freefaller76

Recent Para Commander Jumps?

[I wouldn't take that guys post seriously... I think it might be a troll... :o:D
reply]

I agree... The moderators should throw it out....Steve1

No...just make him jump a Tri-Con at terminal in a belly wart;)

How about a Piglet I?:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

One does hear the jokes about the 'boots and helmet meeting behind one's back' on terminal belly mount openings!

That's no joke, it's what it's like, for real! Jump #57, total mal, terminal belly reserve opening. Hard pull on main, both hands in - pulling, was head down when went for reserve; it deployed up thru my feet. Not unlike getting bent in half, backward. Yeah. It stung, just a bit. ;)

Wish I waa 25 and had 50 bucks, sounds like fun...

Dude, you fail to realize a time when, between the time you ordered new custom gear and the time you recieved it, the sport is redefined and your new custom gear outdated. What have you done for skydiving lately???

Skydivingmovies.com didn't seem to have any videos of Para Commanders... so I added one.

On the weekend a friend and I did a CRW 2-stack with a square and my Para Commander. He had done such stacks many years ago. The docking speed was of course a source of nervous anticipation! The attached pic shows the hit, when I'm hidden in/under the square, and the square's tips have swung forward. The square then went back to flying normally, although slightly bent, and flown in maybe 2/3 brakes. We didn't try to land the stack.

Round-square dock 2006:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4976

Years ago in Florida we did a tri-plane with three 28' cheapos

I recall your tri-plane made the cover of Skydiving magazine, didn't it? Maybe someone could post a scan of that, seem to recall you were really hanging out flat on that.

The other Skydiving cover I remembered was Shoobi and someone else cutting away from a stack before hooking up in freefall and then doing crew under their reserves, if I remember it right. Recall that one of them was still holding onto his toggles after he cutaway.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Dumb enough? Hell, the PC was a Cadillac.We thought we had died and gone to heaven when it came out in 1964. Prior to that we used Cheapo's( 26ft surplus rounds with either a 5 or 7 TU cut into them.) Thats when wdi's,spoting and plf,s were a must. No, we were not dumb,we loved to jump and that's what we had. It is my firm belief that the vast majority of current day jumpers would,nt be jumpers if they had to use the gear we had available back then.

Dumb enough? Hell, the PC was a Cadillac.We thought we had died and gone to heaven when it came out in 1964. Prior to that we used Cheapo's( 26ft surplus rounds with either a 5 or 7 TU cut into them.) Thats when wdi's,spoting and plf,s were a must. No, we were not dumb,we loved to jump and that's what we had. It is my firm belief that the vast majority of current day jumpers would,nt be jumpers if they had to use the gear we had available back then.

Hi Larry,
Yer' right!! "We loved to jump and that's what we had!!" Daze gone by it was a hardy sport!! One thing else for sure, what with all the whistles, bells, ground proximity warning and over ride devices, lanyards, Jesus cords and what all, the number of jumpers who think they're "bounceproof" has risen considerably. Trouble is they can still bounce...just as high!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Larry,
Yer' right!! "We loved to jump and that's what we had!!" Daze gone by it was a hardy sport!! One thing else for sure, what with all the whistles, bells, ground proximity warning and over ride devices, lanyards, Jesus cords and what all, the number of jumpers who think they're "bounceproof" has risen considerably. Trouble is they can still bounce...just as high!

The difference is the bounce is under a good canopyB|

Old joke:

Who says skydivers are stupid we invented a whole to way to kill ourselves:D
One Jump Wonder

I jumped my MK I PC of 1970 vintage last December. It's getting old and porous but still performs. I can remember my first jump on a PC - probably 1966 or so - I thought I was in heaven. A quantum leap over my 28' cheapos!

"It is my firm belief that the vast majority of current day jumpers would,nt be jumpers if they had to use the gear we had available back then." I could not agree more...real men jump rounds!!

: Amen Brother. I still have several PC's that I jump on occasion.I can't quite tear myself away from the way it was back then. It's just not the same anymore.
I guess I'm just a dinasour,extinct and don't know it.

I still have my old C9 cheapo and PC, kinda hard to let go of em. The memories are good enough for me. No need to crunch any bones reliving them with a current round jump.

I truly admire the old timers who still jump their rounds now and then. I'll cheer from the sidelines after making a tip toe landing under my Triathlon.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

You are so right! I'll never forget my first PC jump ... light toggle pressures, turned on a dime and actually penetrated a little bit. I never looked back (as though cheapos were anything to look back on!). Not a half-bad canopy, actually, if the winds weren't honking and you had a decent spot. The only real downsides I remember were the pack volume (kinda bulky) and a vulnerability to burn pinholes.

Blue with cu,

Bravoniner

Note the October issue of Parachutist:
Patrick Wiggins, USAF (ret) did his 500th jump to celebrate 40 years in the sport (he deliberately timed them to coincide) on a Para Commander.
He jumps it very regularly at Skydive Utah, and sets it down in the same place, every time.

I admire the hell out of him.

I jumped a PC last May.
It was in a piggybag rig with a square reserved. No AAD. Owned and packed by a Dutch rigger named Roland.
Jump was on 3rd of May 2009 from a Cessna Caravan. Exit alitude 3500 ft.
Skydive Ramblers in Toogoolawah, QLD, AUSTRALIA.
Good times