brettpobastad

Drop zone owners

I've been jumping for a lot of years and I owned and operated a DZ for eight of those years. I feel qualified to say that I've seen both the good and bad...and know the difference.

My vote goes to BOB DAUGHS.

He operates a small DZ in cental Oregon. Always in a good mood. Allows the athmosphere to happen. Great skydiver and pilot.

Brett

I've got to vote for my own DZO, of course....Steve Guest at Skydive Hinton, OK. Nice guy, knows when to sit back and let the staff run, always has a great attitude.

And while I only spent one weekend at Skydive San Marcos, I was really impressed with Phil the DZO while I was there. The DZ was very nicely run.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Who is your favorite drop zone owner...and why?

Bill Dause stands out for his "rugged individualism" philosophy preferring simple sole proprietorship rather than group politics. He's also quite a businessman having done business with RK for twenty years.

The West family from SGC. I've never met more friendly people that give everything to the sport. Jim's been doing this for so long I think he's forgotten that DZO's normally are'nt to be that nice to the fun jumpers.

Also on the list is the Chappell's deom San Marcos. Very cool family that treats the staff and jumpers with a lot o respect. Plus you got to respect a DZO that rides a Harley!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Gary Fuches, Desert Skydiving Center, Buckeye, AZ!

When the old, evil DZO was threatening to close the DZ, Gary stepped in and saved it. His attitude was, "I'm not a DZO, I'm just a skydiver keeping the DZ open." It has created a very laid back atmoshpere where Gary mans the BBQ pit every Saturday night. Man I miss it...

But, since I am now in Oklahoma because of my career, I gotta agree with Kris. Steve Guest definitely gets my vote for OK DZs.

Rock

My vote definitely goes to the West family from SGC. They have done more for me since I started jumping than I can even mention. I've learned so much about every aspect of skydiving from Jim. If ever there were nicer, more supportive people in the world, I have yet to find them.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I would have to say Jon Bucsko @ Skydive TwinCities
One of the greatest guys on the earth always as time for his students with thier diving or with buying gear or any other question that he can answer. Stays late even when it's bad weather just to talk to the people at the DZ
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

Well I gotta tell ya, I have only ever been to one DZ, the one i jump at.
The DZO there is one of the few ppl on the planet Iv have ever seen who can change the entire mood of the DZ just by smiling.

Unfortunately the mood changes for the worse. I can walk into the hanger and just by looking at the demeaner of the instructors and TM's I know whether the DZO is on the Dz or not.
The days when he isn't there the manifest runs smoothly, and the people are happy and fun loving.
This guy is a walking blackhole.
Pitty its the nearest DZ to me.
On the other hand the TMs and Instructors are great, so to the fun jumpers, most are more than willing to help with advice or instruction, and it's not to hard to get someone to jump with me when I need to do a 2 ways:ph34r:

We just need to find a way of getting the DZO to be a SILENT iINVISBLE partner

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Of course, this is full of personal bias, but . . . Tony Thacker and Kate Griesser at Raeford Skydiving Center get my vote. Tony and Kate have always taken very good care of me, and I'm not ashamed to throw them a compliment here.

I will add that Before Tony and Kate took over the DZO duties, Gene Paul and Miss Billie Thacker were friends for years and also took great care of me.

I have met a few DZOs elsewhere, but my heart stays close to home.

;)

Arrive Safely

John

I've only jumped at one DZ so I can only give a limited opinion but my vote goes to the DZO at Skydive Aggieland, Todd Spillers. He's fun and easy-going while being safety-minded and by-the-book! He's a fair and honest businessman and an incredible skydiver! If we don't cook at the DZ on the weekends, he invites us over to his home. (How insane is that! Inviting a bunch of skydivers over to your home!) Kuddos to his wife and kids for putting up with us, too!:)

--
A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. -Oliver Wendel Holmes

Phil & Deb Chappell Of Skydive San Marcos
Definitely Todd Spillers Of Skydive AggieLand, Look for more good things here!
Cindy Gibson Of Lexington is very kewel as well. one DZO in particular i look forward to meeting, and jumping at his facility is Roger Nelson of Skydive Chicago, this is where the "mecca" of skydiving facilities is! ;)

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Jumped in France for six months. The majority of the drop zones are not owned by anybody. They are called 'associations' and are non profit orginizations that are owned by anybody who jumps there. Almost everybody that works at the drop zone are volunteers so the attitudes and politics are different than alot of drop zones in North America. There were several world champions jumping there that would help anybody out at any time without ever asking for anything in return. The atmosphere was what skydiving should be about.

The Farringtons at Kapowsin Air Sports in Washington are AWESOME! Andy and Keri have both been JM's for me and have always helped me out when I needed it. One morning after spending the night at the DZ, I woke and walked down the hallway following the smell of eggs, bacon and hashbrowns! Geoff was cooking breakfast for all the overnight guests! The next morning Jessie had just finished making cinnimon rolls! Jessie taught me to pack and Geoff showed me how the three-rings works, how an RSL works etc. Very cool family running one of the best DZ's you'll ever have the pleasure of jumping at B|

I've also been to only one dz, but even if I'd been to others, I don't think my vote would be different. Cindy at ASC gets my vote! She's always so friendly, welcoming, and involved in what's going on... and she gives me a ride after my landings far away from the windsock:D

I've only jumped at one DZ so I can only give a limited opinion but my vote goes to the DZO at Skydive Aggieland, Todd Spillers. He's fun and easy-going while being safety-minded and by-the-book! He's a fair and honest businessman and an incredible skydiver! If we don't cook at the DZ on the weekends, he invites us over to his home. (How insane is that! Inviting a bunch of skydivers over to your home!) Kuddos to his wife and kids for putting up with us, too!:)

Todd rocks!!
and when you pass out or fall asleep they give ya blanket, but you have to be aware that Kathy is always searching for those comidic photo ops, and being asleep makes you an easy target.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

I really think that Skydive Elsinore is an amazingly friendly, warm dropzone. Not only are Karl and John (& family) amazing, personable DZO's (I love them!), but their whole staff is equally wonderful. MJ (awesome 2-way instructor), Betsy, Yoyo and all the other instructors/workers there are incredible in every way. Their support and encouragement truly have kept me coming back every weekend. After my old DZ closed, Elsinore has now become my new home DZ. :)