Skylark

A unconscious desire for human flight, or just a fun sport?

I've been wrestling with a few psychological questions recently regarding what we do. I now realise that the reason I jump and why I started jumping was because I have a deep-rooted yearning to actually fly like a bird, rather than just participate in a high-risk 'sport' and falling like a stone.

I've wanted to fly ever since I saw 'Peter Pan' as a child, and my dream diaries from my youth are filled with accounts of soaring flights across rooftops and trees and green fields. I watched Peter Pan again yesterday and the magic still remains.

I much prefer to jump solo and track, rather than perform stunts and acrobatics with others. Just me and the sky. Watching Lukas Knuttson track into the valley with his wings, or Loic swoop around mountain peaks never fails to snatch my breath away.

Am I the only one? How many jump because they have an innate, secret longing to be fly like birds rather than just compete with others and perform mid-air acrobatics because it's 'fun'?

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

"How many jump because they have an innate, secret longing to be fly like birds rather than just compete with others and perform mid-air acrobatics because it's 'fun'?"

Birds like to flock together too, there is nothing like seeing the smile on your friends' faces as you fly around the sky. The "acrobatics" aren't necessarily competitive. They are means of demonstrating your mastery of flight to other members of the flock, and can be described almost as a dance in the sky with your pals. Many people do describe this skydancing as an intrinsic part of skydiving, without the competitive element.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that solo and group flying needn't be mutually exclusive.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

If there was another sport that would get me closer to flying, I'd probably be doing that instead of skydiving. I've always dreamed of flying and naturally transitioned to skydiving once I found out where to go and who to talk to.

It's been 3 years since I started and I love it more and more each time I jump. I do like to jump with others as points of reference and to share the experience with them. But, I still love the solo jump, on my back, looking up at the sky and the clouds, sometimes I just close my eyes and sigh knowing that it will only last for less then a minute.

ep

hey skylark, I was the exact same way as you when I started out AFF. At first all I wanted was to get through AFF and get my A license and just do solos, me, the sky, and nothing else. You probably have more jumps than me, but already my flavor has changed, all it took was this moment when practicing foward motion with my instructor on jump number 7, and bang, I realized that falling at terminal relative to someone else is the best. All it takes is one little "click" to change your thoughts about skydiving, so I suggest you stay open, and try EVERYTHING. You can always get that wingsuit on jump 200 or so, til then HAVE FUN!

Just my inexperienced opinion!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I now realise that the reason I jump and why I started jumping was because I have a deep-rooted yearning to actually fly like a bird, rather than just participate in a high-risk 'sport' and falling like a stone.

Until you experience a birdman flight you will continue to fall like a stone or any other object thrown from an aircraft. If flying is what you want to experience then a birdman suit is your only option at this point in time. Once you experience that, you will realize that everyone else is just simply falling.:D Keep at it and join the flock when your ready, we'll be waiting;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey, Lou. That's one of the most encouraging things anyone has said to me :$ It's so difficult sometimes to know whether I'm doing the right thing wanting to jump and wanting to 'fly' and pouring all my life savings into getting enough experience to be able to fly a suit.

I have a feeling that in a few years I'll have no money, no house, no relationship and no job. But knowing that there's others out there doing the same as me and having the same feelings about flying and the same goals, then it will make it all worthwhile.

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

Hey, Lou. That's one of the most encouraging things anyone has said to me :$ It's so difficult sometimes to know whether I'm doing the right thing wanting to jump and wanting to 'fly' and pouring all my life savings into getting enough experience to be able to fly a suit.

I have a feeling that in a few years I'll have no money, no house, no relationship and no job. But knowing that there's others out there doing the same as me and having the same feelings about flying and the same goals, then it will make it all worthwhile.

I'm glad your encouraged, sometimes it is hard to acheive the things one wants in this life but if it is what makes you happy then it truely is a light at the end of the tunnel.

You have a feeling but don't grow an ucler worrying about things you have no control over, it gets you no where except the hospital. If your doing what makes you happy then it's all goody in the hoody. I expect to see you join the flock when your ready. It would be cool if there was a way to let you experience what flight feels like but the best I can do is point you at these and let you watch what it's like(dsl recommended)

http://www.interone.net/5deMayo.wmv

http://www.interone.net/bmo.wmv
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There has been a few studies about this. If the dream is of "falling", the dream is usually about anxiety. When chased by monsters, a child dreams of flying away. Escapism from danger or problems.

However, most dreams are about "flying" or "floating". This is a relaxing and fun feeling. Kids beg adults to throw them into the air. Swinging on a rope over a river and letting go. The desire for that feeling of soaring, flying, and playing is the feeling that most skydivers seem to want to reproduce.

Yoyr post definitely rings true with me. For as long as I can remember, I've dreamt of flying...I know everyone has 'the falling dream' but mine was a much more plesant experience than I've heard others describe. People talk about hitting the ground with a jolt and waking up with a jump, wheras my dreams always involved slowing down from falling and gently landing.

I always knew I'd enjoy skydiving, and not just for the adrenaline side but the sheer enjoyment of the flying feeling. As soon as I completed my first jump it honestly felt that I'd finally found the life for me!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Skydiving has to be the ultimate 'feeling' sport. I can't think of any other sport which engages you on so many levels. Physically, mentally and dare I say it Spritually. I think this is why people can relate to it on a 'dream' level, because it affects the physci on such a deep level, similar to when you wake from a beautiful 'flying' experience. And the 'Fear vs Fun' factor just adds to the phsycological stimulation.

The only other sport which comes close for me is Scuba diving. If you're on a deep dive, you can't see the surface, just blackness below, your floating in another world, all 'busy' thought has ceased and it's just you (and possibly some rather large fish) under millions of tons of water.

I think a lot of people are drawn to skydiving in the first instance because they crave 'feeling' on a bigger scale than they can find anywhere else.

just my thoughts.

:)

I had a guy tell me once that it was an evolutionary thing, we all have some kind of bird DMA patterns or some such thing.
He used student progression as an illustration, once they got over the gear-fear and relaxed...they could fly!
Everyone already knows basically how to fly unconsciously ....They just have to get past all the 'noise' they've been taught, telling them they can't.
I don't know that I buy that theory...but it's another .02

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I guess I am one of the lucky ones who only dreams in flight mode, no falling issues here. I love flying over the hills and cities similar to an episode of OVER WASHINGTON ( or name your State or Country I love that series) I think the only time I have ever had a feeling of falling in the pit of my stomach was doing a balloon jump where I felt so damn unstable it was unnerving. I have done 5 BASE jumps and never got that feeling of falling. When I am in the air. I have this wonderful feeling of being at home in the sky. :P

Amazon

Eagles may not flock in a traditional sense but I have seen quite a few flying together here in Washington state. Come up to NW Washington in the winter on the Skagit River... damn things are all over the place.. young ones... old ones with white heads.. hundreds of them.

Amazon

Well, I hate to break it to you but any ornithologist will confirm that your National bird is not an eagle. Eagles are classified quite simply and uncerimonialy as raptors with feathers on their toes. Trust me. Eagles don't flock.

Having been through all that, I progressed through homing pidgeons, falconry and hang gliding before skydiving. and feel flying is as important to my body as freedom is to my soul.

t

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Eagles may not flock in a traditional sense but I have seen quite a few flying together here in Washington state. Come up to NW Washington in the winter on the Skagit River... damn things are all over the place.. young ones... old ones with white heads.. hundreds of them.

funny i just had this argument with a friend of mine who is a river guide..shes was telling me all about the flocks of eagles she sees everyday..

they gather at high density feeding points, but your right, when your spliting the terminology hairs eagles dont flock..

unfortunately the old i'm right you/wrong pattern emerged and we couldnt have a rational discussion about it anymore..some times i hate old wounds

I dreamt of flying ultralite-like things or flying myself as a kid, usually over my own neighborhood. Once I started jumping, I would sometimes find myself dreaming of flying with no rig, and then gently doing a stand-up landing between the buildings in the city. My first thought when I awoke was a longing to be able to do that, but then also a feeling of gladness that skydiving afforded me the next best thing.

So why Dreamsville as a handle? With the last paragraph as background, there was an old easy listening tune from the 70's I ran across a few months ago, sung by Henry Mancini's vocal group (passed away late 90's I think).

Part of it said:

"We can see the rest of the world below us
From our pink cloud
There's no boundary to this magic land
As we go exploring hand in hand
In dreamy Dreamsville"

That's one view of skydiving.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143