LivingInClip

Do you tip?

Question: It is customary to tip after a tandem? I've heard it is and I've heard you don't. I, myself have never done a tandem jump so I have zero clue, but I am hopin' to do one Nov 30.th and if its custom to tip, I want to tip. I don't want to come off as an asshole, if that makes sense. After all - this guy is taking me up in the air and holds my life in his hands..so to speak.
:ph34r:

You won't come across as an asshole if you don't tip. But if you feel your tandem instructor showed you a good time and you want to express your gratitude by tipping them, I would be willing to bet they would be very appreciative.
Miami

Question: It is customary to tip after a tandem? I've heard it is and I've heard you don't. I, myself have never done a tandem jump so I have zero clue, but I am hopin' to do one Nov 30.th and if its custom to tip, I want to tip. I don't want to come off as an asshole, if that makes sense. After all - this guy is taking me up in the air and holds my life in his hands..so to speak.
:ph34r:

When I did tandems in Florida the tourists tipped often. After I moved to Texas the tips were few. The tandem masters usually don't expect a tip, but they are appreciated. Some TI's won't accept them. Tip if you think that your instructor earned it.

never pull low......unless you are

Never mind the Tandem Master, what about the Video. As Video man I've had from 100 videos this year...
1) three $20 tips
2) 2 bottles of high grade alcohol
3) A t-shirt + skydiving googles:$ May be that video was not so good and he thought I could not see:P
4) Numerous thankyou e-mails

Never mind the Tandem Master, what about the Video. As Video man I've had from 100 videos this year...
1) three $20 tips
2) 2 bottles of high grade alcohol
3) A t-shirt + skydiving googles:$ May be that video was not so good and he thought I could not see:P
4) Numerous thankyou e-mails

I used to share my tips with the vidiot.

never pull low......unless you are

after my first tandem, my friend and I were both so overwhelmed that tipping didn't even occur to us until we were halfway home!

(but the guys did get plenty of beer after I finished AFF, so I guess I made up for it)

I wish they would put up a little sign saying "tips welcome, but not expected" or something like that, just to let people know its okay.

If I see a sign or jar or pitcher asking for tips, that's a sure way to guarantee no tip. I used to work for tips and it's about service, not trying to artificially set an expectation.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

very true... and I get put off if I see a sign like that in a restaurant or something, where we already know the rules...

however, a DZ is a very different environment, and these are whuffos we're talking about. they don't know whether or not tipping is appropriate. as long as the sign makes it clear that tipping is acceptable, yet NOT EXPECTED, I think its okay.

As a TM I don't want or expect a tip. I'm making a skydive and getting paid for it as it is... what more do I want? :P

Most people work harder if they know someone is tipping, I give everyone the same effort no matter what.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Most people work harder if they know someone is tipping, I give everyone the same effort no matter what.

I totally agree with that! However, if someone I took had a great experience and they want to toss a little extra something my way, then I'm not going to stop them. If its a lot (doubtful) then I'll see if they'd rather just take that money and put it down for another skydive in Manifest.

Honestly, the coolest thing was the guy that gave me the cigar. He stuck around the rest of the day and hung out, watching the jumping and such. At the end of the day, we grabed some beer went outside the hanger and smoked our cigars, chatting about skydiving and all sorts of stuff.

That was most definately kick-ass! Oh, he's been back and is going through AFF with us now, too.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Question: It is customary to tip after a tandem?
Speaking as a tandem Instructor that has worked both as a "weekend warrior" and a fulltime Instructor, I can say that Instructors that work as a fulltime Instructor on the DZ are more than happy to except a tip, if they have shown you a GREAT and SAFE time during your jump. The tandem Instructor that is doing it only on the weekends, and has a fulltime job outside of the DZ, may not choose to accept the tip, as he is only doing it for fun and the enjoyment of taking someone for their first jump maybe?
This is just my opinion and please dont take it as what all the tandem Instructor think, but if you have had a SAFE and FUN time doing your tandem feel free to tip your Instructor for his or her instruction.
$20 is customary, but I have had some even go as high as $100.:)Also, be sure to tip the camera guy, and make sure you tip them seperately, as I have had customers tell me they have given a tip to the cameraman and told them to "split it" with the tandem Instructor, that was on a turn around load with anothrer student and not able to watch the video dubbing, and for some reason the cameraman "forgot" to to give the half of the tip to the tandem Instructor.....:o:|
Just my 2 cents....
Have fun!

Ed

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I agree that everyone gets the same effort from me, but it is gratifying when someone has had such a good time that they feel it's worth their effort (and cash) to show you that they appreciate it.
Years ago, I worked at Macy's when they still had sporting goods, and a really nice Italian guy tipped me $10 for helping fit him with a $40 pair of soccer shoes. When I tried to protest, he replied that it was just his custom to tip, and he would be insulted if I didn't take it. Since then, I usually make at least a token effort to refuse tips, but accepting them graciously usually seems to be the best thing to do for both me and the student.

Besides, it always ends up in the beer fund or tipping the packers, so it goes to a good cause. ;)

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Besides, it always ends up in the beer fund or tipping the packers, so it goes to a good cause.

That's the way to do it. I was an office manager for five years at a busy Tandem DZ. Out of all the Tandem JMs only one would share his tips with us in the office by buying us lunch.

Where do you draw the line for tipping. Afterall, I would bust my ass to make sure the students got all the paper work done correct, and manifested. That's not easy in itself, having to figure out loads, JMs, are the rigs packed, do they need video, etc. What about the pilot that gave the tandem student a nice ride to altitude? What about that hard working packer? If JMs get tips, they need to spread it around, just like waitress do at restaurants, splitting their tips with the bartender and cook. That's the way I did it any way when I was a waitress.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Where do you draw the line for tipping. Afterall, I would bust my ass to make sure the students got all the paper work done correct, and manifested. That's not easy in itself, having to figure out loads, JMs, are the rigs packed, do they need video, etc. What about the pilot that gave the tandem student a nice ride to altitude? What about that hard working packer? If JMs get tips, they need to spread it around, just like waitress do at restaurants, splitting their tips with the bartender and cook. That's the way I did it any way when I was a waitress.

In the bar I work at a few times a week the cocktail waitress tips out the bartenders 10%and the cook 10%, the bartender tips out the cook 10% and the barback 20%.

Conversion in my mind would be:

Video tips out TM 20% and Manifest 10%

Tandem Master tips out Manifest 10%, Packer 10% and Pilot 10%.

Packer, Manifest, and Pilot no tip out expected.

Just what I think might be fair, i could be wrong.

nic

Let's see...working those percentages, on the rare occasion I actually GET tips, manifest, packer and pilot would get about...$1 or $2. Woohoo!

Think I'll just keep buying beer.

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

If the TM and video guy go out of their way (your opinion) to give you great service, a tip is appropriate.
The tip doesn't have to be big, it is the thought. If it's near the end of the day, wait around and buy them a beer or two, its as good as any monetary tip for a quality instructor.
If you do choose money, then $20 would be about tops, and the TM/video should share it.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.