Skye23

Do I stop skydiving?

Hey all,

I'm new here, and was hoping that maybe my fellow skydivers could give me some advice with my dilemma. About 6 months ago I moved away to a totally different part of the country. I am originally from up north, and was looking forward to being able to skydive year round. Up to this point skydiving has been my life, but when I got here things didn't turn out at all like i imagined. The dropzone thats closest to me ended up being one of the unfriendliest places I ever been too. Its pretty small, and most of the jumpers are older, and have been there for years. I've been to a dozen other dropzones all around the country, and in every case I have made friends, and felt totally accepted. The way that ur community is so close knit is one of the reasons that I love skydiving so much, and I thought that t was like that everywhere. But I guess not.
I have barely jumped at all ths past summer because I feel so uncomfortable going to the droopzone. It just makes me bitter and angry that I basically have to give p the thing that maters to me the most. So what do I do? :(

I'm sure everyone's natural question is "what DZ are you talking about." Anyway, maybe you should consider a longer drive to a DZ that is more appealing to you. Some jumpers are essentially boogie-only jumpers, which means fewer weekends at the DZ, but a pretty active scene when you go. Unfortunately, you need to have a group to connect with to have the best time at a boogie.

Bottom line: give it another try. Don't let others dictate your fun, or lack thereof.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Dont - dont do it! you can't give up!!!
find the next nearest dropzone to you? Or get some of your old mates(or convert new ones) to come with you a few times and break into the clique slowly, or convince a cute female to take up skydiving there - and I reckon the older guys will take a new liking to you ;)
you only need to make one friend to do two ways and build from there

I never thought that it would affect me either, but its kind of difficult not to let it after 6 months of just sitting at a dz and not have anyone to talk to o to jump with. Back home, every time there was a new jumper at my dz, everyone, including myself would make a concious effort to make them feel at home. Yes, my main desire when I get to a dz is to skydive, but its also about the vibes you get from the place, and the vibes here are so bad that i don't even enjoy jumping anymore.

I am a firm believer in making your self known what ever it takes. Go up to the middle of the group and say something like" how do I get in this clique of tight ass rude people 'cause I want to be rude and an ass like you guys!!" This will either work one of two ways--your in or your not and you weren't in to begin with so go for it!!

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Bug out to a different DZ. Six month's is long enough to feel the vibes. Find another DZ that will make you happy, there's plenty of them.

There's a reason there aren't any new jumpers at the DZ your at.There not needed or wanted.

Don't worry be happy
R.I.P.

Do a search on this site and find .commers who are near you, (or post in Places to Jump), organize a weekend of jumping at the dz most convenient to everyone, and tell the old farts to get their heads out of their asses and start acting like skydivers.
If you are anywhere near me, PM me, I'll jump with you, and then I'll beat the friendly out of the rest of the dz. B|:ph34r:

Stick with it. I moved from my home DZ with 23 jumps. It absolutely sucked for a while, I did a bunch of solos, and 2-ways because I just wanted to skydive.

If there are some low time jumpers on that DZ, jump with them.

Eventually people will get to know and see you and you will be jumping with the normal crowd.

S.
Spaceland Directe

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! I echo what almost everyone here has said... go find another DZ that is more friendly.. Florida, from what I hear has allot of DZs so you should be able to locate another one that is relatively near. So a search on here and find one that suits your needs. Good luck.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Been there. Go somewhere else. Skydiving isn't half as cool when you can't share the experience with friends. Find a DZ with supportive people and enthusiastic coaches. It's hard to relax and thus skydive well if you feel crap. Just do it... Good luck.

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

skye23 as you said skydiving has been your life so there is no way you can throw your life away and quit,because others at your new DZ are a closed clique.Stay in contact with your skydiving friends you met before, jump at boogies, move around with them at different DZs. Just be yourself, open and ready to make new friends.I learned skydivers are like a big family.;)

Persevere. My advice is to have a chat with the CI. Its not in the interests of any DZ to put off potential members. Don't forget, they are all operating as businesses, so for a CI or owner to learn that they are losing money because of the attitudes of their members is going to raise an eyebrow. Go to the CI and talk to them as if they are a child. What I mean by that is, leave all your emotion at home and simply say it like it is, really calmly, how it makes you feel, and so on. If you sit down with the CI and say "can we have a chat bout some stuff" in a really calm voice then chances are he or she will listen. If you are insulting, abusive or defensive, chances are you'll be met by the same.

Good luck***Die with yer boots on

People's attitude towards me never has/never will effect me. How friendly a certain DZ is has no bearing to me. For some people it bothers them. I personally could care less even if they are down-right rude. I am there to skydive, not make friends.

I can not resist this, in relationship to your post, what is your point with your sig?
when you lose it in this post?
"The friend of my enemy is my enemy
The enemy of my friend is my enemy
But the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Can´t you just make a decision on it´s own merits instead of what others think? you show potential.
take care,
space

This has got me really annoyed how dare they bugger you like this. I agree what darrenspooner said above, speak to the CI, but if you dont get any response the next time any of them jumpers blank you just walk over and ask them 'how dare they treat you like this'. If this dz is soo unfriendly i want them to be named and shamed and of course there are 2 sides to every storey, so i want them to responed, they must know who they are.

Good luck dude

NO YOU DON'T STOP!!!!! B|

I'm sorry about your bad experience, and it's a shame that those people had their heads stuck up their asses, but let's face it, some DZ's are just like that. If you're in Ohio (I doubt it, but hey!! ;)) drop me a line and we'll have some fun. B|

Don't give up!!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.