gale

I can't land.

Canopy skills? OK. I would say five out of six good, and then the sixth is well, not. Either over shoot in no wind, undershoot in high winds. It happens. I can do flat turns, and other canopy stuff (up high, as is mandated by the solo-lisence in Canada) After talking to some local skydivers they seem to think it would be OK to try a tri 220 even though I can't stand the Mantas. One girl said she thought there was maybe 1000 jumps on them. Tough to dial in a good flair under those conditions? I have a while before it gets here and hopefully things will omprove before then. I'll post what happens this weekend.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

"Two of the three injuries I've gotten from skydiving were landing related (one bruised tailbone and one sprained ankle). "

At 250 lbs flying the manta 288, Kapowsin was not used to students getting so much performance out of student gear so it took my ground instructors a while to learn where to tell me to flare. It got to the point where the DZO talked me through and had me flare WAY too high...(15-20 feet or so) thinking that the effect of the flare would be relativly slow...well it wasn't and I PLF'd from about 18 feet. More than once this happened. The rest of the time I flare low, and swoop about 25-30 feet with my butt inches off the ground and I have to ride it in that way. On one of my landings I was trying to adjust to fly into the wind but my instuctor told me to fly straight, so I did. When I flared I got nothin, and I didn't expect it and I landed on my butt and bounced a few inches too, then slid about 6 feet. That makes the 5th time I've broken my tail bone to date!

**The most helpless feeling I've found is that point when you realise that you flared too high...it's almost comical for a moment.

we're talking i've only landed well on about 30 out of 230 jumps.

Did I mention that they used to come out to the landing area specifically to watch and laugh at my landings? I think my stand up numbers in my first couple hundred jumps were about the same as yours... they figured I'd never get it.

So when I say if I can stand 'em up, anyone can - it's the truth! Visualize... visualize.... visualize... and work that positive mental attitude.

I'm used to having a broken tail bone, believe it or not, it doesn't hurt much. hehe, you should have seen the x-ray though on the first break...HILARIOUS! I wasn't even being xrayed for that hehe I didn't know about it until then

After talking to some local skydivers they seem to think it would be OK to try a tri 220 even though I can't stand the Mantas. One girl said she thought there was maybe 1000 jumps on them. Tough to dial in a good flair under those conditions?

It sounds like you are going to several people for advice... Which is very good. No one person has all the answers in this sport. Learn from absolutely every source that you possibly can. Just be sure to weigh each bit of advice according to it's source. It will give you a better perspective on what people are telling you... As a case in point, an 8 year old boy gave my rigger (who has years of experience) a completely new way of getting broken rubber bands off a D-bag last year... It works like a charm and she unabashedly tells everyone where she learned the trick...

The canopy being worn out could be an issue, however it depends on when you are flaring and how much... Do you have a propensity to flare low or high? In other words are you finding yourself in a full flare, still 3 meters off the ground? If so a brand new ZP canopy would not save your knees and backside from grass stains. Same with a flare that is way to low.

What is going through your mind during your final approach? Nothing? Are you nervous? Focused? Are you aware of traffic around you? Are you breathing? If it is a mental issue, there are thousands of techniques that would be beneficial... You just need to find one that works for you. Visualizing is incredibly important as Skybytch has stated. However, in order for it to work, you need to make sure your mind isn't running wild on you.

Just food for thought...

Dave

A preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with.

As a case in point, an 8 year old boy gave my rigger (who has years of experience) a completely new way of getting broken rubber bands off a D-bag last year... It works like a charm and she unabashedly tells everyone where she learned the trick...

What's the trick?!
Skydiving is for cool people only

What's the trick?!

Hmmm... I wonder if I could get beer out of this... ;)

Actually, I should have wrote that sentence as "a completely new way to her (and the rest of us)." It is doubtful that this is a completely original trick, but an 8 year old did expand the horizons of sevreral people well into middle age with years of skydiving experience...

The trick is so simple it is rather embarassing...

Simply take your pull up cord and feed it through the loop holding the rubber band. Then saw it back and forth against the rubber band... It usually takes 4 or 5 strokes and the rubber band will pop right off... I have yet to see this trick fail.

As far a being up at the DZ, Phree, it will be Sunday if at all... H and M are getting close to getting their rear deck finished, so I'm helping them out tomorrow. Besides the weather report looks iffy at best.

Dave

"Sir you are drunk!"
"Yes madam and you are ugly. However, tomorrow I shall be sober." Sir Winstion Churchill

The best packing trick I've learned yet is how to get the stow bands through the grommets on overstuffed D-bags.

Use the pull up cord to pull your stow band up through the grommet, then you can put your thumb, fore and index finger in the rubber band with ease to get the first few line stows started.

I have very big hands so getting rubber bands through those itty bitty grommets on my J1 is a toughie. This helps out lots! ;)

Most of the people use the closing pin to pop them off it seems.

I just grab one side of the broken band (the longer side) and give it a quick hard tug, they usually snap below the knot and fall right off after that.
I'm using skybands so it should be easier on normal bands.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Dave, how were you guys removing rubberbands before this handy bit of information crossed your path?

Usually by pulling on one side of the broken band, or by using a small pair of scissors to cut the band, being careful not to knick the D-bag.

Please note, that I added the disclaimer that the trick was probably not truly original or new... Just that a few other people and I had not thought or seen it till that 8 year old boy demonstrated it. As I stated before... Learn from every source you possibly can...

Phree: I have a problem with using the closing pin for anything other than what it was designed. Any knicks in the metal could lead to a premature failure of the closing loop and then you have a horseshoe to deal with... I may sound picky, but remember two people died two years ago because a micro line got caught under a grommet!!!! So little things count.

Dave

Remember, YOU are UNIQUE!!! Just like everybody else.

Phree: I have a problem with using the closing pin for anything other than what it was designed. Any knicks in the metal could lead to a premature failure of the closing loop and then you have a horseshoe to deal with...

Uh, how much damage can a rubber band do your closing pin? If the answer is 'even a little bit', I suggest you find a new closing pin or maybe some new rubber bands..

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

As a lot of other people have said, it might be the canopy as much as it is you. I did a couple jumps on a manta 288 and found the ineffectivness of the brakes to be almost scary. Flaring barely did anything at all. You might want to try another canopy. I did most of my student jumps on PD230s, and those feel like a ferrari compared to the manta. And when you flare, they stop. If you get the timing right, standing up the landing doesnt take any thought or skill. You're basically stopped when you touch down.

Dave

As promised I will reply how this weekend went, in a word: well.

I think the advice that many people gave me about confidence is accurate. I haven't actually been able to "stand" on landing but it's not because of my technique it's just because of fear. All the good technical advice can help you flare but only your mind can make you stand once you get down. Video tape and people watching helped. It confirms that I'm doing things right, it's just my fear stopping me. I'm thinking any jump now I will fight that last moment fear and just stand. I can say with everyones help on here, I managed four good, on target, landings in a row. It's gone a long way to boosting my confidence. I'm happy with the progress even if the landings aren't perfect yet.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I'm a student and I'm jumping a PD (PA??) 270, and I'm a lightweight. 65 kgs + gear. I've got about 20 jumps.

Usually I'm pretty good with landings, its the falling bit thats hard ;)Out of every 5 jumps, I'd probably stand up on 2, fall over on 2 and PLF 1.

That said, I had my first brain mal on landing this weekend. In about 5-10 kn winds, went to flare 1 (toggles down beside my head) too early. I recognised this and held it, but when it came to continue my flare, I let up and landed, or collapsed would be a better word for it. Nothing broken, but I still don't know why I did it...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I'm no authority on the subject, but when I was a student I had trouble landing the 290s. But once I downsided to a 260, then 230s, 220s and 210s I started standing up my landings (and I weight about 205 lbs without gear). So how was all this possible? Because the student 290s that I was using were F-111s with thousands of jumps on them and they couldn't flare worth shit. So is this the same problem you're having? Does this 270 you're flying having thousands of jumps on it and can it be properly flared?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I "had" the same issue. I was standing up my landings fine. I switched to a knew chute, and bit the dirt. broken wrist, and now can't jump. I am nervous to try again once it heals, because my confidence is shot. I know I just have to think possative, and all will be fine. You too.. You can do it, and so can I.

c

When I started downsizing through the student gear at my DZ, I noticed the flare getting stronger. I realized, though, when I went from the ripcord PD260 to the BOC PD260 and found a huge difference, that it had a lot to do with the jumps on the canopy as well as the size of the canopy. They have one PD190 in a somewhat small harness/container which sees very little use. It flies and flares like a ZP canopy.

Unfortunately, since the big canopies were all tired, and the smaller ones were much better, I could never tell if the smaller ones were easier to land because of less use, smaller size, or both. I've heard a few people say they had to downsize until they "found a canopy they could land," which worries me a bit.