47 47
quade

DB Cooper

I wonder how many shrinks log into this thread daily to watch and salivate over potential clients.

Apparently not enough. That's based on the number of nuts still on the loose here.

Amazon, I think the shrinks have now moved over to CBS.

nope - still here - Crown are tje only sane people in
this business, and it is a business - they saw that
from the gitgo. It was obvious to me what Gray was
and the folks behind him. Without them Gray is
nothing. But attornies are now licking their chops
and sharpening their teeth. Gray can no longer
claim he's "a reporter". He's a businessman.

The sun doesnt shine on the same dog's ass the
whole 'day' long. Noon arrived and is now gone.
The fun is over. The work of real business life begins.

It appears to be the pet project of the particular director, a long time television producer whose film directorial output has been moderately budgeted semi-raunchy fluff comedies. How the subject of D.B. Cooper would fit into that mold is a little baffling, but there must be some angle on things specific to Gray's book.

The director is also attached to four or five other projects in development of light comedy fare, not unusual as only a percentage of optioned material ever makes it past the development and script stage. The phrase "action-comedy" comes direct from the original press release at CBS films. I would guess based on the director's pedigree that if it ever actually mad it into production, the end result would bear as little resemblance to reality as previous Hollywood fare that referenced Cooper such as "The Pursuit of DB Cooper" or "Without a Paddle".

As somebody who follows this thread out of sheer fascination on the topic, I thought this sufficiently weird enough to mention here.

It appears to be the pet project of the particular director, a long time television producer whose film directorial output has been moderately budgeted semi-raunchy fluff comedies. How the subject of D.B. Cooper would fit into that mold is a little baffling, but there must be some angle on things specific to Gray's book.

The director is also attached to four or five other projects in development of light comedy fare, not unusual as only a percentage of optioned material ever makes it past the development and script stage. The phrase "action-comedy" comes direct from the original press release at CBS films. I would guess based on the director's pedigree that if it ever actually mad it into production, the end result would bear as little resemblance to reality as previous Hollywood fare that referenced Cooper such as "The Pursuit of DB Cooper" or "Without a Paddle".

As somebody who follows this thread out of sheer fascination on the topic, I thought this sufficiently weird enough to mention here.

The weirdness factor is more than adequate for this thread.

But "Without a Paddle"? Never heard of it. Obviously I am no where near the cutting edge of contemporary show business.

It was puported to have been said years before the skyjack G, when Peterson rented a room at Sailshaws home.

AND THE DATE?

ONLY SAILSHAW MAY KNOW -

THANK YOU.

Perhaps I can help here.

Bob Sailshaw has told me that Sheridan "Dan" Peterson lived in his home in November, 1961 for one month. Dan "rented" a room in the basement, but was asked to leave at the end of the month because he didn't pay the rent.

Bob says that he and Dan talked nearly every day, and that is when Bob learned about Dan's life as a smokejumper in the 1950s in Montana. Bob has said that those 30 days in 1961 was also the time when Dan suggested that Bob team up with him to develop the "system to beat the system."

Bob also met Dan about six months later in the spring of 1962 at the Seattle World's Fair, where Dan was working as the Bubbleator operator. Bob says that Dan also got a job at Boeing, presumably around the summer of 1962, but Bob and Dan apparently never met during that time.

Overlapping his time at Boeing apparently, Dan also started working full-time at Lake Washington High School in Kirkland, WA as an English teacher in the fall of 1962, as I understand the story-line.

Sheridan has refused to confirm, deny or clarify any of this information in the many emails I have sent him. In the one phone call I made to Sheridan, the elderly male voice who answered denied that he was Sheridan Peterson, and also refused to tell me who he was. Nevertheless, the phone number I called was registered to the address of a Sheridan Peterson, living in the Santa Rosa, California area. Mr. Peterson no longer lives at that address, as I learned when I went to visit him there this past January.

Also, the de-coding of the "system to beat the system letter," the so-called "Playboy Magazine letter" because Playboy magazines are the source of the all the text in the letter, is utterly remarkable. How the letter was decoded, and the precision in the video is stunning. I would love to know more about this de-coding, who did it, and how it was done. Either the de-coder composed the original letter, or was informed directly by the author. Either way, this is one Playboy I want to read, if you catch my drift....

It appears to be the pet project of the particular director...

But "Without a Paddle"? Never heard of it. Obviously I am no where near the cutting edge of contemporary show business.

Perhaps you mean, "Without a Propeller?"

RE: Nat Geo, "The Skyjacker who Got Away."

It was puported to have been said years before the skyjack G, when Peterson rented a room at Sailshaws home.

AND THE DATE?

ONLY SAILSHAW MAY KNOW -

THANK YOU.

Perhaps I can help here.

Bob Sailshaw has told me that Sheridan "Dan" Peterson lived in his home in November, 1961 for one month. Dan "rented" a room in the basement, but was asked to leave at the end of the month because he didn't pay the rent.

Bob says that he and Dan talked nearly every day, and that is when Bob learned about Dan's life as a smokejumper in the 1950s in Montana. Bob has said that those 30 days in 1961 was also the time when Dan suggested that Bob team up with him to develop the "system to beat the system."

Bob also met Dan about six months later in the spring of 1962 at the Seattle World's Fair, where Dan was working as the Bubbleator operator. Bob says that Dan also got a job at Boeing, presumably around the summer of 1962, but Bob and Dan apparently never met during that time.

Overlapping his time at Boeing apparently, Dan also started working full-time at Lake Washington High School in Kirkland, WA as an English teacher in the fall of 1962, as I understand the story-line.

Sheridan has refused to confirm, deny or clarify any of this information in the many emails I have sent him. In the one phone call I made to Sheridan, the elderly male voice who answered denied that he was Sheridan Peterson, and also refused to tell me who he was. Nevertheless, the phone number I called was registered to the address of a Sheridan Peterson, living in the Santa Rosa, California area. Mr. Peterson no longer lives at that address, as I learned when I went to visit him there this past January.

Also, the de-coding of the "system to beat the system letter," the so-called "Playboy Magazine letter" because Playboy magazines are the source of the all the text in the letter, is utterly remarkable. How the letter was decoded, and the precision in the video is stunning. I would love to know more about this de-coding, who did it, and how it was done. Either the de-coder composed the original letter, or was informed directly by the author. Either way, this is one Playboy I want to read, if you catch my drift....

Thanks for the repeat Bruce - this helps.
G.

I believe it's the highest grossing D.B. Cooper related motion picture property of all time, taking almost seventy million dollars internationally. Despite the infamous human feces flinging sequence, critics were generally not kind toward the film, although it does rank as one of the most commercially successful films in the career of Burt Reynolds.

BoxOfficeMojo.com lists it as being #16 on the list of all time top films in the "Treasure Hunt" genre, outranking such cinematic gems as Muppet Treasure Island and Gold Diggers: Secret of Bear Mountain.

Quote:

'Bob has said that those 30 days in 1961 was also the time when Dan suggested that Bob team up with him to develop the "system to beat the system."...'

Ambigious statement. It could refer to beating blackjack in Vegas, scamming the IRS on your taxes, forming a corporation and then trashing it for profit, doing a Bernie Madoff on investors...or any number of things.

There are a lot of 'systems'.

Now if he had said, 'Figure out the perfect crime...' then I would lend more credence to it.

You are probably too young to know this but back
in the 60s and early 70s "the system" generally
referred to only one thing, and it had a political-
corporation-war economy connotation, brought to
the surface by Vietnam and the first inflation
known since the end of WWII.

This was long before computer associations and
the Conservative movement, which developed
because of a collapsing economy post Vietnam under Carter.

Given Peterson's background he was probably
referring to institutions of government and the
corporate economy as that related to colonialism
and Vietnam. Read works by Bernard Fall and old
issues of The Nation magazine.

GEORGER: You say: "what was the date you talked with Sheridan and he said the System to Beat the System"

Good question and the answer is 10 years before the DB Cooper Skyjacking when he lived at my home for a month. He mentioned the Beat the System many times in the one month saying with our College educations, we should be able to design the System to Beat the System.

Bob Sailshaw

GEORGER: You say in your post:

You have got it right as Sheridan had a grudge for several Systems that troubled him. The system in the Father Flanagian boys shool he grew up in and the Marines he joined at age 16 (to get out of the boys school) and the divorce that cost him a lot of money, and layoff from Boeing at the cancellation of the SST (Supersonic Transport) and in general the system that did not pay him as well as he thought his College education should have provided. And, the Viet Nam War and how the system (U.S.) treated the V.N. people.

Bob Sailshaw

You have got it right as Sheridan had a grudge for several Systems that troubled him. The system in the Father Flanagian boys shool he grew up in and the Marines he joined at age 16 (to get out of the boys school) and the divorce that cost him a lot of money, and layoff from Boeing at the cancellation of the SST (Supersonic Transport) and in general the system that did not pay him as well as he thought his College education should have provided. And, the Viet Nam War and how the system (U.S.) treated the V.N. people.

Bob Sailshaw

dont forget the Military Industrial Complex warning -
Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Douglas MacArthur had a completely different point
of view.

I knew Petey's phrase was context driven and you
would know the context, based on your
conversations with him. I wont make any value
judgements. Now if Petey had been a programer and
talking about DOS and PL1 ... but he wasn't. Petey
was quite the frustrated dreamer, but so were many
back then. An uncle of mine advised: 'wishing
doesnt make things true - get to work!'

Most biases have a personal basis of some kind.
Most people form biases (are shaped) by living.
Then they discover they have to be able to afford
their biases, which they can't! Its one of the basic
conundrums of existence. Most of Shakespearre's
plays are based on that conundrum. The only
question is did his tantrums include hijacking an
airplane?

CBS Films Acquires ‘Skyjack: The Hunt For D.B. Cooper’ For Will Gluck To Direct

By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday June 13, 2012 @ 1:05pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: Easy A helmer Will Gluck is at the center of a deal that CBS Films is making for the bestselling Geoffrey Gray novel Skyjack: The Hunt For D.B. Cooper, which was published by Crown. Gluck is in talks to direct and produce via his Olive Bridge banner, and Keith Bunin will write the script. Bunin scripted episodes of the HBO series In Treatment, and is writing for Universal and Illumination Entertainment a live-action film about the life of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) as a vehicle for Johnny Depp to star in and produce.

The Skyjack novel is an action-comedy that follows the story of D.B. Cooper, who on November 24, 1971, hijacked a Boeing 727, demanded $200,000 and parachutes, and jumped out over the Pacific Northwest. He was never caught and hailed as a folk hero. The book tracks his story from the perspectives of three different people claiming to be him. Gluck most recently co-wrote, directed and produced Friends With Benefits, the romantic comedy that starred Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis. He is in the middle of a Sony Pictures deal for movies and series, and this is a rare project outside that arrangement.

Gluck is repped by UTA. Bunin is repped by Kaplan/Perrone and CAA, and CAA reps the author as well. CBS Films execs Maria Faillace and Mark Ross are overseeing the film.

For CBS Films, which has made acquisitions a big part of its slate, it becomes another filmmaker-driven homegrown project, much like the upcoming Seven Psychopaths by In Bruges helmer Martin McDonagh.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/cbs-films-acquires-skyjack-the-hunt-for-d-b-cooper-for-will-gluck-to-direct/

If they intend to represent this as a comedy - they better know this story is about REAL people with a large portion of their lives involved. They will have a BIG problem on their hands. The individuals Grey interviewed are REAL LIVING individuals and if they intend to do this as a Comedy - they better think TWICE.

That is pretty confrontational. But if they own the rights to the books story, they are A OK, to make it comedic if they want.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

It appears to be the pet project of the particular director, a long time television producer whose film directorial output has been moderately budgeted semi-raunchy fluff comedies. How the subject of D.B. Cooper would fit into that

Robert! You are really NOT up on Cooper. That is an old movie about Cooper - it is crazy. It is wild. I have only see some promotion clips but, that was enough for me.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

It appears to be the pet project of the particular director, a long time television producer whose film directorial output has been moderately budgeted semi-raunchy fluff comedies. How the subject of D.B. Cooper would fit into that

Robert! You are really NOT up on Cooper. That is an old movie about Cooper - it is crazy. It is wild. I have only see some promotion clips but, that was enough for me.

Jo, I just Googled the movie and it was released in August 2004. So it is less than eight years old.

Still, I had never heard of it until yesterday. Apparently I am not up to being a True Cooper Believer. Or maybe I just had a Golden Moment in 2004.

In fact, I was really busy in the 2004 election year and motion pictures were the last thing I was thinking about. But to maintain consistency, I will still ignore it if it ever appears on cable some stormy night.

Anyway, I've got better things to do such as watch the grass grow, the paint dry, and the traffic lights change.

Jo Stated:

If they intend to represent this as a comedy - they better know this story is about REAL people with a large portion of their lives involved. They will have a BIG problem on their hands. The individuals Grey interviewed are REAL LIVING individuals and if they intend to do this as a Comedy - they better think TWICE.

Matt Replied:

"That is pretty confrontational. But if they own the rights to the books story, they are A OK, to make it comedic if they want."

Jo's Anwer:

The very fact that Grey based his book on REAL characters who he interviewed and exaggerated many thing about the individuals and these individual NEVER SIGNED any releases....means a movie maker has to go thru a lot of hoops. Grey promised us a chance to read what he was writing about us - but that did NOT happen until the book was published.

I let it go, but if I am going to be characterized per his description of me - that is NOT going to happen! I did NOT object because he was TRYING to protect my location and identity, by portraying me as a country hick and a bar pick-up. Perhaps to a New Yorker I am laid back, but NOT a hick.

Never wore a kerchief in my life and I was not in a bar as a pick-up. I was at the Hilton Airport and had a drink at the bar attached to the restaurant.
One does NOT go thru fruit stands and barbecues pits to get to my home.

I am a relative reserved and very private person who has gone to a great deal of trouble to protect my privacy. I still live in an area - about 25 miles from where I lived with Duane. I did NOT GRIPE about the way I was portrayed because he DID this to protect me.

It is my understand if a book is written using REAL individuals who did NOT sign releases - Grey could get in a lot of trouble. I can assure you that Crown did NOT provide me with a release nor did Grey. One of the reasons - the book written about McCoy ended up having to pay a settlement to Mrs. Mc Coy.

I never signed anything other than the permission to use certain photos I sent to him. I believe he only use the one's the public has see in the past.

Because the last chapter was so funny - I let it go, but will not stand still for a movie. Cooper specific books fall within a genre only few people are interested in and therefore I didn't worry about it.

I expect our attorney in residence 377 will have some answers regarding this.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Bob Sailshaw

dont forget the Military Industrial Complex warning -
Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Douglas MacArthur had a completely different point
of view.

I knew Petey's phrase was context driven and you
would know the context, based on your
conversations with him. I wont make any value
judgements. Now if Petey had been a programer and
talking about DOS and PL1 ... but he wasn't. Petey
was quite the frustrated dreamer, but so were many
back then. An uncle of mine advised: 'wishing
doesnt make things true - get to work!'

Most biases have a personal basis of some kind.
Most people form biases (are shaped) by living.
Then they discover they have to be able to afford
their biases, which they can't! Its one of the basic
conundrums of existence. Most of Shakespearre's
plays are based on that conundrum. The only
question is did his tantrums include hijacking an
airplane?

“Cry of the Wild Goose” Frankie Lane
Analogous to "Georger's Wild Goose Chase."

My heart knows what the wild goose knows,
I must go where the wild goose goes.
Wild goose, brother goose, which is best?
A wanderin' fool or a heart at rest?

Tonight I heard the wild goose cry,
Wingin' north in the lonely sky.
Tried to sleep, it weren't no use,
'Cause I am a brother to the old wild goose,

Oh, my heart knows what the wild goose knows,
And I must go where the wild goose goes.

Petey was kind and true to me.
He thinks he loves me, the more fool he.
He's got a love that ain't no use,
To chase the trail of the old wild goose.

Oh, you wild goose.

The cabin is warm and the snow is deep,
I had a dream when I went asleep.
Pete will wake at tomorrow's dawn,
And find, poor critter, that Duane is gone.
Oh, you wild goose.

I must go where the wild goose goes.
Let me fly, let me fly, let me fly away.

Spring is comin' and the ice will break,
I can't linger for Petey's sake.
He'll see a shadow pass overhead.
He'll find my feathers beside my bed.

Wild goose, wild goose, wild goose, wild goose.

I never liked Frankie Lane.

This song (which in a way is ABOUT the military-industrial complex - is more up my alley.) :)

Frankie is the type of guy John Lennon would have called a 'poof'.

Tony's guitar in War Pigs: Gibson SG. If you're going to rock, might as well play the best. I ditched my Les Paul years ago and switched to an SG. :)
A while ago, I said my neighbors complained when I would practice and go 'past 4'. Didn't mean 4AM...I meant past '4' on the volume switch of the amp. If I tried playing at four AM my neighbors would come to my place with a rope and start looking for a tree...:|

Edit: Mail arrived. There is a packet of pictures and believe it or not - a jigsaw puzzle - sent by the Christiansen family. I will scan and post them later. Mildly interesting, and no doubt on the ID. They actually told me what the pictures were about this time.

Frankie Lane: "Rawhide" and "Mule Train" were good. I'm a Roy Orbison fan, but like a little of everything. I helped pick the song packages and the sales presentation on two of the current Time-Life offerings. Musical officianado that I am.... It's more who you know that counts.

I recommend we focus our attention more keenly on the letters that “DB Cooper” sent to the media in the days and weeks after the skyjacking.

In particular, I find Letter # 3 to be most fascinating.

Letter # 3 is the first of two “cut and past” letters that “DB Cooper” sent to a newspaper.

Number 3 reads:

“Am alive and well in hometown P.O.
The system that beat the system.
DB Cooper”

According to journalist John Craig, the letter has been analyzed by an “Al Di,” so now we have an additional mystery, Who is Al Di? Further, why won’t Al Di identify himself?

http://voices.yahoo.com/1971-db-cooper-letters-linked-suspect-7516448.html?cat=37

Nevertheless, here is what we know about Letter #3:

It is the first of two cut-and-paste jobs that “DB Cooper” sent to media. It was mailed in Oregon from a “970” zip code, but not a Portland one. It was mailed to the Oregonian newspaper, but apparently never published nor made public.

I understand that Larry Carr made the presence known of this letter during his time as the Cooper case officer, but the Al Di web site says that the presence of the letter was not revealed until August 2011.

Also from Craig, we are reminded that the DZ got wind of the analysis in a posting from a “DB Cooper decoded” on September 8, 2011, and I remember the posting.

The “decoding” video is superb and can be seen at:

http://dbcooperdecoded.com/messages1.html

Further, the envelop was hand-written, and addressed:

“Editor – Oregonian
1320 SW Broadway
97201”

Craig says that Galen told him that he saw the envelop in Seattle in May 2011, and that the handwriting appeared to be very similar to that of William Gossett.

In the body of letter #3, some of the “tells” that “DB Cooper used according to Al Di, are very interesting. Perhaps the most fascinating is the presence of an article in one of the Playboy magazines on the Mai Lai massacre by freelance journalist Jesse Frank Frosch, who earlier had been a US Army intelligence officer in Vietnam, which is how he gained his information. However, he was also assassinated later in Cambodia during an ambush when he was working as a reporter for the UPI.

The associations to Petey are obvious.

Other tells come from the advertisements in which the text was cut, and they included tobacco, martini and cigarette lighter ads.

The manner in which Al Di describes DB Cooper is also interesting.

Al Di describes DB Cooper as a “sky pirate” and one that is “brash, highly calculating” and who “coolly executed” the hijacking. He characterizes the skyjacking as “akin…to a James Bond movie.”

These are not the words or perspectives that I usually associate with the typical views of the FBI or agents involved in the case.

Al Di says he is not a “professional researcher” but just an “average Joe” who is fascinated by the DB Cooper case.

Lastly, Al Di claims to be the first to decode letter #3. Who else decoded it?

Sailshaw and I are going to have a lunch soon at the Seattle Yacht Club and talk to more of our FBI contacts. It's time to find out a bit more of what is going on inside the Bureau's offices in Seattle.

I suspect that someone is stirring the pot and Letter #3 is on the menu.

I am rereading the whole thread, tedious with all the side tracks in it.

So maybe this will be easier to ask than research.

Is there a detailed, official, accounting of how the money was bundled before it was bagged and delivered?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Is there a detailed, official, accounting of how the money was bundled before it was bagged and delivered?

Matt

You are joking, right? Have you seen anything about this case that is detailed, official accounting? Something accepted by all? Probably not detailed, but the case agent might find something in the file.

I think someone "way back" on this or the preceding thread found something that indicated that bank peoples usually bundle together several packets at a time when packaging money. And shortly after the money was found on Tena Bar, an FBI agent stated to a newspaper that all of the found money was from one bundle even though it seems pretty much accepted that there were parts of at least 3 packets that everyone calls "bundles."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3104370;search_string=money%20bundled;#3104370

Ckret's post #1572 from the first thread.

The money was provided by Seafirst bank which is now Bank of America. The money had been earmarked for situations such as these and was always on hand. It had been photographed and serial numbers recorded by their security so the FBI did none of this.

The money was then transported by SeaFirst bank security to a Seattle police detective who then drove it to the airport and handed over to NWA. The money was bundled in various counts so that no bundle was the same. Each bundle was secured by rubber band and different counts so that it appeared the money was hastily gathered.

....Other tells come from the advertisements in which the text was cut, and they included tobacco, martini and cigarette lighter ads.

Yeah. Those are real "tells." :P How much of the advertising in Playboy do you suppose were for tobacco products, booze and cigarette lighters? How likely would it be if none of these were represented in the letter if characters were randomly selected? It would "tell" something if the text was cut from the Raleighs ad, a bourbon ad, and a matchbook ad--things that actually matched the case.