freefaller76

Recent Para Commander Jumps?

Round is sound, or so they said.

Rounds will pound as I say from over a hundred "firm arrival" landings under a very porous but affordable C9 cheapo.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

That is exactly how I described the ride to others. Very peaceful.
I loved the pendulum effect when turning.
I was suprised after the very soft opening, as I was expecting something much larger above my head. After seeing how long the lines were I realised that the PC was not small...it was just far:P
It was more controllable from what I thought.
I would do another one anytime. It is a great way to start your day:)

Yesterday, 14th November, at Langar, UK

My Mark3 Competition model PC, colour pattern known as "Sir Knight". Noticably more responsive than the Mark 1, even to this novice.

One reason it is more responsive it looks like it has been short lined.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had to shorten the lines on this PC by a small amount - about 6 inches - as it had been trashed at the links with a razor by someone who thought it wasn't going to be jumped again. Other than that 6 inches, I think it was the factory original length prior to that.
Was the 'Competition' model factory made with short lines to help provide the performance that 'Competitors' wanted?

Was the 'Competition' model factory made with short lines to help provide the performance that 'Competitors' wanted?

I was told a PC would oscillate less if it was short lined. Many accuracy people wanted that for competition.

I bought a competition PC a while back. I heard they malfunctioned more, and landed harder than the old mark 1's.

I had it modified by shortening the two long turn slots on the sides. I also had some material sewn over the big opening hole in the center back. All this is supposed to help with openings, and hopefully soften the landings.

I turned 60 this year. I know I'm not as rough and tough as I once was, but I think I can still jump a PC without getting hurt.

My last PC jump I stood it up at a boogie. (I couldn't have done that without my frenchies.) I figured I had to show all the young whipper snappers how it was done.....

I read that one reason the competition PC malfunctioned more than a Mark 1, was because of the big hole in the center back. It wouldn't inflate properly.

I've got over 300 jumps on a mark 1, but I've never jumped a competition PC. Maybe someone who used to jump one can comment on those openings and landings.

I used to stand up my Mark 1 most jumps. That was when I weighed like 140 lbs. and had french jump boots....

I turned 60 this year. I know I'm not as rough and tough as I once was, but I think I can still jump a PC without getting hurt.

A friend of mine does it often. He is 63 and still jumps a PC about a dozen times a year. As long as that PC isn't completely bagged out, a good pair of boots and a PLF will keep you from any real damage.

I am a friend of Beatnik's who just turned 61. I still jump regularly, but gave my PCs to Beatnik to remove the temptation to jump them. Sure, if everything goes perfect an old guy of 61;) won't get hurt jumping a PC, but its all about risk management for me. There is just no way that a PC can give you CONSISTENTLY soft landings. A right sized ram air can do that if you fly it conservatively.

I LOVE skydiving and want to keep doing it until I am 80. My Triathlon 190 lets me down a lot easier than any PC ever did so that's what I am sticking with. I enjoy turning over the old gear to Beatnik, someone who treasures it, actually restores it and jumps it. I'll always treasure my C9 cheapo, Security Lopo and Pioneer PC jumps, but I have no need to personally relive that history. Hats off to my braver cohorts who tempt fate jumping old gear with old bodies.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I am a friend of Beatnik's who just turned 61. I still jump regularly, but gave my PCs to Beatnik to remove the temptation to jump them. Sure, if everything goes perfect an old guy of 61;) won't get hurt jumping a PC, but its all about risk management for me. There is just no way that a PC can give you CONSISTENTLY soft landings. A right sized ram air can do that if you fly it conservatively.

I LOVE skydiving and want to keep doing it until I am 80. My Triathlon 190 lets me down a lot easier than any PC ever did so that's what I am sticking with. I enjoy turning over the old gear to Beatnik, someone who treasures it, actually restores it and jumps it. I'll always treasure my C9 cheapo, Security Lopo and Pioneer PC jumps, but I have no need to personally relive that history. Hats off to my braver cohorts who tempt fate jumping old gear with old bodies.

We should get a big load together to do PC Water jumps into McGregor Lake at Lost Prairie... then you do not have to worry about landing your poor frail old body on Terra Way too firma.

Get Beatnik to bring his collection.

Nice thing about McGregor Lake is it is crystal clear... very clean... and the top 15 ft is pretty warm in the summer during the boogie at the end of August:)
Its very dry then and the gear drys out very quickly... hell it even comes out cleaner and fresher after you give it a chance to wash all that closet stink out of the old gear:ph34r::ph34r:

Hi andrew & steve1,

I made my first jump on a Mk I PC ~ Nov '64.

A number of years later I short-lined it 48"; that is what you did in this area. B|

A number of years after that I converted it to an exact copy of a Comp PC. After jumping it for a season, I converted it back to a Mk I. Both conversions were a lot of work; but it does rain a lot here in the winter. :S

I first met Gary Lewis in the summer of '66 and we were fairly good friend in those days, although I have not seen him in nearly 35 yrs. We did compete against each other for many years at a lot of meets.

I disagree, from my personal experience, that the Comp PC malfunctions at a higher rate than the Mk I. The Mk I is more stable but the Comp puts you right down onto the target in a steeper descent; more like what the accuracy folks are doing today.

With the larger holes/steering slots/etc, IMO the Comp does come down a little harder/faster. But having taken 4 ft off of my Mk I, so what.

Just my thoughts . . .

JerryBaumchen

PS) I 'understand' that the ParaCommander Handbook was Gary's Masters thesis when he got his MBA. ;)

Get Beatnik to bring his collection.

I am afraid I don't have a vehicle big enough to bring all the rigs plus I am still young, dumb and indestructible so I still land them on the ground. Plus some of it is pretty much brand new or brand new like one of the Delta IIs I have.

I have access to a twill parachute. That could be good for water landings if it would make it to that point without self destructing first.

Hi Beatnik,

I have access to a twill parachute.. . . without self destructing first.

Back when Dan Poynter ( who also is a very curious type of person ) was working for Strong Entr. & they were testing the StyleMaster rig they decided to Strength Test an old 24 ft Twill canopy. It held together.

I've taken one that I owned to terminal twice w/o damage. B|

JerryBaumchen

Back when Dan Poynter ( who also is a very curious type of person ) was working for Strong Entr. & they were testing the StyleMaster rig they decided to Strength Test an old 24 ft Twill canopy. It held together.

I should take a look at it closer. But for some reason I have really no desire to jump it, which is strange for me since I will pretty much jump any canopy. Mind you it would be interesting jumping a 62 year old canopy. It would beat my current record by 5 years.