are much different in nature than a placard that would be found in the stairwell area. So if the placard did NOT come from the hijacked jet...and the instructions on the FOUND placard match those that would be found INSIDE the jet...then how did a placard meant for the INSIDE make its way to the OUTSIDE and fly away? 

I can understand if the instructions on the FOUND placard matched, or came close, to the picture you posted...which is obviously meant for the OUTSIDE of the aircraft. You could even understand how one would fall off in flight. Remember what the Boeing guy said:  "They even come off on the runway..." (paraphrased) He could not have meant an INSIDE placard because it is located inside the aircraft. 

This also begs the question that if the found placard is determined to be only a placard meant for inside mount...how many other 727s lowered the airstairs in flight along the flight path and possibly allowed a placard to fly away?

There is a bottom line here, too. If you establish a difference between stair instruction placards that were mounted either IN or on the OUTSIDE of a 727 with a 100% certain fact...and you determine the nature of each...and you discover that there IS a difference and there really were TWO different types...

And then figure the nature of the found placard as being only a kind that was meant for INTERIOR mounting....

The chances the placard came from the Cooper jet increase exponentially, since very few jets with airstairs ever dropped those stairs in flight.  In other words, it must be determined almost 100% whether or not the found placard came from the INSIDE or OUTSIDE of a 727.

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Saw at the DB Cooper Forum where Shutter had granted The Cooper Vortex its own thread. 

Wowie Zowie baby, that's so neat. I don't even care if you shave your legs. 
(From the Mothers of Invention. First album.)

And this is what the public, or any visitors to your site will see, when Darren posts up each podcast episode:

Quote

'You are not allowed to view pictures or links...'

I don't mean to pick on you Shutter, but it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good when you 'grant' someone a media-only thread...

And no one except a few active members of your forum can actually SEE the media being posted, follow the link, or download the content. Most of whom already know where the Vortex lives anyway. 

This is much like being gifted a free television...that doesn't get a picture. :/

If you are able to adjust your site parameters and permissions by thread, I strongly suggest you actually ALLOW visitors and the public to see and download the episodes. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

You try to stay away from all the negativity posted on this thread. when I check (shortcut) in on this thread Robert pops up and I click on his profile to go to the most recent page. it appears not to be part of the rules of Dropzone according to Mr. Blevins...not only is he upset about me. he haD to tell me about another member of this forum that according to Robert looked at his PUBLIC profile? the horror.  I was actually threatened to stay off his profile lol. 

 

Added: this coming from a guy who uses a proxy server to intrude where he was blocked for bad behavior. more hypocrisy....

 

Edited by mrshutter45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrshutter45 said:

You try to stay away from all the negativity posted on this thread. when I check (shortcut) in on this thread Robert pops up and I click on his profile to go to the most recent page. it appears not to be part of the rules of Dropzone according to Mr. Blevins...not only is he upset about me. he haD to tell me about another member of this forum that according to Robert looked at his PUBLIC profile? the horror.  I was actually threatened to stay off his profile lol. 

 

Added: this coming from a guy who uses a proxy server to intrude where he was blocked for bad behavior. more hypocrisy....

 

Don't be a drama queen. Nobody threatened you with anything. I said you should just go to the main forum instead of my profile. You've been vocal enough saying you don't want any messages, etc. So why the hell would you be dropping by my profile. So now you said why. Works for me. 

You planning on letting Darren's podcast links actually be SEEN by people, or does he get a thread that means little to nothing because the public simply finds a dead end where his latest podcast should be? He said he was honored you would do that for him, which was pretty nice of him. You give him a television without a picture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Message from a retired NWA stewardess named Pam, who worked at the airline before the Cooper hijacking and afterward. Thought Cooper fans might want to see it. Not because she sort-of considers KC as a good suspect, but because of her insights regarding the time around the hijacking from a former NWA stew. The content below is COPYRIGHTED, since it was sent to us exclusively and we have gained permission to use it in another venue. 

 

Cool. I hope you don't mind that I copied it and posted on another forum I'm part of. If you do mind, too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

You two are a couple of grouchy old ladies LOL. Perhaps you should come along on one of our Cooper Campouts and loosen up a bit. 

Shutter: I only pointed out that it does almost NO good to give Darren his own thread for his Vortex show...and then no one except a few people...who already know where the show is anyway...can even see the information or how to download each episode he posts. I mean, come on...that's pretty useless for him, isn't it? On the AB Forum, I can set permissions for each thread, not just a blanket one site-wide. It's standard SEO stuff, not brain surgery. No one is telling you how to 'run' your site here. It was a suggestion. 

Parrot:  I guess I could go look, but if you actually quoted anything positive that came from me, ANYTHING at all, including some email from a former NWA stew...I swear I would drop dead from shock. Help yourself. Copyright notice is there only because I am adding it to a chapter in my autobiography, Cooperland. I incorporated it into one of the later chapters. 

On a side note, the book is basically complete. But I'm not releasing it until there is an announcement one way or another (officially) on the upcoming film. This is because I have to know about this one way or another to finish the last couple of chapters. Then it's a wrap, as they say. If you REALLY want to rag on me...just check out the preview LOL. You think I'm bad NOW? Ha...I was a real hell raiser when I was a kid. I have few, if any regrets. It's been interesting, to say the least. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Was Cooper a laid-off Boeing guy? Could have been. My stepdad was a victim, one of maybe 70,000 or so who got the same pink slip. No worries...he doesn't even come close to the description. 

The *possible* Boeing angle in the KC story isn't KC, though. We know Bernie Geestman worked on the 727 program in-between his gigs with NWA. His last job was working with Foss Tugs as a diesel mechanic, though. He held that one until he retired. 

I would say that if you tag Cooper as possibly Boeing-connected, that due to the sheer number of layoffs, coupled with the fact that the population of Puget Sound was a lot less than it is now...yeah, it is very possible. 

Look...your suspect is just as good a candidate as many of the others. Maybe better than some, especially Walter Reca, who I call 'Wrong Way Cooper'. At least you have that story beat by miles. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've temporarily locked this thread.

Many of you guys have shown exactly why this thread was initially locked. This forum is a place for the discussion of the DB Cooper case, not the discussion of members who own Cooper websites. Back and forths between users on personal matters not directly relating to the case offers no insight for anyone.

I also want to use this time to remind you guys that there is an ignore feature which should be used. It can hide both posts and private messages from users whom you wish not to be bothered by.

ignored users.jpg

This thread will be reopened in 24 hours, with a much less liberal approach. Since you guys (as a whole) are unable to govern yourselves, you're forcing us to play adult and do it for you. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

My thanks to Meso for reopening the thread and I think everything he said was right. 

It's nearly 3AM here in Seattle, and I am supposed to pull out tomorrow around 9AM for our last Cooper Campout of the year, so I will make this brief. 

I would like to pay my respects to Ralph Himmelsbach, the first case agent from the FBI to be assigned to the case. He died at age 94 and the story on that is HERE.

I never met Ralph, but I always respected the guy. He was one of a kind, a real Straight John for sure. Unlike most other folks, he considered Cooper nothing more than a 'sleazy, rotten criminal' until the day he died. He wrote a book about the case, as most of you know, and agreed to media appearances for decades. I think...like many of us do...that he wanted to know who Cooper was right up until the day he died. You have to hand it to him for sticking around as long as he did in his efforts to find out the answer to that question. 

My sincerest sympathies go out to his family and friends on their loss. He leaves a big hole in Cooperland that cannot be filled. If I do any video this weekend up in the Olympics of Washington state, it will be about Ralph for sure. :( Picture attached is the only one I have of him...standing with assistant producer Pete Berg from the Decoded show. I wish I had a better one but it's all I've got. RIP Agent Himmelsbach. 

BergandHimmelsbach2.jpg

EDIT: I'm pretty bummed right now, but I have to hit the sack for tomorrow. I have decided to do a tribute video on him this weekend. Nothing self-serving, just a tribute. Nothing else on the Cooper case, just Ralph. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Cooper first indicted Mexico,, (non stop US)

but during negotiation crew suggested San Francisco

hijacker suggested Phoenix

then the crew suggested Yuma or Reno.. (Eric Ulis will have to delete that part of his book claiming Cooper had connections to Yuma)

 

Cooper chose Reno...

 

This is crucial,, Cooper did not plan Reno or landing in US, he did not suggest Yuma.

His initial plan was changed and that may have altered his planned jump..

cooperphoenix.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

18 18