docjohn

PARACHUTIST cover archive

I'm getting ready to celebrate 30 years of skydiving and came up with the idea to scan all my PARACHUTIST magazine covers and put them on my web site. I joined USPA in the summer of 1975 but since then I've also found old copies of PARACHUTIST dating back to the 1960's.

If you'd like to trek down memory lane, here's the url

http://manifestmaster.com/parachutist
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Very cool.

I started in 1975 too, and have all the same issues. I remember a letter PARACHUTIST received after printing the October '75 issue riling at them for putting a military jumper on the cover. It was a different world back then.

It's funny how we never find the center of things. The total anti-military attitude was wrong then, just as the total pro-military view is wrong now . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Hey John,

Very cool. By the way, there are a couple of broken links for 1967.

And you might want to consider using thumbnails to link to the bigger picture so that your index pages load a but faster.

There are a lot of cool pictures on there. Anyone know if this ever built?

Edit: And 1968,1970 and one on 72,73 and 75
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

the total pro-military view is wrong now . . .

What's wrong with being in support of our military men and women?

Nothing....Key word being Total;)

Too much of ANYTHING (almost) can be bad.

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

What's wrong with being in support of our military men and women?

Nothing... but the constant yee-haw jingoism does get a bit tiring after a while.

I won't say more or I'll end up having the thread moved to Speaker's Corner :$.

edit: Sorry docjohn for hijacking your thread. Your archive is pretty damn cool.

Very nice, thanks!!

Seeing that quite a few of the early 70s ones had the cover oriented 'landscape' mode, was the magazine actually bound like that on the shorter side? Or was it bound 'normal' on the longer side, but just the photo/title are rotated that way?

Awesome! I joined just after you did (my first few jumps were at non-USPA drop zones), but I've given away my Parachutists over the years. I wish I could still look at them, but, well, I really don't miss having all that old paper in my care all the time.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Excellent job. That really brings back some memories. Especially the April 1981 cover. I was there at Livermore when we got to jump the Twin Sikorsky. We were expecting a Skyvan, but got a huge helicopter instead. What a shame, we had to settle for a Sikorsky.
I did the spotting on one load. Once on jump run it seemed like it took forever to get to the spot. I think our ground speed was about 30 MPH. I have most of those issues from late 73 through 1998 boxed up in my shed. I'll have to dig them out one of these days. Thanx again for putting this together.