adventurechick

Elsinore Vs. Perris

I'm going to venice beach, california for the weekend for some surfing, hangliding, and skydiving. I can only go to a dz one day over the weekend... and my choices are in between Elsinore and Perris.

Which one do you prefer and why? Are either of the dropzones known for more turbulence, less outs, small landing area? Thank you guys!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Are either of the dropzones known for more turbulence, less outs, small landing area?

The weather is getting cooler, so the afternoon turbulence at both will be less than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Both DZ's have miles of open space with few obstacles. If you choose to land in the grass "main" area at each, the first person down from a load sets the landing direction. When winds are light, the wind indicators may do a 180 while you're under canopy. If you don't want to land the way the first person did, land way off the grass. This literally could be a matter of life or death in avoiding a low altitude canopy collision.

At Elsinore, if the winds are out of the south, there will be some turbulence from the buildings just south of the DZ. Land way out and you'll be less likely to encounter it.

At Perris, the grass landing area can get very crowded. Land out in the plowed up dirt areas, and Tim will be there in the pick up truck to drive you back to the packing area. You'll probably get back before the people who landed in the grass and walked back. Just remember to tip him at the end of the day.

I think the view on the ride to altitude at Elsinore is prettier, as it's closer to the ocean. On the other hand, Perris has the Bomb Shelter bar & restaurant. Too bad you can't make it to both. You should have fun at either.

Blue Skies!

Harry L.
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

When I stayed in Venice last Christmas I went to Perris, I think youd like it there, nice simple layout of the landing. Seemed strict on the pattern and safety (my perception) and helpful very experienced jumpers. (However I did land on a sheep , but that was my poor judgement, the moving cream colored landing area didnt send a warning flare to my head until it was to late)

I also heard great things about Elsinore, If I am not mistaken they arent far from each other, maybe you could do the morning till lunch at one DZ then try the other afternoon to sunset.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

What are you looking for in a DZ ??
Both are great.
In my opinion :
Elsinore is more "rustical", family oriented
Perris is more for "people from the city"

I really liked both, but I think you won't have people complaining that it's FREEEEEZIIIIIING when it's 65-70 of your degrees in march-april in Elsinore. You'll find those in Perris though, if it's not too cold to go to the DZ.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

That could play into your decision either way--cool but crowded.

Well, the packing areas will be busy, but, you wont be in the air with all these crazy people... ;) We'll have formation loads with only us on board, and you would be jumping in between those loads.

Just wanted to make sure you dont missunderstand the crowded part!
Remster

Perris is hosting the "Top Gun" 100-way sequentials this weekend. That could play into your decision either way--cool but crowded.

And Elsinore is hosting an Excel camp this weekend (assuming we're talking about this upcoming weekend - 9/23), which is a great free learning opportunity.

http://www.skydiveelsinore.com/teams/EXCEL/basic_camp.html

All that said, I have had a great time as a visiting jumper at both DZs. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

(However I did land on a sheep , but that was my poor judgement, the moving cream colored landing area didnt send a warning flare to my head until it was to late)

How did I miss this story? :D:D:D

This explains much. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I haven't been to Elsinore yet, but don't forget Perris has the wind tunnel. Perris has some space for non-jumpers to hang out, such as the Bombshelter bar and restaurant and the pool.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I'm going to be bringing my uncle with me wherever I go, he doesn't skydive, but he's a really cool, laid back, surfer guy. Which place has an area he could chill out at?

Both have plenty of "chill space" for your uncle. :). She and the rest of the folks who lead the Excel camp make it such a fun learning experience you can't help but enjoy yourself. If Steve doesn't have you laughing your ass off within two minutes of meeting him, he has clearly been hijacked by aliens and replaced with a cyborg.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just to mix things up even more: Flyboys Film Festival 19-23rd in Perris.

Remi, we were trying to be nice and not say it. But you've forced it.

Gail, avoid Perris at all costs. You might run into Remi.:P

I'm on the phone with Elsinore right now! The Excel camp sounds awesome!!

It is. I'm 450 miles north and I made several treks down to do the camp (and visit family). I think it's the better choice for you. But Perris (esp with the events) might be better for your uncle. And visiting both is best if you can.

Perris has that small patch of grass that everyone wants to land on. Elsinore, otoh, has a larger patch that often everyone avoids, and instead all aim for the same adjacent field.

Elsinore does have some funky wind sheer that makes the canopy feel crazy at 2500. It gets better lower.

Perris does have the skyvan in addition to the fleet of otters. Bring the earplugs!

Seriously, though, I can't recommend the Excel camps enough - the fact that I have the world's largest girl-crush on Mel Curtis only mildly distorts my view of things ;). She and the rest of the folks who lead the Excel camp make it such a fun learning experience you can't help but enjoy yourself. If Steve doesn't have you laughing your ass off within two minutes of meeting him, he has clearly been hijacked by aliens and replaced with a cyborg.:)

I love the world's largest girl-crush! Hell yes, gf! ;) hahaaa So are you coming down for Chicks Rock??? Ok, back to the thread at hand here... Gail, great to talk to you today! I'm happy you've decided to come out for the Excel camp-- of course I think you will get a lot out of the day-- fun, info, friends, freefall-- the works. Your uncle should enjoy his tandem (hopefully he'll make one!), and the laid back vibe on the DZ-- we have our snack bar for food and drink, and bring a blanket and he can chill out on the grass in the shade with a book, or watch landings, or whatever. :)

How did I miss this story?

Not sure, for a month after I told everyone the story. It was good fun to explain how one falre turns to try and not hit the sheep ... which by the way are much bigger then one thinks.

Have fun Gail whichever one you choose
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Due to my lack of rides to the dropzone, I won't be able to jump this weekend. My uncle only has access to a motorcycle and I do not want to wear my rig on the back of it, in fear my parachute might open while we're riding on it. Sorry guys, I'lll come back out again sometime!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233