callmewhuffo

Would you let a non jumper pack your reserve??

hi, im the whuffo wife of a novice skydiver, but i have always been interested in rigging, and the mechanics and technicalities that go into skydiving. i dont really have the desire to jump, but i love the sport and all of the people that make it so wonderful. now, im working on trying to figure out what i need to do to become a rigger, but am getting hot and cold opinions as to whether or not people would actually LET me touch their stuff lol. so i started this poll. be honest, it wont hurt my feelings!

PS: im in the chicago area so if any of you know a rigger who doesnt mind taking on whuffos as apprentices, i wouldnt be opposed to that info ;)

Blue Skies and God Bless!

I know of a 16-year-old girl who packs (well, from what I hear). I also know of people who paid for their student progression (or at least a large part of it) by packing. I also go to other dzs and have people pack my rig. I don't know, nor do I care, if they jump or not--as long as the opening is good, I'll have them pack again.

Being a skydiver does not inherently mean you can pack, nor vice versa.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I don't care weather my rigger is a jumper or not. As long as they know what they are doing. Thier are some FAA apr. rigers that I would not let touch my rig for any reason. I don't care if they have thier ticket or not. The ticket just means that the FAA is ok with you doing the work. It doesn't alwase mean you know what you are doing. If you know what you are doing most ppl will not care but YOU have to prove you know what you are doing. Best of luck I hope you get alot of knolage out of the prosses.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

I'd say do a tandem, you're a skydiver if you do one jump. And that way you'll remember your jump when packing someone reserve. Besides having your skydiving picture hanging in your loft will help out for those customers that might have a problem with the non-jumping rigger.

I would have a non-skydiving FAA certified rigger pack a reserve for me anyday. Just because they may not be a jumper doesn't mean they won't do a good job. You would be surprised at the number of people who build the parachutes that are not jumpers. I listened to a story from a parachute manufacturer who took some of his sewing staff to the DZ for an observer ride so they could see the importance of his quality demands. They had a much better understanding of the downstream customer needs after that.

jumpervali

easy one: "Never in a million years" no way someone who was not a skydiver be qualified enough, even with a riggers certificate to be able to visualize each and every type of mal and how to handle it, and the importance of making every crease, every fold correctly. i am speaking for myself only, no one else.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Hmmm.... so now I am just your "pilot's wife"... :) (And John is just your pilot/??) :)

To the person asking the question- if you are interested-- Do it. if you are going to do it- do it right... and keep working with active, current riggers.
I decided flying was more fun than rigging so I let the rigging slip to the wayside but still have fun at the dz. Instrument/commercial checkride on Monday... :)

rg

"If you're not on the centerline -you're out of control"

hey man to each their own but

no way someone who was not a skydiver be qualified enough, even with a riggers certificate to be able to visualize each and every type of mal and how to handle it,

What the hell does that have to do with packing a reserve? I don't care if you know how to pack, and handle every malfunction possible, no riggers ticket, no way I'm letting you pack my reserve.

and the importance of making every crease, every fold correctly

I'm pretty sure a rigger understands that better than the average jumper.

But hey man, like I said, to each their own. In the end it's what you feel comfortable with, if for you that's a skydiver/rigger so be it.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

i am speaking for myself only, no one else.

assuming your literate, what part about this statement don't you understand? someone asked my opinon, i offered, no reason for diversion into "left field" chill out.
--Richard--

I don't see how being an active jumper makes you a better rigger. Obtaining the riggers ticket is hard work and there is no room for error. Since i'm a rigger, i pack my own, but if i wasn't i wouldn't care if you were a jumper or not.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

In general, no, I wouldn't because I don't think a non-jumper can fully appreciate the importance of what they're doing and the consequences of doing it wrong.

Would you let a mechanic fix your brakes if they couldn't drive? I don't know but I would guess that most air force mechanics can't fly.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Not to argue- because these are just opinions- but I think the opposite. I think I am just as diligent if not more so than a jumper. jumpers are well aware of how they trash pack their mains and how little you really have to do to a canopy when packing. They do this day after day and the damn thing still works.... so why do you think a jumper would fully realize the need for consistency and care in packing? If anything I stick to the rules more because I am not interested in my husband or friend being a "test jumper" of something I "think will work".
If you think being responsible my husband or best friend's life is inconsequential to my life- you are wrong.

Many military riggers never step foot out of a plane.

Just one more opinion... :)

"If you're not on the centerline -you're out of control"

this is not true. they randomly pull a rigger off of the line and make them jump the pack jobs just to keep them honest.
--Richard--

I would as long as they were a rigger. Lots of famous people in the skydiving world are non jumpers. Judges and such. I'm sure there are riggers out there that don't jump. But yea, as long as you were a rigger and knew what you were doing, I'd let ya!!! B| Tell your hubby that it's pretty badass that his whuffo whife is interested in the sport, be it jumping or not. You have NO idea how rare that is!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

My first rigger was a non-jumper. She's been in the parachute industry for years.

PD actually uses "little-old-ladies" instead of skydivers in the sewing of their parachutes - they figure skydivers would just shrug and say "it'll work" while the non-jumpers are much more cautious!

W

this is not true. they randomly pull a rigger off of the line and make them jump the pack jobs just to keep them honest.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Be careful what you say.

It depends whether you are talking about Air Force, Army or Navy riggers.
Since the Air Force and Navy rarely fire ejection seats, your comment was irrelevant.

If you were referring to Army riggers, then your comment is valid. However, the Canadian Army schedules re-currency jumps months in advance.

Another thought I just had. I would say that most riggers or ppl who know how to pack a resurve would be fine with you packing theirs. I think it might be the "unknown" that would scare jumpers from having you pack their resurve. Just like with a main. For the most part alot of ppl don't care who packs their main as long as they know how. I think that is because the jumper is more aware of the paking (or lack of) that is or can be done to a main and it will still work. Were as with a resurve their are alot of ppl who don't have the slitest clue what goes on under thouse other flaps on their rig. and they may think that it is absolute perfection under their when in fact it is just another shute but one that needs to be handeled with a littel more care.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

Were as with a resurve their are alot of ppl who don't have the slitest clue what goes on under thouse other flaps

Which is something I can't understand... why wouldn't a jumper want to know exactly how their reserve operates and is packed? When I was actively rigging I encouraged my customers to watch me pack their reserve. I wasn't really surprised how few took me up on it...

Packing a reserve ain't rocket science. There's nothing involved in doing so that requires that the person doing it be a skydiver.

Yes, I would let a rigger who doesn't jump pack my rig. Absolutely.