Hooknswoop

Tandem Instructors: Helmets?

There will be a proposal before the board to create a BSR requiring helmets for tandem Instructors and passengers (as well as AFFI's).

1. Tandem Instructors, do you wear a helmet on tandem jumps?

2. Why or why not?

3. If yes, what type of helmet?

4. Do you have your passenger wear a helmet?

5. Why or why not?

6. If yes, what type?

7. Have you changed your helmet policy for tandems?

8. If yes, how?

9. What rigs are you rated on?

10. How many tandem jumps do you have?

My answers:

1. No
2. I have found it isn't that hard to keep from getting hit on the head while doing tandems. I don't feel it is necessary. Hard helmets are a bad idea and Frap hats are almost worthless and can make an impact worse. I have found that good communication with the student, not blocked by a helmet, can prevent the need for a helmet.
3. N/A
4. No
5. Same reasons as 2., above. The better they can hear me, the less anxiety they have. If they can't hear me or misunderstand me, it can cause more problems than wearing a helmet solves.
6. N/A
7. Yes
8. I used to have my passenger wear a Frap hat and I used to wear a Bone-head, open face hard helmet.
9. Eclipse, Vector, Sigma, USPA Tandem I/E
10. 899

Hook

1. Yes.
2. Hey, protect my nogg'n, you never know what'll happen. I tend to wear one more often now, since being in a plane crash.
3. Bonehead Mindwarp
4. No
5. Why? A hardshell would hurt the TM and a frap hat is worst for your head then not wearing one.
6. n/a
7. No.
8. n/a
9. RWS (Vector/Sigma)
10. 25 as of 7-3-03 (goes up every weekend B|)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yes

2. Why or why not?

A riser can slap your ear off, a bad landing can finish up with you on your head.

rigid protec

I let them choose, if they wear over glasses goggles I strongly advise one.

6. If yes, what type?

soft leather, better for the TM's keeping a nice smile

n/a

Strong

700+

I've only jumped without some type of head protection 2 times out of 2700 jumps, but thats just me.

jumpervali

1. Usually.

2. It's a good place to keep a Dytter and on the Strongs it lessens the pain of a riser slap.

3. Frap.

4. Usually.

5. I guess since I was taught that it's supposed to protect my face. In hindsight it really didn't do much for me the one time I got bonked in the nose. Now I try and keep my head out of the way.

6. Frap.

7. Yes.

8. I'm more flexible on going without lately.

9. Vector, Strong.

10. 406.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

Here at Raeford we have the following rules:

Passenger wears a frap hat.

TM wears a helmet one level harder. I wear my Pimp Mindwarp and my other TM's wear my two penis mindwarps or whatever other hard helmet they own.

Reasons? I want my passengers wearing something on their heads that is not going to hurt me if they head-butt me. We wear hard helmets so that is we see the head-butt coming we can turn our heads and avoid scars on our chins like I have currently (under my goatee). I have done many a tandem with no helmet, but have no problem abiding by our school SOP. Besides, my helmet is totally cool. :ph34r:

Chuck

There will be a proposal before the board to create a BSR requiring helmets for tandem Instructors and passengers (as well as AFFI's).

Yes..

2. Why or why not?

to protect my hearing (love my music, but as I lose my hearing I lose my love for my music... huge crime! ) And to prevent the worst damage from riser slap.

frap hat... can't check the drogue and such very well with a protec or other hard hat... the big container stops my head swivel.

Yes, frap hat... for their protection, (hearing and otherwise... makes a good puke bucket if needed on the ride up...I take care of the airplane owners too.)

5. Why or why not?

See above...

6. If yes, what type?

see above...

no

8. If yes, how?

N/A

Strong, Vector, Eclipse

~900 in the back and almost 300 up front.

Chris

Yes

2. Why or why not?

To mitigate riser slap and door frame slap. Also I do not want to get my ear sewn back on like Steve.

Pro-Tec, but if I had the bucks, a pimped out Bonehead G3.

Yes

5. Why or why not?

To keep them warm and a silly regulation

6. If yes, what type?

Leather Frap hat or padded Cordura hat.

Yes, a decade ago

8. If yes, how?

Painful PLF

Strong, Vector and Racer

1. Yes, Nvertigo with two dytters
2. Protect my noggin
3. Nvertigo - open face with one Pro Dytter & one Pro Track
4. Yes - Always
5. To protect their noggin
6. Frap
7. No.
8. N/A
9. Eclipse and Vector soon
10. 25

P.S. I always adjust their harness leg straps to take the pressure off the artery, so they don't get the heaves.

YES

2. Why or why not?

THE EAR STORY CAUGHT MY ATTENTION A YEAR AGO, AND IT'S DZ POLICY

FRAP HAT

IN THE WINTER YES, SUMMER NO

5. Why or why not?

THE FRAP ACTS MORE AS A COMFORT THING IN THE COLD WINTER. UNLESS THERE WERE HARSH CIRCUMSTANCES, I DON'T SEE IT PROTECTING MUCH; IN THE SUMMER IT IS BEST TO LET THEM 'FEEL' THE SKYDIVE MORE. I'VE HAD NO PROBLEMS COMMUNICATING WITH OR WITHOUT A STUDENT HELMETED.

6. If yes, what type?

IF I'M WEARIN A FRAP, THEY ARE.

7. Have you changed your helmet policy for tandems? 8. If yes, how?

YES, MY FIRST YEAR I DID NOT WEAR A HELMET, THEN I GOT STRONG RATED AND GOT SCARED. THAT EAR STORY STILL FREAKS ME OUT. I BRING A PROTRACK WITH ME ALSO AND STUDENTS LOVE TO HEAR SPECIFICLY HOW FAST WE WENT AND ALL THAT OTHER INFO...FRAPPER IS GOOD TO CARRY THAT ALSO.

SIGMA/VECTOR2, STRONG, ECLIPSE

400+

J.Neas

No.

2. Why or why not?

I've never come close to being hit by anything.

N/A

No.

5. Why or why not?

I don't have a supply of different sized soft helmets.
Wearing a hard helmet poses a risk to me, and thus to them.

6. If yes, what type?

N/A

No

8. If yes, how?

N/A

Vector

It's the year of the Pig.

Frap hat

2. Why or why not?

I tried hard helmets, its harder to deal with. I like to pull my goggles up after opening, and it is easier with a frap hat.

Frap hat

5. Why or why not?

That should be obviouos

6. If yes, what type?

DZ policy says that tandem students wear frap hats. TI's wear hat or helmet. Its always been that way.

8. If yes, how?

Strong

How do ya like it Johnny?

Yes

2. Why or why not?

General bump protection, riser-slap protection, light hearing protection, audible altimeter mount, warmth (Winter)

Frap Hat

Yes

5. Why or why not?

For them: general bump protection, light hearing protection, warmth (Winter), long hair containment. For me: moderate head-butt protection.

6. If yes, what type?

Frap hat

Nope. I have kept the same one since I started.

8. If yes, how?

N/A

Vector. Sigma, Strong

Having just found out about the USPA proposal, I have not "ruminated" on it enough yet to have an opinion.
Arrive Safely

John

Yes.

2. Why or why not?
To protect my noggin.

Frap.

Yes.

5. Why or why not?
General DZ policy.

6. If yes, what type?
Frap.

No.

8. If yes, how?

Strong

~30

Depends. During the summer no. During the winter I wear a frap hat. Actually to add on to this, I have never had riser cover flappage on a Vector but on an Eclipse those riser covers will wack the shit out of you. So if I was jumping an Eclipse I would wear my frap hat all year.

2. Why or why not?
Frap Hats keeps my ears warm during the winter. And they protect my ears if I happen to jump a Eclipse tandem rig. These days I happen to jump Vectors mainly.

See above

If it's really cold in the winter I offer a frap hat to keep my students ears warm but other than that, no.

5. Why or why not?
I have not had nor do I forsee a siutation where I or my student will wack their head.

6. If yes, what type?
Frap hat sometimes...

No

8. If yes, how?
Not applicable

Vector, Eclipse

10. How many tandem jumps do you have
1,000 approx...B|

I wear a frap hat while doing tandems, and have my student do the same. I pay attention to my head while exiting the aircraft. I can still hear my Dytter in a frap hat. I don't have to worry about a student with a hard helmet breaking my nose. I can still communicate with my student fine under canopy. I usually ask them to turn their head toward me and I put my ear close to their mouth. I am rated on strong gear and am coming up on 400 tandems.

Only in the winter when the air is so cold it hurts my ears (one maybe two weekends here in Florida)

2. Why or why not?

I don't normally jump with a helmet, why change. I only wear a helmet on freefly jumps and then only recently. I become uncomfortable and less aware with a helmet on, end of story.

In the winter, I wear a frap hat.

Only for two reasons, they are wearing glasses and frap hats seem to help the over the glasses goggles stay on better. Wintertime, when the comfort of warm ears is needed. I must say here though that many times in the winter I will have a student wear one and I don't.

5. Why or why not?

One reason foremost, people look so much different in pictures with a helmet on. There is very little added protection for the passenger, so make the picture look good.

6. If yes, what type?

Frap hat or some sort of soft head cover.

No, and would hate to be forced to.

8. If yes, how?

N/A

Vector/Sigma, Strong and Jumpshack

I haven't heard of this policy wanting to be implemented. Who has started this and for what reason? Has there been a tandem accident/fatality do to an instructor not wearing a helmet?

I have been doing tandems for twelve years now with none of the issues I see listed in some of these threads. I have zero, I repeat ZERO tandem malfunctions in the over 220 hundred tandems I have done. I take great pride in this fact, but also realize that I pack 99% of the tandem rigs I jump. I also am very meticulious about how they are maintained.

I have also done two tandems on demos into NFL football games. I have taken as many as fifty handicapped passengers (definitely special concerns, but still no helmet). With this kind of experience, I am not sure that I want to be forced to change something because someone has deemed it so. So as far as I am concerned, a helmet policy does nothing to enhance the safety of a tandem jump.
blue skies,

art

YES

2. Why or why not?

WE ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR SOME SORT OF HEAD PROTECTION. I AGREE WITH THIS RULE

FRAP HAT, I'D WEAR A HARD HELMET BUT I FOUND IT MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO HEAR THE STUDENT.

ONLY IN THE WINTER TIME.

5. Why or why not?

TO KEEP THEIR HEAD WARM

6. If yes, what type?

FRAP HAT

NO

8. If yes, how?

STRONG AND VECTOR/SIGMA

David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

2. I have found it isn't that hard to keep from getting hit on the head while doing tandems. I don't feel it is necessary. Hard helmets are a bad idea and Frap hats are almost worthless and can make an impact worse. I have found that good communication with the student, not blocked by a helmet, can prevent the need for a helmet.

5. Why? A hardshell would hurt the TM and a frap hat is worst for your head then not wearing one.

Hooknswoop and Aggiedave, please explain how a frap hat is worse than nothing.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

A helmet's design is to absorb an impact and spread it over a greater area. A frap hat's design takes an impact and concentrates it on a single point (the "ribs" of the frap hat) on your head. If you actually take a hit hard that's hard enough to cause injury, a frap hat will concentrate that hit and possibly make the injury worst.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

> There will be a proposal before the board to create a BSR requiring helmets for tandem Instructors and passengers (as well as AFFI's).

I do not support a BSR regarding this.

First of all I am delighted to find that most instructors responding use head protection for themselves and their student.

>
Yes

2. Why or why not?
I can hit my head on something just like on any skydive. I almost always wear a helmet.

ProTec

Yes. There have only been 3 times that I haven't, and 2 of those are when an acceptable size hat was not available.

5. Why or why not?
They can hit their head on something. I have seen it happen to other instructors whose students did not wear one.

6. If yes, what type?
Frappe Hat, not much protection, but at least something.

No, always been that.

8. If yes, how?

Strong Dual Hawk

About 800

A helmet's design is to absorb an impact and spread it over a greater area. A frap hat's design takes an impact and concentrates it on a single point (the "ribs" of the frap hat) on your head. If you actually take a hit hard that's hard enough to cause injury, a frap hat will concentrate that hit and possibly make the injury worst.

I would be real interested in seeing any data you have to support your hypothesis on this point. I fail to see how having something with padding between your head and the object hitting it can be worse than nothing at all.
David