andy2

Student Rigs...how long do people normally use them?

Im on level 3 AFF and have of course happily used the student jump suit and rig, and will for a few jumps after I graduate from AFF. My DZ has a policy that lets you jump their gear for free if you made every level with them, so using the gear after I graduate AFF school isnt a problem. However, how long do most people jump student gear? Is it a problem with doing multiple jumps in a day? I want after I graduate from AFF when the jumps arn't 100 bucks each to do like 5-10 jumps every weekend. Would they kinda be frowning on me using their gear that much? I don't want to be an asshole and take advantage of a nice offer, but then again, I am a poor ass sonuvabitch...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

That's a really great program your DZ has, and I'd take full advantage of it. By spending a little time, you should be able to find a rig that really suits you for a decent price. Having the luxury of not paying for rentals while you look means that you can spend more time figuring that out, and then looking for it, as well as getting your canopy control skills such that you can buy something that's not student-sized to begin with.

If you go on too long, they'll begin to "encourage" you to get your own gear -- you'll find that paying students get priority on rig usage. Also, if you decide to travel, you'll want your own gear.

I'd just be up front with them about your plans, and ask them if it's OK. They'll appreciate the candor. Then maybe ask for their help in finding gear, and if they broker a good deal for you (or simply act as inspecting agents in a transfer), then make sure there's something in it for them. It's how you return a favor to a business.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

However, how long do most people jump student gear?

Generally, for the entire skydive...

I, like yourself, do not have much money. I'm a college student with a severe addicition to skydiving. Infact, I didn't get my own rig and such until after I had my D number. I had been borrowing gear for a long time. It wasn't student gear, but the concept remains the same.

Basically, I just had to bite the bullet and buy gear, so I went into debt, got a new credit card and bought the gear. Here I am 7 months later, I've got most of my gear paid off and am happy with the decision I made to get gear.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

One thing you may want to keep in mind...In most DZ's the actual students get priority on the student rigs. So if they are busy you may be SOL...:D

Just a thought

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

How many jumps you do on student gear is usually determined by how many rigs are in their rental/demo program.

Better DZs have a few smaller rental rigs for PFF graduates. For example, Pitt Meadows has two rigs with Skymaster 230 mains and two with Hornet 190 mains. The Hornet 190s proved so popular that we have ordered two more Hornet 190s. As soon as students demonstrate consistent landings under Manta 290s, we start stepping them down in size, so that by the time they have 24 or 36 jumps they are seriously considering buying gear in the 170 - 150 square foot range.

If your DZ has a large gear store - like Square One at Perris - then you usually transition to rental gear within your first dozen jumps. Square One quickly steps you through a variety of canopies with the intention of selling you gear as soon as possible.
If your school will let you jump student gear as long as you like, then take advantage of their program until you have learned everything that you possibly can under a Manta. Just remember, that when the school gets busy with students, you will be sitting on the ground.

The worst scenario occurs on small DZs that don't have any rental or demo gear. Graduates at those Ds are forced to buy 170-ish sized mains with no transition training. Even a handful of jumps on a 230 can vastly increase survival rates.

Jump free gear till you get tired of it. It's probably best to have as many jumps as possible before buying your first rig. You'll have a much better idea of what you want later on. If you were paying $50/jump like I was on student gear, I would say go buy something cheap. But you've got a really good deal there, so use it till you can't stand to anymore. When you're just itching to downsize or have been bumped off a bunch of loads cause a student needed the gear, then maybe it's time for something else.

Dave

The degree of competition for the student rigs is something that needs to be taken into account. If there are tend to be a lot of students at your DZ on a regular basis, then you may find it difficult to get a hold of a rig some days. One thing that can help is if you know how to pack. I remember when I had just finished AFF but wasn't up to speed on packing, I would see lots of student rigs available but not yet packed. Of course, you could always pay someone to pack one for you, but that adds to the overall expense. Better yet (and not just because it's cheaper) is to learn to pack early on. ;)

Good luck, and whatever you decide, have fun!

I only did 10 jumps on student gear. The DZ decided it was safer for me to jump my own gear than student gear. (the harness slipped down my shoulders on 2 different jumps, on one of those both side came down to almost my elbows when I went to track):S

Fly it like you stole it!

I jumped student gear exactly 2 times after I graduated AFF, and that was to downsize without jumping 40 feet at once. I then jumped the rental Spectre 230 for about 25 jumps, and then went to my own Spectre 210 during a canopy course. I've been there for 20 jumps, and expect to be there for about 200 more. At least! :)
If you can get the gear, most excellent for you - free is a price I like! But if you're not able to jump as much as you'd like because students need the gear, and/or you are not on gear which is the right size for you (like Skycat), and/or if it's not something that you think you'll be buying, you may be better off either buying your own or renting for a while.

Just my .02...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I jumped student gear for about 50 jumps " no money either". 288 Mantas all of them! FXC's... all though I never fired one...but was getting too close for (my) comfort. Then one day I used the rent money to buy an old beat up rig. I actually told the land lord " a very hot looking woman" I didn't have the rent on time cause I bought a parachute! She looked at me sort of funny...smiled and said "ok, call me when you have it". 500 jumps later I'm still using it" still got no money". I helped pay for my jumping by packing, chasing students, coaching/instructing and helping out when I can.
So don't buy something you will hate cause you could have it a long time.
....mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I took out a personal loan and purchased my rig (used) as soon as I could after getting off student status. The DZ here charges 20 bones/jump to rent gear, 15 if you repack it yourself (which I always did-) and students transistioning from the big stuff get priority. The payments were about $125/month, or eight jumps (give or take - ). No-brainer, seeing as I usually do at least 10-20 jumps a month minimum. I would rather pay on my own gear than pay the DZ.

The rest of my gear, jumpsuit, helmet, etc - I paid cash for. Saved up my nickels and dimes and still do, as well as scrapping from the shop.

Easy Does It

I bought all the small stuff first right off student status. I hated wearing an old helmets that a bunch of other sweaty heads had been in. I was content with that for a couple of weeks and a few jumps ona rental rig. I had already been looking at the used gear on the net and here. Then came across a really good deal at my DZ. So I did what any respectable married man would do. I begged my wife for the money. So now I have to pay here back, but I have a rigs of my own. I would plan on using rental gear for a little while and look around for a good deal on a used rig. That way you get a rig that has the right pack volume for you.

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it. -Andre Gide

That is a very good deal your school is giving you on gear rental and you should take full advantage of it. Personally, I would get some jumps on the student gear, get conformable with landing them, then talk to more experienced jumpers (or your instructors are your best bet) and begin to think about new gear. The more jumps you get, the more you will realize what you like and don't like about certain features on rigs. The more experience you have, the better your equipment choice will be (for what you want, not what everyone else is jumping). Personally, I put over 100 jumps on student gear (PD 230's and 260's), then bought my first rig (a Javelin J1 and Sabre 150) which I put over 800 jumps on (with different mains). By the time I was ready to buy I had 100 jumps, and a very good idea of what I wanted, and needed. This really helped when I was selecting my new rig.
Just my .02

Lance

I'd say just use the student gear for however many jumps it takes until you have a good idea what you want. Don't run out and buy gear when you don't have any idea what you want. I did that and got BURNED. I ended up with a rig that is not really suited to what I want to do and I paid too much for it.

$50.00 jump seems like a lot. Was that just for the rig or did that include your jumpticket, altimeter, jumpsuit, and packing?

The whole thing. It was actually more like $46 or something, but my DZ's latest price is $49 for everything including packing. Gear rental is $23 per jump, making jumps $43 if ya pack yourself. I wish they had a deal like some other DZs where gear rental is by the day, not the jump.

Dave

Coming from a very small Cessna DZ way back then, I got to jump friend's gear for exactly 2 jumps after clearing student status, and then had to transition to my own rig.

I looked around my house and found things I could sell to support my new purchase....one yard sale was all that was needed to support my new habit! B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I wish they had a deal like some other DZs where gear rental is by the day, not the jump.

That is nice. I bought my own rig as soon as I graduated AFF (Got a great deal).:)

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!