somethinelse

Jumping out of Planes other than 182s

Last year had hoped to push thru training to get my A in one summer...But not so far...
AND-
I'VE ONLY JUMPED OUT OF 182s. I'm looking to train at another DZ this summer...

What's it like jumping out other types of planes???

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES - PRO and CON -

Without a doubt the best airplane to jump out of is . . . whatever plane you happen to be in at the time. ;)

Twin Otter -- "Standard" for larger drop zones that hold skydiving competitions (Perris, Eloy, Chicago, DeLand, ect.). Seats up to about 23 skydivers. Fairly fast climb. Fairly comfortable. Large door on left rear of fuselage, usually has a "floater bar" attached to inside and a "camera step" and "camera handle" on outside. Generally you should be able to "fly" right off the door from a Twin Otter since the airstream is not blocked by anything and is generally a very nice aircraft for competitions.

Without a doubt, the aircraft I've jumped from the most.

See http://skydiveperris.com/facilities/large.asp

The two smaller aircraft in the formation are Twin Otters. The larger boxlike aircraft at the very front is called a Skyvan.

Skyvan -- Typical "tail-gate" aircraft found at larger drop zones that do big-ways (most of the same ones listed above). Holds 20ish people depending on the individual airplane. Loud but very roomy. Because the door of the aircraft is situated in the tail of the aircraft, people have a tendancy to hit the airstream with their body slightly differently. If you just stepped off the tail-gate, your feet would first hit the airstream, then your mid-section then your upper body. Because of this, people have a tendancy to tumble somewhat. More experienced skydivers learn how to deal with this and it causes them no problems.

In fact, this aircraft and other tail-gate aircraft are sort of prefered to be the lead aircraft in larger big-way formations, among other reasons, because it allows the "base" of the formation to launch cleanly without any sort of rotation that is common in side-door aircraft. It also allows for a bunch of other handy things like the ability of the lead organizer of the event to briefly see the entire aircraft formation, smile and wave for everyone to get ready. ;)

The downside of tail-gate airplanes is that they are a LOT more difficult to spot from. To do it correctly, you really need to get down on all fours and look under the airplane. While -some- people may in fact do this, most do not and often the entire plane load of skydivers are simply trusting the pilot and people that went before them.

That's all I can type for now -- gotta work.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

182s are by far the easiest in my opinion. Im still trying to get nice clean exits nailed down on King Air's and Otter's. For some reason it is taking me a little effort, but, hey who said I wouldn't be giving it my all on some skydives! But, yeah, any airplane is fine by me as long as its at altitude!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I've done most of my jumps out of a 206. It didn't have a wing strut or step to stand on so you had to sit in the door and jump. It was difficult fighting the wind and trying to get in a good body position.

After our DZ had an 'incident' we got a 182 for a while. It was great getting to climb out and then let go, because then you were pretty much arched already.

I haven't been in any big planes, but I'm going on Friday to a new DZ, that has an otter. Then I will at least get to see one, maybe there will even be enough jumpers to go up in it!

DC-3 -- Historic. Probably one of the most written about airplanes ever. Many, many different configurations, but as a military transport jump plane it holds about 40 modern day skydivers. Very roomy. Loud but in a very good, historical, radial engine sort of way. This thing looks like an airplane, smells like an airplane and just "feels" right to be in. Slower to climb than just about any other large aircraft, but you'll love every minute of it if you soak up the history. Most have very small doors compared to other large airplanes like Twin Otters, but some have huge floater bars and steps on the outside that you can pile lots of skydivers on. Skydivers floating on the outside get to smell and taste the exhaust which can be a turn on or turn off depending on how you want to view it. They're also likely to get a light coating of oil all over them spraying out of the engines.

These aircraft are rare and usually only come out for special occasions, but they're well worth the wait.

See http://www.centercomp.com/dc3/
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Heh. Thought you might like a fellow-student's perspective - I've only ever jumped out of a Caravan (17 jumpers). It's roomy, and crawling backwards towards the door can feel like quite a long way.

Sitting at the front of the plane (door at the rear starboard on this one), watching a dozen other people exit first is pretty cool, though feeling the plane lose so much weight all at once was disconcerting the first time.

The door is big, and there's no step, so exits are simple. I haven't quite got the hang of going out headfirst (the wind seems to catch me and spin me around) but the crouching exit is really, really easy. Put your hands on the doorframe facing forward, head out, step sideways... very easy to do stably.

So. I've never jumped anything else, but after I get my 'A' I want to head to South Australia to visit my parent, and there are small DZs near where they live. What's it like jumping out of a 182 or 206 for the first time?

[edit: speling]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Coolest plane i've jumped out of was a cresco.. not exactly the roomyest plane in the world.. about 10 - 11 people but who cares! its 11 minutes to 14 grand B|B|B| and hydraulic door!! what more can you ask for in a plane? :P

I got to do 15 jumps out of a CASA this weekend. Man what a fun airplane to jump out of. I like the skyvans, but the CASAs are even better. ;)

To date I have jumped out of:

several King Airs
several Otters
this CASA
a Skyvan
a Porter
a Caravan
a DC-3
a Helicopter
and several Cessna 206s.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Last year had hoped to push thru training to get my A in one summer...But not so far...
AND-

Let's see, these are the ones that come to mind offhand:

Balloons, tethered (800') and free

Beech 18 (Twin Beech), Twin Bonanza, Queen Air, King Air 90 & 200

Bell UH-1 and 412

Boeing Vertol CH-47

Boeing Stearman SNJ (? - "yellow peril")

Boeing 727

Cessna 150/152, 172, 180, 185, 205/206/207 (including an Allison Turbine model), Caravan

CASA 212 (?)

DeHavilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou and DHC-6 Twin Otter

Douglas DC-3/C-47

Lockheed C-130 and C-141

Helio Stallion

Pilatus Porter

Piper Cherokee, Navajo Chieftain

Shorts Skyvan

In general the turbines do better at higher altitudes, so 182s aren't ususally mainfested for loads into Class A airspace. Big radials tend to be toads above 10 grand as well,

At 182 DZs people tend to know how to skydive. They can take off a chunk from an awkward exit, and are turning points on the hill. They don't have much altitude to waste, so they learn how to use it. They can't put together 16 ways that take six grand to build.

Another nice thing about C-182s is that you're not competing for landing space with 23 other parachutists. It's a lot easier to keep track of three other parachutes, and it only takes one that you missed to kill you ('bye, Roger). I was just missed by someone flying a nonstandard pattern this Saturday (out of an Otter), and problems on short final I can do without.

In general, fast is good. If you want to know what I'm talking about, get on some of Mike Mullins' loads - that man can get to altitude FAST, and flies a great jumprun.

As far as exit goes, tailgates tend to be the most flexible and forgiving. Flexible and forgiving can lead to lax performance, and I doubt if you're going to see 8-ways build faster than the A-team out of Mullins's King Air, so it's all relative. Raft dives, tubes and what have you are better suited to tailgates, but that has little to do with high performance skydives. Also, doing big ways out of a C-130 is easier than a DC-3 from the standpoint of getting everyone out of the plane in short order.

They're all good, and I'll jump just about anything but a Twin Bo or Queen Air again. The GSIO motors on those airplanes tend to fail (I've bailed out of two of them when engines crapped out), and they're most likely to do so in that window of opportunity after rotation where the pilot has no Plan B. My preferred method of suicide is old age, thank you very much.

If you have a C-182 on hand, you're in good shape. You can develop all the skills you need to survive for a long time, and have a grand time doing so.

Blue skies,

Winsor

AND-

I've jumped out of: Cessna 182/206/208 Caravan/208 Grand Caravan, Pilatus Porter, Twin Otter, Fokker 60, Antonov and a Let.

No tailgate or balloon or chopper yet, all on my wishlist!

I think every plane has its advantages/disadvantages: I sit really cramped in the porter but it's quick and the door's big, the twin otters are definitely great, but there's a lot of canopies in the air at the same time, I like hanging from the strut of a 182 but it takes it sweet time, the biplane (antonov) was cool but it was also really really slow, the fokker is definitely way way cool(fast!!!).

But our own plane is the best of course: cessna grand caravan.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I did all my AFF (not L8) in a Let 410 and I loved it! When I booked the course I seen the centres 182 and thought " I dont want to stand on the wheel of that thing". But when i went on the day of my L1, there was a lovely Let 410 waiting to go. The door is big and is perfect (i think) for dive exits, which I love doing! My level 8 was in the 182 and I didnt really like sitting IN an open door on take off! But the dive exit from the 182 was amazing and I think I'll grow to like the 182 (apart from the length of time it takes to reach altitude)

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

My list is only about half as big as Winsor's.

Cessnas - cozy and like coming home. People who jump Cessanas DO become better fast at RW, you have to because you have less altitude. And, they learn to spot - sadly missing nowadays. However, I'll always an Otter over anything else. (but the Helio Stallion was cool).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

half as big as Winsor's

If its only 1/2, its still good! lol

Letsee...
Cessna 180, 182, 206
Cessna Caravan
King Air
Beech 18
Pilatus Porter
Let 410
Twin Otter
Skyvan
Casa
Mr Douglas
That big chopper at Quincy (sory, I'm not a plane wizz)
That biplane at Quincy (see above wizz-waiver)
Connie
Herc 130 (droool)
Antonov 72 (even more droool)

And yes, Cessnas are great for 4 way and learning to jump and fly. Now that I enjoy larger formations, they dont have the same appeal though.... but if thats what there is, it sure is better then complaining!
Remster

Lessee...

Otter
C-182
C-206
C-207 (!)
King Air
Queen Air (bleh)
Caravan
C-130
Balloon

Not a huge list, but I defintely enjoyed the c-130!

What really gets me is the AN-2 biplane that is sitting at our DZ's airprt, just itching to be jumped, but the FAA considers it an "experimental" aircraft, so we can't jump out of it! ARGH! That's what it was made for! We even talked to the owner and he said he'd be glad to fly us.

Oh well, no "AN-2 boogie" coming anytime soon...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

DC-3 -- Historic. Probably one of the most written about airplanes ever. ...

Slower to climb than just about any other large aircraft, but you'll love every minute of it if you soak up the history.
See http://www.centercomp.com/dc3/

Ha - 1 hour 15 minutes climbing to 20,000ft, and I only enjoyed the first 30 minutes. Take a blanket!

Jumping out of a Pitts S2C was pretty cool.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My first 2 jumps were out of a 207 and the next two - 182, which of course is considerably smaller. I liked the 207 exits much more b/c of the feeling - there's nothing above&under you, while in 182 you're standing on the step, under the wing, and it's just less excitement... well, with door exits it doesn't make that much difference I guess.

we have a 182 and a beech 99 at our DZ. there is also a king air there that i am told is the actual plane from point break (but to that i cannot confirm).

i started AFF jumping out the rear left door from the beech 99, holding 18 jumpers. my reserve side is outside on a step, i am stading in the door, and my main jm is behind me. i jump, eyes to my right looking toward the left wing/left engine. i have to twist clockwise and get my right arm up and get my chest into the relative wind on exit. my first AFF jump exit was descibed literally as stellar, but i was not comfortable with the prop blast off the wing and getting tossed off to an angle. one other jump, i lost my main jm on exit, and the weight of my reserve jm out the door put us twisting up and to the left, ending almost vertical. mind you, i only have breif recollection of this as i was focusing on retaining the integrity of my underwear. turns out i recovered nicely and all was swell. and hey, back came my main jm.

BUT, what a TREAT when i tried the 182 last week. holy easy batman. i was apprehensive stepping out onto the wing, but the slow airspeed and the feeling of being out of the plane for a moment was like playing superman (i'm wearing a cape under my suit next time). i just let go, and i was in arch-ville. loved it. i came into the pack are later like a 5 year old screaming that was SO COOL! everyone got a chuckle from that, not hearing too many people loving the 182...

edit - clickied the link

Hey J!

I appreciate your take on what you're jumping.

AWKWARD to learn with. the exit takes , like...1-2-3-4 steps to do: Step out onto step over wheel, grab strut, look forward (then this little exit dance, up-down-step) backward - ARCH!

I gotta think that EXITING FORWARDS with a leap really would be so much easier- at least psychologically!
But I gotta admit, the arch and stability IS (or has been) easy for me with 182s so far.

What really gets me jittery is the LONG RIDE TO ALTITUDEin 182s!

Any plane is a joy to jump out of. Even the Cessna 20? that took over 50 min to 9,000 in Oz - got a good nap in :)W/ only 85 jumps... I think i'm doing good...
Cessna 182 (like your own personal plane)
Cessna 20? (slow!!)
Cresco (fast to altitude, slows down amazingly for exit)
Pilatus Porter (like home)
Super Otter (typical, great plane - know I'm spoiled)
Grand Caravan (like an Otter)
CASA (OMG FUN!!)
SkyVan (OMG FUN!! & if you're lucky enough to get to sit on the floor's sweet spot :$)

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Could take a step down in size - the -172. Like a -182 - except one less jumper. The best plane to be in if you like enjoying the view and the feel of the wind (no one can tell ya to close the door, cuz there ain't none) - a little unnerving though if it catches thermals at 100 feet after takeoff.