4 4
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)

Last-minute preparations were completed today for the upcoming Cooper Campout, the fourth such event we've done here at AB of Seattle. It's hard to explain to people what this involves unless you have attended one of these things. Many totes full of gear, all of which have to be checked against a master list to ensure we don't forget anything. Truck is always packed to the gills, even behind the seats and around the passenger seat. Then...people from all over the place show up at some prearranged location and we caravan to the actual site. Until this current trip, we would just provide maps to the actual site and set up the day prior, but this time we're using a guide and going together. 

A stop at Costco today was mandatory, as usual. One of the things I asked everyone to bring was at least ten gallons of water. Not for drinking, but to help fill the flush toilet and provide water for showers. That's the one thing I can't bring for everybody, since only one time did we ever camp close to a water source. Most of the time we're up pretty high, and the creeks seldom flow up there.  

Another consideration, especially the last two campouts we hosted, was to ensure cell service was available. The last two trips we got lucky on the signal, this time I am not so sure. However, there IS a cell tower ten miles as the crow flies directly WEST of the camp site areas...so I think chances are good above 2,000 feet for signal. (Cell towers are usually good for a 25-mile range, line-of-sight.) Tom from Infamous Nissan, the support forum for Nissan owners, is our guide since he has been up in this area around Mt. Hood many times before. He was the one who selected one of three possible spots and sent us the information via Google Maps. They are all located on dead-end spurs off the same Forest Service road, and we will be passing them one at a time. The first one where the smart phones work...WINS. 

If you follow this thread at DZ, then you already know further apps to attend were closed a few days ago. We have not quite reached capacity (14 people, Forest Service rules on group camps) but decided we had to leave a couple of open slots in case any wild card campers happen to show up at the mini mart in Estacada on Friday morning. Due to negative comments at Bruce Smith's Mountain News regarding this trip...some of them *slightly* threatening, it is UNLIKELY we will approve any last-second come-alongs who didn't bother to contact us first. Not impossible, but unlikely. If we determine they are junkies, tramps, thieves, or troublemakers...they won't be allowed to follow us out there. Tom and I will make a quick stop at the mini mart, which was the original rally point. (since changed) If they seem like sincere and 'normal' folks then we will see. 

Truth is, I doubt we will have anyone show up unannounced at the mini mart. Would YOU pack up camping gear and show up at some little town, at a mini mart, at five AM in the morning based on some internet postings? I don't think I would. :|

Picture below of Adventure Books' latest Official Office Cat. Her name is 'Coco'. She actually packed up a bag to attend, and then I had to break the bad news to her she couldn't go. Brother, was SHE pissed. 

And if you believe that, then you'll believe that these Cooper Campouts will continue to be held in Oregon. It IS true that she is our latest Office Cat, though. 

After THIS one, we go back to the Olympics. I like Oregon, but it is just too far to haul the gear necessary for these events. This is a one-time-only deal...and I was talked into it by a few people at Infamous Nissan and of course...folks who live in Oregon.

Figures. We will do a Cooper-related video up there over the weekend. Should be fun. This will be my last post at Dropzone until we return. My best wishes to the nice folks, and everyone else can well...you know. 

CocoEighteleven3.jpg

ANSWER:  Because you are under 21 years of age, Coco. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I remember seeing something on tv once where this guy claimed he was at a party a day or two before the money find and someone at the party told him that the money find was going to happen. The guy said he didn't think much of it until he saw it on the news a couple days later. Any one else remember that, or give it any credence?

(edited)
8 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

I remember seeing something on tv once where this guy claimed he was at a party a day or two before the money find and someone at the party told him that the money find was going to happen. The guy said he didn't think much of it until he saw it on the news a couple days later. Any one else remember that, or give it any credence?

I think that's a Robert Rackstraw story. Sounds like one of the Tom Colbert claims I think. I have heard it before somewhere. 

(Figured I had time for another post or two because I don't actually leave for Oregon until tomorrow evening)

On a side note, I don't know if any of you have been over to the comments section at Bruce Smith's Mountain News lately, but it's getting pretty ugly over there. They've resorted to calling Gayla Prociv and I names again...calling us toilet scrubbers, other really nasty stuff. Small threats regarding the upcoming Cooper Campout. Even suggesting people should come to my house and confront her while I am gone to Oregon. Some of these folks are regulars at the supposed 'biggest site on DB Cooper,' aka Shutter's Place. 

I will only say this. Not only are these folks trashing Bruce's website, but they come off really silly doing that. Bruce, as some of you know, is gone to New York to visit his mother until this weekend. He usually has little or no internet access when he does that. And the same people who make these posts are supposed to be his friends, and recognized voices in the Cooper case. Frankly, they deserve neither title. 

Eric Ulis has been working around these comments and trying to post up his daily videos, but when his posts are followed up by junk like that, he probably wonders why he bothers. Today, I began a conversation with him and invited him to apply for Contributor status instead to our Quora Space on Cooper. That way, every time he posts up a video...it will be sent out to almost 800 people in its entirety via email...all people who are willing customers, and who often share what they see to THEIR Quora followers. It's a snowball thing, I told him. His video views will go through the roof and he won't have to be associated with the kiddies currently inhabiting Bruce's website. These followers at the Cooper Space at Quora signed up to get the feeds, which makes them a good base to approach with new items on the Cooper case. You could call them 'willing'. I was INVITED to create that Space on the Cooper case by senior Quora staff, so I did. It's been a big hit ever since. In fact, I can say with confidence that the Cooper Space can reach more people, more quickly, and at the same time...than any other internet source on the Cooper case right now.

Even Dropzone...although Dropzone is the most established internet source generally, and the most well-known. The main difference between this thread and the Cooper Space is that the Space only posts new content occasionally. We don't overload people. Dropzone gets the daily discussions and the casual public traffic. The Cooper Space operates in bursts, more or less. 

The nasty comments don't bother me personally, but when people start suggesting that OTHERS try accosting Gayla at my door just because I am hosting a Cooper event out of state, this is foolish advice. Yes, I saw that. Not because of me, or Gayla, or any of that. But because we are back in the corner of the townhouse property and the neighbors are highly pissed off over some car break-ins lately. The guy across from us, a very BIG guy with a nice family, caught the last guy who tried that. He picked him up bodily and threw him over a fence. The people who live in my neighborhood are not the sort you want to mess with. There has been a problem with homeless folks and break ins lately...and people are on the lookout for any strangers, or cars not belonging to residents. It's only a four-plex folks...and everyone knows EVERYONE. I welcome visitors, but they need to have manners and contact us first. Then I don't have a problem.  We might even offer you dinner. 

I also know why the same folks who post these things at Mountain News read this thread, but don't post here. They know they have to be reasonable, and they can't do it. They are also jealous that this thread at Dropzone was reopened. Well, too bad. Gee...a place where you can discuss the case, and yes...sometimes criticize...but you can't go the Attack Dog route on people, and no one is excluded from the discussion. Sounds like a good idea to me. 

What is going on now is that both Bruce's site and the DB Cooper Forum hosted by Shutter are losing traffic, and posts are fewer,  as a result of these people who just can't stop the name-calling and the veiled threats. I think even Eric Ulis is tired of it, but you would have to ask him. 

Grow up, guys. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
33 minutes ago, EJU said:

Daily DB Cooper Bite. I discuss the name "Dan Cooper."

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DBCooperChannel

Let's try an experiment. I will post this video to the Quora Space on Cooper and see what happens. I'm up early this morning, mucho packing to do. I will be curious to see how many views it has by next Monday when I return from Oregon. Upvoted at YouTube. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 3:23 AM, EJU said:

Daily DB Cooper Bite. I discuss the name "Dan Cooper."

Name..

Most rational people would deduce that Cooper using a shortened version of his real name would virtually eliminate him as a suspect,, Would Cooper use a version of his real name.. doesn't fit his profile, meticulous, serious?? Didn't want to leave ANY clues behind.. He wouldn't have used his own abbreviated name.. Dan.

Comic..

The Dan Cooper comics were published in about 16 languages but not in english. They included French, German, Korean, Arabic, Spanish and a Mexican Spanish version.. since Cooper was described as Latin/Swarthy/Mexican the Mexican/Spanish version would be a more likely source of exposure (if any) rather than the French Canadian theory. 

The Dan Cooper comics were not childish, they were extremely technical and even political. Many non-English military aviators read them..

After studying these Comics extensively, it is likely a coincidence or Cooper may have had some exposure to the Mexican Spanish version.

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

L55376548B was the bill on the top one of the of the packets the Ingrams had that Ralph Himmelsbach Id'd as matching the FBI list.

This top bill is NOT blackened, if the FBI did use Silver Nitrate to fingerprint bills they would have fingerprinted this bill, the top one, they didn't. There was no record of SN being used and this bill would have been the primary target for fingerprinting.

404784788_g01Billfront.jpg.b478874083e50ad8b948252e33f3f099.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

(edited)

We have returned from the trip to Mt. Hood. There were no problems and gear checked out great. Long trip, and I'm tired for sure. 

Update: After posting Elis' video about how Cooper got his name over at the Quora DB Cooper Space, I see 70 direct views at Quora and about the same number at YouTube. (These are not related) I do not know how many of the people who were sent the video directly from Quora actually watched the video via their email feed, but then I NEVER know that because I don't have access to that information. The only thing I can say for sure is that the video received more views via Quora than it actually did directly at YouTube. Not record-breaking numbers, but Elis' is an unknown to most of the current followers of the Everything DB Cooper Space, so that is expected. Right now, the number of people who receive the email feed stands at 770. The space on Cooper was opened last November on invitation from Quora staff. 

(The video was removed today from Quora. In order for future videos to appear, Eric Ulis would have to request contributor status, and link them to the Space on his own.)

My thanks to Eric for allowing me to temporarily post the video to Quora. Or at least not objecting...

Update:  After seeing a number of REALLY nasty comments regarding yours truly and Gayla Prociv over at Bruce Smith's Mountain News blog, I have deleted the shortcut on my desktop to his website. I have visited that place for the last time. B| There is no real monitoring going on over there at present, and IMHO no longer has any credibility. The place has simply gone nuts, and has become a dumping ground for hatred by a small group of people. A few others, like Eric Ulis, keep trying to post legitimately there but their efforts are often overshadowed by the haters. The lack of monitoring of comments over there is (also just my opinion) giving Bruce a bad reputation. On the one hand, he keeps publishing new articles on the Cooper case. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to care how crazy his readers get in comments.

When I have tried to respond to some of these things, my comments are disallowed, which indicates he definitely supports hatred on his news blog. I would gently remind Bruce that credibility is an important issue with investigations, articles, or interactions with the media on the Cooper case. Allowing public comments of hatred on your own blog, while purposefully disallowing any defense against those comments, damages your credibility and shows you have a negative agenda. 

In happier news, I will do a report for WordPress in the coming week regarding the recent Cooper Campout to the Mt. Hood area. I was considering an article concerning Bruce's current problems with the hate-based comments he just can't seem to control, but sometimes it's better to simply let people figure things out for themselves. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

On 6/23/2019 at 10:42 AM, FLYJACK said:

L55376548B was the bill on the top one of the of the packets the Ingrams had that Ralph Himmelsbach Id'd as matching the FBI list.

This top bill is NOT blackened, if the FBI did use Silver Nitrate to fingerprint bills they would have fingerprinted this bill, the top one, they didn't. There was no record of SN being used and this bill would have been the primary target for fingerprinting.

404784788_g01Billfront.jpg.b478874083e50ad8b948252e33f3f099.jpg

Found something interesting…

The FBI files show that Cooper used two matchbooks.. One his and one supplied by Tina. Tosaw’s book distinguishes further. According to Tina the matchbook Cooper had said “Earn a High School Diploma” and Tina went to grab company matches from a cabinet.. Cooper recovered and took the first empty matchbook. Sky Chef supplied catering for flights..

That “suggests” the Sky Chef matches did not come from Cooper at all but were grabbed by Tina on the plane.

I found these vintage matchbooks,,  from ICS in Scranton PA.

s-l1600.jpg.96faa55ce67280179c57997a399a6d36.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg.e66e5819a719309c03593757bd0ef36b.jpg

Also from Tosaw’s book.. 

Cooper had 2 drinks.

Money in packets of $2000 strapped in PAPER BANDS and some had additional rubber bands, corroborates Tina, H and Bank letter to FBI..

Cooper offered 2 packets of money to stews, other than Tina.

Cooper demanded flaps down but flight ops was calculating range and they went back and asked Cooper, he then said 15 degrees. 

Soderlind suggested SF or LA, and a second stop in Yuma.. and “Cooper was advised that it wasn’t necessary for the plane to stop anywhere in the US, but in any event he did not want to stop at either SF or LA because those cities were too big.” Reno was suggested by Soderlind and Cooper agreed.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, EJU said:

Daily DB Cooper Bite. I discuss Bachelor Island and the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge.

Complete bunk…

The FBI walked back the Cowlitz Sheriff claims to say they could NOT confirm the Placard was from Norjak. Evidence suggests it is unlikely.

The wind was NOT a fact, according to FBI docs it was an estimate based from Portland and Salem averaged over an hour. Wind data closer to the area and jump zone have winds from the SSE to S.

Robert Nicholson’s placard drift calculations are wrong. 

The flight path is backed up by the AF, F106 Pilots, Boeing, NWA and ATC….

The TBAR money being found on TBAR doesn’t mean Cooper landed nearby and buried it there, that is poor logic.

Eric’s confirmation bias has ignored and distorted facts to push his extremely speculative theory. The premise for a western flightpath is about as weak as you can get.

Edited by FLYJACK

5 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Complete bunk…

The FBI walked back the Cowlitz Sheriff claims to say they could NOT confirm the Placard was from Norjak. Evidence suggests it is unlikely.

The wind was NOT a fact, according to FBI docs it was an estimate based from Portland and Salem averaged over an hour. Wind data closer to the area and jump zone have winds from the SSE to S.

Robert Nicholson’s placard drift calculations are wrong. 

The flight path is backed up by the AF, F106 Pilots, Boeing, NWA and ATC….

The TBAR money being found on TBAR doesn’t mean Cooper landed nearby and buried it there, that is poor logic.

Eric’s confirmation bias has ignored and distorted facts to push his extremely speculative theory. The premise for a western flightpath is about as weak as you can get.

Fly Jack.  I agree.  How could so many different people be wrong about where the plane was?  

I was looking at your picture of the $20 bill.  What are the little holes in the bill and how did the edges end up looking like they are cut or chewed?  That bill does not look like it was buried for 10 years or had been wet.  Are there bugs that live in sand that would do that or fish?

1 hour ago, JJG78 said:

Fly Jack.  I agree.  How could so many different people be wrong about where the plane was?  

I was looking at your picture of the $20 bill.  What are the little holes in the bill and how did the edges end up looking like they are cut or chewed?  That bill does not look like it was buried for 10 years or had been wet.  Are there bugs that live in sand that would do that or fish?

It looks like termite damage. I am looking into the few species of termites in the PNW.. there are two types,, dampwood termite and subterranean termite.

(edited)

Subterranean termites do like infesting homes, but sometimes live along riverbanks and lakes in the PNW and housing themselves in fallen logs, or washed-up-on-shore trees and logs. 

Over 200 miles each way hauling mass gear for the recent Cooper Campout to the Mt Hood area in Oregon...tough indeed. Unlike the previous campouts, we didn't max out at 14 people attending, but we did get FOUR who showed besides Tom and I from Infamous Nissan. Mostly this was because previous folks who have attended didn't want to drive all that way down from Washington. Can't say I blame them. However, my sincere thanks to Caryn, Dale, Mike, Andrew, and 'Tom E' from Infamous Nissan. 

The next Cooper Campout is scheduled for August 9-12 and we're moving it back to the Olympics in Washington state. Several of our regulars have said they are going. 

Report on the Oregon trip is HERE at WordPress

mainsitemap.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marty Andrade and I wrote the book "Finding DB Cooper; Chasing the Last Lead" and I'm doing an AMA on my webpage. I believe Cooper survived the jump, that Max Gunther's book "DB Cooper: What Really Happened" gives us a partial account of the real story of DB Cooper, and that the Tina Bar money came up with the dredge. I know I'm new here but I've been on other forums for years. Thanks for reading.

7 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marty Andrade and I wrote the book "Finding DB Cooper; Chasing the Last Lead" and I'm doing an AMA on my webpage. I believe Cooper survived the jump, that Max Gunther's book "DB Cooper: What Really Happened" gives us a partial account of the real story of DB Cooper, and that the Tina Bar money came up with the dredge. I know I'm new here but I've been on other forums for years. Thanks for reading.

Welcome! Bring more people with you so we can hear about more topics.  

I asked a while ago on this page about the dredge.  Do you know where the dredge started?  I hear a lot that the money was deposited on the sand bar.  But where did it come from if it was dredged?

(edited)

'Welcome! Bring more people with you so we can hear about more topics...'

'They' know where we are. They simply choose to hang out elsewhere. However, if they DID show up, they would be welcome.   

'I asked a while ago on this page about the dredge.  Do you know where the dredge started?  I hear a lot that the money was deposited on the sand bar.  But where did it come from if it was dredged?'

Now that is a question that turns into an Excedrin headache. How the heck did almost $6,000 of the ransom money end up at least six miles west of the flight path, with no reasonable water travel route from that path? The origin of the Tina Bar money has been an endless topic of discussion among Cooper fans. There are many theories, even the ridiculous idea of moving the flight path to suit the location. 

My personal theory is that the money was a red herring, somehow planted or tossed into the Columbia not far from where it was found. And that either by natural means or dredging, ended up at the beach at Tina Bar. The reason for doing a 'red herring' by Cooper seems obvious to me, but perhaps not by others. I believe it was done after November 24, 1976. This is the day that the Statute of Limitations was supposed to run out on the Cooper caper. But a couple of FBI agents out of Portland managed to convince a Federal judge to issue a 'John Doe' warrant restricted solely to the hijacker himself. They obtained the warrant almost at the last minute. 

This event was broadcast heavily on Northwest TV news when it happened. It must have been a crushing blow to Cooper, if he were actually alive to hear it. Instead of being free and clear, the FBI could simply renew that warrant when necessary and continue to hunt him as long as they wished. This action *could* have convinced Cooper to do something, anything, to try and fool the FBI into thinking he was dead, and in a way, it worked. After the discovery of the Tina Bar money, the FBI started saying they thought Cooper WAS dead...and they began to scale back their active search for him. 

CooperDog.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins