rendezvous

How was your experience taking the rig as carry on

Every time I've left Atlanta with a rig I've been stopped and questioned. And for some reason they always want to open both pins. In the end, however, they've let me get on with it. Leaving Chicago Midway and Phoenix, Arizona, they didn't even take a second look.

I have made a couple of trips over the last month or so and have had no problems at all. Before the rules required that you keep you checked luggage unlocked I would just check in a hard case but now I dont want to risk doing that and lettting a parachute uninformed TSA guy decide he needs to do something stupid to my gear.

I have a gear bag that I can put on my shoulder like a back pack. It has nothing skydiving related on it, it just looks like a bag for a trip. I dont say anything about it to the screeners and dont act nervous.

At 3 different airports I have had no problems. I think if you just act normally and if there is a question you dont BS the guy or treat him poorly you should not have any problems.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

i was travelling alot last year and didnt have to many issues at all, I always make a point to ask about parachutes on check in to see if the airline can give me a print out of thier policy, but i've only had to show it once...usually the xrayers never blink at my rig in a bag or out, and i've never had to show my cypress card.

from the horror stories i've read about i've been lucky.

I can't count the number of times I've taken mine carry-on. The worst problem I ever had was resolved by showing the Cypres card.

I usually fly out of O'Hare or Midway, and these trips include flights to the east, west, south coast and Canada.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I haven't had any problems flying out of O'Hare or Orlando. They questioned me a bit at O'Hare (they didn't seem to know what it was) but eventually let me go after about 5 min. of scratching their heads, looking confused, talking among themselves, and asking me a few questions.

I voted on:

Security folks had a closer look at it but let you go without much questioning

cause most times I have my weights in that same bag. The weights are what cause the attention.

I have done a lot of traveling this year, and have carried on and checked in without a problem.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The security people were once concerned when I refused to open "the top bit on my rucksack" but other than that no problems. A Spanish security bloke once called his mate and I thought I was in trouble but turns out he used to jump and just wanted to explain what the bits did.
The main problem I have is carrying the strips of lead for my wieght vest as they get concerned when the x-ray machine shows strips of dark material which could be confused with something else :)
ADAM
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I only had a problem in Palm Springs last January and it was solved by a nice lady who was a TSA Supervisor. Otherwise, I had no problems at all recently in Houston or at Midway. The TSA screener at Midway new it was a parachute and just said to be safe and have a nice flight.

Chris

No problems to date, although I usually put my rig in the hold and I don't have a CYPRES. Understandably they don't like the sound of an "explosive device" - with or without a CYPRES card! If I'm borrowing kit with one, I just don't mention it... The X-ray people always seem more preoccupied with my pop-top and weight vest anyway.

Steph
-x-

I've had pretty much all the mentioned scenarios happen to me-- and this is all post-9/11. My first experience was that they didn't bat and eyelash, didn't even unpack my carry-on to see what the metal was all about. Since then, I've had the major hassle, pulling out cypres cards, airline approval manuals, etc. and ultimately being allowed to take it on the plane, but being forced to leave them up near the flight attendants. The last time I flew back from the tunnel to CA, I had a MAJOR hassle, so much so that they forced me to check my bag. I was NOT happy. Basically, now I dread traveling with my gear-- sorry to be so negative, but it definitely, sucks.>:(

basically never had problems, even carrying the rig directly on my back. Once in Zurich the security girl asked me what was in the bag, and when I explained her, she sighed and told me I was so brave... She then didn't pick up the line when I told her that if I was carrying my chute, it was because I was scared of airplanes... ;-)
In Paris, they will not let you with a chute as carry on... It is considered a weapon of fourth category (don't know what else gets in this category...)
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Never had a problem.
Have flown commercialy with my rig as carry on 6 times round trip since Sept. 11. Flown from chicago to Boston/logan, Green bay to Dallas, Chicago to Portland, and a few others.
They take an extra look at the Xray machine but thats it.
Chris
It's good to be the pilot.

Travelled to Australia via Singapore and Malaysia. No problems from Malaysia and Singapore, but the Australia card as a tiny hassle. I showed them the Cypress card and they just x-rayed it.

I told them not to open it and they were fine.
www.motavi.com