bodypilot90

paid pack job chop, lost main

You would. You jumped it, you lost it, all the packer did was provide a service (since you could'nt be bothered to do it yourself) of putting the material in the bag.

Besides, loosing a canopy is hard to do after a search even with miles and miles of corn aka Canopy and freebag eating monsters around.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would. I choose not to pack for myself; I accept any and all risks involved with the pack job.

Last year a packer gave me an opening so hard that it broke lines on my canopy. Not only did I not expect her to pay for repairs to the canopy, I paid her for the pack job.

"You pays your money, you takes your chances."

On the other hand, this brings up an interesting business opportunity. Would you pay extra for canopy insurance?

Perhaps some enterprising packer could do well by charging, say an extra $3/pack for "insured packing". They could guarantee to pay for lost or damaged canopies.

If I were such a packer, I would probably limit my liability with a deductible, and pro-rate the value of the canopy by its age.

This offering would have several advantages for a packer. It shows personal confidence in their work, it incentivises their performance, and it brings in extra income. As well, it silences complaints from those who choose not to buy the insurance then suffer a loss.

If I were a packer I would require my customers to sign a waiver regardless.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

If you use a paid packer and you have a packing induced mal and lose your main, at your dz who would pay for it?

If you couldn't find the main how do you know it was a packer induced Mal? Please explain.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Absolutely no question, it's your loss.

Some packers charge an extra buck and call it a 'guaranteed pack job'. In this case, it's questionable. My understanding is the extra buck covers a possible repack, plus sometimes a masseuse showing up at your tent at WFFC. I've never heard of a main getting replaced in this scenario.

If the packers offers "packing insurance" - like Packing Kathy, I can see there might be an argument to be made. If the don't, or you didn't ask about their guarantees beforehand - I can't see how you could possibly expect the packer to cover it.

I frequently pay packers, and I accept all the risks that come with that. If I didn't want the risk, I'd pack for myself.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If I pack a mal, I'm paying for the repack, though. As for a lost main? Although I would love to be able to cover that, there's no way in hell I could afford it (shit, I'm still paying of MY gear).

As with the case with a cutaway we had weekend before last at my DZ (no, I didn't pack it:)before it landed, off the DZ in my truck. I also watched the main come down (couldn't get to it in my truck, fences/buildings, it actually landed ON a building).

So, the staff packers DO care. B|

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Tip packers? Why? Do you tip the person at McDonalds? Do you tip the person that shovels your driveway? Do you tip your pilot, who is way more deserving of tips then anyone else since they have a lot to lose?

If it takes tips to get a good pack job then ignore that packer, if tipping gets your rig packed faster then ignore them since they are treating other people as not as important, if tipping is required then just have the price reflect that.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As a packer, I rarely get tipped. I don't expect it, either. Although, if I'm busting my ass so someone can make 8 loads that day and make the debriefs, dirtdives, etc. Then it would be very nice, but it is not expected.

With that said, I still put the same level of excellence into my packjobs if you tip or not, but once again I think that's simple because I'm one of those people who take extreme pride in their work.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Why has noone filed a lawsuit against a packer yet ? Or has this been done allready ( sorry had to ask) Are there any written rules concerning paid packers. I wouldn´t know since everyone packs their own here. (only sometimes we throw a beer to a friend if were too tired) :S

I'll pipe in here a bit late.

After 10's of 1000's of pack jobs I completely understand tipping a packer. I always tip my packers if I use em. But that's me. If I decide to, generally they do me a favor. I also ask them to tell me if They have time because I'm just being lazy and i'll do it myself. VERY VERY seldom do I complain if it opens funky. I've yet to cutaway my own pack job but that's besides the point.

If you lose the main, you buy a new one.

(you're off the hook ;)Dave )

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

>VERY VERY seldom do I complain if it opens funky.

I tell them if it opens funky. If I don't tell them, how will they know? It would be a shame to have one packer go out of business because all her pack jobs open funky due to some 'tip' she got from a rigger, without her knowing why no one used her any more.

Besides, loosing a canopy is hard to do after a search even with miles and miles of corn aka Canopy and freebag eating monsters around.

it depends on the dropzone. so far in january, we have managed to lose 3 mains and one freebag. in all of those instances, they happened to be packed by the person jumping it. in the past year, 2 of the packers lost a main they were jumping, but I don't think we have had any losses packed by a packer for someone else.
if you lose it, you pay. the packers do their best, but are not held responsible when shit hits the fan. hell, the last person to chop one of my packs actually bought me beerB|