Ron

Stupid things I have done

Jumped in conditions people wayyyy more experienced than I were were sitting down in. Sleet, huge gusts, you name it.

Jumped a Cobalt 120 @ 200 jumps, when my main was a spectre 150.

Mos tof my behaviors after hours.

__

Did my second sit (training jump with a coach, ~#60) without a wrist alti, only had an audible. Fortunately it was stable and I kept my eye on the coach and he gave hand signals (planned during the 15 min 182 climb) for 8, 6, and 5K breakoff. I heard my audible at 5, but sometimes I worry about trusting it.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Rushing to get on a short call, omitted gear check and jumped with cypres off and RSL improperly connected (would likely have prevented a cutaway). Thankfully the RSL problem was caught on jump run. :S

Lesson: Rushing to make a short call usually isn't worth it - I've since become a lot more conservative about hopping on short calls.

Leaving the otter at 14k with my helmet unbuckled. Of course the wind sucked it off my head as people were pointing at the strap. Luckily it found its way back to the DZ parking lot that day without doing any damage to itself or anybody/thing on the ground.

Lesson: Check all straps & buckles on jump run - not just the "important" ones.

Jumped in winds so high

I've got one of those ...

I can't remember what jump # it was, but somewhere around 60-70 jumps, I jumped my Triathlon 220 in 25+ mph winds, and got blown all over the ground once I landed and my ass was dragged through a cactus field and I picked up a couple of hundred of those prickly things along the way all over myself. :S:S:S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Around jump #500 was stoked from a great pond swoop the jump before. Went big on the next one for the sunset swoop and chug contest, and got complacent since I was over H20. I ate it pretty good, flipped through my risers. Was unharmed, but would have severely injured myself over land.

Previous Mr Bill story and teathered fights aside....

At 50 jumps, I landed between a building and powerline on a windy day.
.... Collapsed my Sabre at 15 feet.

On one of my first RW coach jumps, I tubed my student (who I thought was doing really well) at 7000'.
.... He let go of me under 2000'

At 300 jumps, I thought tracking in the old style sit suits was a better plan than dumping when I saw someone under me.
.... Struck his canopy in freefall.

About the same time I tried to impress a student friend by hooking a swoop past him. 10-12 mph Down wind. No outs. Obstacles. Runway.
.... actually ground down the soles of my shoes skidding!

Hooked behind the downwind side off a building.
.... almost a broken ankle.

Left my gear next to a sprinkler on the Y2K jump at Skydive AZ and soaked the gear.
.... did the night jump anyway to "Airdry it"

Came up with the "fruitloop" exit for cessnas.
.... now banned at some Cdn DZs.

Jumped a "kneebrace altimeter" (my own invention) and found out they don't work with baggy pants.
.... open at 1000'

Fixated on a student under a streamer and forgot about pulling until his opened.
.... opened, flight check, turn, land.

Tracked with a jump run.
.... opened between two freeflyers.

O.K. my fingers are tired and this is the tip of the iceberg.
Me smarter now!:S

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

jumped over a residential zone big houses we knew there were places to land but no one had been down to check the place , so we just did some head down over the place , opened and each one landed were he decided ,I saw a big space near a gas station but didnt noticed a small wire fence , until i was swooping , just went over it and stalled at the other side , and tumbled over some stones.

swooped into into a motocross course nearly hited two dirt jumps the one in the enter of the swoop for one foot and hited the one in the end. then decided the place was to tight.

Trying phyco pack I packed my main with a line twist , then jumped it from an ultralight at 2500 feet over a lake nearly at night without altimeter and had pilotchute hesitation because of the low speed exit.

Jumped in winds so high

I've got one of those ...

I can't remember what jump # it was, but somewhere around 60-70 jumps, I jumped my Thriathlon 220 in 25+ mph winds, and got blown all over the ground once I landed and my ass was dragged through a cactus field and I picked up a couple of hundred of those prickly things along the way all over myself. :S:S:S

This is one thing I did smart: I got out when we thought the winds were fine. I saw ugly clouds coming generally our way but they were many miles away. (OK, maybe that part wasn't the smartest.) Turns out gust fronts don't have clouds; I was at 1,100 feet for over a minute because of the weird winds. I managed to sashay it out of the monster updraft and into a steady level wind just faster than my normal forward glide. I double-front-risered it so I would land barely inside the huge student field, disconnected my RSL at 50 feet, flared slightly and chopped the instant my feet hit the ground (which was also the instant I started leaning over backward).

I saw the wind in the grass from 750 feet and knew I was going to be dragged hard and fast. Just being a few seconds ahead and thinking about what I was going to do made it a lot easier on me.

I refused to go back up the rest of the day, even when they said the winds had passed. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I jumped my Thriathlon 220 in 25+ mph winds, and got blown all over the ground once I landed

Had a beauty with that myself!
Jumped a demo into the Canad In stadium with 25 mph winds. One guy in a mascott outfit bounced his head off the Home Depot parking lot!

The first dumb move was made by the pilot. When we saw how far the DWI drifted we asked him what the winds were. Even though we were jumping 2 miles from Winnipeg Int'l Airport, he decided that the LAS in the stadium would have more insite than Air traffic control!

Our mistake, we believed the pilot when he said the winds were 11 gusting 14 when our eyes told us we had 2 miles of drift!
Nothing scarier than drifting backwards into the stands with weight bags and flags hanging from you, knowing your only out is the top of the next building cause the parking lots' full of cars!
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

around 250 jumps or so i decided that i was going to be cool and swoop the beer line like all the cool kids did. I was so fixated on the target that i initiated my turn around 150'. I dug so hard that i gained altitude about the time my knees, shins, and tops of my feet hit the ground on the other side of the runway. Went back into the air and let the toggles all the way up, flared and landed standing up (barely). DZO saw me make turn as he was driving down the driveway and just drove out to the landing area to see if someone needed a ride to the hospital.B| VERY humbling experience to see your friends running out to you with horror on their faces.[:/]

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Had just downsized to a Curisair, 200 sq. ft, and went up for a night jump. Rather then land at the target area I was going to dazzle my buddies and land in the packing area in front of manifest. (Perris) Where the chain link fence is now there was a fence make of telephone poles. Well guess where I landed, on the fence. Broke both ankles and dazzled my buddies. B|
The good news, when you break both ankles you don't wear out one tennis shoe.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I put down my bag in the middle of a pack job to go show the video I'd shot on the last load. Came back and the pack job was kinda kicked around. I thought "Hmm, this must go . . . this way", and packed it all up. Next load, cutaway. What a knucklehead!

Another time, on a boogie in Costa Rica, we had to move down the aisle of the Twin Otter on jump run, past all the other jumpers. I didn't protect my rig well enough, and the pin on my pullout got popped. I climbed out front float, and looked down to see my pilot chute laying on the leg of center float! I blasted off the Otter before my main opened, just like I teach in the FJC, so everything worked out okay, but. . . protect those handles.

Oh, one more. Tracking back to the DZ after a tracking dive, I saw a friend's canopy way down there. No problem, I'll be in front. Track, track, track, oops, the canopy is flying straight at me, PULL, grab toggles, here comes her canopy, pump, open, kick her canopy, and fly away. Land, confess, and apologize like hell.

This is a great forum, a lot of things to learn.:)

The good news, when you break both ankles you don't wear out one tennis shoe.:P

LMAO!

Dry and unexpected.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

At about 250 jumps I left a helicopter at 5,000ft. I was in the saddle under my Sabre at about 900ft.
At about 300 jumps I downsized and went elliptical at the same time ( Ron was irritated ). I put about three jumps before I hooked it, lost control and left a giant skidmark through another jumpers brand new canopy.I saw him but didn't think I could swoop that far, I was wrong.I scared the hell out of both of us, an he was pretty pissed (rightfully). He has since forgiven me.
At around 500 jumps, I went with a highly experienced jumper to land in a place I had never seen before:P
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

1. took at 2 way out of a biplane at 3k in the middle of cloud..to busy geeking the camera and was open at 1200 (no cypress)..then made the mistake of spiralling in to land so it made it look even worse then it was (great way to get grouded)

2.Accuracy comp. a mixture of target fixation and complacency caused me to hook it in...broke my back

3. on a 4 way comp we were the only team to willingly exit after a shite load of black rain clouds formed benieth us on jump run... wasnt that stupid but man it hurt and we got drenched...

#1 At a hundred jumps went from a canopy loading of 1.1 to a loading of of 1.4 and simultaniously 1.6 both on elipticals. In retrospect perty dumb although I've gotten away with it. Others in the same boat were not so lucky. Now I'm in no rush.

#2 250 ish jumps. Low altitude, regular rate turn but over water and not being able ( due to sheer lack of experience ) take into account the "mirror effect" of a smooth waveless pond and the brite reflection of the afternoon sun. Plowed straight down in it.

#2 An incorrectly rigged bird-man base style bridle resulting in a cut away. Not scared at the time but NOW not very keen on having anything in tow in a wingsuit deployment.

Easy lessens learned in retrospect all could have been mortally more expensive.

your not a safety nazi; just a safety conscious person. glad you made it!

Yep...i have survived several really good fuckups.

I want people to learn from my mistakes so they don't have to risk getting killed to learn the same lessons
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I want people to learn from my mistakes so they don't have to risk getting killed to learn the same lessons

People I think the point of this thread is to realize that if you do not learn from the mistakes of others you will not live long enough to make all the mistakes on your own. Some of us made mistakes and survived, who knows why. Others made mistakes and died. Its simple, learn why they died and don't go there.
I don't love or even like every one I've met in this sport but I have never met anyone I disliked enough to want to see them get hurt/die because they did not have the information to make sound decisions. If you have the information and still make bad choices, life can be a bitch.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hmmm, On jump 56 I started Climbing out with an absolutly TERRIBLE spot of mine - most embarrassing part was the pilot reached out and stoped me - I still hear about that from a few people... :P

I've gone low on a couple 8-ways, a 16-way, as well as a 32-way. :)
Went out and jumped a Powered Parachute into some farmers field with a buddy of mine. the Local S&TA did NOT think that was funny... :o

Jumped a Sabre2 120.
=========Shaun ==========

Just this weekend, landed from a jump. Here I am, packing my canopy, when a whole crowd of over 60 people come in to the hangar to debrief the new Canadian RW record (congrats everyone) and stand all around, almost on, my packjob. Hrm. When they're more or less gone, I quickly wrap the packjob up. Quick enough to almost forget to cock the PC and fuck up my line stows, having to redo them. All this to make a short call. Needless to say I repeated my emergency procedures several times on that ride up.

So me and my buddy get out for our sitfly practice. After lots of orbiting, I track away, and with a yell of "OPEN!!!" I throw the PC. It opens, whew. Noone but buddy anywhere in the sky. But now that buddy is too close for comfort. He doesn't see me, so when I try to spiral below him, he spirals with me and I can't shake him off. I fixated on him so badly that I forgot to set up for my own landing. At ~700 feet I turn to final and realize that I'm way too long. Go into the deepest brakes and I'm still going straight for power lines. So what do I do? Instead of sashaying, or just plain turning around, I try to find an out instead. Turn 90, trees! It's now 300 feet and I'm under a Stiletto in a very tight LZ. Flat 90 turn, going straight for 3 parked Otters! Wait, there's a small gravel road off to the side. Make a slow carve at 60 feet, good thing I learned my slow flight controls, I'm downwind with speed from the carve, no time to turn, this is it, gotta land, scared, yell out "Mommy!" and flare high. Tumble, dirt, gravel, ouch. No breaks or tears, but my knee still hurts.

Don't do that.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Around jump number 150....I wore weight for the first time.

I took out, not ONE, but TWO 8 way skydives.

After the first one they didn't want to jump with me again, but a buddy got them to give me a second chance....

When I hit them the second time it soulded like a bowling alley.

Add weight SLOWLY....and on SMALLER dives.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Very recently I tracked (90 degrees off jumprun, which was good) straight for a cloud because I love the visuals and the sensation of speed when falling through 'industrial haze' :$.

While I was in said cloud, I remembered the gliders circling the DZ.....:S

This made for a couple of exciting seconds, but fortunately there were no gliders when I regained eye-contact with mother Earth.

I won't be doing that again anytime soon...
Rainman