howardwhite

What is this plane? #6

O.K., pretty easy plane ID. But I don't think it's a common skydiving plane.
HW

Tom Cannarozzo had two 411s when he ran the DZ in Las Vegas. I did hundreds of tandems out of them both.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

We had a 411 at Decatur, TX in 1983/84. Finally got rid of it because of safety concerns regarding a design flaw in the rudder. Seemed that the rudder was too small to maintain directional control in the event of a critical engine failure on takeoff........or something like that.:)

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

We had a 411 at Decatur, TX in 1983/84. Finally got rid of it because of safety concerns regarding a design flaw in the rudder. Seemed that the rudder was too small to maintain directional control in the event of a critical engine failure on takeoff.

That was Bishop's plane, right? Wasn't that plane lost during a load after the jumpers had exited, Bishop had to bail out or something along those lines?

I was 3 in 1983, but I'm trying to keep my "old fart" stories straight.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

C-411 I remember jumping one at Pell City for one day in 1995. It was from the Rome, GA DZ, and I heard later it crashed.

I remember someone mentioned it was the one type of plane you did NOT want to be in if an emergency arose.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

C-411 I remember jumping one at Pell City for one day in 1995. It was from the Rome, GA DZ, and I heard later it crashed.

I remember someone mentioned it was the one type of plane you did NOT want to be in if an emergency arose.

There are rather a few aircraft that had a presence in the sport, whose flight characteristics left something to be desired under the wrong circumstances. Typically they were affordable - for good reason - after becoming too long in the tooth for their intended purpose.

The LoadStall comes to mind as down-home bad news if it has too far aft a cg. Spending the last moments of my life looking at a door I can't reach because of the Gs is not a prospect I relish.

Any of the GSIO Beech twins you can have. I qualify for the caterpillar club from two Twin-Bos that muched engines, and can think of all too many Twin-Bos and QueenAirs that couldn't continue to fly when one fan quit turning. If Nick Christian couldn't keep one aloft, I am not sure who could.

The Cessna 411 has earned a reputation for danger because of its lack of rudder authority. After takeoff there is all too big a window during which, if you lose an engine, you're screwed.

There are some aircraft that require a sure hand on the stick, but I'll still jump.

The ones where NOBODY is good enough you can have.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Hi winsor,

The LoadStall comes to mind as down-home bad news if it has too far aft a cg. Spending the last moments of my life looking at a door I can't reach because of the Gs is not a prospect I relish.

A month or so after the LoadStall went in north of Seattle 20+ years ago, Tom Classen (who was in it) told me he was stuck opposite the open door, pressed against the side of the aircraft, and could not even lift an arm up & suddenly he found himself in freefall outside of the aircraft. He had no idea how he got outside of the aircraft.

JerryBaumchen

Rig, Top Secret or something like this..

Yup. I think so.
Top Secret pic is from an Altitude Shop ad.
This rig would be very uncool these days (aside from its size.) Wrinkles and bumps all over the place, elements that don't quite seem to fit together. But I guess it was popular, at least on the left coast; I don't remember seeing them often in the northeast.

HW

It was a cord links to the plastic reserve ripcord to pull the upper reserve flap because it has a tendancy to stay close. I think it was the same with the Classiflyer, no?
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

I hope you're not jumping from Skyvan's then, they have the same characteristics as the Loadstar did (Bill Buchmann told me this and has flown jumpers in both). They have a line painted in the Deland Skyvan for this reason.

Flying the Loadstar safely (or the skyvan) is about having the right pilot and CG management. Part of CG management for the Loadstar was having the landing gear down on jump run. Bill told me it makes about a 6 ft difference in where 500lbs of wheels and struts are. I believe at least one of the fatal Loadstar events involved non-extended gear on jump run.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

AggieDave, that 411 in Decatur was operated out of the Decatur Airport DZ and was owned by Fred Elsner and I think Bobby Bennett had some intrest in it. After it was sold, rumor has it, that it was shot down in the Nicaraguan civil war while being used as a "bomber". They were actually shoving bombs out the door over enemy positions.:D:D

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.