Rdutch

Talk about scary!!!!!!!(But something to think about)

Okay, Im doing a regular 8way video jump this weekend, and I'm doing the usual, allow the block to turn, stay as close as possible, watch block build get steep as posible, when wham! The guy just undeneath me's pilot chute just decides it wants to feel air, just missing me as his canopy inflates in my face as he deploys. So im stiting in the air checking my short's, and everyone tracks off. On the ground, after I take a few deep breath's, we check his gear, its just fine, all we can assume that maybe on the exit it got clipped and pulled out a little, you can see on the video that it slowly comes out a little at a time, unfortuantely I missed it until It was too late.

Good point: We discussed what happened and how it could have been avoided, other people on the jump noticed it, and didn't know what to do, they thought it couldn't be put back in at that point, and just hoped it wouldn't come out. It was decided, that if that ever happen's again the dive is to be stopped immediately, and the problem pointed out, especially with a videographer up top.

Another mior way to avoid this (Potentially) a few gear manufacturers are offering a freefly handle mod, kind of like a pull out but made for a throw out.
I have seen a few of these and even jumped the Relative Workshop one, It takes a little getting used to but it does make your pc a little more secure, as a note I had the (misfortune/fortune) of packing a wing's freefly handle this weekend, I say misfortune because it is so secure it is hard to install, but with practice it get's a lot easier, and its only so hard to pack because it is so secure, the wing's freefly handle is definitely in there when it's packed right. I can't comment on the other manufacturer's because I never packed them, the vector one I jumped was packed for me by a packer.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Ray
This is why some( like me) think the pull out
system is safer....just think if they were doing head
down or he did not miss you...this may be a different
thread altogether.

...mike:)

-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Good to know that you are OK.

I hope that if someone sees my PC inching out that they stop the dive and let me know. I think I would dock on the jumper and try to point to the PC to let them know there was a problem.

This abnormal activity (deviation from the dive plan) should also clue in the video guy that something is not right so he can be clear.

;)Hey Ray, J.E. here. It was good to meet you face to face this weekend.
Be safe and good post!

Blues,
J.E.;)

Yeah same here, sorry we didn't have time to have a beer and shoot the shit! Maybe next time.

Ray

Yes, if you docked on the guy's right side - like an AFF instructor - and refused to let go, maybe the rest of the team would clue in that something unusual was happening.

Unfortunately I didn't see it happening, If I had I would have at least moved away from right on top of him. If I had a way to post the video I will. Im still having a problem with that.

Ray

Yes, if you docked on the guy's right side - like an AFF instructor - and refused to let go, maybe the rest of the team would clue in that something unusual was happening.

Unfortunately I didn't see it happening, If I had I would have at least moved away from right on top of him. If I had a way to post the video I will. Im still having a problem with that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guess what I meant to say was that things would have gone safer if one of his team mates had side-docked him and refused to let go.
Photographers are supposed to hang out on the fringes of the skydive and observe.

Just an idea, but would it be all that bad just to stop the jump and grab onto the handle of the almost about to offend pilot chute? I guess I'm wondering what would happen if one were to grab it on the way out, sort of a human controlled horseshoe? Would it depend on whether or not there is a camera man up above (i.e let it go at that point), grab it always?? Thoughts and suggestions??

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

....glad you're safe man....my bucket of luck runs drier after every jump too.

was on a 4 way skydive....newbie goes low and does not track out of the way....big cloud deck below so the nut decides he can't fall through industrial haze so he pulls right under 3 of us....we track to the side and miss him by about 10 feet on either side of his canopy....different cause but it was one incredible reality check.

one of those reasons that they teach us 1) to wave off before deploying and 2) to pull at your afore-mentioned altitude.

we live and learn....it's a good thing we all lived.

jg

....glad you're safe man....my bucket of luck runs drier after every jump too.

was on a 4 way skydive....newbie goes low and does not track out of the way....big cloud deck below so the nut decides he can't fall through industrial haze so he pulls right under 3 of us....we track to the side and miss him by about 10 feet on either side of his canopy....different cause but it was one incredible reality check.
-------------------------------------------
Something like this???????????????/oh shit!

one of those reasons that they teach us 1) to wave off before deploying and 2) to pull at your afore-mentioned altitude.

we live and learn....it's a good thing we all lived.

jg

[:/]

Big Tim Dumps.jpg

d-bag.jpg

Does anyone think that the wave off happens really quickly, and may not allow an unseen jumper to get out of the way?

Is there any credence to waving off and then pausing before you deploy - say like a second or two - to allow someone to sideslide off?

Just curious. Those pix are scary!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

[QUOTE]Is there any credence to waving off and then pausing before you deploy - say like a second or two - to allow someone to sideslide off?[/QUOTE]

You'd think someone wouldn't be 10 feet directly above you around pull time, but I guess it happens. I think if youre a jumper above someone and you see a wave off, you shouldn't need 1-2 seconds, you should get off that person's ass immediately, knowing that theres about to be nylon in your face. Of course, if you are doing the waving off, you'd think you'd want to pause a second or two after your wave off, so as not to fuck things up for yourself, but then I guess people get lazy.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Details;
Newish jumper, maybe 50 solos, on a 3way 135mph-ish belly, cameraman goes low so i presented both forearms in a 2way stable, he sees deploy altitude, submarines under me no wave just straight to pilot chute, almost got the camera guy too! 14 visits for acupuncture and twice to the chiro and still suffering from sciatica in my right side.[:/]>:(

Hi, Andy.

I am pretty new at this, and I've always been very concious of waving off and then deploying. There was a jump recently where I lost the lady I was jumping with (I went waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy low) and spent the whole rest of the jump looking for her. I waved off really BIG and waited and then deployed...asked about that on the ground, and she mentioned she saw me and was about 1000 feet above me...

I was just wondering if this should be done regularly. I know better than to be on top of someone, but I never was able to spot the lady I'm referring to, despite looking for 6,000 feet....

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Details;
Newish jumper, maybe 50 solos, on a 3way 135mph-ish belly, cameraman goes low so i presented both forearms in a 2way stable, he sees deploy altitude, submarines under me no wave just straight to pilot chute, almost got the camera guy too! 14 visits for acupuncture and twice to the chiro and still suffering from sciatica in my right side.[:/]>:(

How can anyone go low on a 135mph belly jump?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

lol.

pretty freakin' close dude....except the lower jumper pulled at 6,000' -- alittle high don't you think....and we were probably 500' above him and had just enough room to track away....

where did i @#$% up....i didn't warn the other jumpers around me that a jumper was below us....

where did the other jumper @#$% up....he didn't pull at 4,000' like he said he was, he pulled at 6,000' because of a cloud deck....

reminds you to keep your head on a swivel not just under canopy.

blue ones!!!!

jg

Another one... night jump,, building a 4-way round,, guy below me decides he couldn't read his alti in the dark after all,, so he dumps at 9K after a 10K exit,, I was diving to the base,, scared the crap outta me when I felt a canopy go by... you could hear it on the video,, I can understand wanting to get open when ya don't know your alt,, a nice big wave off would have been appreciated!!

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

My, but that's scary. Canopy whizzing by in the dark during free-fall. Did the night jump organizer:

1) Make sure that the alti had a small snap light securely taped to the altimeter so the low end was visible and that the person could read it and that it was properly set? If so, was the jumper mistrustful at maybe not being able to see the 8,9,10 grand markings, if this meant they were covered by the light/tape?

2) Suggest that people hide their lights and avoid looking at other bright lights/objects on the ride up to minimize night-blindness?

Just guesses, but these are 2 possible causes of your friend's problem, unless he bacame scared and panicked.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143