schattenjaeger

So sucking at packing is normal at first, right?

When I packed my first few rigs, I watched as one of our packers could pack 3-4 tandem rigs in the time it took me to fully pack one regular rig.

I was slow, still am, but I can pack in the time one load goes up and comes down now.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Dont worry, we were talking today with some instructors about extra altitude, and they were saying its a waste of time, the extra 10 seconds of freefall, is the time they could use to finish closing their rigs before their sudents land.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

My hands hurt, and I was a bit humbled when my teacher got another parachute half-packed in the time it took me to get the main pin through the closing loop. Though I was having surprising trouble getting that pin to go >_<

I am right there with you, I learned last week and I SUCK!!! After the 30 minuets it takes me my teach pulls it out, looks at it and says, "yeah, that would of opened." :S I think the first time I jump it I am going to pull at 10k :P

I pack my rig once, to pass the class, i have never packed one since then.

Yup...same here. I'm not exactly proud of it but we have great packers. One in particular who I'm REALLY going to miss since she's going back to Canada soon. :(

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

I suck at packing, too! haha. I'm still trying, but I paid packers the other day when I took the canopy class, and boy was it nice. Go up, come down, manifest, go up, come down, manifest. .. No 25 minute blood boiling pack jobs in between! I felt so spoiled! Alas, 4 pack jobs is a jump ticket, actually, at my dz, 3 pack jobs is almost a ticket! So, i'll just sweat a bit and have an extra jump at the end of the day:)

Angela.

Yah, I second that! I really wanna be doing it myself, even though I trust our packers greatly. To me it seems akin to learning to drive and getting someone else to check your oil, air your tires, get gas, etc....ok, horrible analogy but you get the point(maybe). Heck, I'm not even too worried so long as I have someone supervising. I'm gonna get concerned when I'm doing it by myself and I have no one to look to every 5 seconds to make sure I didn't just tie my canopy in a knot unknowingly

After a while you will get better. Then you will realize that it is easier to throw your rig to a packer. You just get used to paying the extra 5 bucks a jump!:$

I don't think that I would ever get used to just paying the extra five bucks. The more I pack the better I get and the faster I can do it. If I can get it down to like 10 min to pack, on avg... thats like 35$/hr I am earning on my own.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't think that I would ever get used to just paying the extra five bucks. The more I pack the better I get and the faster I can do it. If I can get it down to like 10 min to pack, on avg... thats like 35$/hr I am earning on my own.

I can pack in 10 but I am lazy on days that begin with "T". -- Today, Tomorrow, Thaturday, Thunday.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I tried packing, it's way to scary. I made the adventurous decision to buy a heatwave as my first canopy, she like to be packed neatly. I have decided the packers pack jobs are much safer than mine. I’ll wait until I’m ready for a mal before I try packing again.

Dave
D830
http://www.skydiving.co.za

Yup...same here. I'm not exactly proud of it but we have great packers. One in particular who I'm REALLY going to miss since she's going back to Canada soon***

First off, i would rather pay the packer, so he can make some money, plus that is what they do all day. In 350 plus jumps, i had one bad opening, the one i packed:ph34r:

Two things that I found made a big difference in the time it takes me to pack (I've got about 80 jumps, probably half on my own pack jobs):

1) Practice, obviously. After you've done it even a few times it will speed up.

2) After you pack it a little crappily and it opens just fine, you will realize that some things just don't matter that much. I had the benefit of being taught by someone that highlighted the things that mattered, and played down those that are just style. Once you realize the crap that you can pack and still have it open nicely, you'll get a lot faster.

With time you will get better. Practice, practice, practice.

I know this tread isn't about using a packer, but some have brought up that subject. Here is my thoughts on it.

Sometimes I use a packer, but only if I know them. At this time in my life there are only a handful of people that I trust packing for me. Most times I'm at a different event held at a DZ that I am visiting and I don't know the packers. There is enough time between loads for me to pack for myself.
I've also found that when I pack for myself, I see things on my rig and main that need attention for preventive maintenance.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

While there's nothing wrong with using a packer, I feel that relying on one is a sad sate of affairs once you get experienced enough.

You'll get to a boogie or an off the beaten track gathering, and you'll be stuck. Not enough packers for the people wanting them, and instead of doing 7-10 jumps in a day, you'll do 2.

Thats besides the obvious "know you gear and see its wear status" argument.

I'd say use a packer at the very start (if you really need to), then make the commitment to learn and get proficient at packing your gear. Then, use packers again if you want.

As a fun jumper without a dedicated packer, I know I can pack quicker then if I leave my rig in a heap waiting in line for the packers.
Remster

don't worry it doesn't take that long to cut the time it takes for you to pack in half - it took ages for me to learn, and even longer before i was happy to jump my own, and once i did, i was saving one jump ticket out of every 4 jumps from packing fees, feeling happier that i was learning more about my equipment and was more responsible for my own safety (even though i trust my packers to a tee, i think it's important to know your gear, and take responsibility for yourself and your own well being, and packing certainly helps).

50 pack jobs or so down the line, you will think it's alot easier, that's for sure - just keep at it. And when you do get quicker, and are happy with your packing, try not to get complacent and pack quicker than normal/cut corners just to make a load.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

my first packjobs were close to an hour [:/]
now approx 7-10 minutes, so I have time for a quick cigarette before the next plane...

I know, If i didn't smoke, my lungs would be red I/O black, and I'd have mor jump money... Oooh... that's a good reason to quit smoking...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579