QuickDraw

Maximum Weight

Depends on the drop zone. I know at Perris the limit for AFF is 245 pounds, but other dz's may have lower or higher limits depending on their student equipment and the ability of their instructors to fall really really fast.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
"Where's my beer?" - Al Stephens "Oh, was this yours? - Lisa

Some Drop zones keep a special rig for large people. Other DZ's will send large people to us because we can take students that are over 300 lbs. The weight is not a problem. But you must still be in decent overall physical condition.
William

I dont' see why he'd have a problem. I"m 6ft 1in and weigh a bit under 240 (some from beer, mostly from weight lifting) and have had no problems going through my training progression (at a very small DZ, none the less) and continuing with my skydiving. Although my RW speeds can reach normal ppl's FF speeds and my sitfly speeds reach head down speeds. :)Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

>I know there is a limit for tandems (around 225lbs i think),
>but is there a maximum for AFF? im just asking for a friend
Here are the common problems with heavy AFF students:
1. The DZ must have a rig that is both safe and legal for him to use. Skydivers regularly disregard speed and weight limits for their gear, but with students, I think it's more important to stick to the manufacturer's limits.
2. The DZ must have AFF-JM's who can keep up. It's usually not a problem.
3. The student's legs and ankles must be able to support him during a hard landing. A 250 pound linebacker is no problem; a 5'6" 250 pound woman, who never walks farther than from her car to the mall, will not do well in AFF.
4. In DZ's with small planes, the plane must be able to lift him and his instructors. I don't know of any commonly used aircraft that can't do this, but he may have to pay for an extra slot and/or do without video if he's very heavy.
-bill von

Most reserve parachutes are only certified for 254 pound exit weights.
Eixt weight means jumper plus gear.
As the other posters mentioned: physical fitness is the real issue. Last summer I did a tandem jump with a 270 pound rugby player who turned out to be a good student! Great ears on that fellow!
And I recently promised to take my 260 pound, soccer playing cousin for a tandem after his knee heals.
On the other hand, some of my worst tandem skydives have been with short, 190 pound women!

On the other hand, some of my worst tandem skydives have been with short, 190 pound women!

When I went through my JCC/ICC the first thing the instructor told me was to watch out for the large girls with the tiny ankles. I never thought about it before but it's true as they tend to damage their ankles more.
Now when I have them in my class or if I am helping gear-up students I make sure to put them on at least one canopy size larger then they need just in case.
Kris

254lbs? What happens if I come to realize my weight lifting goals and body weight then? Will I have to have special reserves made or will I be up the proverbial creek? I had never thought of that as an issue before.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Or you can use a Halo reserve.

Tandem Cypres calibrates for 2000 feet, much higher than student/expert Cypres. Does the HALO reserve open fast enough for a student Cypres? Do you have a minimum weight for your HALO rig? How do you deal with the AAD issues?
Mark

prost,
My guess is that the minimum weight on a (380 square foot) HALO reserve is about 200 pounds. At 200 pounds it will suffer occaisional closed end cells in turbulence. Slow openings are not an issue with reserves, they are packed to open NOW!
AADs are not a limiting factor on big boy rigs. Any one of the popular AADs will work well on a big boy rig: FXC 12000, FXC Astra or Student Cypres.
Blatant sales pitch: Pacific Skydivers has a good used Telesis with Raven 4 (282), Goliath (about 320) and FXC 12000J for sale.

>Most reserve parachutes are only certified for 254 pound exit weights.
OK, dredging up some archived memories here -
The 254 pound limit applied to reserves and rigs certified under TSO C23c only, I believe. C23b did not have the weight limit, nor does C23d. I remember going through the exercise of "designing" a legal student rig, and it involved a Racer and a Goliath reserve - both, I believe, C23b. Nowadays it's possible to do the same thing with C23d gear.
-bill von

I am not saying that any of them will not work. It is only that the FXC is the only one I have experience with on a converted halo rig. And I know that from where we set the FXC, it will open. As far as the minimum wing loading on a halo reserve, no one that jumps that rig will come even close to being that light. Most of the guys that we put on it are pushing 300 or even over it. For them this is the way to go. If the student is smaller we have other rigs.
William

I made my first AFF jump at 320lbs. My exit weight was about 375-380lbs. We used a modified tandem with a 340sq main. Fortunately, I never found out what the reserve was...:)
Here's my personal thoughts on the matter: I think if you get the opportunity to jump safely, DO IT!!!

The deal I made with the DZ and instructors was simple; If, when they met me, they didn't feel comfortable with my size/weight/build, or mental capacity I would not be allowed to jump. Additionally, I had to have a jumpsuit made with a butt-load of extra fabric (they provided the specs).

Even with the suit and the extra drag, the instructors had to strap on an extra 35-40lbs. to keep up. I know they hated that, and to this day I am extremely appreciative.

A benefit to my size/weight was that it was almost impossible to become unstable (even without arching).

One thing I can say, it was like wearing a 50lb. bag of sakrete (cement).

The wingload was about 1.1:1 and as a newbie, I couldn't tell you if that was good or bad. I had no problems controlling the canopy and enjoyed cranking the turns. The force it took to hold the turn through a 270 was incredible. I could barely keep my arm striaght.

In freefall, I wasn't out of control, but I certainly thought I could have had better body awareness. After the first jump, I debreifed with my instructors and they were somewhat relieved that I didn't freak out on the jump.

I'm not the type of person to ignore safety for the sake of fun nor are my instructors. If I thought for an instant that my instructors wouldn't be able to handle me in the air, I would never have made the jumps.
I think the decision to let me jump was a good one. I think it would have been much easier for everyone if I had lost some weight first. We took the protracker on a jump and registered 175mph on exit. I admire the instructors' for their grips.

I'm not going to say where I did the jumps until I speak with the DZO and instructors. I don't think jumping "heavys" is something they want to do on a regular basis. Additionally, I've taken it upon myself to not jump until I loose a substantial amount of weight. It's no fun jumping alone. But, I am a hybrid jump organizer's dream.

I'm 265 lbs, exit weight is around 290-295. I just bought a used container and reserve - vector 2, Raven IV. My main is smaller, it's a Silhouette 230, which I'm really enjoying flying, but I'm glad to know that if bad things happen and I'm going to have to land a reserve (with all the adrenaline, etc that entails) that my ride will be a bit slower and more gentle, and easier to deal with on the landing. I was told that I'd be fine with a smaller reserve, 218ish range, and I'm sure that's probably true other than the weight limit, but I'm happy to have that bigger reserve in my pack.