rendezvous

Airlines and Skydivers

Try here, or here, or here, or here, or here, or here...

That should get you started. (Hee hee... I think this topic has been beaten to death. Thanks for looking for links, and not just starting another thread. :)
And here's the text from uspa.org concerning the issue:

What are the airlines' requirements concerning parachutes and automatic activation devices as carry-on items?

The U.S. Department of Transportation establishes a list of "dangerous goods" that require special handling or packaging to be carried on board a commercial airliner. Most airlines simply choose to restrict all such items. Apart from that list, every airline is free to set it's own policy with respect to what else can or can not be carried on board. Nearly all commercial airlines allow a rig as either a carry-on or checked item. However, most airlines also prohibit rigs with a "CO2 cartridge or compressed gas cylinders" (referring to older types of automatic activation devices). Airtec has secured from the U.S. DOT a finding that the Cypres is not a "dangerous goods," thus permitting airlines to allow a Cypres-equipped rig if they choose. In practice, very few skydivers are being denied boarding with their AAD-equipped rigs.

Here are traveling tips. For starters, pack your rig in a gear bag or piece of luggage that will fit the size requirements for the airline. Avoid external stickers, pull-up cords and anything that would identify the item as a rig. (Problems seem to occur most often to those who carry a rig over the shoulder, or pack their rig in the airport.) Arrive early at the airport and proceed through the security checkpoint (the x-ray machines). If stopped at the security checkpoint, try to explain to the security agent whatever it is that has caught their attention. Explain the reserve, and if necessary the AAD, and how they were packed and sealed by "an FAA-certificated rigger." If unable to proceed, ask the security agent to call a representative from the airline on which you are traveling. The airline agent should be able to produce a section from an airline operations manual that lists items both allowed and restricted from the airplane. A "parachute" should be listed in the allowed section; and the "parachute with CO2 and compressed gas cylinders" should be on the restricted list. Explain and show that your rig is not the latter. If still unable to proceed, you can ask to appeal to the airplane's captain, who can make a final decision about the carry-on item. If still refused, go back to the ticket counter and check the rig (that's why you arrived early.) Know that the maximum compensation for lost checked items is $2,500, though you can purchase excess valuation.

If you encounter problems, please contact USPA with the date, airline, and airport and the substance of any discussions.

After the September 11 hijackings, are skydivers still allowed to take their parachutes as carry-ons?

Since September 11, USPA has received only a few, scattered reports from skydivers whose rigs have been denied either as carry-on or checked baggage. We have heard of a number of skydivers traveling with AAD-equipped rigs without a problem. However, it can be assumed that security agents and bag screeners have increased scrutiny and may question or refuse a rig, whether AAD equipped or not. Skydivers are urged to arrive early to the airport, and be prepared to pack the rig as a checked item, or package the rig for parcel shipping, if refused at the security checkpoint.

Skydivers who experience difficulties are encouraged to report them to [email protected].

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I would not worry about this too much. I have not only taken my rig as carry on, by itself not in a gear bag, but have done so with the hook knife attached to the leg strap. I did not hear so much as a peep from the security guards. I did this in San Fran, Chicago, and New York. Both before and after 9/11.

The fact that I have carried on a hook knife multiple times is, in fact, a little disconcerting. Oh well.

The fact that I have carried on a hook knife multiple times is, in fact, a little disconcerting. Oh well.

Know what you mean. I accidentally had a knife (actually a dagger) in a carry on. Took it through La guardia and Chicago O'hare. Didn't say anything...Kinda worried me

in vino veritas-
(there is truth in wine)

I carried my combat folder (Spyderco Endura, ful serrations) in my pocket on my last two flights. Now, that was before 9/11, but still, it has a 3 1/2" blade and could do a whole lot more then some stupid little box cutters.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you have a cypres remember they cannot go through the security X-ray. There is something about it that can effect the computer chip in the cypres control unit. There is an x-ray card provided for this reason to show security. Most importantly BE NICE TO THE WUFFOS don't get all bent out of shape if they get all stupid on you.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Cypres can go through the X ray all day long. The card is just to explain what they are looking at since it does kinda resemble a bomb with a remote release on x-ray. I've ran mine through probally 20 times this year alone.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you have a cypres remember they cannot go through the security X-ray.

This is entirely false. There are no issues with having your cypres equipped rig x-ray'ed.

You can (and should!) read the manual here: http://www.pia.com/SSK/cypres/english_users.pdf. I'd specifically suggest page 49.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If you have a cypres remember they cannot go through the security X-ray. There is something about it that can effect the computer chip in the cypres control unit. There is an x-ray card provided for this reason to show security. Most importantly BE NICE TO THE WUFFOS don't get all bent out of shape if they get all stupid on you.

Photo film in the X-ray machine would be a problem, your Cypres would not.:)
Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Where does one get a Cypres card?

One should have come with your Cypres. If it did not, or if you bought one used and the owner lost / forgot to include it, contact the US office of SSK and they can get you one.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I'm sure you're right but I still turn mine off just in case.

Something else to think about it to turn off your audibles. They are quite loud, and nothing will freak out your fellow passengers more then a rapidly beeping luggage compartment shortly before landing.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've travelled with my rig with no problems. X-ray will not harm a Cypres. Go to the SSK website and print out the Airtec letter that explains that Cypres is non-dangerous goods and have it with you. Act like a frequent flier. Put your rig in a kitbag. Make sure it meets the airlines size requirements. Don't mention a thing about it to the security people unless asked and then be polite and explain it to their satisfaction. Most of the airports that have dropzones nearby have security personell that are quite familiar with what rigs look like. Here's a hint that most people wouldn't even think of. With the popularity of digital cameras etc. Take a picture of the inside of your reserve container at your next repack , get the Cypres cutter and Cypres unit wiring and all and the reserve pilot chute. It seems the pilot chute also spooks some of the x-ray people. Download them to your computer and print them out and put them in your kitbag with your logbook. You then have more documentation for the security folks if they question it.

My Cypres is going for it's 4yr maintenance Monday and I took some pictures of it in my Mirage and uninstalled and downloaded them to my computer and will print them for the above mentioned purpose.

Pack your hooknifes and assorted tools in your checked bag.

I found that flying with your rig is so easy in fact in Atlanta in November I just put my rig through x-ray and grabbed it at the other end and I don't think the guy running the machine even looked at it and if he did he probably seen enough of them that he knew what it was. I've had this happen several times now.

The Cypres folks along with the USPA have liasons with the TSA people to try to iron out kinks to make flying with our rigs easier. The Director Of Safety for Southwest Airlines was one who worked with Cypres to get the DOT Approval for our Cypres AAD.

Cheers

Chris

dot_pr_082500.pdf