47 47
quade

DB Cooper

On page 5-21 there is info on flare visibility.

http://www.public.navy.mil/...ents/3-50-1_Vol1.pdf

the link is bad on this side?
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

A different kind of rescue beacon called a SOFAR bomb. Found out about it in the Search and Rescue manual. Only useful in deep oceans, but very clever.

Dr. Maurice Ewing, a pioneer of oceanography and geophysics, first suggested putting small hollow metal spheres in pilots' emergency kits during World War II. The spheres would implode when they sank to the sofar channel, acting as a secret homing beacon to be received by microphones on coastlines that could pinpoint downed pilots’ positions.[3] This technology turned out to be extremely useful for the naval conflicts during WWII by providing a way for ships to accurately report their position without use of radio, or to find crashed planes and ships. During the war, the primary model of sofar bomb used by the United States was the Mk-22.[citation needed] It worked exceptionally well, and had an adjustable fuse length for different depth detonations. The bomb was used with a chart that detailed the depth of the deep sound channel, so that the 4 pounds (1.8 kg) of TNT would explode at the correct time for its location (as the deep sound channel's actual depth varies with areas of the ocean). Its main safety mechanism was the fact that the detonator could not begin to go off without a water pressure that corresponded to at least 750 feet (230 m).

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

'Blevins, was the unnamed "skinny blonde" you referred to at Ariel Marla Cooper?'

No, not Marla. She's easily recognizable. Someone else. Younger than Marla, and kind of freaky. She was really animated.

And you didn't even inquire about her book and who she was???

Freaky skinny blonde who is into DB Cooper? Bruce, did you also ignore her?

What? A cutie got away????

I was all Christie, all the time...

Smoked jumpers communicated from ground to plane and visa-versa in the 60's so HOW did they do this?

Small plane communicate with the ground on search and rescue before there before the new age of electronics. HOW?

Boats as sea communicated with planes - perhaps only a signal, but it was there in the 60's and 70's. How as this done?

I do NOT know what kind of system Duane had but we did receive a plane communication between Cheyenne and Little Rock Wym. I do not know if Duane's communication was received by them as they were going in the opposite direction.
We were going West and they were going East. The range was short, but it did happen!

Logic - the smokejumpers on the ground had to communicate with the planes and visa-versa - how was this accomplished?
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Smoked jumpers communicated from ground to plane and visa-versa in the 60's so HOW did they do this?

Small plane communicate with the ground on search and rescue before there before the new age of electronics. HOW?

Boats as sea communicated with planes - perhaps only a signal, but it was there in the 60's and 70's. How as this done?

I do NOT know what kind of system Duane had but we did receive a plane communication between Cheyenne and Little Rock Wym. I do not know if Duane's communication was received by them as they were going in the opposite direction.
We were going West and they were going East. The range was short, but it did happen!

Logic - the smokejumpers on the ground had to communicate with the planes and visa-versa - how was this accomplished?

You're missing the point. A/C to Ground commo, via man portable or vehicle born radios, was the norm in 1971 and earlier, and easy even still today. But this was NOT done by a standard CB radio, which is the posters point.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

You're missing the point. A/C to Ground commo, via man portable or vehicle born radios, was the norm in 1971 and earlier, and easy even still today. But this was NOT done by a standard CB radio, which is the posters point.

Matt

I do remember something some one said to me about Duane's system. A man who had worked on his CB - What you said above is why I remembered what the man said.

The man told me he did NOT understand WHY Duane had the system he had - but DUMB OLD ME didn't know what Duane had was any different than any other CB - to me a CB was a CB.

What kind of system could Duane have had - and WHY did he carry an extra car size battery in the trunk? He told me this and something you guys just ignore - If we were stranded in a snow storm that we would be able to communicate with the planes...

What kind of system would he have needed to do this? AND still communicate with the truckers.
The guys said something about the range of the equipment, but I didn't pay any attentions this was before I had any reason to have any knowledge of such things.

I have also said in the past that Duane knew were very small airport was in WA and OR -why?

So if what you said in your post is true - WHY has the thread spent all of this time BASHING me? Basically calling me a liar and that it did NOT happen!
We flew in and out of this or that and there is another airport over that way - I don't think he missed pointing out one small field that we passed even though you could not see it from the road and there were NO signs.

Matt

I do remember something some one said to me about Duane's system. A man who had worked on his CB - What you said above is why I remembered what the man said.

The man told me he did NOT understand WHY Duane had the system he had - but DUMB OLD ME didn't know what Duane had was any different than any other CB - to me a CB was a CB.

What kind of system could Duane have had - and WHY did he carry an extra car size battery in the trunk? He told me this and something you guys just ignore - If we were stranded in a snow storm that we would be able to communicate with the planes...

What kind of system would he have needed to do this?

Jo, 377 and Matt, plus others, have explained that no CB radio is going to be of any use in contacting airplanes.

What kind of radio system did Duane have? Did he have it connected to the car battery in the trunk? If it was, it is very unlikely that it was a CB radio. Or at least it wouldn't be after that battery fried its components.

To repeat 377s previous statement, I have never heard of a CB radio being installed in an airplane and it would be very expensive to do so.

When they became available after WW2, smoke jumpers may have been equipped with military surplus walkie talkie type equipment. But I would think other types of radios would be more suitable for that function.

But your idea that Duane gave a call to an airplane on an Air Traffic Control frequency is not very likely either. How did he know the frequency they were on? And remember that general aviation and commerical aircraft do NOT normally moniter 121.5 on the VHF band and probably doesn't have 243.0, which is a military frequency, on the UHF band.

If you were stranded in a snow storm, in the time frame we are considering, your best bet for communications would be a CB radio, if you are really out in the brush, or a car telephone if you are closer to civilization.

I understand that there is an emergency channel on CB radios that is usually monitered by the local State Highway Patrol. This would be your best bet for assistance.

Of course, the ideal solution is not to get yourself stranded in a snow storm. Weather forecasts have been widely available for quite a few decades.

Robert99

Matt

What kind of system would he have needed to do this?

Jo, 377 and Matt, plus others, have explained that no CB radio is going to be of any use in contacting airplanes.

What kind of radio system did Duane have? Did he have it connected to the car battery in the trunk? If it was, it is very unlikely that it was a CB radio. Or at least it wouldn't be after that battery fried its components.

To repeat 377s previous statement, I have never heard of a CB radio being installed in an airplane and it would be very expensive to do so.

When they became available after WW2, smoke jumpers may have been equipped with military surplus walkie talkie type equipment. But I would think other types of radios would be more suitable for that function.

But your idea that Duane gave a call to an airplane on an Air Traffic Control frequency is not very likely either. How did he know the frequency they were on? And remember that general aviation and commerical aircraft do NOT normally moniter 121.5 on the VHF band and probably doesn't have 243.0, which is a military frequency, on the UHF band.

If you were stranded in a snow storm, in the time frame we are considering, your best bet for communications would be a CB radio, if you are really out in the brush, or a car telephone if you are closer to civilization.

I understand that there is an emergency channel on CB radios that is usually monitered by the local State Highway Patrol. This would be your best bet for assistance.

Of course, the ideal solution is not to get yourself stranded in a snow storm. Weather forecasts have been widely available for quite a few decades.

Robert99

And lets not forget the flaw in that statement, for that time period,if it is a snowstorm, the A/C isn't out flying any way.

Not ones that would be doing S&R.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Jo, 377 and Matt, plus others, CB

Perhaps Duane used a quasar to time and locate.
:o

We used to keep track of how 'ideas' migrated to
one poster then would surface later in fullborn
assertaination of a claim ... :D

chided 377 to STFU about CB's, then CB's took hold
too!

like following the track of a purse snatcher in snow ...

the apple doesnt fall from the tree -

QUASARS! a ripple in the maldum fornax anyone can tap into ...

:o

:ph34r:

Jo, the extra battery in the trunk would be just a extra battery, if he needed more power in the car, he would have a bigger alternator, your battery only starts the car and then charges while the alternator takes over.

like Matt said, why in the world would a plane be flying in a snowstorm?
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Jo, the extra battery in the trunk would be just a extra battery, if he needed more power in the car, he would have a bigger alternator, your battery only starts the car and then charges while the alternator takes over.

oo oo teacher I have an answer oo oo

The better to conceal of course.
Duane was an expert snow pilot.
Had the third eye of ....
why ARIEL of course ... the lioness of Elohiym

from the Book of Solomon which Duane used to read!

Jo wrote

Jo,

In the 60s and 70s boats didn't carry any radios that could communicate with aircraft on the VHF AM band that airplanes use to talk to ATC and to each other. USCG rescue aircraft and some USAF rescue aircraft carried radios that could operate on marine HF AM (later SSB) and on VHF FM marine bands. Some USCG aircraft even carried radios that could communicate with ships on low frequencies (500 KHz and below) using CW Morse Code. So ordinary boat to ordinary plane radio communication wasn't possible. Some seiners had aviation band radios to talk with fish spotter planes and helos, but this was a special case and not common.

I assisted a few times with sea rescues by handling comms with en route rescue aircraft on HF and relaying to the boat in distress that didn't have this radio gear. Frequencies I recall using were 2182 KHz, 11179 KHz, and 8291 KHz.

There is no way you could have known for sure that what you heard on Duane's CB came from a plane just from the subject matter content. I've heard CBers pull all sorts of impersonations and tricks. It might have been some joker pretending he was a pilot. Trust me Jo, there was no CB radio that could also communicate on the VHF aircraft band, not then, not now. No "CB man" could make a modification that would give a CB this capability.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Jo wrote

Jo,

In the 60s and 70s boats didn't carry any radios that could communicate with aircraft on the VHF AM band that airplanes use to talk to ATC and to each other. USCG rescue aircraft and some USAF rescue aircraft carried radios that could operate on marine HF AM (later SSB) and on VHF FM marine bands. Some USCG aircraft even carried radios that could communicate with ships on low frequencies (500 KHz and below) using CW Morse Code. So ordinary boat to ordinary plane radio communication wasn't possible. Some seiners had aviation band radios to talk with fish spotter planes and helos, but this was a special case and not common.

I assisted a few times with sea rescues by handling comms with en route rescue aircraft on HF and relaying to the boat in distress that didn't have this radio gear. Frequencies I recall using were 2182 KHz, 11179 KHz, and 8291 KHz.

There is no way you could have known for sure that what you heard on Duane's CB came from a plane just from the subject matter content. I've heard CBers pull all sorts of impersonations and tricks. It might have been some joker pretending he was a pilot. Trust me Jo, there was no CB radio that could also communicate on the VHF aircraft band, not then, not now. No "CB man" could make a modification that would give a CB this capability.

Jo,

Finally, let me point out that if Amelia Earhart had bothered to personally attend the Navy/Coast Guard coordination meeting on her around the world flight, instead of sending her husband who didn't have any radio or aircraft operational experience, then she probably wouldn't be wherever it is that she is located today.

Amelia didn't know how to do a DF steer procedure, asked the Coast Guard at Howland Island to transmit on a frequency which she should have known they didn't have, didn't pass any particularly useful information in her transmissions that would pinpoint her location, etc.. All of this that requires teaching could have been taught to her in less than 15 minutes.

A few minutes of planning ahead and Amelia would probably have made it to Howland and probably was reasonably close when she ran out of gas. But reasonably close is not good enough in this regard.

Robert99

I never SAID A PLANE WAS FLYING IN A SNOW STORM! That was a nice clear cold day - but not snowing.

We traveled the state of WYM to sell insurance. We often spent days in Gillett and Jasper. The road to Cheyenne is very long and barren (at least it was in 1978).

When you invest in motel rooms and there are two of you - one on the phone booking the appts and the other running the appts.
You set an appt and you do your damnest to keep it. If there was bad weather predicted you headed home.

The trip the CB received the message from a plane was NOT to Gillett or Jasper. We were on our way WEST from Cheyenne to Rock Springs.

:(
I DID NOT state that the CB was connected to that big battery. I understood it to be a back up encase we got stranded which we did twice - once in a white-out trying to get to Cheyenne from Rock Springs, but because of the GOOD CD the last truck allowed to get thru was to pick us up - but the guy and Duane managed to get us out and we followed him into Cheyenne. Last vehicle through!

The story about the Battery comes from MY asking him what it was for - and what I told you is what he told me. It was encase we got stranded in a snow storm.
I did not question much of any thing he said.....

If you do NOT live in WYM then you do NOT know these storms back in the 60's and 70's could come in fast and hard. We made a hazardous trip from Gillette, Wy to Ft. Collins Co in a lot of snow - because we had to get back and Duane was NOT afraid of anything. We had chains and a snow shovel in the trunk and that damn battery you guys are telling me didn't make any sense....well, it was there...
Perhaps the battery was a pacifier so I wouldn't be so afraid...

There were people back then being air lifted out and the planes found them by flying over the snow packed road looking for stranded cars (AFTER THE STORM IS OVER). When road equipment could not reach them due to the extent of the snow and distance from populated areas - they sent copters to air lift them out if it appeared it would take too long to get road crews to them or not accessible.

If they were not found and if their car battery ran down - they ended up with frost bite and some dead because of the cold and some because they ran their engines without digging the snow from around the exhaust.

Somewhere I have pictures of roads we traveled after a storm with cars still on the sides or in coverts off the road with little showing except for the very top of the cars..

I do not know how to explain why we took so many risks - but I never questioned his abilities to pull us through (except that one time and I think he was even worried).

You are trying to be Farflung lately. Doesn't suit you. There is only ONE Farflung. Going this route with nearly all your postings is making you come off sort of bitter. That was unsolicited advice.

"If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere..."

Marilyn Monroe

Ok Marilyn. The post wasnt to you or directed at you!

PICK ON SOMEONE ELSE FOR A CHANGE MR VENOM..

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS FOR A CHANGE.

I see either you or Jo fucked up the page again -

Please tell us when we may post on your forum
again - Mr. Nice.

PLEASE USE A CONDUM ON YOUR NEXT ATTACK!

I did NOT say a plane was flying in a snow storm - two different stories about the same road between these two cities - Cheyenne and Rock Springs.

THe weather was cold and crisp - no snow or storm in the area the day the plane passed over head and the transmission was picked up on the CB.

There was another trip when we got caught in a storm between these to towns.

Jo wrote

The trip the CB received the message from a plane was NOT to Gillett or Jasper. We were on our way WEST from Cheyenne to Rock Springs.

Jo,

Seriously, how do you KNOW the message you and Duane heard on the car CB came from an airplane?

Tell me how you are certain about your conclusion.

Are you willing to consider the possibility that it did not come from an airplane? If not why not?

Just to have a complete record, in the 70s many LARGE long range aircraft that did transoceanic flying had HF SSB radios capable of operating on CB frequencies in AM (actually AME, which is compatible with AM). The Collins 618T was such a radio and was common on long range airliners flying across ocean routes. The military also used them. They were far too big for light aircraft and had power requirements that no little Cessna or Piper could provide.

http://web.tiscalinet.it/milradio73/radio_618T.html

I've never heard one operate on CB, but it could.

Famous air racer Lloyd Hamilton (deceased) had friends in the Bodega Bay commercial fishing fleet. When he was flying 707s for Pan Am he'd sometimes call on a marine HF frequency inbound to SFO near the CA coast. It was informal, no callsigns, just first names and a very brief chat with his fishermen friends. As I recall it was on 2638 KHz.

Neither a 618T HF set or any CB could operate on normal aviation VHF frequencies.

here is some reason I get confused with you Jo.

Jo says: "WHY did he carry an extra car size battery in the trunk?" here you are asking why.

Jo say: "I DID NOT state that the CB was connected to that big battery. I understood it to be a
back up encase we got stranded" here you are explaining why.

Jo goes on to say: "He knew how to make a car CD communicate with small aircraft." here you explain first hand. (CB not CD)

Jo again: "What kind of system would he have needed to do this? AND still communicate with the truckers" here you ask as if you have no idea.

you are all over the board about subjects???????

one possible scenario that could have happened "bleed over"

ARRL reported last summer about an Alaska CB hobbyist whose base station had been interfering with aircraft communications over the North Atlantic (!), raising the ire of air traffic controllers and pilots alike. The FCC used directional signal-finding equipment to pinpoint the location from which the transmissions were broadcasted and confronted the operator. They found him to have a radio unauthorized for use on the Citizens’ Band hooked into a 200-watt linear amplifier capable of boosting the radio’s output signal.

By law, an FCC-certified CB radio can only have a maximum output of up to 4 watts. A malfunction in the Alaska operator’s setup had reportedly caused his radio, which the operator said he had been operating on Channel 6, to bleed over into an air traffic control frequency. (Channel 6 is located at 27.025 MHz while the air traffic control channel was located at 21.964 MHz.)

now, this was with 200 watts and it was the CB bleeding over, not sure if the reverse would happen?

21.964 is an HF aviation freq. HF is used when aircraft are beyond VHF range, typically on trans oceanic flights. What you hear on these HF freqs are mostly periodic position and status reports as an airplane progresses across an ocean. HF is not normally used by domestic flights and most airliners used on domestic flights don't even carry HF radios.

As an aside, back when the forum was debating whether Coopers 727 carried radio teletype (RTTY) gear, I contacted a retired NWA 727 captain who flew in 71. He said none of the NWA 727s had RTTY gear and medium range NWA aircraft that were used exclusively on domestic routes didn't carry HF radios. In 71 727s were not used on long range trans ocean flights by any US carriers.

Also, HF aviation radios use SSB modulation (USB). If you receive SSB on a CB receiver set up for AM reception what you hear is unintelligible. HF radios used to operate on AM but FCC, FAA and ITU regs mandated a change to SSB, sometime in the mid 60s as I recall.

In summary, I believe that what Jo thought was an aircraft transmission coming through Duanes CB was not coming from an airplane. CBers spoof and impersonate all the time. A guy driving an old VW will tell others that he is a trucker driving an 18 wheeler. Maybe some CBer thought it would be fun to pretend he was a pilot talking from the cockpit.

I've asked Jo to tell me what evidence she relied on for her conclusion that the communication she heard actually originated from an aircraft. She hasn't yet replied. I'm being EXTRA nice and won't hound her or ridicule her response.

Jo asked about smoke jumper radios for comms between planes and jumpers on the ground. Here is some info:
http://forums.radioreference.com/federal-monitoring-forum/230608-smokejumper-frequencies.html

Aircraft dropping retardant on fires are equipped with VHF FM radios such as Wulfsberg 9600 models. They use these to communicate with spotters, other tankers, ground fire crews and trucks. I visited an air tanker base at Chester CA a few years ago and all the planes had this gear installed. As I recall their channel cards showed freqs in the 160-170 MHz region.

Here is more info: http://forums.radioreference.com/greater-los-angeles-inland-areas-discussion/247586-fire-air-tanker-frequencies.html

Here ya go Bob, if you're stating your story is fact.

Call this number (931) 552-1018

Tell it to these guys, on record, subject to perjury and civil suit, of course. If any part of your story is false, you won't be able to call this number. If it is all true, they are the ones who can get you "Whistle Blower" Status and Protection.

So this is your last chance. Call the number, go on record and place all your cards on the table, or leave the thread and all of the "Cooper" followers, investigators, theorists, and fans of the story alone.

Matt

Why Tenn.? We went much further than that. The answers I got were basically, we know, please be quiet. Go away. (Including Carr.) So threaten me some more. Doesn't change any facts. Fact is that it was Pentagon sponsored assisted by the FBI Agents at the request of the FAA, authorized by the White House. That is what no one will admit and what you and your buddies try to bury. Jo Weber has some of the story, but her ability to investigate is not so hot. There were no CB communications. The appearance of Cooper was a surprise to most everyone. It was, according to everyone, not expected. But it was planned. At little new info for MrShutter. Go figure.

Excuse me for living, but reviewing your last fifty
posts, ... I would say the 'venom' tag belongs to you
more than me.

I don't have a problem with people being wrong, but
I DO have a BIG problem when they simply make up
lies to forward a personal agenda.

How long did it take you to "reviewing your last fifty
posts" ? When did you do this - just now, in the last
5 seconds?

Then you say: "I DO have a BIG problem when they
simply make up lies to forward a personal agenda."

I see a contradiction:

So its OK when you make stuff up but not OK
when 'they' make stuff up?

But you never make stuff up... you just reviewed my
last fifty posts, at the speed of light, and you never
make stuff up ...

But, quoting you: "but the only person I ever 'picked
on' was Marla Cooper. And the reason I did that was
because I don't have a problem with people being
wrong, but I DO have a problem when they simply
make up lies to forward a personal agenda."

You "picked on Marla" ... after reviewing her last fifty
posts?

But since you only picked on Marla you dont pick on
other people you dislike or feel threatened by ...
like Galen Cook and the FBI ...?

and you are the sole determiner of truth, for
yourself and everyone else and have no personal
agenda.

The Church of Adventure Books & Bobert Miracle
Blevins!

"If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere..."

Marilyn Monroe

So, tell me what the subjects of the 13th and 37th
of my last fifty posts was, and what I said ? I am
curious to know! This would certify that you are a
true genius and not just some common liar making
stuff up as others do but never you, "to forward a
personal agenda"..

My prediction is: you will say: "I never said that" ...

And THAT in a nutshell defines the current stalmate
everything is in, and has been in for several years,
here at DZ, trying to discuss the Cooper case with a
bunch of wannabe's around who have a deep seated
personal agenda of one kind or another ... from
radios to "Duane was at bu Dop in 1968 and I'm
dying and too sick to not post 6000 times " !

:D

I've asked Jo to tell me what evidence she relied on for her conclusion that the communication she heard actually originated from an aircraft. She hasn't yet replied. I'm being EXTRA nice and won't hound her or ridicule her response.

I haven't replied because I go to bed earlier now than I did before.
Remember we have a 2 hour time difference.

What was said was directional lingo & I don't remember much more. It was coming from the plane above us and we were going in the opposite direction. THE SOUND WAS DIFFERENT AND WHY IT GOT MY ATTENTION.

Same kind of communications I have heard when I flew in small craft over the yrs. Only a few times - private planes...some business and one gentleman friend.

Also having serious problems staying on line - I keep loosing the thread and have to sign on 2 or 3 times just to finish a post.

The response Duane gave them was something about frequencies. That is all I remember.

THis was 1978 in WY. Some how that communication came in on our CB.

Whatever - I am tired of hashing it over. I have told you what I know and yet, you guys keep tearing apart what I try to say and then twisting the words as someone did above in another post. That is sense-less...since I know nothing about this other than what I have told.

I know it happened and that is all.