flygirl60

I sucked

Hi all I have been bragging that I was going to do my AFF level one today so I( have to let you know how it went...and yes I sucked
My jumpmasters wanted to pass me but I asked them to let me do level 1 over. because I got the hand signal for extend your legs mixed up with the one to check your are position and while they were trying to push my legs down I was busy trying to figure out what was wrong with my arm position :S
the JM then assisted me in pulling. I didn't land where I was supposed to (my goggles fogged for a bit and I couldnt see well anyone have suggestions about what to do about this) but they directed me to land a little away at the landing strip and I landed okay, but I tumbled just a bit.
I cant believe I sucked so bad because I was sure I would do well. I really want to go on with my training but am hoping that I'm not wrong about my abilities to do this. I just can't bear the thought of not ever realizing my dreams. I want to be a skydiver so bad.
sorry I know I am rambling a bit, but I am fluctuating between wishing I could kick my own ass and thinking maybe it wasn't that bad, but either way I feel more comfortable doing level 1 over.

flygirl,
we all sucked!

I fialed level 7!:o DOH! yes level 7...my graduation level!

take thiat as a lesson that things may get wierd up there but if you do everything coeertly you can still land safely!

its your decision to come back and do your level 1 again which is admirable but I take it this is only your first time in the air(excluding a possible tandem)

we arent all born with wings! hell I have 250 jumps and I am still taking out formations! LOL:$
Im glad you are so hard on yourself, that shows that you are pretty safety conscious. stay that way ! but relaized that no one is a born pro!
My photos

My Videos

while they were trying to push my legs down I was busy trying to figure out what was wrong with my arm position [Crazy]

The fact that you remember so much of the jump is really really good. The main purpose off level 1 is to see if you have any awareness in the air. While you didn't react correctly, you reacted, and you remember what happened and what you were thinking.

That's head and shoulders above a whole lot of AFF 1 students. Really.

And if you feel more comfortable doing level 1 again, go for it. There's not a huge difference between 1 and 2, so just practice stuff. Really. You'll do absolutely great.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

[The fact that you remember so much of the jump is really really good. The main purpose off level 1 is to see if you have any awareness in the air. While you didn't react correctly, you reacted, and you remember what happened and what you were thinking. quote]

I wouldn't do it again if I were you. Level two isn't going to be so different and you know what you did wrong so you can adjust for level 2. Think of the money; whilst it is important to get it right you could do this on level 2 and save a bit of cash. Your instructors will let you know if there is a problem.

Goggles. Take em off under canopy but don't drop them, slip them round your neck - they are only really necessary in freefall anyway.

Well done for doing it anyway! Keep smiling and keep going - and despite my advice, or anyones - do what you feel happy with.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Hey, you were able to land in one piece and no broken bones, so, it was a good skydive.

We all failed in one level or another, I did AFF 4 three times, now, I'm this close to get my A license, just hang in there, don't be so hard on yourself, RELAX, be safe and have fun.

There's a coach I know who would smack you for talking like that! (Lovingly - of course.)

The point is - focus on the good sutff! You did so much right that your instructors wanted to pass you! You did something that a very small portion of people would even think about trying. Good for you!

Look, you'll have lots of time to fix your arms, legs, whatever. Right now, try enjoying the fact that you did it!

OK, so it didn't go as well as you expected. Disappointment is normal. But getting down on yourself won't help - really. So practice, listen to your instructors, and smile. This is fun!

(Oh, and I did a very bad level 1. And that was after 8 IADs. PM me if you want the details.)

Good luck. Let us know how the next one goes.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I didn't land where I was supposed to (my goggles fogged for a bit and I couldnt see well anyone have suggestions about what to do about this)

Take them off? You wouldn't be the first person to fly canopy without your goggles.

I landed okay, but I tumbled just a bit.

You and every other AFF student. It happens, don't worry about it. They taught you the PLF right? That's a tumble. We expect AFF students to tumble when they land.

I cant believe I sucked so bad because I was sure I would do well.

You jumped, you lived, you didn't kill anyone else, and it sounds like you pulled. What more could you ask for? Sounds like a successful level 1 to me.

I really want to go on with my training but am hoping that I'm not wrong about my abilities to do this.

Stay with the AFF program and LISTEN TO and LEARN FROM your instructors. Don't second guess them, they know how this is supposed to work, you don't. It's perfectly normal to be uncomfortable during AFF, but when your instructor passes you it is my belief that you should accept it and move on. Maybe it's me, but I think you second guessed them and that's a bad, and potentially dangerous, habit to get in to.

Good luck and stay safe.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

*** Maybe it's me, but I think you second guessed them and that's a bad, and potentially dangerous, habit to get in to.
I didn't think of it that way. They were really super and I certainly wouldn't want them to think that I didn't trust their judgement. I was a bit upset with myself and that was all I could think of at the time. thanks for the heads up.

Hi, Deb!

Know what? I agree. Repeat level 1.

But not because you sucked. Because you need the confidence to progress.

Here's what I wrote to another poster on this thread....

"Me? FJC, fine. Got a little fixated about landing on a snake, but fine. PLFs, PRCT, all perfect. Harness work, all perfect. However...in the air, I was a complete mess. I'm flying around the sky, grinning like a fool. my JM is frantically shaking my jumpsuit, but I ignore it. He wants my attention, so I finally realize it's not the wind, and look at him. Legs in signal. I nod, and don't do a thing. Then I look at my rJM, and he gives me the arms in signal. Again, nod, and nothing. I am grinning and waving at the camera, and my camera guy gives me the three finger signal for RCPTs...which I stare at. Uh, hmmmm....peace plus one? Fuck you three times? What? Oh yeah....and reach with my left arm. rJm is pushing, and JM is pulling, and I finally switch arms and do it with my right hand. On the 4th PRCT, it becomes a pull....and out the pc comes, and whoomp, there the chute is. And then I'm too frightened to look around for the airport, and sail off into the sun. I look between my feet, and start trying to think of outs because all I see are houses and roads... Forever later, I finally look over my shoulder and see the plane. Genius thought - hey, that's where I am supposed to go....so I turn the canopy like 3 degrees at a time, and get headed back. Now, I am about 400 feet, crossing a runway (I saw the plane land, but didn't realize there was another one flying around...), and just let it fly straight. Fly over family, holler hi, and WHHHOOOOOHOOOOO JM on the radio, telling me to pay attention, gets me in the right direction and flared. I fell over."

So do what you need to do. Do what is right for you. But like Jimbo said, LISTEN TO and LEARN FROM your instructors. And trust yourself. Have faith, because courage and confidence grows from experience, but faith is immediate and full...and KNOW you can do this.

And my only other suggestion is: smile! It's all easier when you smile. Dunno why, don't understand it, but I know it's true.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

HA cool I suck to.

Jump 78 this past weekend. 2 way sit with dude cool enough to jump with me. Exit the plane I loose him, forget how to hold my body together because I'm all beating up on myself for blowing the exit etc. etc. Open up and for some reason (I don't know why because I have never blown it before) decide to land in the freakign parking lot, on rocks; start to beat myself up over my stupid landing choice and I bif it in instead of standing it up like I'm totally capable of. Damn I walked away from that jump just feeling very very suck. Next jump was much better.

I wouldnt beat your self up at all, you really don't know your skydiving abilities just yet. CONTINUE YOUR TRAINING, I also wanted to be a skydiver so bad, and here I am a skydiver and I suck and steadly getting better, and it's so much fun (smile)...

.:skip

"Me? FJC, fine. Got a little fixated about landing on a snake, but fine.

LOL - the things we come up with in FJC... and I thought my paranoia about not knowing how to activate the flotation device properly was weird after the fact (the instructor's advice? If you land in the lake... stand up and wade out).

[edit: tag closure :$]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

and I thought my paranoia about not knowing how to activate the flotation device properly was weird after the fact

It was actually tucked into the waiver (paraphrasing here).

"YOU CAN DIE IN THIS SPORT. YOUR PARACHUTE MAY FAIL. THE PLANE MAY CRASH, KILLING ALL ABOARD IN A VERY DISGUSTING MANNER. YOU MAY LOSE YOUR JUMPMASTERS IN THE AIR. THIS IS DANGEROUS. YOU MAY GO SPLAT. YOU MAY NOT LIVE THROUGH THIS. YOU MAY BREAK A LEG IN 47 PLACES, YOUR HEAD LIKE HUMPTY DUMPTY, YOUR BACK, YOUR NOSE, A FEW TOES - HECK, ALL AT ONCE. YOU MAY LOSE YOUR ABILITY TO WALK IF YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID. You may land near a snake, and if it bites you, we are not responsible. YOU MAY DIE. YOU CAN DIE. DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOU MIGHT DIE. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MIGHT DIE. HELLO, YOU CAN DIE DOING THIS. AND YOU CAN'T SUE US IF YOU DIE.

There it was, buried in the midst of all the other warnings....and that's what I picked up on. I actually pestered Ed (FJC instructor and JM) to point out, on the aerial photo, where the snake lived...and I made him promise he would not let me land there. He kinda looked at me, and promised.

Yeah, the things we fixate on...ROFL...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

LMAO......Mine was awful too flygirl. I have it on video, ugh!!!! I took level 3 three times and i have to repeat level 5 again! I'm going to the wind tunnel on Monday in an effort get my act together... hahaha. I've had some great jumps too though. I learned from each jump and that's the most important thing. I'm gonna be a grand skydiver, and so will YOU!!;)

Hope you don't get Banned!

:D Bastards. That's not fair putting it in there when they *know* we're all reading the waiver like the whuffos we are, freaking out about every little thing.

Funnily enough, I nearly did end up in the lake on AFF 7. High winds at altitude took me, another student and my AFF/I a long way off target:

I'm headed for my second out (first one was a bad idea) when I realise I'm flying backwards and ooh look, there's the edge of the lake directly underneath me...

Fortunately after my initial panic (not worried about the water any more after the "stand up" comment, just about the utter humiliation) I worked it out and ran downwind to the other side.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Hi Flygirl,

You didn't suck at all. In fact, it sounds like you remembered a lot of the skydive! Which is good. It also appears to me as a typical skydive for AFF level 1. How was your exit? Did you get video? If it is pretty much how you described it, it was better than a lot of level 1s I've had with students.:D

I concur with Wendy. If your instructors passed you, you are probably ready for level 2. And yes, listen to your instructors. I'd be happy to do AFF level 2 with ya.:)
Sounds like you did fine, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Shark
AFF-I

practice your body position on the ground and you'll be allright

most people seem to have problem with their legs at first so think about legs in the air. On the ground I tend to stretch them a little more than in the air because in freefall it feels like they are stretched and then they're not! you should feel presure on the lower part of your legs.

no mather HOW you are flying, try to have a robust body position! just keep them legs stretched and just seperated enough. Arch arch arch and soon you'll feel it's easy to be stable ;)

I know how disappointing it feels when you did a bad jump. Guess it's part of skydiving cuz it stays when you're trying new things that don't seem to work out..

I remember from AFF that every jump I made was more fun...

good luck

In order to progress from level 1 to level 2 you need to: a) have a reasonable arch and stability within 10 seconds prior to planned deployment altitude, b) reasonable altitude awareness, c) initiate deployment within 1000 ft of assigned altitude. Sounds to me like you did all of those things. Your instructors know these minimums and if they say you should move on then move on. By the way, you don't fail any level unless you die, you simply repeat the dive.

Jump nice

John
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

LMAO......Mine was awful too flygirl. I have it on video, ugh!!!!

Have mine video taped too..Now that I have calmed down a bit, when I watch it it looks kinda funny, me moving my arms up and down like I did it looked like I was really trying to fly.
I have never appreciated the support on here more than I do now. I know I can do this, no one can feel this right about something and be wrong. just the thought of never flying through the air again is so depressing that, I would almost rather die trying than to go back to wasting away on the couch.
btw I would also like to thank fast eddie who came to get my butt and and everyone else at the DZ who was so supportive. It seems to me that skydiving attracts some really cool peopleB|