freefaller76

Recent Para Commander Jumps?

B| You got that right Bill. No worries about 2200 ft exits. The downwind landings were somtimes a little hard.
I remember the garbage loads in the 60's. Usually last load of the day or all day with low ceilings. Team stack everybody out one pass at 2500 ft. Cost $2.00 per jump. Can't remember what I had for breakfast but I can the past good times.

Don D130

it belonged to a guy who used to jump with me and my team. He never really used it much, and I phoned him and he said I could have it for $$....not too much. Its already in a container and harness, and since I still have a front mount reserve, I'll get some use from the PC next summer.

He also has some other stuff, and I'll make him an offer....and Im sure he wont turn me down.

I think the PC is the church window color scheme

Bill.;)

I have a 23 foot piglet that I bought from a rather large guy 15 years ago. It still only has about 20 jumps on it. The rig is still like new although ancient. (stone-age tech really)

I'd hate to give it away and have it turn into a car cover. anybody want it to jump? You don't have to jump the rig. The reserve is an out of date navy conical.

jon

When was the last time anyone seen someone jump a Para Commander? Anyone know of someone jumping one recently (the past few years)? Given that they were last manufactured about 20 years ago is it likely that there are any still out there that are jumpable? Just curious.

I usually try to get a 2 or 3 round jumps a year in. Just for the giggles of it.

My last jump on a Para-Commander was at the 2003 World Freefall Convention in Rantoul. Awesome 3 way with a PC in a Mini-System, a RW PC in a Wonderhog, and myself with a PC in a Wonderhog. Mike Mullins provided the spot and I landed in front of manifest.

Rig details: 1981 Relative Workshop Wonderhog container, 1978 Strong 26' LoPo reserve, 1966 Pioneer Para-Commander main. Main packed in d-bag with lines stowed on the underside of the bag and the crown lines stowed on the top side of the bag. Throwout 36" pilotchute in BOC pouch.

For what it's worth, I have another PC that needs a small bit of patching and it'll be airworthy again. And there's the 28' Flat 7TU that I used to jump till I got my over 40 weight gain.

My other rigs have more conventional canopies. Stiletto 150, Batwing 134, blah, blah.

Yes, I will load out the PC as long as you get the proper training on round malfunctions and landings.

Till later
Hank Ellis

My last PC jump was Sept 14, 2003. I landed 1 meter from the peas. Before that was July 13, 2003 and in the peas. Also April 19 and twice on March 29 (both in the peas). March 8th was another PC jump for 6 jumps last year. I average about one PC jump every two month.

My rig is a Stevens Sport Rig with three pins on the back and a chest reserve (was 26" Navy Conical but now a 26" LOPO). The reserve has adjustable risers so I can carry it on V-rings just under the shot and a half capewells, or D-rings in the lower (standard) position. The reserve has two cones that swivel, so the ripcord can be right side pull (normal) or center (pull towards your chin) this is preferred by jumpmasters because it is less likely to snag something and be pulled. The center pull also has the advantage that when you pull it with both arms, they are now covering your capewells (prevent the reserve pilot chute from catching them.

The chest strap is just velcro. It does not go around anything, just hook from one side and pile from the other. It freaks most people out, but remember, I have a chest reserve holding me in.

I like going up to some young jumper with 1000+ jumps and asking for a pin check!

It is fun to jump, often other people on the load like to use me as a space ball for canopies, and fly their squares around me. I am very careful who I let do that! I land in the peas on about half of my jumps.

Only trouble is that the local packers refuse to pack anything that is older than they are!

Blue SKies,
Ralf

When was the last time anyone seen someone jump a Para Commander? Anyone know of someone jumping one recently (the past few years)? Given that they were last manufactured about 20 years ago is it likely that there are any still out there that are jumpable? Just curious.

from the richmond boogie "annual all round ways"
photo# 1 richmond boogie 01 7-way
photo# 2 richmond boogie 02 10-way (sorry no air shot)
2003 annual richmond "all round way" rained out...
2004 12 or more?????B|

nice pics.... wierd to see a picture like that that was only takena few years ago.... sorta like a clasic car race..lol... never have got to jump a round yet , but have aquired everything for a rig.... just need to get some rigging work done and hopefully it will work out.. anybody got a spare pc they wana sell????? think it would be nicer to jump than the 35ft surplus i got... (mc-1c)(not sure if the 35 ft will fit the cntainer ihave.......

p.s. anyone know where i can find a pair of shot and a hlaf capewells at???

know where to get shot and half's

Man that's old technology, you need to get some modern cutaway capewells, R-3's dude... LOL

P.C. for sale? nope,But I know where there are a few to use for a jump, but they get spoken for kind of quick at boogie time. If you show up we'll save you oneB|
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

nice pics.... wierd to see a picture like that that was only takena few years ago.... sorta like a clasic car race..lol... never have got to jump a round yet , but have aquired everything for a rig.... just need to get some rigging work done and hopefully it will work out.. anybody got a spare pc they wana sell????? think it would be nicer to jump than the 35ft surplus i got... (mc-1c)(not sure if the 35 ft will fit the cntainer ihave.......

p.s. anyone know where i can find a pair of shot and a hlaf capewells at???

If you are serious, PM me.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

We recently unpacked a PC that had been packed up for over 20 years. The sleeve was rotten and will have to be replaced, but the PC still looks jumpable.

Ed

Hey Sparky~

Got any old Blast Handles you wanna part with?

I had a few way back when...

Drilled them all out so a screen could go in,
(cough...cough!);)
came under the heading of 'paraphernalia'
so I dumped 'em when i 'grew up'

I need 1 or 2 for a little project in the shop.B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I still have a "screened" blast handle. :ph34r:
Threw of a bunch of old equipment away in a dumpster about five years ago, Paradactyl, Light Cloud, Guardian Piggyback, Thunderbolt jumpsuit, a set of three Bev jumpsuits, etc. but just couldn't part with the blast handle.:)
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Hey Sparky~

Got any old Blast Handles you wanna part with?

I had a few way back when...

Drilled them all out so a screen could go in,
(cough...cough!);)
came under the heading of 'paraphernalia'
so I dumped 'em when i 'grew up'

I need 1 or 2 for a little project in the shop.B|

Hey Jim,
Let me check around the shop and see what I can come up with.
By the way,why would you put a screen in a Blast handle?:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had the pleasure of jumping some vintage gear just last month 04/24 while visiting Skydive Wayne County in Richmond,IN.
I jumped a military surplus B-12 H/C with a 28 Jumbo ParaCommmander, belly wart reserve with a 28 Navy Conical. The jump was a three way round which we did as for a Rodriguez Brothers initiation jumpB| and was way too much fun!!!!!
There are alot of old timers and folks who jump vintage gear there and every year at the Richmond Boogie they do all round loads, plenty of vintage gear in their loft.
alot of the younger up-jumpers were telling me I was "CRAZY!" and that the gear was dangerous, that the opening/landing would be very hard, ect ect.....
The opening/landing was brisk but not hard and the rest of the up-jumpers tales of foreboding were just a matter of tall tales and hype.

As for date of manufacture and airworthiness its all a matter of proper care and maintenance of gear. The date of manufacture on the reserve was 1957, I personally got to see the rigger A.I.R the chute and I trust the rigger because he jumps the gear too, if he or any other rigger familiar with such gear says its airworthy then I'm good to go with it.
To answer your question there is alot of jumpable vintage gear out there and folks who jump it:)

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I jumped a 24' Paracommander on June 5th at the 5280 Boogie/Pioneers of Skydiving.

Used a 3-pin sage green container, chest mount reserve (with pilot chute), Pioneer double-zipper jump suit, and Bell Star helmet. I tried on a pair of French boots although they didn't fit so I wore my Han wags - otherwise the whole experience was very retro.

Plenty of fun, surreal to be under canopy without much wind or forward drive. The landing looked and sounded bad (I sat down more than PLF-ing) but wasn't uncomfortable.

I'll do it again sometime but will not trade my Samurai 105 for a PC.