TribalTalon

how many people feel like this?

well, me and my friends have been arguing alot lately, i've given up all of my other hobbies just for sky diving, and they dont understand why. I try to tell them that when i'm flying i feel alive. like POD says, i.... i feel so alive, for the very first time is anybody else like that? my life is so boring and dull it feels like i'm almost dead sometimes, and sky diving just makes me feel so much better. hmm just a little ranting, but i'm just wondering how many of you feel the same way? (or if i'm just crazy, which is also entirely possible)

i hear ya man. i have been into sportbikes for years and have alot of friends that i ride with. but sincei took up this sport i have rode once in the last two months, and here in san diego i can ride all year. while we're on the subject anybody wanna buy a bike?
"GOT LEAD?"

Well, yeah, I pretty much feel like that. I haven't given up everything else, I still fly airplanes, but I've given up allot of other stuff. Jumping and flying are about the only things that matter to me in my life anymore!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I have found balance in my life. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy skydiving, but I don't live just for skydiving.
Living were I live I have so many other sports to get out and enjoy. Maybe after a few hundred jumps you'll find more balance in your life. I've see way too many people that have lost so much, cause they didn't have "self control." Most people that get hooked on one interest, have an addictive personality. Addictions will rip a life apart.
Now, go out there and have fun :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I've ben in the sport 3 years and in that time. I've sold my fishing boat(used it once in two years). Sold one of my four wheelers and think about skydiving first before anything else
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

I was like that for about the first year, now I'm starting to open up and accept other activities for my non-skydiving weekends. My absolute best friend (whuffo) and I will be going to the mountain for some Ski/snowboarding this year. It'll be his first year so I'll be teaching him to snowboard (seeing as I gave him my snowboard as a christmas present 2 years ago and he hasn't been allowed to use it yet because of his bastard parents)

That might have a lot to do with getting a good full time job and making good money though. I was skydiving on about 3-400 per month before :S

I'm trying to fit it in as best I can. With winter coming snowmobiling will help to pass the time, but when warm weather comes and the DZ opens in the spring watch out. I do try to balance it out, family picnics, work, birthday parties, tractor pulls, more work,fire department stuff, you get the picture. I would really like to convert some of my ground hog friends but I don't hold out much hope.

I hear ya there. I had a nice RC Helicopter that i just recently sold to help facilitate the purchase of my new rig and audible. I've been trying to liquidate some other items that i don't have a use for. (anyone interested in a 21' new tv, or a 7' mobile lcd ;)). I do believe in the balance though, as much as i love skydiving there is a certain point when i just have to sit a couple of loads out for a while. But the first one back is always a nice refresher.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Just to be different

I recently commented to my missus that given a choice of keeping one of my many sports I would keep windsurfing. It would be a tough choice, I love BASE & skydiving but Ireland sucks for the weather, whereas Ireland kicks ass for windsurfing.

;)

I have found balance in my life. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy skydiving, but I don't live just for skydiving.
Living were I live I have so many other sports to get out and enjoy. Maybe after a few hundred jumps you'll find more balance in your life. I've see way too many people that have lost so much, cause they didn't have "self control." Most people that get hooked on one interest, have an addictive personality. Addictions will rip a life apart.
Now, go out there and have fun :)

That is such a good point. The key to happiness IMHO is balance. There are lots of things in life that are great and skydiving is definitely one of them. But not the only great thing. Some skydivers eventually do burn out for whatever reasons... If skydiving becomes your life then what will be left of you when something like that happens.
I personally don't like to have all my eggs in the same basket for all aspects of my life because the day the bottom of the basket falls out I don't want to be SOL!
So by all means enjoy skydiving to the fullest but don't forget that life is bigger than a DZ...

My 0.2c

"We see the world just the way we are...

ditto on the balance thing, I try and keep as many whuffo friends as possible - just so that I don't talk about skydiving 24/7 and feed the obsession, I think it would just make me miserable that I'm too broke to do it more often.
And anyway I couldn't live without skiing, I get exactly the same feeling when I'm pelting down a slope with the wind screaming in my ears - but it lasts for more than 60seconds ;)
balance is key - in my opinion in order to stay sane, you have to have outside interests and outside friends