47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Reply: why? Because the initials scrawled on the back door of N467US behind where the placard was
did not match any known alias of Duane Weber,
or any of the other imposters.

How's that for an opener to your Night Clerk, Jo?

Your move.

Georger

? Hey Georger now you got me all scratching my head. But I'm going to bed!

Good! That means I get to p[lay. Night!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Someone awhile back brought clarity to this subject but you’re right, Coopers words were two back parachutes and two front parachutes. He was given two belly reserves, one emergency bailout rig (NB6 “back chute”) and one main, the Pioneer.

This is just a forum. This is not life.

A G R E E. 101%.

Can I get a witness? No Marvin, not if he's in China.
Can't we all just get along? No Rodney, not here.

In fact, this is a subprime forum, but ya gotta love it. Lunatics, geniuses and a few regular folks. For the most part, there is a strange unconventional harmony, somehow pleasing in its atonal chaos and intellectual entropy.

When Cooper is finally ID'd and the forum shuts down, I hope we all have rich lives that will fill the void.

Peace,

Don’t you mean "peace out" 3 to the double 7 (my daughter would like me to be more hip, she won't even hold my hand in public until I do; so there you go).

377 wrote

"In fact, this is a subprime forum, but ya gotta love it. Lunatics, geniuses and a few regular folks. For the most part, there is a strange unconventional harmony, somehow pleasing in its atonal chaos and intellectual entropy."

Very heady stuff, I think you have hit upon the “Occlusal Paradox.” The mastication of ideas coming from different people, different perspectives, and different education levels all causes strain and damage as they come together. One would think causing such damage to be harmful but give it awhile and see what comes out the other end.

What as at first could be seen as harmful and divisive now comes together to bring fresh ideas and a grand sense of relief at new direction and resolution.

Ok, I tried my best at keeping up with you, it hurt my brain too much so I’ll go back to mastering the 7th grade vocab for now.

re: mumbo jumbo:
Or it's like DVDs.

Once you get used to the idea that, for a lot of reasons, there are no facts in the Cooper case, then it becomes a matter of predicting what movies someone might like. Where "like" is a codeword for actual resolution thru other means.

See, it's all about humans. You can use info about what movies others like, to predict the "will like" behavior of a single human, to a degree, but not 100%.

Netflix wants to improve that prediction capability, cause they'll make money.

Humans don't live on facts, they live on things they like...move away from things they dislike. I guess the facts could be the total space of movies made, but that's constantly changing (growing). Like info in the Cooper case.

You can lead with data, even if it's talking about "like".
Like is good. Like works. Like clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

You start with "like", but in the end someone really watches a particular movie, and then you have a fact. You can always "prove" that it's impossible to be correct on knowing what a future fact will be...but that's only if you worry about being 100% right on a single guess. The nice thing is, Netflix doesn't have to be 100% right on a single guess.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/magazine/23Netflix-t.html?_r=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink&oref=slogin

"THE “NAPOLEON DYNAMITE” problem is driving Len Bertoni crazy. Bertoni is a 51-year-old “semiretired” computer scientist who lives an hour outside Pittsburgh. In the spring of 2007, his sister-in-law e-mailed him an intriguing bit of news: Netflix, the Web-based DVD-rental company, was holding a contest to try to improve Cinematch, its “recommendation engine.” The prize: $1 million.

Cinematch is the bit of software embedded in the Netflix Web site that analyzes each customer’s movie-viewing habits and recommends other movies that the customer might enjoy.(Did you like the legal thriller “The Firm”? Well, maybe you’d like “Michael Clayton.” Or perhaps “A Few Good Men.”)"

This is just a forum. This is not life.

A G R E E. 101%.

Can I get a witness? No Marvin, not if he's in China.
Can't we all just get along? No Rodney, not here.

In fact, this is a subprime forum, but ya gotta love it. Lunatics, geniuses and a few regular folks. For the most part, there is a strange unconventional harmony, somehow pleasing in its atonal chaos and intellectual entropy.

When Cooper is finally ID'd and the forum shuts down, I hope we all have rich lives that will fill the void.

Peace,

Don’t you mean "peace out" 3 to the double 7 (my daughter would like me to be more hip, she won't even hold my hand in public until I do; so there you go).

377 wrote

"In fact, this is a subprime forum, but ya gotta love it. Lunatics, geniuses and a few regular folks. For the most part, there is a strange unconventional harmony, somehow pleasing in its atonal chaos and intellectual entropy."

Very heady stuff, I think you have hit upon the “Occlusal Paradox.” The mastication of ideas coming from different people, different perspectives, and different education levels all causes strain and damage as they come together. One would think causing such damage to be harmful but give it awhile and see what comes out the other end.

What as at first could be seen as harmful and divisive now comes together to bring fresh ideas and a grand sense of relief at new direction and resolution.

Ok, I tried my best at keeping up with you, it hurt my brain too much so I’ll go back to mastering the 7th grade vocab for now.

There is no “Occlusal Paradox” I made it up as a joke. A parody of blow hard self importance that at times permeates this thread by those with a pseudo-intellectual superiority complex. Within the joke is another joke about consuming and for the effort all you’re left with is a pile of *&^% see any overlay (get it?).

Don’t get me wrong, there is a place in this discussion for academia and I appreciate and admire it when appropriately applied. When it is used as a weapon to demean and position ones self above another it only serves to make one look like an ass, which I also appreciate.

The whole point here (for me and I hope you) is fun, entertainment and just maybe doing something really cool; solving one of the most intriguing mysteries in American criminal justice history.

The whole point here (for me and I hope you) is fun, entertainment and just maybe doing something really cool; solving one of the most intriguing mysteries in American criminal justice history.

by implication, you're saying your actions have led in contributing to achieving what you describe in the paragraph above?

You jump around. Sometimes you say the investigation was done, and you're doing nothing and it's up to "us". Sometimes you act like you're involved. Sometimes you act like you have no time.

You're full of shit.

At least we're consistently nuts.

Fun? You might be speculating about others. How exactly are you having fun? I could describe how I am. Your turn.

Huh???:S
Snowmman, Your logic is usually pretty good, your speculations are often reasonable (other times you just see bunny rabbits in the clouds), but your reasoning chains often leave me scratching my head. Some of them are probably misunderstood sarcasm or jokes. No, I'm not going to get on my "let's all be nice" soapbox again. Once was enough. I don't laugh at you more than 25% of the time, probably because I miss so many of your jokes. That's still probably a better success rate than my jokes.

There are facts in the Cooper case. The problem is the scarcity of them, and the resultant mythology that tries to fill in the spaces.

We need Sluggo to come back and clear up the myth/fact crap again. Then you would all understand that the following is a complete joke.

Jayme was Cooper! After the pills took effect, he opened the NB6 and found a pencil inside-It had been pencil-packed:ph34r:. After throwing the placard out, he wrote "PQ" to throw off the Feds. That way they would think "Quade did it. I am not DB Cooper"(© 2008 Bernard Sayers-used with no permission whatsoever) . He kludged the dummy reserve onto the NB6 (how else would it have gotten back to Issaquah?) and got away clean.

Where is Guru312 anyway?

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

okay wolf I'll shut up for a bit here. A "fun" thing for me about the forum is just listening to other folks, with a common thing to talk about.

I get a little bent about someone going on about their personal perceptions of what being intellectually "uppity" is about. (i.e. projecting motives) My life experience says everyone is brilliant. The problems occur when people think they can pretend to be dumb, and somehow that helps things.

-done for the day.

Wolfriverjoe,

Bless you (my son)...

May the "facts” of NORJAK separate themselves from the “myths” like a chef separates eggs.

Rum cake is good, but is high in calories and fat. That isn’t good, but it doesn’t stop me from eating it, even though it makes me lethargic and slow.

NORJAK is hard to separate “fact” from “myth,” but that doesn’t stop me from trying, even though it makes me lurk on an internet Cluster-F*%K.

JB (Jimmy Buffet) said it best:

Same occupations and same obligations, really have nothing to share.

Peace, Love, and Brotherhood,

da Slug (reduced to lurking on a thread in its "Death Rattles")

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

There is no “Occlusal Paradox” I made it up as a joke. A parody of blow hard self importance that at times permeates this thread by those with a pseudo-intellectual superiority complex. Within the joke is another joke about consuming and for the effort all you’re left with is a pile of *&^% see any overlay (get it?).

Don’t get me wrong, there is a place in this discussion for academia and I appreciate and admire it when appropriately applied. When it is used as a weapon to demean and position ones self above another it only serves to make one look like an ass, which I also appreciate.

Ckret:

I do not understand any of this mumbo jumbo - just way over my pea brain.

Just want to straighten out some miss information to the forum:

1. The night clerk was in his 20's in the 70's not now..
2. It is not my call if the FBI does not investigate his claim and his statement.
3. It is the call of the witness, if he decides to speak with the media - my advice is to be quiet and let the FBI do its thing...his coming forward publically is not worth what it would do to his life. The example of that is evidenced in this forum.

Many witnesses come forward in lots of crimes - but, they are not exposed to the media for various reasons. I would not want to be responsible for the ending results.
Remember - Been there, Done that.

All of the rumors about what new evidence is available, right now just rumors - to name a few.
The money, particial print found on the tie clip, initials carved on the plane (duh), DNA match - this is just the ones I have heard about from my contacts in WA...and NO none of them are or where FBI.

What comes around is not always what gets around.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Sluggo,

You have to think happy thoughts. Isn't that right happythoughts, he'll tell ya that himself. Come on “Hap” tell us, tell us how we have to be happy.

Seriously, we are moving forward; several cold cases have been solved many many years after the fact, this case is no different. What’s real? What’s not real? Where do the facts take us? Agree, disagree, on and on………..

In other words, there would be no pearls if not for a little agitation or I guess you could now say the Occlusal Paradox.

As for fun while working, yes!!!!! It is always my goal to have as much fun as I can possibly have while wading through the unfortunate vignettes of humanity that are presented to me on an almost daily basis.

I have posted the full text before. It was evidently copied to the NY Times, The Wash. Post, the LA Times and the Seattle Times. It was signed "D.B. Cooper".
Supposedly typewritten?

I'm intrigued by the sentence structure and particular phrases.

For instance, in "situations of high risks". Both situations and risks are pluralized. You'll find that sometimes people singularize one and pluralize the other.

I've highlighted that I believe the "boasting man" line betrays a literature background.

I'm curious about how the letter was formatted on the page.

I think the claim of wearing a toupee may possibly have been correct. Cooper may have not worn a hat for that reason. The toupee may have been one that thickened thin hair on top..not one that glued to a bald pate. The initial Cooper sketch had very thin hair on top. Thicker hair appeared by the '81 sketch, say.

The face putty may have been a lie. Possibly to cover up the reason for truly tanned skin.

But I think there are two key misinterpretations in the letter. Speculating: The "Unfortunately I do have only 14 months to live" was not a statement about impending death. It was a statement about needing to live..i.e. have money ..for the next 14 months for some reason. It didn't imply death at the end of that period.

The "few fast grains of peace of mind" may have been a reference to emotional or nervous "breakdown" type issues. It comes after the description of a "life" of "turmoil, hunger and more hate".

An example of the complex sentence structure is this next sentence. Note "though" was used instead of say "although". And "nor" was used correctly.
Note the comma position.

"I don't blame people for hating me for what I've done nor do I blame anybody for wanting me to be caught and punished, though this can never happen"

Colons, semicolons and commas were used (apparently to my quick scan) correctly throughout the letter? I'm curious if any punctuation was missing in places (periods)

It would be a "fun" and "interesting" part of investigating this world famous case, if a copy of this letter could be made available. And any report that was written on it's analysis. For instance what kind of typewriter. And the envelope if available. Was that typewritten also? Stamp? (postmarked in Seattle apparently?)

If the envelope was available, there might be DNA on the glue?

I'm also intrigued by the claims of flying airlines in the period after the hijack already (by Dec, 71)

Thank you for your attention.
(edit) I'm drinking a Schlitz while writing this. Hopefully that de-uppities things sufficiently.

(edit) Oh, as a matter of course, I expect the letter and enveloper were dusted for prints? Were the only prints found from the newspaper folk? If so, does that say the writer took precautions to prevent prints? Would be interesting to know. A simple hoax letter (no fraud) is not very criminal. May indicate the writer actually was worried about prints?

I have posted the full text before. It was evidently copied to the NY Times, The Wash. Post, the LA Times and the Seattle Times. It was signed "D.B. Cooper".
Supposedly typewritten?

reply:

Cooper left evidence, on purpose?, sloppy?,
stupid? ....... who knows. If he didn't care then
perhaps if he survived he didn't care and wrote a
letter. Vanity? The letter sounds very vain to me.

In the same vein it would not be out of
place for this individual to leave a calling card
on the plane.. "I was here!". There was a search and presumably no calling cards were found.

It was in that context I brought up the initials
dicussed elsewhere, many years ago. Sluggo
probably knows about this -

I will begin to post a few tidbits and people can bite
or not. Will only say there are a lot of avenues
which seldom get mentioned here, some never mentioned here, and they do make good reading.

"PIEDMONT MEMORABILIA -
The D.B. Cooper Airplane & Piedmont History:
Posted by: Don Shanks (---.atl.mediaone.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 04:34PM

Ronnie Macklin, the keeper of much of Piedmont's great history, provides us with the following Piedmont trivia!

On November 24, 1971, passenger D. B. Cooper, aboard a Northwest Airlines flight, hijacked the airplane. He was
given a $200,000 ransom when he threatened to detonate a bomb. Cooper then parachuted from the back of plane
with the $200,000 and was never heard from again! And yes, Cooper left his initials or something by the rear door before
departing. An attempt was made to rub it out but then Piedmont hung a small plaque over the scratches. The plane's pilot
was William "Scotty" Scott and he died this week of prostate cancer, in Green Valley, Arizona, at the age of 81.

Piedmont Airlines bought the airplane from Northwest. At Northwest it was numbered N407US. Piedmont renumbered it as N838N and flew it in passenger service. The plane was eventually retired and later leased to Pratt & Whitney who flew it after placing a plaque in the front of the plane stating that it was the plane from which D. B. Cooper parachuted. Piedmont later sold the airplane and Key Airlines renumbered it as N29KA.

Piedmont sold the airplane in September 1984. After we sold it, Ronnie says there were many aviation historians trying to trace it. They wanted to know if it was the "real one"! There were many people claiming that they had the airplane and that led to much confusion.

Ronnie says that there is an entry in the log book in N838N about the hijacking and the bail out through the rear steps of the Boeing 727. After this particular hijacking, the airlines moved quickly to prevent the opening of the 727 steps from the inside of the plane. Chief engineer on the vane was ______________. A “vane”, (an air foil) was installed on the outside of the airplane just to the left of the air stairs as you enter the 727 through the rear steps. After takeoff the wind would hit the “vane” pushing it up and locking the air stairs preventing them from be opened while in flight. A very simple - - but very effective fix. After Cooper, there were no hijackings that used the rear steps of the 727 to jump from the plane.

Ronnie says that the airplane was scrapped for parts in January 1993.

The plane’s parts, probably like D. B. Cooper’s “parts”, are scattered around the world! Is it possible that the two of them. . . . . . naw! . . . . .well maybe! All for now."

Geoger

Supposedly typewritten?

reply: more tidbits from Piedmont:

"A friend of mine (who'll remain anonymous) sent me this further information on D. B. Cooper:

"The guy who paid the ransom for Northwest was named John Ahlquist and was a middle manager with NW. He had to walk out to the airplane buck naked with the money bag his only protection from the elements. Anyway, John ended up as my boss at Airline X for a while, which led directly to my retirement from the airline. I did, however, come to understand why he was chosen to carry the ransom to Dan Cooper on the airplane. I am convinced that his bosses secretly hoped the hijacker would shoot him."

".....Dear Don,
I flew the D. B. Cooper airplane to Denver one day with a flight attendent named Kim Loft. I told her we were making history and ask her if we should tell the passengers. After I explained that we were on the D.B. Cooper aircraft and reminded her she was the daugther of Captain Loft of flight "401" fame, she said hell no, "you"ll scare them to death Bill." By the way she was a sweetheart.
Capt. Bill Morgan"

"I AM WONDERING IF I CAN GET THE PASSHINGER LISTS FOR FLIGTS FROM SPOKAEN PRIR TO THE D B COOPER FLIGHT ? I AM DOING RESERCH ON DB COOPER . MY MOTHER TOLD ME A STORY ABOUT MY DAD AND IF ITS TRUE I KNOW THE ANSER TO THIS MISTORY .ISLSO NEED TO KNOW IF THERE WAS A ACSES PORT TO THE CARGO HOLD ? " /no investigation has been made of this poster’s claims/

"
I flew as a f/a on that A/c many times....

DB Cooper carved his initials on the rear
tail door of that 727-100 a/c... before jumping ......
I don't know who owned the aircraft at that time...
(if someone knows that would be great...)
Then DB Cooper bailed with his ransom.... but
the money showed up way south ...

Piedmont placed a plaque over his initials.... and
I remember flying it many times... it was so neat..!
Like a folk tail... that really never happened... ‘cept
it did!

I watched a story on the news a few years ago
saying that he did not live and it is still a great
folk tale... its real history...

Yes... As I heard the A/c is now junked and now
not around.. a part of history. Did someone keep the door with the initials?"
Peg

Georger

Ckret:

I do not understand any of this mumbo jumbo - just way over my pea brain.

Just want to straighten out some miss information to the forum:

2. It is not my call if the FBI does not investigate his claim and his statement.
3. It is the call of the witness, if he decides to speak with the media - my advice is to be quiet and let the FBI do its thing...his coming forward publically is not worth what it would do to his life. The example of that is evidenced in this forum.

Many witnesses come forward in lots of crimes - but, they are not exposed to the media for various reasons. I would not want to be responsible for the ending results.
Remember - Been there, Done that.

All of the rumors about what new evidence is available, right now just rumors - to name a few.
The money, particial print found on the tie clip, initials carved on the plane (duh), DNA match - this is just the ones I have heard about from my contacts in WA...and NO none of them are or where FBI.

What comes around is not always what gets around.

reply: your former post to:

Re: The D.B. Cooper Airplane
Posted by: Jo Weber (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 02:03AM

Shawn Demonica --- I am the woman whose husband confessed to being Cooper 11 days before he died. His history and background tend to support this. I have done 10 yrs. of research on him and the Skyjacking and can answer most questions you might have, but prefer to do so thru private email. If your mother had a story to tell about your father then if she is still living I need to talk to her. How old are you? I am still looking for his daughter --- Zona is all I know. Her mothers name is Edna and I believe they were Mormons. /the FBI investigated this and does not accept the allegations of this poster/

Supposedly typewritten?

Reply> few more -

"Re: The D.B. Cooper Airplane
Posted by: Pam Horton (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 10:42PM

I flew many, many trips on the D.B. Cooper airplane. As I recall, it was N838N. We got it from Northwest.

One of our now retired F/As, Barbara Johnson, had a whole spiel she told the passengers about the history of the airplane and D.B. Cooper. She would always point out the plaque at the back of the plane over Cooper’s initials. Some of the passengers were delighted with her spiel. Some of them had no idea what she was talking about. And, some of them were clearly alarmed. Barbara loved telling the passengers about that airplane and they did learn a little airline history in the process.

Reading about that airplane brings up a lot of memories of flights that operated ORF-CLT-IAH roundtrip, and ORF-CLT-DFW roundtrip. "
Pam

"Yes. Many photos of N838N were taken especially
while it was in NIT for final checks before it was sold.
We knew it might be our last chance. We got the rear
stairs extended and everything. Wasn't going to let that pass by without some documentation. I'm surprised it was taken to a museum."

Georger

I did have conversations with the young man, but his mother never came to the phone. His mother had told him that she thought his father was Cooper. There was a problem with the time lines - that is why it didn't work. We talked on the phone I belleve 3 times over the past few yrs. There was also a problem with the age. I have his contact number if you think you can learn anymore than I did.

I tried to find his father thru the information he gave me - I still have it somewhere and it includes a telephone number.

The letter you posted I have never heard of and I find it hard to believe he had time to leave initials. He left the tie - that was all the FBI really needed. In the information I have there were 2 letters. Both short sweet and simply. I have always been interested in the one that was mailed 13 miles from where Duane's sister lived at that time.

It was sent to the Reno Newspaper I believe and the envelope was written in light pencil...that should have DNA and he probably licked it, but as far as I know the FBI doesn't know where this piece of evidence is - at least that is what I was told by Ralph Hope. I have asked Ckret and got no answer.

Another note was sent from Canada - with cut out letters - it mentions something about the Greys. Always thought that one was a hoax.

Obviously they did receive others that have never been revealed...and the one you mentioned I have NO knowledge of.

Interesting to get off on the letters and notes - I REALLY want to see the one with the address lightly printed in pencil.

Hope this makes sense - took a sleeping pill 1 1/2 hours ago and it is a NO go to bed. I guess I should go take the other half and see if that does the job...sometimes all they do is make me loopy.

By the way not one soul offered to help me find any information regarding the picture of a man wearing - a band suit, a flight suit, a guard uniform - or in any way help me to tie that darn picture down made in Salt Lake City in 1979.

What happened that day was an odd request and one that i haven't talk about...if I talked about all of the odd stuff we would never talk about Cooper.

Heres the picture ONE more TIME.

The letter you posted I have never heard of and I find it hard to believe he had time to leave initials. He left the tie - that was all the FBI really needed.

Reply - Snowmman posted the letters, not me.

Somebody carved the initials. They are or were, a
fact. Perhaps a prank after the Cooper event
since there is apparently no documentation they
were found during the examination at Reno.

But, it would not surprise me at all if Cooper
did carve his intials and left a calling card. He had
about 30 mins to do it unobserved.

Georger

Answer
1. I am not aware anyone thought the night clerk had not yet been born at the time of the hijacking (seeing as 1971 is 37 years ago). I think the question snow asked, at least as i understood, not stated explicitly: a night clerk (or any hotel clerk job really) is not exactly the most intellectually demanding job out there. Sure, that is true of a number of teaching jobs as well, but would it be normal to expect someone already doing a job like that well into their 20s to then go and get a teaching degree and end up being so good that they get contratcs in China? And the answer could be yes maybe, but at face value, it would be unlikely.
btw if the night clerk was 27 in 1971 (i think that was what snow said? is that true) that would make him 64 now, close to retirement and a strange age to be taking up contracts in foreign countries? Again sure it's possible...but unlikely?
2. Agreed. So why are there so many posts from you lambasting them for not doing anything about him?
3. Not worth what it would do to his life?? A second wife or whatever is hardly unforgiveable, and far less of interest anwyay than what he claims to know. I think this reason that you keep using is very strange. Far more people have real stuff to hide and still come forward to report on crimes. It's not like he would be the first witness in history to have his credibility called into question. Hey, he would be a hero if he helped crack the DB Cooper case anyway, so if his version is correct I can hardly see why he wouldn't go public. Of course, if what it would do to his life reveals deception of you and people despise him for that, sure then I understand it.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

(edit) this phrase is in the Dec. '71 letter

"I don't blame people for hating me"

That kind of statement has never entered my mind before. Whenever I see a collection of sequential words, a phrase, that seems unique, I always like to google it, to see how often it's used, and by what kind of people.

while it has nothing to do with a 1971 use, here's an example of someone else using it:

"How can anyone stand to look at me or be around me. I don't blame people for hating me. I'm a gross monster who should never have been born. I disgust myself so I can only imagine what other see when they look at me".

It's weird now that I think of it. That one little phrase does capture both a pushing-out "I don't blame" while obviously the writer does blame...and a pulling in "people hating me"...i.e. feeling attacked.

It's like the phrase would be used with a false sense...pretending to emote over others, but it's really all about me.

Glibly, I could say "like Jo'...but Jo would never use a phrase like that. That's not Jo. So it's a weird kind of phrase.

It's like someone saying they're not writing about something, but the reader has to say, no, you are writing about the thing you say you're not writing about.

although I have no idea what's true, I've read some posts by mechanics who say their 727 were missing a vane, and wondering if "Cooper Vane" was a myth.

Apparently most US 727's installed the mod, but some didn't or got deliveries without it. Iberia was mentioned as getting theirs without it (at some time).

Hey, 377 had a good question about 727s in use.

There's actually a web site that will track all planes currently in flight in the US, by aircraft type, so you can check, like real-time.

The code for a 727-200 is B722. 727-100 is B721
so the links are:
http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B722
http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B721

Click on them and you get a nice little real-time map.
They have little green planes..that actually have little black shadows under them.