Fireflyer

How did they do that? - July issue of Parachutist

exactly, it was a hop and pop. Andy did much the same jump off Lucas's shoulders at an insanely low altitude during the Strawberry fest......of course he has a BASE canopy, but it was probably the most ballsy thing ive ever seen...

some people are simple amazing.

that is what makes skydiving the most fasinating sport ever...there are so many wild and unusual things one can do, which simply dazzle the minds of those who dont participate...and the minds of many who do. I think that pictures speaks volumes about the sport. Who would have thouht of it 35 years ago...or skysurfing, or base jumping etc etc etc. I applaud guys that do the unusual....and nowadays...you dont get suspended for life for doing them. Good stuff. GREAT PICTURE BILL COLE D-41 Canada

thats just nuts. i almost fall OUT OF MYSELF on opening. newbie disease? ;-)

I've done that once or twice via SL on one of the Student Rigs, It's a hell of a lot of fun - but you need to sit back and think about the added risks an activity like that poses.
I wish i would have thought about that more before i did it. :|
=========Shaun ==========

Ok, somebody needs to tell this newbie how the hell this occurred. Its like chicken and the egg - did the canopy flyer open up and catch the freefaller? ...or did the the guy on the shoulders open with the guy under canopy?:S

Here's the deal!
two people plan the jump together.

usually they jump a LARGE rig (sometimes the use a tandem) due to the added weight.

then they go to the desired altitude and jump. they open immediately so they dont get ripped apart(with a Tandem rig you can hook onto each other)

once the canopy is determined flyable the hanger-on starts his /her climb!

they talk some smack to each other ...then the hanger-on goes for his second jump!

when they land they hi five and share a beer over the story;)
My photos

My Videos

back in the 1970s, a guy from Ohio and myself were going to do something like that, both exiting together on a 45 ft round cargo canopy. We had decided to do it at an air show, he wearing the harness, and me attached to him with long risers.hanging about 10 feet below his boots. We would have landed in a lake, so that wouldnt have hurt. Anyhow someone got wind of it, CSPA screamed and had all their puppets call the air show people, and they made us cancel that type of jump. Oh well, it was a good idea anyhow.

Yeah, base canopy in an accuracy rig.

ja, i did specify canopy..;)

since the skies are low and grey here are a few pics..no where as nice as the one in parachutist.

mrbill02.jpg

mrbill01.jpg

mrbill03.jpg

Saw a freaky sight at Lake Annecy in France a couple of years ago. It's a popular spot for hang-gliding and paragliding (I was doing the former).

There's a lot of tandem activity, and another one taking off from Col de Forclaz doesn't raise a murmer. But this one flew straight out toward the lake (it's 2600' vertically from take-off to the landing field by the lakeside). After a couple of minutes, a figure was seen to fall away; short delay and a skydiving-type canopy appears (hey, could be a BASE canopy, but who'd know?). Wow, cool, we all thought.

Gets me thinking about a dual hang-glider, aerotowed to altitude, 321cya, cutaway somehow, deploy, hide in a hedge. Do you think the BHPA would revoke my dual rating?

John