Vertifly

Tandem Tears. ???

Today, I saw a tandem student cry, literally, all the way to altitude. Never saw anything like it. Obviously, she just took a plane ride back down. Felt so sorry for the girl. Yikes!!!!

You can get cheaper flights to Florida and back again.

Anyone ever experience this?

I have seen this also. One of our homegrown tandem instructors quote "bullied" his mother into coming out and doing a tandem on mothers day. About 8000' she started saying she didn't want to go. She started shedding tears shortly thereafter. Although she was not sobbing, it was fairly obvious that she did not want to skydive. I was flying camera, and one other jumper (WINGNUT) was coming to do RW with the tandem. I was spotting and started climbout a little early, anticipating that it may take a while to get this lady out of the plane. I climbed out on the camera step of the T-Bone and Wingnut was on the wing. The Tandem pair got to the door and about half way out when mom locked up on the sides of the doorframe like a cat being flushed down a toilet. After approx. 60 seconds of trying to wrestle this poor woman out the door, the instructor gave up and made the decision to ride down. Wingnut and I did an impromptu freefly jump and both pulled high because we were 3/4 of a mile south of the airport by the time we left. Happy Mother's Day.

No, but I did shoot a Tandem Video were the guy pukes. It happens under canopy from time to time. But what I thought was fun, is he had the reflex motions on the plane around 4-5k. I knew it would be trouble, so we tried to give him as much air as possible (it's not easy on a full King Air load). Anyways, he was all thumbs up in the air so I thought he might be ok. However, when I saw him back on the ground there were nice little stains on his suit and harness. Afterwards, I told him that I thought he was gonna lose it in the plane. He said he did, but just swallowed it back down.

YUM!

The Tandem pair got to the door and about half way out when mom locked up on the sides of the doorframe like a cat being flushed down a toilet. Happy Mother's Day.

You have a real gift for words, you oughta write a book or teach English lit. "Like a cat being flushed down the toilet", gawd I love that ! Guy musta really loved his mama to fight like that with her fer a whole minute. Bet a lot of old scores were settled that day....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The Tandem pair got to the door and about half way out when mom locked up on the sides of the doorframe like a cat being flushed down a toilet. Happy Mother's Day.

You have a real gift for words, you oughta write a book or teach English lit. "Like a cat being flushed down the toilet", gawd I love that ! Guy musta really loved his mama to fight like that with her fer a whole minute. Bet a lot of old scores were settled that day....

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
OMG, I almost pee'd my pants I laughed so hard. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

One of our homegrown tandem instructors quote "bullied" his mother into coming out and doing a tandem on mothers day. About 8000' she started saying she didn't want to go. She started shedding tears shortly

He must not have like his mother to put her through that. I certainly don't think very highly of someone that would attempt to force someone to skydive much less someone who would do that to their own mother.

I can't really imagine what a cat going down the toilet will do. BRB, i'm gunna go grab Lelo and see what he does when i try it on him........
I'd post the video, but then i would get sicked by the humane society.

Put those black bars over the cats face, like they do on Real TV when they want to protect someones identity..

never pull low......unless you are

Hmm... we have to fight to keep our cat out of the toilet.

If I ever leave the seat up and the door open when I leave, I know I'll find him with his front paws in up to his elbows later.

The cat eats the neighbours' fish a lot, maybe he's just hoping one will turn up?

(Further downside: this is the same cat that likes to find sleeping people and walk around on their heads until they wake up. Do the math... :S)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I saw exactly this on one of my last jumps...Tandem passenger was sobbing and crossing herself all the time from gearing up, walking to the plane and throughout the ride to altitude! The last thing I saw as I jumped was her crying and looking terrified...HOWEVER...she insisted she still wanted to jump and loved it! The video shows her beaming and grinning all the way down...although she said once was definitely enough!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

When I brought my GF for a tandem last year, she was all gung-ho until we got there. Then I could see a little nervousness. It got progressively worse until it came time to fill out the forms when she started crying. She wasn't sobbing and still wanted to go. Just, her eyes kept welling up and, well, crying. She was pretty embarassed about it. I chalked it up to nerves but was pretty confused about it. She had a great tandem after all.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

For my first tandem, I was all laughy and jokey on the ride up- until I saw my friend jump out in front of me- then I wigged for the 20 seconds before I was in free-fall. I was subsequently really nervous on my second tandem. I could feel the lump in my throat that precedes actual tears, but I fought it back and had a great jump. I still felt that way occasionally during AFF, especially if I hadn't jumped in a few weeks...

Of course, I'm fine now... B|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

For my first tandem, I was all laughy and jokey on the ride up- until I saw my friend jump out in front of me...

This is VERY similar to what I went through also.

Laughing and very expressive because of nervousness all the way to altitude in a Cessna 206 (about 45 minutes) at Sussex.

This goes back a bunch of years, but I can actually remember Mike Hagar saying to another Tandem-Master, "Isn't it funny when people are nervous how they laugh at everything they hear." LOL He was directly referring to me of course.

My girlfriend, at the time, went out first. I remember thinking, 'wow, it's been a while since I was single. that's weird.. :S'

Of I went... petrified until we hit terminal...and then my eyes were opened to a new world...:o

Had a guy on a tandem that was all gung ho until the door opened on, I believe, Mullin's Turbo Stallion and when it came our time to jump, the student said, in a very frightened voice, something about "can I back out now" and I told him no, we only dirt dived a diving exitB| We went ahead with the jump and when we got down he was SOOOOO greatful that that he got to jump. It would have been too bad if he hadn't because he came back and went thuough AFF.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.