NoShitThereIWas

What does RAM air stand for?

Hey everyone, I am wrapping up this physics paper and yes I am embarassed to admit that I forgot what RAM stands for with regard to the RAM air canopy. Can anyone clue me in here?

Spank you,
Noshitthereiwas (AKA JEN O)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

> yes I am embarassed to admit that I forgot what RAM stands for . . .

Ram. As in shove. Ram-air canopies inflate because air is rammed into their open nose. The same technique is sometimes used to boost performance of cars and aircraft; a poor-man's turbocharger.

lol...um if you REALLY want an acronym try something like this

Ram-Air Main there now you got RAM ;)
its ok if you have Random Access Memory RAM when it comes to acronyms though!;)
but when my brain fades like that I pretty much become a Really Angry Man..RAM

OK im gonna stop now b/c its 130 am here and I HAVE do find some kinda work do to...I am rotting away, Man! (RAM!)

My photos

My Videos

Hmmmmm, In these days of acronyms it pretty funny that people won't believe that a word could be a simple adjective. :) Like, uhhhhh, ROUND?:P Maybe it should have stood for Really Asskicking Main. Of course I'm not convinced Proper Ram-air Orientation (PRO) didn't come AFTER someone commented on a trash pack and some sky god said "That's not a trash pack, that's how the Pro's do it." Of course those of us who realize that a flat pack once S folded is the same orientation may be a little skeptical.

This thread brought a smile to a really bad day.

Terry

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

> yes I am embarassed to admit that I forgot what RAM stands for . . .

Ram. As in shove. Ram-air canopies inflate because air is rammed into their open nose. The same technique is sometimes used to boost performance of cars and aircraft; a poor-man's turbocharger.

Just like a RAM-jet engine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[Cliff Claven Mode] RAM stands for yer Rapid Air Movement. After the air moves rapidly into the front of the cells, it pushes up on the chute to keep it afloat, and then, energy spent, the air dribbles out the back of the cells slowly, 5 degrees warmer than when it went in. [/Cliff Claven Mode]

. . =(_8^(1)

Hmmmmm, In these days of acronyms it pretty funny that people won't believe that a word could be a simple adjective. :) Like, uhhhhh, ROUND?:P Maybe it should have stood for Really Asskicking Main. Of course I'm not convinced Proper Ram-air Orientation (PRO) didn't come AFTER someone commented on a trash pack and some sky god said "That's not a trash pack, that's how the Pro's do it." Of course those of us who realize that a flat pack once S folded is the
same orientation may be a little skeptical.

It's been a long time since I have heard "Trash pack"
Sparky

This thread brought a smile to a really bad day.

Terry

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Of course those of us who realize that a flat pack once S folded is the
same orientation may be a little skeptical

You want to clarify this a little bit more since I have an idea of what your saying but not sure you meant to say it this way?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Very few people in the sport are aware of the actual meaning of the acronym R.A.M. in ram air...

As the air hits the leading edge of a square parachute with openings in the leading edge, something happens that was never seen in solid leading edge airfoils. The air is almost vibrated inward and outward at the openings. This causes the air molecules to be spaced somewhat further apart than normal at the same pressure/temperature. This process, in the earliest days of squares, was given the dubious name of "rarified air molecules", ergo r.a.m....

Over the years since, most jumpers have failed to understand the concept and the entire principle of rarified air molecules has simply become a joke due to ignorance of the principle.

So yes, R.A.M. does have a meaning. This phenomenon actually is the reason your canopy remains inflated. Without this air escaping through the leading edge, your nose would simply cave in and your canopy would deflate.

More on this rarified air principle can be found in the patent claims of the earliest designers... Jalbert, Snyder, Strong, etc...

Chris

a.j.m.f.

Very few people in the sport are aware of the actual meaning of the acronym R.A.M. in ram air...

As the air hits the leading edge of a square parachute with openings in the leading edge, something happens that was never seen in solid leading edge airfoils. The air is almost vibrated inward and outward at the openings. This causes the air molecules to be spaced somewhat further apart than normal at the same pressure/temperature. This process, in the earliest days of squares, was given the dubious name of "rarified air molecules", ergo r.a.m....

Over the years since, most jumpers have failed to understand the concept and the entire principle of rarified air molecules has simply become a joke due to ignorance of the principle.

So yes, R.A.M. does have a meaning. This phenomenon actually is the reason your canopy remains inflated. Without this air escaping through the leading edge, your nose would simply cave in and your canopy would deflate.

More on this rarified air principle can be found in the patent claims of the earliest designers... Jalbert, Snyder, Strong, etc...

Chris

a.j.m.f.

Chris,
Do you supply a shovel with your words of wisdom?
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

------------------------------------------------------------

Of course those of us who realize that a flat pack once S folded is the
same orientation may be a little skeptical

------------------------------------------------------------

You want to clarify this a little bit more since I have an idea of what your saying but not sure you meant to say it this way?

Many think of a flat pack as the nose and tail both being simply folded toward the middle. This is definitely not at all like a pro pack

I do a variation of a flat pack which I think does share some aspects of the 'pro' pack. I first prepare/roll the nose, fold the A lines to the B, then I turn it over so that the nose is placed facing down - toward the ground. Then I place the C & D line groups on top of that, and flake the tail - half on each side before wrapping a bit of it around the front. I think this shares a lot with the pro pack except that the canopy is still just simply S-folded except for the tail which is evenly split to each side, and it is not really possible to place the slider cleanly in the middle of it all.

I've witnessed some reserves packed similarly.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am