CanuckInUSA

Wing loading your reserve

I would really like to upsize on my next reserve. My current reserve loading is about 1.3. The landings on an F-111, 7-cell that I have little experience flying stink while I'm awake and flaring, so I'm sure it'd be really terrible if I wasn't.

PD113 @ wingloaded 1.8-2.0 depending on my current weight.
Rode it three times and it lands like a special type of dream in no wind. Its like one of those dreams where you see the ground coming, you know you're going to fall and you know its not going to hurt but the grass stains your about to endure have you already pissed off in the air even before it happens.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

With all this talk about wing loading your main, I was wondering how some people were loading their reserves at. I'm currently loading my reserve at about 1.1, but in approximately four months or so (assuming I have the $$$, am injury free and have done the 100-200 more jumps I anticipate), I will likely be buying a new container and the wing loading for that container's reserve will be going up. :S

This is one issue that's a sore point with me. I have a couple of mains that I load over 2:1, but the reserves in those rigs are 1:1 or less. That's a 99 in the main pack tray, with a 218 reserve.

A reserve is not just another canopy.

You may be using it because someone broke your collarbone in a furball on exit, and YOU CAN'T FLARE! You may be otherwise injured such that you can only ride in with the brakes still set, steering by shifting in the saddle.

You may be over all sorts of interesting things and very low, as a result of the reason you pulled silver in the first place. The runway necessary to swoop in your tiny reserve without injury may be simply unavailable.

You may have your vision obscured by blood on your goggles or in your eyes (been there, done that).

You may be alive but unconscious under your reserve, but succumb to an uncontrolled downwind landing (it's happened).

I have NEVER been under a reserve and looked up with the thought "ah, I could have gone smaller...."

If your container is too small to get a reserve that will save your life, get another container.

When you're deep in the beeps, you have had enough near-death experiences for one day. You don't need to be trading one emergency for another.

Blue skies,

Winsor

main wing loading is 1.53 which is a safire 189(174)

my reserve wing loading is 1.2 Dash-m raven 218

I'm very comfortable with my wing loading on my reserve. I figure if I can put my main anywhere I please(and I can even down wind) then I will not have any problems with my big old reserve.

marc

PD Spectre 150 at 1.5
PDR143 Reserve at 1.5

I demoed the 143 and landed it fine, and then I had a chop from under a spun-up Spectre on my back and landed it fine (Jump 488).

I strongly encourage people to demo jump their reserves. My stuff is pretty conservative, and I'm no swooper so I thought I might be one of those folks with 3000 jumps and no reserve rides. When I had one anyway I WAS SO GLAD I had "done this before" and had landed that reserve.

I'm also glad my Spectre and the PDR are similar in flying characteristics. I think the difference between a 27 cell cross brace and a PDR might be pretty extreme. I will never know.

What type of rig do you have? Was it specially made for your setup?

Your basic squareback Racer Elite, 400/400 cu. in..

The reserve fits just fine with a CYPRES, and the main is controlled by the closing loop. Being crossbraced, it packs bigger than its size would indicate.

My other Elites have 175 and 200 sq. ft. Swift Plus reserves, but I think bigger is better.

Blue skies,

Winsor

PD Spectre 150 at 1.5
PDR143 Reserve at 1.5

My stuff is pretty conservative

Ehm is it? I suppose most people'd jump a stiletto at 1.5 instead of a spectre, but still, 1.5 in my book is not really conservative... Definitely not for a reserve, either.

But then, I've got all of 335 jumps.... :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You are absolutely right.

That is not conservative wingloading. I was thinking about my Spectre versus a Velocity in terms of conservative.

Performance on everything available is very high, so maybe there's really no such thing as conservative. Just very fast and mach.

My main and reserve are both 170, loaded at about 1.15. I intended them to be about 1.05, but I couldn't work out due to an injury, and got a bit tubbier. Fifteen pounds can make a huge difference to WL. I'm getting back in shape now, but when I get a new container, I'm going to upsize my reserve to a 190. Should I be worried about a 170 and a 190 in a two-out situation? I'm assuming that a larger reserve would be more beneficial than any hypothetical advantage of compatible canopies in a less likely situation.

As an aside, does anyone have an opinion on the newer reserves, the RavenMax and the Smart? Part of me is thinking that you can't go wrong with a PD, and other part is thinking that technology marches on and the new ones could be better. Thoughts?

Rig 1:
Sabre 150 @ 1.33
PD126R @ 1.58 (1 ride, will be changing to a 143)

Rig 2 (backup):
Monarch 175 @ 1.14
Swift Plus 175 @1.14
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Another consideration is flight characteristics and line lengths of both your canopies. Smaller canopies have shorter lines.

If you have a 2 canopy out situation it's nice when both canopies have similar flight speeds and levels during a side by side or biplane. I'd imagine that well matched canopies would be less likely to downplane on ya.

Currently I have a 149 (1.34:1) main and a 170 (1.18:1) tempo. I'm thinking about downsizing my reserve to more closely match my main at my next repack.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I have a PD 113 that I will be loading at 1.7 to 1.8 and a PD 126 that I will be loading at 1.6 to 1.7 depending of the time of the year (summer lighter winter heavier). I'm not going over the maximun weights on the canopies.

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito