dbattman

Do you wear earplugs during the climb?

Speak up there son!
I can't hear you over the engine noise!
About 2,000 jumps ago, my boss noticed a hearing loss and suggested that I start wearing ear plugs. My hearing has only deteriorated a little since then.
I have a set of fancy Sonic 2 ear plugs, but for convenience sake usually wear the cheap orange ear plugs that come on a string. I tie the string onto my goggles so I can find them when I need them.

It's never too late to start wearing hearing protection in the airplane.

If you think you don't need earplugs because your ears have toughened up and you're used to the noise, all that's happened is that it doesn't hurt any more. The hearing loss continues.

Mark

Only in Skyvans (or other equally noisy planes).

I don't bother to take them out for the freefall either if I am wearing them. I find it cuts down the "white noise" of the wind and I can hear my audible more clearly, albeit quietly. I find clarity more usefull than volume. Of course, this requires me to be extra vigilant under canopy as it's difficult to take them out without damaging them when wearing a helmet.

I wear em. I have started to notice that I put the TV volume up a bit more than I used to, especially after a long day of jumping. I read a great article in an old parachutist about the decibel levels of regular otters...and it said that prolonged exposure to regular otters (dont think that there were too many super otters around at the time it was written) was bad for you.

I have a bit over 1300 jumps and have not noticed a problem. Is it really recommended by the veterans? Maybe I should start.

You will not notice a problem because the loss is gradual. It happens from riding in any airplane, including the so-called quiet ones. Do yourself a favor: get your hearing tested, and start wearing hearing protection.

Mark

I started wearing mine about 20 jumps ago, but i only wear them in our 182. I jumped all this new year from otters, king airs and porters and never wore them because the climb was so fast and not as noisy. I've noticed though that by wearing them i can actually hear more in the plane now and don't have to yell

In short yes.

The attenuation (the amount of noise reduction) provided by your helmet could be tested on the ground. Easy in principle to get a rough estimate. You would need access to something that can measure sound levels.

To measure, play white noise (static or your free fall video with wind niose) and adjust the volume until you can barely hear it - measure sound level (dB )
Repeat while wearing the helmet.
While not precise, it would give you a reasonable guess.

Prolonged expoure to > 90 dB will cause damage.

Damage is proportional to length of exposure and intensity. Read this for info.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/2001-157.pdf

I wear them not so much for noise protection (freefall/plane noise etc.), but becaue my ProTrack is so loud (to me) even on low volume (full face Z1 helmet too).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I have a bit over 1300 jumps and have not noticed a problem. Is it really recommended by the veterans? Maybe I should start.

Harry

Here's how it is.... your inner ear has a bunch of tiny little hairs that change the sound waves into mechanical energy which triggers the nerves, and all that. what happens when these little hairs get to much amplitude in the sound (i.e. loudness), they fatigue and break off, enough of them do it, and you lose that pitch range in your hearing. 80 Db is the threshold for industry (well, it's around there anyway). Basically if you have to shout to be heard, it is over the threshold and you are doing damage to your ears. damage to your ears is not reversable (the little hairs don't grow back). It is wise to wear a good earplug.

OK, so I am thinking I need to go purchase some good earplugs.

Where might I look for them?

Recommendations and why?

drug stores have them, and they are rated in noise reduction levels. it's on the box typically. do not buy the wax ones, they can get stuck in your ear canal. and, of course, there is a right and wrong way to put them in. The ones they supply at the wind tunnel are middle of the road as far as plugs go.

I see them in drug stores and similar places but they're rather expensive- $2+ for a few pairs. Your gear store might sell them for $0.25 (like Skycat) or you could ask around- some jumpers might have extras.

They should be comfortable in your ears- some of them are like sticking a piece of plastic in there. The yellow foam EAR plugs are good. My preference is for the ones that have a cord- they don't get lost as easily.

The higher the noise reduction the better- probably no less than 26 db, but some go as high as 30+ db.

When I was falling timber, I always used the small foam ones that you crush up and then cram in your ear. I still use them sometimes for shooting. I'd think they'd work fine for skydiving. I need to remember mine next time. Noone wore them in the old days when jumping. That's partly the reason why I say "what", every few words, when having a conversation. Steve1