Nightingale

How necessary are booties?

Booties are not a must for RW! They are of significant value in RW. Especially the bigger RW you get into. Why would you take a knife to a gunfight? Why not use the technology to your advantage. When tracking, it's like kickin in the afterburners! You may use that suit for 1000 jumps, why not get what you'll use that long?
:)

I have to vote with the old farts. Learn to fly without them and if you "feel the need for speed" then go for it.

Full face helmets & booties all that stuff was started by the Teams that decided it would give them a competitive advantage. Then it trickeled down to fun jumpers and now "less experienced" jumpers.

Ever see the little kids playing T-ball and wearing a batting glove. They want to be like the pro's.

Power steering? Why worry about it if your driving a lawn mower?

We discussed the bootie issue with some of the pro's and their response was something like how many jumps you got? going to compete? don't worry about it.

Me thinks some of your skydiving sisters have some jumpsuits w/o booties that they won't miss for a weekend. Borrow it and try it out.

BTW if you get the full face helmet be sure you get the nice custom fit padded helmet bag that match's the colors of the rest of your gear.

Everyone has a opinion there just not always the same.

R.I.P.

How necessary are booties for someone who wants to do RW?

If you need them, you can't fly.

Blue skies,

Winsor

-

I feel much the same about my canopy.

ROFL

A Classic!

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Windsor, you know I love you and respect you, but come on now. It's like someone else said

It's like having power steering.

I can drive my van just fine, but the power steering makes it easier. So why not make skydiving easier? Let's not make the newbies have to suffer like we did learning ;)

I didn't say they weren't worthwhile, nor did I say that one shouldn't use them. I'm pretty sure I have two or three jumpsuits with booties.

I would, however, suggest making enough skydives with a minimum of accessories (say T-shirt, shorts and footgear) to make any of the nifty features of your jumpsuit nothing more than icing on the cake.

Just because someone has them doesn't mean they NEED them. Semantics rears its ugly head....

Blue skies,

Winsor

They are of significant value in RW. Especially the bigger RW you get into.

I think they are of more value in smaller faster ways...I would do a 100way without booties much sooner than a 4way without booties.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Power steering? Why worry about it if your driving a lawn mower?

So you have a really good handling lawn mower?

I don't think they are NEEDED....But it is nice.

Again its like doing acro in a Cessna 150 aerobat, or a Pitts Special. I can't do everything the Pitts can do, but its lots of fun to fly
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't have booties on my suit, but I think I'll get them added soon. I did some tunnel time last week with Joey Jones from Deland Majik, learning the mantis position. I'm not kidding when I say he sounded like a bootie salesman (no, not a pimp). He definitely made it clear that they give a huge advantage for RW. He went as far as to say they're like cheating, but legal.

One guy in the group I was with at the tunnel, who had 19 jumps, borrowed a bootie suit for the first half of his tunnel time, then had to switch to one of the tunnel suits for the second half. There was an unbelievable difference in his flying abilities with the bootie suit. It made me a believer.

Dave

Booties - get them now and you won't have to unlearn bad stuff. Also, having booties added later is not optimal and is a weaker cut than having them original. (if they make you too dynamic, you can fold them inside your pant leg for a bit.... - but don't do it right away, give them a chance and you'll like them tons).

Also, start learning the Mantis right away. Again, why unlearn bad habits. We are starting some of our newbies with Mantis right at A license time and they are doing PHENOMINAL.

(This is from the perspective of "why learn RW unless you want to be fast", if you just want to 'have fun' then :(I just can't look at you right now:(. If you just want to have 'fun' then be comfortable, but you'll still like the booties. And it's fun to go fast.

Maybe not necessary, but a must have.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think they are of more value in smaller faster ways...I would do a 100way without booties much sooner than a 4way without booties.

Maybe. For my part, I like to be able to get well away from the others at breakoff on a big way. Booties help enormously. As far as I'm concerned they are a safety accessory for big ways.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Maybe. For my part, I like to be able to get well away from the others at breakoff on a big way. Booties help enormously. As far as I'm concerned they are a safety accessory for big ways.

good point....Better yet just don't do bigways.

;)

good point....Better yet just don't do bigways.

;)

Or, be in Da Base, go low on break off and wait for everyone else to get away from you. (yea, that was a joke). I don't wear booties when setting base, yet on breakoff my gravity challenged body can catch up to those that docked on me during tracking. My tracking improved once I took the training wheels off my jumpsuit - I'm sure once I get another suit with booties I will be even faster.

Booties -are- like power steering....and -are- like afterburners when tracking. They allow your legs to have alot more control over skydive maneuvers.

Just one little tidbit of information to add. Booties -will- slow your freefall speed down! So, when I have my booties on, I have to wear a few more lbs of weight. If I have a heavier than normal AFF student, I take my booties OFF and that really gives me an advantage.

I LOVE flying with booties, and perfer to have that extra added advantage when flying with people. My first 200 or so jumps, however, were done with shorts and a t-shirt! Why did I need a jumpsuit in Palm Springs? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

By the same token, booties will give you a false sense of how much you are extending your legs while trying to get big to slow down. Watch someone outside a big way trying to catch air and come back up to it. They think those legs are out there...but because the booties are catching air, they feel like they are getting as big as possible....and they are not.
I like booties, but don't care if I got them or not. I think they offer the biggest advantage in trackling and turns.
When I'm feeling short for my weight, so to speak....having a concentrated field of gravity, I break out mu thick and baggy suit. Then I can fall like a regular person.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

On big ways, fear can sometimes make up for the lack of booties at break off.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I actually sort of "need" booties. They give me an edge in fall-rate control, specifically slowing down, which a guy of my size uses every once in a while

There is another way...Its called cardio fat boy:P

I have been advised by several of my AFF instructors that I should get some solid RW skills down first, and then look to freeflying later on.

Nightingale,
I was told the same thing as you. I currently own a jumpsuit without booties, so I have known nothing different. I am going to the tunnel in a few weeks, so I am just gonna do the coaching w/o the booties, however, I am now quite excited to get them sometime soon. I'll let ya know if it is a big change or not- hopefully it helps, but I am still able to fly!
Good luck deciding
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

I have to admit, I was told to get the booties on my first jump suit (along with swoop cords...but decided not to considering I didn't know what they were for at the time...:S) Take some rubber bands ...usually lying around all over the place... and put it around the booties and as someone else said previously, tuck them into the legs of your jumpsuit. That was how I finished AFF, and I did several solos with my bootiesto get used to them, and on a couple of tracking dives (on tracking dives in particular, you will enjoy them...:) Cheers...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

It's already been said, you don't HAVE to have them, but they sure make a difference.

I started out without 'em. When I bought my first bootie suit, my first thought was "What took me so long?".

Blues,

Bob P.

I did about 400 RW jumps before getting a suit with booties. Don't think I learned anything special.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.