johnny1488

Chest strap undone

A jumper this weekend had their chest strap come undone on exit. It was a 2 way dive with one person taking the others chest strap as a grip. It came undone right out of the door. The rest of the jump was the 2 of them trying to get it threaded. The jumper deployed with arms in front of them and bent at the elbows and immediatly grabbed the risers on opening. The jumper landed without further incident.
CHECK YOUR SHIT!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

What was the container/harness system and was it routed properly.

I've always been concerned about certain gear manufactures that don't sew the doubled back stop at the end of the chest strap, I've been worried that this sort of scenero could happen.

I'm glad the jumper was ok (but probably scared shitless).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

did they get it rerouted properly? (im guessing not due to how he deployed with arms out and bent)

Can anyone suggest what is probably the best way to deploy if you should hypothetically find yourself in a similar situation and can't reroute the strap before pull time? Proper gear checks will not need us to provide an answer to this, but as we have just read - and do read - not everyone is always as vigilant as they should be i guess [:/]

Glad the guy was ok though!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Too many, and it annoys me.
Its just one buckle.
Its right there under your nose.
Its inexcusable.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I think it must have been routed incorrectly originally. A chest strap that is undone and the jumper is aware of it is not much of a problem. It is the ones that aren't known to the jumper that are a problem.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I seriously dont understand how someone can route a chest strap wrong? I guess I can fathom how someone can FORGET to route their chest strap at all. But I mean, wouldnt the chest strap buckle look pretty damn weird with it misrouted? How could he/she NOT CATCH THAT MISTAKE! >:(

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Had one do that with me on a 4 way when i had about 800 jumps. Didn't know anything was wrong until the rig suddenly slid down passed my elbows. Bent both arms just in time to catch it and get it back above my elbows, threw the pilot chute and hugged my chest as tight as I could. As much as I'd like to think it was the rig's fault, it was pretty obvious that I did a crappy preflight. Not only did I almost kill myself, I screwed up the skydive for the other folks[:/] Have someone give you a gear check before boarding and a pin check before exiting, doesn't take long and people are always glad to do it.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I seriously dont understand how someone can route a chest strap wrong? I guess I can fathom how someone can FORGET to route their chest strap at all. But I mean, wouldnt the chest strap buckle look pretty damn weird with it misrouted? How could he/she NOT CATCH THAT MISTAKE! >:(

Saw a student come down from an AFF level 5 jump and he said his chest strap came loose as he was opening. After the dive the video that was shot just before boarding the aircraft was reviewed and you could see that the chest strap was routed over the buckle instead of through it. When asked who geared him up, the student said that he did it himself. When confronted about this the instructor said he had observed the gearing up and didn't notice anything wrong. Three gear checks later by 2 other instructors, the student got aboard the aircraft with an improperly routed rig.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

We all believe "it will never happen to me" but, on two occasions in the past three years I have been on the airplane doing my 3-3-3 check only to find I had miss-routed the chest strap myself. What concerned me as much was that no one on the airplane noticed it until I pointed it out. And yes, I did have a gear check.

Remember your 3's and check everyone on the ride up.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

I think we have all seen this at least once. And we all think "it will never happen to me."

But obviously it does happen. Somebody is not paying attention. Or a whole LOT of somebody's. It's easy to get distracted by other things. But it's just as easy to make a proper gear check an integral part of every skydive.

Be responsible for your own thorough gear check. Don't rely on someone else to do it for you. As we can see by this thread, anyone (even an AFF rated jumpmaster) can miss it.

I NEVER get on the plane without visually and physically checking my chest strap (as well as every other part of the rig). And I use the time on the ride to altitude to visually check the gear of those around me. I have caught more than one misrouted chest strap in the plane on the ride up just by looking around!

I put this in a similar thread.
I got this advice after i had also mis-routed my chest strap... i couldn't believe that i had done it ... and i still can't.

I now ask myself two questions before i get on the load and before i move to the door,

Q1: Am i going to fall out of my kit ?
Q2: Can i reach all of my handles ?

these questions and other great advise came from a great guy called Freddy from Skydive St. Andrews in Scotland.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

.. i couldn't believe that i had done it ... and i still can't.

same here... but I did... now I look at it, feel it, look at it again... make sure it's done...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

it can happen,
and almost happened to me too on one of my first solo jumps

the guy who checked me missed it too, and another j/m noticed it.
student rigs usually get one check on the ground and one while climbing.

luck? reminder? warning sign? all of the above. :|

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

it can happen,
and almost happened to me too on one of my first solo jumps

the guy who checked me missed it too, and another j/m noticed it.
student rigs usually get one check on the ground and one while climbing.

luck? reminder? warning sign? all of the above. :|

O

It can come with complacency. If you expect all is okay, that may be what you "see".

Those of you who have jumped with TLML and me may have observed that we give each other gear checks before every jump. A couple months ago, I noticed that I had misrouted my chest strap and made a mental note to correct it; as Lynn was standing before me waiting for me to check her gear, I decided to leave it for the moment.

I checked her gear out and gave her the ok then waited for her to check me. She did her usual chacks then slapped my container to indicate all was fine. At this point I turned back to face her and pulled my chest strap off.

She was suitably chagrined.

We discussed this a bit and she gave me another check after I properly routed the chest strap.

Bottom line, don't just look, LOOK!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I've always been concerned about certain gear manufactures that don't sew the doubled back stop at the end of the chest strap, I've been worried that this sort of scenero could happen.

My rig's cheststrap is like this( not doubled at the end and a little short). When showing it to another jumper I noticed it was not always that way. It was cut off and hot-knifed on the end. Wonder why?
...mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

What was the container/harness system and was it routed properly.

I'm glad the jumper was ok (but probably scared shitless).

What mfg. doesn't double it back?

I have a new mirage g 3 and i got the hip rings and b12s.when i put my rig on i fasten the chest strap first then hook the b12s and that keeps me from missing it.i read about a lady that fell out of her rig sometime back and it scared me to think that might happen to me! i check and double check my gear on the ride up! we can ask someone else to check our gear but its our responsibility to take care of ourselves.***if you are going to be stupid you better be tough

I have a jav with the small chest strap. Honestly if your chest strap is done properly I dont think there is anyway it could come undone, doubled or not. I let mine out all the way under canopy and it still has 4 inches or so left over. If that is how loose you have your chest strap I would pull it tighter for you.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome