mfrese

Anyone gotten burned out on skydiving?

So, I'm having one of those days where I'm seriously thinking about selling all my gear and hanging it up. Greedy DZOs, lazy S&TAs, dead friends, money, attitudes, and too much other shit to catalogue have left me ready to just walk away from a sport that I've loved since the first two seconds of my first jump nine years ago. I'm almost shocked that I'm even thinking about this, but the last few weeks have made me realize that I've reached a point where I'm just not sure the joy is worth the hassle...or if there's even any actual joy left.

So my question is...has this ever happened to you, and if so, what did you do about it? I appreciate any feedback from anyone, but I'm especially hoping some of you longtime jumpers can reassure me that it's just a phase, and it'll pass if I give it a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I quit for nearly 5 years in the early '90's. Now that I'm back in (nearly 5 years now - started in '87) it's with more enjoyment, passion, commitment etc.

One thing, if you do quit, don't sell the gear. When (not if) you come back, you'll want it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've started to feel that way a few times. I've got my own solution for next year to help prevent burn out... quit hauling meat around. The times I was most unhappy at the DZ were usually directly related to the amount of student jumps I was doing in a day. It made me lose energy fast to be dragging people out of the plane that probally could never handle solo jumps, have to convince them that there was nothing to it and they would be perfectly fine 100% of the day. It made me depressed to see my friends off planning a dive that I would loved to have been on only to have manifest page "Eric to manifest, Level 1 tandem".

I love tandems... but unless I was going to make my sole income off of them, I think I'm done doing them.

Getting out of the staff loop will get rid of all sorts of stress and detracters from fun at the DZ too for me. At that point I will no longer feel its my responcibility to make sure everyone is doing great 100% of the time and make sure the whuffos are entertained while waiting on planes. Then I can do what I want to, with out having some one yelling at me that I need to go faster or something else stupid like that.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Meat-hauling is definitely one of the things causing the problem...but some days it's really great, some days it really sucks. I was actually talking to a former passenger on Saturday, and she kept going on and on about how wonderful it was, what a great experience, etc. Of course, she will probably never do it again, but seeing her eyes light up recalling it was one of the few bright spots that day. 'Course, you'll notice I didn't even bother calling her a student...;)

I can see where the staff shit could be pretty ugly/depressing and also jumping at a dz that's just not fun ie. Jumper skills are low and the jumps never turn out good. Been visiting a couple of different dz's lately where the skills are nowhere near the skills of the(many) jumpers at my home dz and it kinda takes the wind out of my sails, not wanting to get on every load I can. I'm kind of spoiled jumping with some world class jumpers/organizers at my home dz. Now, when the jumpers are not around, I wait for some quality jumps over quantity.

Of course, she will probably never do it again,

You never know... I was definitely one of those "passengers" for my tandem. Thought I'd only do it once, just for the experience... also thought I could never jump myself out of a plane. When I got back down I was hooked, and eventually I found out I was wrong on both of my assumptions!

I'm seriously thinking about selling all my gear and hanging it up. Greedy DZOs, lazy S&TAs, dead friends, money, attitudes, and too much other shit to catalogue have left me ready to just walk away

Yep I feel that way alot these days. Its really just getting sick of snot nosed kids with 100 jumps who know it all and will not listen to anyone else.

I'm almost shocked that I'm even thinking about this, but the last few weeks have made me realize that I've reached a point where I'm just not sure the joy is worth the hassle...or if there's even any actual joy left.

Well when you consider that most people don't stay in the sport more than 3 years.

Life happens. People get married, divorced, have kids, get new jobs, have friends die...Just get sick of the bull shit.

So my question is...has this ever happened to you, and if so, what did you do about it?

Found a new hobby that I do atleast one day a weekend. I still jump, but not as much as I did.
Last year I really only did team jumps and a handful of tandems.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Dude,
Tandems got you down? I do alot of student jumps, tandems and AFF. They completely support my addiction and allow me to buy cool new gear. I occasionaly coach and though the jumps aren't high speed I get my opportunity to teach and subsequently attempt to recruit more bellyfliers(a dying species;)) I try to get more people interested in FS. That gives me something to look forward to. I also like to swoop and skydive in general. If all else has got you bored to tears with skydiving I offer one word of advice...BASE!
In one way or another IT will change your life.

You never know... I was definitely one of those "passengers" for my tandem. Thought I'd only do it once, just for the experience... also thought I could never jump myself out of a plane. When I got back down I was hooked, and eventually I found out I was wrong on both of my assumptions!

Good point. I did my first tandem 3 1/2 years ago. Loved it but just figured I was a dreamer regarding actually taking up the sport. Well, I just got off student status last week and am stacking up the solos as much as possible now. The lingering desire to skydive was always there I just never did anything about it until now. So, you never really know.

Actually, this lady was pretty adamant that she would never do it by herself, but she would probably do a tandem again. A standing joke with TMs around the world is we should all be wearing a "Please exit this ride to the right" T-shirt or something equivalent.

Frankly, that's one of the weird things about tandems...in a few cases you're starting someone down an interesting and fulfilling path (I think), but for the most part, you're just a freakin' amusement park ride, and you never really get to know your student at all. At best, they're non-troublesome
ballast; at worst, they're actively trying to kill you while thinking they're having a great time. And after reading that, I'm thinking "Gee, I'm just a little ray of fucking sunshine today, arent I"? ;)

Actually, this lady was pretty adamant that she would never do it by herself, but she would probably do a tandem again. A standing joke with TMs around the world is we should all be wearing a "Please exit this ride to the right" T-shirt or something equivalent.

I bet my tandem instructor would have said that about me after my jump... and actually, I initially thought I would just do another tandem. The desire to NOT just be an amusement park ride passenger was one of the things that made me decide to do AFF instead. It just took me a while to decide that I really could jump myself out of a plane.

But yeah, most people probably never do come back... what do I know, I'm just a newbie. :)

Hey, it's newbies that have kept me sane for the most part...it's still fun to see people just starting out, and try to remember what it was like for me back then. So don't ever categorize yourself as "just a newbie", you're one of the people keeping the sport alive. ;)
And if you get a chance, tell Justin (the Otter pilot) that Mike and Lynn say hi, and he still sucks in the nicest possible way ;)

>At best, they're non-troublesome ballast; at worst, they're actively trying to kill you while thinking they're having a great time.

Damn.. thats a great way of describing how I feel some days doing tandems. :ph34r:

I'm going to be happy to let my tandem rating expire the week of WFFC next summer now that I put more thought into it. :)
One of the greatest joys I've had as a TM was when a girl I took on her first tandem graduated student status. Knowing that I introduced someone to jumping, then they stuck with it... great feeling. Trying to land a tandem with a 235 pound frat boy that can't lift his feet or help on the flare in the middle of summer on no wind days? Reason enough to never do another tandem.

>And after reading that, I'm thinking "Gee, I'm just a little ray of fucking sunshine today, arent I"?

At least you're not alone ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As a passenger a few years ago (see my other post), I want you know that many passengers appreciate the TM's. Expecially if you are able to take a little extra time with your passenger. On my first tandem, the TM had a great personality and seemed genuinely interested in my experience of the whole ordeal. He even asked me to sign his book and requested comments from me before he ran off for another jump. I remember he had over 2,000 jumps. I went a week later (Sisters 18th b-day) with a different TM who had a very 'dry' personality. It seemed like I was just a number. He dissappeared right after my jump. The jump was OK, but not nearly as memorable as the first.

Well, i'm not a haggard old veteran by any means, in fact i'm still a newbie, i made my tandem jump november 2nd. Since then i took my FJC course and am steadily progressing through AFF. If it hadnt been for my awesome jump master (Mike Smith), i probably would not have decided to keep jumping. Whenever i had a question, he was always willing to help, and for that i'm deeply grateful. I hope that when i get my A license, that he'll be there, because there's gonna be a case of beer that i expect him to take care of. ;) Seriously, its guys like him and guys like you that bring in people to this sport. Sure, the vast majority of tandems probably will never jump again, but you never know who might be back the next weekend, and the next, and the next, much to the chagrin of my now second home, SDH. :D:D J/K

Well, reading this kind of sucks. I just got my tandem rating so i COULD do something different. I was looking forward to sharing the excitement of first time jumpers. Thanks a lot Eric.:P:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I have taken three breaks from the sport, all for different reasons. I quit one time because I was too broke to jump, then another time because I was bored with the kind of skydiving I was doing. Later, I walked basically away because all my jumping friends sided with my ex-wife (their teammate) after our divorce. In all that, only once did I ever sell my "last" rig. I went without gear for about a year once, but still made enough jumps to maintain my ratings. I must also say that when I say I quit, that I mean that I wasn't a regular jumper; I had other all-encompassing hobbies, but still jumped a few times a year at my Dad's place.

Nowadays there are so many different disciplines to get involved in and so many decent dropzones around, I find it easier to just "change gears" and move to a different dropzone if you are not happy where you are.

My biggest advice to you would be that you do NOT sell your gear. You would probably take a big loss anyway, so you might as well keep it that way you are not sucking when you decide to come back. There are people on here who have taken 25 year breaks, yet eventually come back to the sport with the fervor they originally had.

Skydiving is a very social sport. It becomes all-encompassing to many people. What runs most people off from the sport is lack of a suitable social circle on the dropzone. Well, that and lack of funds. You can always get around the funds issue by pimping yourself out on the dropzone as a packaho, rigger, or instructor. In the end, it's all about how important it is to you. If it's not, then you ought not feel bad about walking away. My breaks from the sport were very, very rewarding. I became incredibly good at several different sports, plus had a blast building several very-big trucks and some ultra-nice cars. All those were very satisifying, but alas I couldn't stay away, nor did I intend to for long.

The thing that sucks most about it is that while I have a LOT of skydives, some of my best friends have nearly three times as many because they never took any breaks.

Chuck

Chuck

First off let me say I am a newbie and nowhere near the "burned out" stage. I have watched many tandems (40 one day) go up and come down and I always wonder if any of them will ever come back. I know it is a lot of work to do the tandems, and I realize each and every time the risks you take trying to control a passenger that is unruly and won't do what they are supposed to. But I also have watched some of you take up the paraplegic who just knows that if his body parts worked correctly - he would be there in the sky without you attached - and the senior citizen who wants to feel young again, and the guy or girl dying of cancer that has one last wish to skydive. You make these things happen for them. Without you this would be an impossibility.

I never did a tandem. Just started with AFF 1 - mainly because I was sure this is something I would want to do again and again. My FJC instructor and every single one of my JM's have been ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. I have jumped with nearly every instructor at my DZ and not one of them made me feel insignificant. All of them made me feel important and gave me the courage to go and do it again. I cannot wait to graduate AFF so I can show them all my appreciation. My log book is filled with such wonderful memories of each of my jumps.

Please - I know that it is tough and sometimes the regulations and rules take the fun out of what you are doing. . .but please don't quit. . .there are too many me's who need you all. Please know that you are all appreciated.
FGF #6
Darcy

And if you get a chance, tell Justin (the Otter pilot) that Mike and Lynn say hi, and he still sucks in the nicest possible way ;)

As long as Emily is on the plane we get a lil extra alti from him.:ph34r: Hop-n-pops from 8 grand are nice, too.:o He's not a bad freakflyer, either. I think he's in Mammoth for a couple of days making use of that brand new season pass of his. I'll see him at the Staff party Thursday and tell him you said he still sucks.B|

but for the most part, you're just a freakin' amusement park ride, and you never really get to know your student at all

Yup. I think it was the one who told me "I'm so glad you're here to take care of me" before we jumped that sealed the deal for me.

I've "quit" jumping twice - both times for about 6 months, both times because I was fed up with many of the same things you're fed up with. I found that taking a break did wonders for my attitude toward jumping... and when I got back in the air after the second break I swore from that point on all my jumps would be for me - not for money, not for a student, not for anything other than me wanting to enjoy jumping.

Eric, I figured you'd last at least a whole year... if you quit now I'll lose the "when phreezone will get fed up with tandems" pool! :P

Hey, tandems are definitely different. ;) And I don't want to give the impression that it's just the tandems making me want to hang it up. But truly, you're gonna have some real up-and-down feelings about tandems (pardon the lousy unintentional pun) if you do more than a few.

Some of it depends on the type of DZ you're at. If it's a little quieter, slower paced, and allows you to spend some time with the student before the jump, it'll probably be pretty cool. If it's a tandem factory where you're literally meeting your student on the plane after unhooking the last one, grabbing a rig, and heading to the plane, then I'd try to work elsewhere until you have a few hundred tandems under your belt, cuz that environment will burn you out quick as a newbie IMHO. Good luck!