Ron

Stupid things I have done

People I think the point of this thread is to realize that if you do not learn from the mistakes of others you will not live long enough to make all the mistakes on your own

Yes, but also:

1. Don't be afraid to admit you made a mistake. It takes a big person to admit they screwed up, a small person to hide it and make blame. You can only learn the lesson if you admit you need it.

2. Realize that you are going to make mistakes...Everyone does...It is a natural part of learning.

But yes the biggie is to learn from the mistakes of others...you will not live long enough to make them all yourself.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The week after my first chop (Spinning in undeer bad line twists that I couldn't get out of) I was playing about with the stall point on my canopy when it totaly stalled. The slider came down over my Z1 I couldn't see a thing, didn't realise what it was and almost filled my pants! :$
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

OMG, how in the world did I miss this thread.

Ron, thanks for sharing your mistakes. If it leads to one person learning, it was worth it. It takes a big man to come out and admit their mistakes. You are truly amazing. Thanks!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Experience: 170 jumps
Experience at the DZ at which I found myself: 0
My main canopy: Triathlon 175 (square 7 cell @ ~1.3:1 wingloading)
The main in the rig I borrowed: Jalapeno 108 (elliptical 9 cell @ ~2.2:1 wingloading)
Deployment sytem on borrowed rig: Pull-out (my first)
Exit altitude: 2100 feet w/ very poor visibility.

I didn't get hurt, but man that was stupid! First jump at a new dz, first jump on a pullout, first jump on an elliptical, first jump at anything remotely close to that wingloading, and all from 2100 feet with an awful lot of "haze".

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

:$
Aha!
Well, I'll work backwards.
Jump #244 Tired and restless being at the DZ on a beautiful day and not jumping I got on a load even though the winds were still a little gusty(stayed on the ground for this reason most of the day). doing a solo last one out of the plane good 8 count cuz the pilot said the uppers were gusting 15 - 22. The spot was pretty long but figured I could open round 4000 and have no problems getting back. Well guess the two way ahead of me noticed the long spot as well and decided to open higher. I came out of my ff style series at about 6000 and saw two fully inflated canopies direclty below me, got all nervous and went right to my belly(did not track off) and pulled at bout 5500. Made it back to the DZ no problem but for some reason was so worked up about the peeps being directly below me(and the way I handled it) I landed like a moron directly on the runway! Was yanking on my canopy to deflate it and saw the plane coming directly for me. Ran INTO the wind with my half inflated canopy to get off the runway! Thank god the pilots saw me and I didn't end up as road kill. Everyone at the DZ was so cool with me but I was so pissed at myself I started bawling like a baby and have decided I need a LOT of RR before I decide to go skydiving again.

Jump#103 Left my helmet on a bench with my alti inside it while packing, someone must have walked by and accidentally knocked it off the bench. Rushed my pack job to hit the sunset load grabbed my helmet and ran to the plane only to notice when I got on that the hand had fallen off inside my alti. Thought to myself "no problem I still have my dytter, and my eyes, all will be well". Was sick and tired of getting the really long spots because I was practicing freeflying and pulling a lil higher. I decided I wanted to get back to the DZ this time so decided I was pulling lower, then got in an argument with a bloke on the plane about who should exit first(as if it would REALLY matter). This guy is pretty experienced and has a MUch higher wing loading than I. Well, didn't reset my dytter because I was too busy trying to get out sooner....Decided to do a two way with another low jumper on the plane(just to get out sooner) get to the door I'm counting the other guy gets set up and jumps WAY too soon after a flat flyer. I watch him pass the flat flyer in the air then jump out after him still too soon! the whole sit jump watched the belly flyer drifting above us while trying to signal to the guy I'm jumping with that he is there. Decide to scrap it and track off as far as I can and dump. MY DYTTER DIDN"T go off! Seems the battery had come loose on it. Never got on the plane since without checking both repeatedly!

Jump#19 Cutaway because of a spring loaded student pilot chute under my canopy, got so freaked out couldn't remember how to land went past the trailers and turned into the wind and went through a short bush and landed five feet from a trailor.

Jump#13 I'm supposed to be spotting, a bunch of experienced guys on the ground tell me to look for the x on the ground(they have their spots marked) I decide that if it's that easy to not THINK and just look for the X. Door opens and I look down i see the DZ ahead of us and an X below us smile at my instructor and climb out. My instructor tried to grab onto me and I did a backflip off the strut. cut up my instructors hand unbeknownst too me. I have a spring loaded pilot chute go under my main It was pretty windy and inflating a bit but I had no control problems. Flew the canopy right back to the DZ shut off my radio and landed. I was grounded for two weeks.

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

I downsized from an F111 220 sq. foot canopy to a 150 in a day. Well, not really a 150 even; it was a Safire 1 149, which I later found out was really closer to a 140.

I made one jump on a 190, 3 on a 170, and then jumped my canopy. Yes, I had 1100 jumps, but it was still stupid. Good thing I'm really good at PLFs, because I did a lot of them.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jump 200 ish. fogot to un-collapse the slider while packing. and jumped it. whammo!!!!

I got a story.....

Well I go to a new DZ, I have maybe 30-40 jumps.

The local skygod comes walking by me sitting in the packing area and throws his rig at me and says "New fuck, pack this".

At the time I was an innocent 20 year old trying not to make waves.

So I packed it......

Everone is busting my balls for packing his rig when he ordered me to...

He lands from the next jump yelling and cussing...He comes running into the hanger everyone wants to know what was wrong...He says "That son of a bitch didn't uncollapse my slider!!!"

The whole DZ busted out laughing at him, and congradulating me for sticking it to him.

I asked him if he wanted me to pack for him again with an evil smile.....

The truth? I didn't know I had to uncollapse the damn slider...But he didn't know I did it on accident... NEVER fucked with me again.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

First jump into Warburg, Alberta: did not know what DZ looked like until after opening.

Z-Hills Easter Boogie: hook turned my Strato-Star twice, bruised my knee and bragged about it in front of a load organizer. Next morning I had to explain to DZO Jim Hooper why he should not ground me.

Target fixation, at night, under a Strato-Star 180. Sprained my ankle. I limped off the DZ and repacked. Was annoyed that Spaz refused to jump with me on the second load. Drove myself home. By then the adrenaline had worn off and it took a painful half hour to limp across parking lot.
Didn't walk again for two weeks!

Visiting Valcourt, did not know why they ignored a local jumper when they invited me on a demo into Brome Lake (the town, not the lake, silly). First guy out had a really scary flag arrangement. Winds were stronger than I expected and my Strato-Cloud 230 was slow to begin with. I made it into the baseball diamond, just barely! Draped my canopy over the fence!

Demo jump into another baseball diamond, only this time it was in Northern New Brunswick. We did a pass at 1500 to look at site, then climbed to 2500 for jump run. Lots of clouds at 2000. I recognized a church near the site, gave it another 10 seconds, then leaped out first. I remember hanging under canopy, in clouds, doing slow circles, thinking "Larry is going to kill me if I miss!" Came out bottom of clouds a long way from baseball diamond, but still did a graceful stand up landing in the outfield.
The plane circles five more times, but no one else jumped because none of them could see the baseball diamond. We all spent Sunday night in town because it was too cloudy to fly the plane home.

Fast forward 8 years. target fixation under Shrike 210, sprained same ankle again. Kept my mouth shut and machoed my way through the last dive of a PFF Instructor Certification Course.

How 'bout this: :$

Swapped canopies 'cause I thought I'd need something bigger then my Lightning 126. Most of my stuff is on reversed risers (I have a PdF Atom).

In the plane @ 2000ft: check 3rings. W*F?! I'd connected one riser the right way, and one upside down (these were regular risers). Great......... One of the guys I was supposed to be filming offered to turn it 'round in the plane, no thanx.... Rode that one down.

On the ground, let canopy owner check canopy, he turned the riser around, was sure it was okay. Didn't re-pack it :$

Guess what..... Next jump I'm under this big (well for me) 150 Tri, with one riser twisted all the way round. Oh well, it flew okay-ish and landed fine.

Note to self: DON'T DO THAT AGAIN :$:$:$

ciel bleu,
Saskia

At ~100 jumps I did a couple of jumps with a borrowed Stiletto loaded @1.4 in a borrowed rig with a new to me pull out system just to "check it out."

At ~100 jumps landed on the frontage road between the power lines and the freeway. Not smart, but one of my best landings ever. Must have been the pressure not femur myself or die either. ;)

Jeff

At ~100 jumps landed on the frontage road between the power lines and the freeway. Not smart, but one of my best landings ever.

My first night jump ever.....pin pointed the landing area on the dummy jump run pass with the help of another lowtime jumper....didn't realise someone had corrected her just after she explained it too me.
Turned out the green light that was sposed to be the top of manifest was a land boat storage yard. ended up doing a very tight landing pattern into a 300ft x20ft area surrounded by power lines right beside the highway. Stood up my landing with my nose inches from the barbed wire fencing. canopy went over the fence. Had to climb the fence get the canopy back over as it was the only way out. Found out an hr later that there is usually a guard dog in that storage lot!
:o

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

At around 200 jumps.

I was a sit pilon for an indy 500 race. We decided that it would be nice if the pilons had about 8 feet of 2 inch webbing to hold out as streamers.. I tied a loop in the webbing and put it around my hand.

So you guessed it.. At deployment, the webbing wrapped up in my lines and gave me a horrific opening. Lucky I didn't mal...

So there I was with one hand stuck up in my risers with webbing that you could tow a car with... Finally got my hand out of the webbing, but I couldn't get it out the lines before landing.. Spent so much time trying to fix it I landed ~significantly~ out..

Lesson: ANYTHING you add to a skydive has the potential of killing you...

Thanks Ron, for starting an informative and enjoyable confessional. For my biggest gaffs:

- Student rig, watched a snivel for over 10 seconds before it finally opened about 1500 feet. I had lost altitude awareness, was so busy willing it to open that I forgot about everything else. Got yelled at for that one.

- About jump 12 on my nice new canopy, came in fast over an uneven farmer's field and tried to run it out. Lost my ACL.

- After my first FF coach jump, tracked off and looked at alti, was lower than expected so rushed my pull. Flipped over on back, saw bridle snake past my arm and main open between my legs, pulling me into the splits. Could barely walk for two weeks.

- "Forgot" what I'd been taught about pulling the slider out of the pack job, got away with it for dozens of jumps before being slammed. Sore back & neck for weeks, and the pain in my chest makes me think most of my organs were bounced around a bit too.

- Low turn to avoid a fence, fortunately only damaged my pride, but was spoken to about that one as well.

- Decided to try stalling the canopy at about 2000 feet, ended up in a diving spin with line twists and lines wrapped around my hands so I couldn't cut away. Kicked like mad to get out of it.

- Just this past weekend, thought I was ready to touch down and dropped my left toggle to collapse the canopy. Flew another 5-10 feet (straight!) before really landing. Thankful for large, not-so-high performance canopy (Sabre2 170).
...Blair.

- Did a demo jump from just under 1500 ft. We never got high enough to activate cypres. Pulled the main, a vengeance 120. All went well but never again.

- Thought I could do 180° front riser hooks at 150 jumps. Was lucky and got away with a very sore elbow.

- Struggled with a bag lock due to double stowed rubber bands all the way down to 1500ft. I finally got it open by yanking the risers and managed to get out of the 6 lines twist very quickly. Should have chopped.

- On my VX 99 due to a long spot, I used the rear risers to just make it back to the DZ. At 100ft I realized I had not released my brakes either. Nicely stalled the canopy landing with the risers. Sore backside for a few days.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Had a bag lock once around 500 jumps....I grabbed the risers and yanked like hell on them...

Now I know that will not work. The amount of force being put on it by the PC is MUCH more than I could ever put on it.

It cleared by luck...But I took WAY to long to mess with it, could have easily NOT cleared, and I wonder if I would have reacted fast enough to survive.

New plan...I don't like what I see and its GONE.

Had a bag lock once around 500 jumps....I grabbed the risers and yanked like hell on them...

Funny to hear you say that. I got shit from a bronze world champ medalist for NOT doing that during my bag lock around 400 jumps.

Maybe I should have stopped to take a picture while I was burning through 2 grand. I mean bag lock's a slow mal, right :S

New plan...I don't like what I see and its GONE.

One that has served me well.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Once decided to demo a 98 sqft canopy. I hooked it up to my rig and started packing it and noticed it was a bit small. I checked the label and saw it was a 78 sqft :o
I unhooked it and got the 98 sqft model. Packed it and jumped. It opened and went into a wild spin that I was just barely able to hold straight by countering with a rear riser. I could not see any popped brakes so I chopped.

When we recovered the main we discovered it was ....
Yes, the 78 sqft version :$

Lesson learned, check what you hook up to your rig is what you think it is.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Jump #32, with a container that is too big for the main I've got in it (no one had discussed the importance of a tight main closing loop with me, and it was rental gear).

Our two-way backloop exit caused some loose bridle to flap around, enough to dislodge the main pin. The guy I'm in a 2-way with gets a horrified look on his face, then I feel the bag lift off my back.

Having just made the transition to a throw out, and having never been introduced to the idea of a horseshoe on a throw-out, I pulled the cutaway handle without even trying to get the PC out of its pocket first. Fortunately, the PC was stowed on the belly band and it cleared when the main went away. Might not have been so lucky with an ROL.

Shouldn't have rushed that transition jump, but that's another story.

Amy

Maybe I should have stopped to take a picture while I was burning through 2 grand. I mean bag lock's a slow mal, right

Just so there is no misunderstanding, with a bag lock you accelerate. Like Ian and Ron said get rid of it.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Don't expect to learn a lot from this...but it was stupid!

Log Book #1
jump #85 July 28 1996
Exit Alt 3500'
Delay 15 sec
Winds yes
Dist to target TFTM

Entry
4way blender Bob Al Andy Me
Everything your not supposed to do!

======================================

From memory

Tropical storm Bertha...rain no jumping, eye, lets go,
take mike on first 4 way:)every one climbs out as planed...shitting pants now...
rain light to moderate...funnel exit...star with 2 face to earth
and me and Al on our backs...brake off 2500'..track(steep delta)
away???? until 2000' ...wave off...then see what a real track looks
like close up! turn track again(bob 2 times in place)
check Alt-II chest mount 1500'...wave again...dump( nasty old gear)
..line stretch 1100'...rain light to moderate...hook in field
...7 cell tree top level...slide in wet grass...sit on tailgate
of truck(yes one came) holding wet gear...slip off, on to road
as soon as truck moves(2 of us)!
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.