Yoshi

Do you tip your packer?

I try to tip most of the time for pack jobs, particularly packers I know. It works out close to $1 per pack job, depending. I know it is hard work and it's a service in the same sense that waiters and others are a service. Not only that, but those I know are good people and 'm sure could use the extra $.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Heck yeah, I tip them, Deservedly so.

Me too. Been there, done that - packing is damn hard work and those few extra bucks are appreciated at the end of the day.

How much I tip depends on how much cash I have. I jump at Perris where pack jobs are $6. I usually "round up" - so if I did 3 jumps I owe $18 but will give them a $20. If they took extra good care of me - making sure I was packed in time for a load, brushing off the evidence of my last landing, putting my rig out of the sun when it's done, etc. - then I try to tip at least $1 per pack job for the day.

I do exactly the same thing. I have two rigs, and my only request from my packer is that one of them is ready to go all the time. When I land, I need a packed rig ready. As we get into peak season for tandems, I'll do maybe 10 video jumps a day plus maybe 3 fun jumps. I pay six bucks per pack and round up at the end of the day. It's a good deal for both of us.

When I get to know a packer and prefer one or another, yes definately. Not only tip but I generally befriend him/her. Which means Me casa~Su casa, ergo, when the beer light comes on, "your money is no good!"

It is completly ironic that with some help/packing tips etc from a couple of "THE BEST" packers I've ever seen, that I still suck at packing myself...

Ya know what might be a well kept secret, but was a tip to me from a pro. packer, was that negotiating pack fees is "absolutely" acceptable as well. As in my case where I'll make 15 jumps on two rigs in a day. The packer is guaranteed 15 or so pack jobs at a set price.

I have on some occasions traded jump tickets and even let one guy jump one of my rigs for a few jumps for a couple pack-jobs.

Tipping is good, no argument. But tipping is not a requirement! Especially if you're missing loads and getting weird openings!!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I rarely have anyone else pack for me, but when I do it's to make short calls all day long. So I do usually tip at the end of the day since I know I put a lot of pressure on 'em to make the calls all day long. I'll usually throw in an extra ten...

Blue ones...

I occasional work as a packer. Sometimes i get tips, sometimes i don't. Of course i like the people that tip me, but i don't expect them. The best tip ever was some guy at the Mardi Gras boogie. I packed for him once and he gave me $20. Said it was an awesome opening. And of course i'm not gonna pass up a $15 tip....yeah, he might've been hitting on me but oh well. I love being a girl!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Deuce (aka JP) kicks much ass. He alone keeps my rent paid, gas in my car (over an hour to the DZ for me) and food in my belly. And for all of that I am glad to pack his rigs under any conditions. Now if he would just stop hurting himself on landin j/k JP.

Packers definitly appreciate tips, but we all know that they are not required.

Personally a general guideline I think people using packers should follow are, anything above 190, any new zp canopy, or anybody that needs a pack job in 10 minutes or under should be paid a little extra, or at least thanked and bought a tasty beverage at the end of the day.

if i use a packer, i'll tip em. i like it when people tip me, and i know how hard i work all day (packing for others).

but, as far as if someone tips me for a packjob, that doesn't mean they come first. everyone gets the same packjob, in what ever order they set the rig down.

later

everyone gets the same packjob

I agree on that point. I take a lot of pride in my work, what ever it may be. When it is packing, I want to have the best openings possible for my customers (sorry JP;)), so I strive for that. I also want to have a rig ready for them in 6-7 minutes (at most), so I stive for that too.

The fact that I'll take care of people that take care of me, well, I guess that comes with growing up in relatively rural Texas.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm a small person and my biggest challenge has always been bagging the bugger! Closing isn't the problem.

I'm not small, but I still had trouble getting it in the bag. But, now I'm doing a psycho pack, and it's making all the difference. See if you can find someone at your dz to show you that way of packing.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

As a rule, I tip if they went above and beyond the expected job. Got me packed for that short call, etc.

But if they just do their normal job, I probably would just pay the $5.

Then again, I usually pack myself.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

I tip $1 for every pack job. The packers do me a huge favor, treat me well and do all the grunt work in the hot, FL humidity that I don't want to do. My favorite packer, Chris, is nice enough to let me get my cheap thrills and he lets me put the money in his pocket by myself. :)

But, now I've deicded I need the money for jumps, so I'm going to start packing. I'm even practicing in my apartment now at night. I never thought I'd do that, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I've got it down to half an hour now! :P

I always tipped -- but then again 10-12 jumps of 4way back to back loads kept them pretty busy... of course it was Y packing for me too, which isn't so bad, now is it?:)

You're so thoughtful. And yes I always tip my packer!! And it's not even because they hate my container.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

You bet. They are providing a service and I'm more than happy to tip for good service.

\

EXACTLY !!!

T--to
I--insure
P--proper
S--service

Tip me or die of thirst !
Mr. Mixoligist
Better you than me

***I'm not saying that I'll jip any other customers, but lets say one guy tipped me $10 yesterday. Now I've got two rigs infront of his and he's trying to make a load. There's a chance his will be done first.
/quote]I pack my own rig -- but if I hired a packer, then found out my rig got pushed to the back of the line to accomodate someone else under the circumstances you described, I never hire that packer again. That's really poor business. A customer paying the advertised price should expect and receive prompt service.

not at all you are paying to have your rig packed and packed properly in a reasonable amount of time IME thats what the advertised price gets you..

if you want it packed more quickly for whatever reason..thats up to you to work out with your packer..

the rules of supply and demand apply here just as to any other business..

i always make a point to tell my packer what kind of call i'm on and she makes a point to make sure i make it..that sometimes means i get packed "out of order" and i compensate them for the consideration, it also means i get "bumped" when she knows i'm not in a hurry...(lunch, dirt dive etc...)

A customer paying the advertised price should expect and receive prompt service

Did I ever say that they wouldn't get prompt service? Read what Zenister said.

Its sort of like going to your favorite bar. If you go fairly often and usually tip well, do you think that the bartender is going to take care of you? Do you expect it? I've worked in that industry too, and damn straight its done that way. Someone comes in who I recognize and he/she's a good tipper, damn straight they're going to get preferred treatment. Does that mean I leave my other customers high and dry? Nope.

I don't care what sort of business you're in, people take care of people who take care of them. I'll find it very hard to believe if you disagree with that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't care what sort of business you're in, people take care of people who take care of them. I'll find it very hard to believe if you disagree with that.

Dave:

your exactly right on this one bro. no matter what your occupation is, it isn't a "hobby" that's for sure. "Show Me The Money!" everyone pays for "preferred service" whether they know it or not is an entirely different matter. be home the 11th, in the air soon after, we'll fly that new Cobalt Comp. 170^2! :)
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Go to your DZ and pack 20+ rigs a day. See if you still think that $5 is enough.

Been there, done that. Packing is HARD work, but at the end of the day you ussually go home with $100. That's $2000 dollar a month. Makes a good income. Like I said it's hard work, but that's why it's called WORK.... :P
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...